Word of the Day - Chatter and Discussion

Started by Britwitch, December 30, 2018, 10:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Britwitch

Quote from: echoes on August 28, 2019, 11:04:29 AM
Oops. I didn't recognize the date on the post that said the WotD was a favorite of yours.

My bad.

E.

No worries :D and as it happens, today's word is actually another of my favourites. ;D

Current status : Selectively seeking new stories

Britwitch

Congratulations!

echoes you met the 25 post challenge!

Looking forward to seeing plenty more from you in the future.

Feel free to add one of the Bronze 25 badges to your sig, if you like!

[img]https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/0/0a/Wotd1_25.png[/img]

or

[img]https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/5/57/Wotd1_25bg.png[/img]

Your next milestone is 50 posts!

echoes

Mmm shiney

Daeva

Absences Updated 6/15/22 Selectively Accepting New Stories
Ons and Offs & Current Story List | Desired RP's

Mellific

Today's word of the day is a song by Kittie. For any who thought it looked familiar (and are into girl metal bands from the early 2000's). ^^

O/O | A/A | MM

Daeva

Mellific

Quote from: Daeva on August 31, 2019, 09:26:24 AM
Thats a cool piece of trivia :)

Thanks! I just figured I would share because as soon as I saw the word, I thought of that song, lol.

O/O | A/A | MM

echoes

That was their one song that got a lot of radio play at the time thought I don't think they got much label support . Maybe I just thought that they were underrated in their potential. At the time I was more of a Snake River Conspiracy person after seeing them open for A Perfect Circle on the Mer de Noms tour.

(Melific is more than likely not surprised I'm in here talking music.)

Mellific

Lol, not surprised at all. I admit, I only really enjoyed two or three of Kittie's songs, after buying two of their albums. But, I did like Brakish so much that it made it onto several of my mixed CD's. I agree, they had some serious potential, but I also feel like they just didn't have a big enough break.

O/O | A/A | MM

echoes

The timing wasn't good for a nu-metal sound. This is the heyday of Britney, Christina and Boy Bands. Eminem is dominating rap at the moment and most alternative does not have this edgy of a sound. Notable exceptions here would be A Perfect Circle (though most of their Mer de Noms albums is not the slap in the face that Judith is) and a favorite of yours, the Deftones. ( I think this is about the time of Change (In the House of Flies). Their only peer at the time as a female fronted metal sound would be Snake River Conspiracy and even then SRC was a bit more artsy that the driving sound of just guitars and drums.

Lilias

Quote from: echoes on August 31, 2019, 11:47:38 AM
Their only peer at the time as a female fronted metal sound would be Snake River Conspiracy and even then SRC was a bit more artsy that the driving sound of just guitars and drums.

Only because Nightwish and Lacuna Coil had not crossed the Atlantic yet...
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

echoes

True Lilias but the difference in the melodious sounds of those two and Kittie and pretty hard to ignore. Nightwish is pretty operatic and Lacuna Coil I would almost call soulful Gothic (the combo of Christina and Andrea is hard to beat in that genre.) I would say closer to the all out rock aspect would have been the Guano Apes (Their cover of Big in Japan turns the song from a proto-emo whine fest into a solid rocker.)

Kittie should have come out about 5 years earlier to capitalize on the success of Garbage and act as the metal balance to groups like Veruca Salt, Elastica, Luscious Jackson, Republica, Poe, Liz Phair and so on.

If I am boring everyone talking music tell me, if the name didn't give it away but sound is a thing of mine.

Remec

Quote from: echoes on August 31, 2019, 08:34:57 PM
If I am boring everyone talking music tell me, if the name didn't give it away but sound is a thing of mine.

Not bored here, yet. Too busy adding names of artists and acts to a list of add-ons for my Youtube mixes. Have been listening to female fronted metal/gothic/etc bands for a while...still waiting for my schedule and finances to coincide with the next time In This Moment passes through here (they'll be here in Oct, but it's sold out already). Earlier this week the algorithm recommended Skynd to me, and it's now in the rotation. *g*

echoes

On team goth I hope you have Switchblade Symphony, Rasputina and The Birthday Masacre. On the metal don't leave out the Genitorturers. If you are not familiar with the last one all I can tell you is that they have a very interesting live show.

Daeva

Its a new week and a new theme is up.

Get out your hearts and flowers - this week is all about Romance!

Looking forward to seeing what everyone writes this week :)

Britwitch

atenai

I clearly need to use today's word, I love it when my characters skulk about. But romance... hrm. Most of my skulky character ideas aren't high on the romance scales. ;D
~Atenai

IRL Status: Offline. On hiatus.

Atenai's Addictions (O/Os & Ideas), Requests, and Apologies [NEW! 17 Jun '23]
Elluiki User Page (Bio, Stories Old and New)   "Fucking insatiable, teasing brat."

Daeva

The theme is optional, so feel free to skulk about romance free 😀

Britwitch

Our theme this week is taking us to the fantastical realm of Science Fiction!

Happy writing everyone!

Britwitch

Congratulations Peripherie for completing your 3rd milestone of 50 posts in the Word of the Day Challenge!!

https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/1/17/Wotd1_50.png

https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/a/ac/Wotd1_50bg.png

We hope you'll enjoy either of these two badges! Your next milestone is 100 posts!

atenai

~Atenai

IRL Status: Offline. On hiatus.

Atenai's Addictions (O/Os & Ideas), Requests, and Apologies [NEW! 17 Jun '23]
Elluiki User Page (Bio, Stories Old and New)   "Fucking insatiable, teasing brat."

Daeva

I love seeing new faces in the WoD challenge - welcome piratemenance :)

Britwitch

I love today's word! Always reminds me of 'Singing in the Rain' and the scene where Lina Lamont is threatening to sue, in that fabulously outrageous voice of hers. ;D

Can't wait to see how people use it... ;)

Peripherie

Wow... didn't realize I had hit 50 already. :D

I love these word prompts. They help me during crazy weeks when it is all I can seem to write but they also let me write silly, rather crazy ideas without having to commit more than a few hundred words.

Thanks, love the badges!
"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher
storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore

Daeva

Happy Sunday Everyone!!

A new week - A new theme  - this week we're going back in time for some Historical writing :)