GURPS: Illuminati University game wanted.

Started by Ajoxer, November 09, 2005, 04:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ajoxer

It is, simply put, my favorite setting ever- Because anything can happen. And the fact that it parodies college life is fun... I'd love to play a game of this, somehow.
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Menulis

I would definately join a game of IOU, awesome setting, awesome system.
I have nothing to declare but my genius. -Oscar Wilde

Vandren

I'd definitely be interested as a player (in nearly anything GURPS).  Can't run it, though.  Too many other things online and off.  Though I used to run an IOU based freeform game on RPOL.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Valkos

For those of us not familiar with Illuminati Universityor gurps, can someone tell us more about it?
Hogwarts: Denora Crabin, Ebyn Farmer
Urban Arcana- Yancey Square: Zi, ChangĀ  "Daisy"
Dark Side of the Senshi: Kaiou, Michiru
Elven Maiden vs. Human Barbarian: Unther/Telen'mar

*have AIM, YIM, ICQ, and MSNĀ  feel free to say hi

Ajoxer

GURPS: Generic Universal Role Playing System. Known for an incredible amount of customization- probably the most in any game- and a great number of settings, complete with interesting bits on how to run them.

Illuminati University: Campus setting, which allows access to basically all the other books. There's a local OGRE- A massive goddamn tank. Psychics. Vampires. Alternate universes. And The Archdean, who is hot.

And it's all illustrated by the Phoglios... or Foglios... Girl Genius people.

Highly hot.
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Jefepato

I'd join a game of this.  I can't find the Illuminati University book anywhere, but it sounds unspeakably awesome.

Ajoxer

It is. I managed to snag a copy from my school... The professors have one of three levels of Treatment, which protects them from the massive levels of damage tossed around. School lunches are oftentimes fatal, and projects nearly always so. Luckily, the school clinic has a number of useful methods for resurrecting those who find themselves so unfortunated, and an even larger number of extremely painful or disturbing methods.

Vandren

Here's a copy of GURPS Lite 3rd ed., all the basics of GURPS.

For the IOU book, try eBay and Half.com  That's where I got my copy (it's currently out of print, since GURPS went to 4th ed.).

On Half.com
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Jefepato

I have plenty of GURPS books (and currently I'm laughing at how much the 4th-edition Magic book didn't change), but that one seems to elude me.  Would an IU game be playable without the setting book itself, given a sufficient variety of sourcebooks and a basic explanation of the setting?

Vandren

Quote from: Jefepato on November 11, 2005, 09:54:14 AM
I have plenty of GURPS books (and currently I'm laughing at how much the 4th-edition Magic book didn't change), but that one seems to elude me.  Would an IU game be playable without the setting book itself, given a sufficient variety of sourcebooks and a basic explanation of the setting?

Definitely.  A new student, for instance, would likely have no clue about the setting and could come from quite literally anywhere.  Last three IOU games I was involved in, I played an SF Viking, an Aztec priest, and a humanoid rabbit mage.  In the third game, there was also a Discworld assassin, a sentient pair of shoes, a talking flying cat, a fully normal human, and an Elf with super speed.

(I too have either far too many or far too few GURPS books.  ;))

RogueJedi

Sounds quite fun.  I have never played GURPS but this intrigues me.  I wanna know more...

Jefepato

Vandren

Quote from: RogueJedi on November 11, 2005, 12:32:22 PMSounds quite fun.  I have never played GURPS but this intrigues me.  I wanna know more...

Here's the info link to the SJGames IOU page:

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/IOU/

Turns out they still have copies available (for 1/2 the cover price).  :)

The simplified rules for the system are linked in my post below.

Ajoxer

What system do you suppose would be best for a game here? Silly, Weird, or Darkly Illuminated?

Jefepato

Given that I know only the names and not what the three styles actually mean, I'm assuming somewhere between Silly and Weird.  (IOU sounds like a pretty deadly setting -- which ordinarily might bother me given the complexity of GURPS characters -- but if Paranoia is any indication, I wouldn't expect a game on Elliquiy to involve much PC death...)

Ajoxer

Well, player death involves waking up the next day in the Lazarus Health Center, so no worries.

Vandren

Personally, I think Weird brings in the widest audience of players, as a style.  The middle ground can include the Silly and the Darkly Illuminated, yet is much more sustainable than the Silly (haven't found a purely humor based game that's lasted longer than a couple months/sessions before fizzling out yet) and more laid back than the Darkly Illuminated.

Vandren

Quote from: Ajoxer on November 12, 2005, 03:52:09 PM
Well, player death involves waking up the next day in the Lazarus Health Center, so no worries.

Assuming, of course, that the character has Insurance.  And that the docs (GM) don't make "improvements" during the revivication process.  ;)

Jefepato

Just got my hands on a copy of this.  It's positively brilliant.

The question is, who has the wherewithal to actually run it?  And would we be talking 3e GURPS, or a conversion to 4e?

Vandren

Quote from: Jefepato on November 13, 2005, 12:02:48 PM
Just got my hands on a copy of this.  It's positively brilliant.

The question is, who has the wherewithal to actually run it?  And would we be talking 3e GURPS, or a conversion to 4e?

I'd be ok with running a Weird IOU game, but I'm already stretched a bit thin (at least until mid-December) and already have a WoD game in the works, which is taking a lot of my non-school/hang out with wife time.  :(

Jefepato

Most unfortunate (although I'd be happy to play in December if you ran it then).

Vandren

I'll consider it.  :)  But, before doing that, I'll need to know the following:

1) Definite interest for at least 4 players
2) Weird, Silly, or Darkly Illuminated?
3) All freshthings as PCs?  Or would you prefer to include upperclassthings?  Grads?  Faculty?
4) Very GM directed, GM hands off, or optional plots?
5) All PCs together in a classic party or what happens happens?
6) What section of Elliquiy?

Jefepato

1) Count me in
2) Weird, allowing for variation in either direction
3) I wouldn't mind either way, but upperclassthings have a lot more points to play with, so a mixed group might not be bright.  Grads might be amusing; I'd rather not have PC faculty.
4) Optional plots.  Things that are likely to draw PC attention, but without much interference if the PCs are doing fine on their own (unless it would be funnier to interfere).
5) I'd prefer some impetus to come together sometimes (like, we're all assigned to the same group presentation in one class), but without hardcore "you all meet in a tavern" group-ness.
6) Probably NCES.  Not that I'd plan on tentacle sex or anything, it's just that Illuminati University is weird enough that we should account for all possibilities.  (Most games in that section don't get that deviant, anyway.)

Ajoxer

1) Yah!
2) Same as Jefepato's, really.
3) I'm good with any class- Freshthings, Upperclassthings, but everone should be at the same level.
4) The optional plots sound like fun.
5) Yeah, having the group have reasons to be together is good.
6) Yeah, let's face it, there are Democrats for Cthulu. NCES WILL happen eventually...

Ajoxer