The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Mathim on July 14, 2015, 05:31:21 PM
So, almost like we can assume a lot of what's happening may in fact only be a delusion he's experiencing and not the reality of what's going on around him?

I meant more from the other character's perspective. When he references the music, or talks to the audience, or makes jokes about out-takes or something, the other characters in the movie will just look at him like he's nuts - because from their perspective, he is, they can't perceive the fourth wall that he can.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 14, 2015, 05:33:16 PM
I meant more from the other character's perspective. When he references the music, or talks to the audience, or makes jokes about out-takes or something, the other characters in the movie will just look at him like he's nuts - because from their perspective, he is, they can't perceive the fourth wall that he can.

Okay, so within their reality, he's kind of the only one aware of the much larger reality that their universe is being observed by us and reacts as such even if to them, that's bonkers. Maybe we'll hear him hint at there being a reboot coming soon, LOL. How's that for breaking the fourth wall?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

deadmanshand

The original script began with Deadpool watching Wolverine Origins and heckling it.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Mathim on July 14, 2015, 06:45:04 PM
Okay, so within their reality, he's kind of the only one aware of the much larger reality that their universe is being observed by us and reacts as such even if to them, that's bonkers. Maybe we'll hear him hint at there being a reboot coming soon, LOL. How's that for breaking the fourth wall?

Exactly.

Mathim

Quote from: deadmanshand on July 14, 2015, 06:59:19 PM
The original script began with Deadpool watching Wolverine Origins and heckling it.

Hey, all I know is he took down Slater from Saved by the Bell. That's good enough for me.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

In other news my fellow Gauntlet posters. Looks like David Tennant aka the 10th Doctor from Doctor Who has been casted as Purple Man for the upcoming Jessica Jones series.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on July 16, 2015, 05:09:10 PM
In other news my fellow Gauntlet posters. Looks like David Tennant aka the 10th Doctor from Doctor Who has been casted as Purple Man for the upcoming Jessica Jones series.

'Cast', not casted. That one doesn't have a different past tense. But I think that was already announced months ago. I was totally stoked. I love seeing Mr. Allons-y give different performances. Like that drug addict alcoholic vampire hunter from Fright Night. Really looking forward to seeing what he can do with a sadistic supervillain persona.

Also there's a new Ant-Man clip on imdb.com. So awesome. Can't wait. Going to see it at the first showing this Sunday, in 3D. I really think the scale of him when shrunk will lend itself to very effectively use the 3D with the backgrounds and the ants and such.

SapphireStar

Several casting updates. The Flash has cast Michael Ironside to play Captain Cold's father. And, WWE star Adam Copeland has also been cast as Atom Smasher.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 17, 2015, 09:35:11 AM
Several casting updates. The Flash has cast Michael Ironside to play Captain Cold's father. And, WWE star Adam Copeland has also been cast as Atom Smasher.

Damn, Michael Ironside is in every sci-fi thing ever. He's the voice of Darkseid, he's a military hardass in Terminator Salvation, and now he's on a DC television program.

SapphireStar

He was on Smallville playing General Sam Lane, Lois's father. One thing about Smallville, the creators cast alot of actors who had connections to the DC universe not just providing voiceovers but playing live action characters. Terrence Stamp (Zod) provided the voice of Jor-el in the fortress. Helen Slater (Supergirl) as Lara, Clark's mother.

mia h

..... Annette O'Toole (Lana Lang) as Clark's other mother. Also Dean Cain, Christoper Revee, Margot Kidder all did guest spots as did Geoff Johns and Amy Adams.
(and most of the cast of Battlestar Galactica)
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

SapphireStar

Phil Morris (Justice League as Vandal Savage) played Martian Manhunter/John Jones. Teri Hatcher (Lois Lane) played Lois Lane's mother.

Just saw a photo of Psylocke for the upcoming X-men movie. I like the fact they are using her original costume. Magneto's costume is interesting. Interested to see the movie. Ryan Reynolds hinted at wanting to do a movie with Deadpool mixing it up with other heroes. Specifically X-Force and Cable.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 17, 2015, 03:12:23 PM
Phil Morris (Justice League as Vandal Savage) played Martian Manhunter/John Jones. Teri Hatcher (Lois Lane) played Lois Lane's mother.

Just saw a photo of Psylocke for the upcoming X-men movie. I like the fact they are using her original costume. Magneto's costume is interesting. Interested to see the movie. Ryan Reynolds hinted at wanting to do a movie with Deadpool mixing it up with other heroes. Specifically X-Force and Cable.

Day-um! They are using her original costume? That's pretty brave, if it's that provocative and atypical of most of these movies so far. I know they're not going with the ultra-sexy Ms. Marvel costume for the Captain Marvel movie, although if Psylocke tests positively, maybe they'll give Carol Danvers' outfit an upgrade after her debut movie.

They seem to be deciding to hold off on this little number in favor of something more like this.

Beorning

Quote from: Mathim on July 17, 2015, 03:23:01 PM

Is the blue guy in the middle Apocalypse?

BTW. David Tennant playing Purple Man? Okay, he's brave. That character is... nasty.

SapphireStar

Mathim

Quote from: Beorning on July 17, 2015, 04:01:20 PM
Is the blue guy in the middle Apocalypse?

BTW. David Tennant playing Purple Man? Okay, he's brave. That character is... nasty.

He's purple. Of course he's nasty. Wait...did that sound racist?

Also I've been hearing people complain that once again with this casting of a younger Storm, she's still 'not black enough'. I've seen many different versions of her, and to me, in the Fox 1990's cartoon, I could swear she was roughly Halle Berry's shade, and that's the most familiar version to me. I do like characters portrayed accurately so if I had more to go on, I might be in agreement. Anyone else want to weigh in?

SapphireStar

According to a news article, Storm is one of the Four Horsemen, as is Psylocke, Angel, and Magneto. While I was interested in seeing this movie, what I've been hearing being reported isn't favorable. Someone made the comment that Apocalypse looks like Ivan Ooze from the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers movie. They need to hire a new director and reboot the X-men franchise.

Storm has had her appearance changed over the years in the comics. She sported a mohawk for a while and wore black leather pants and vest top. Then she sported the white uniform which was the one used in the 90s cartoon. They seem to be merging two different styles. Psylocke's costume is the one she wore throughout the late 80s to early 2000.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 18, 2015, 12:23:46 AM
According to a news article, Storm is one of the Four Horsemen, as is Psylocke, Angel, and Magneto. While I was interested in seeing this movie, what I've been hearing being reported isn't favorable. Someone made the comment that Apocalypse looks like Ivan Ooze from the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers movie. They need to hire a new director and reboot the X-men franchise.

Storm has had her appearance changed over the years in the comics. She sported a mohawk for a while and wore black leather pants and vest top. Then she sported the white uniform which was the one used in the 90s cartoon. They seem to be merging two different styles. Psylocke's costume is the one she wore throughout the late 80s to early 2000.

Those guys are supposed to be the new horsemen? Interesting. I wonder who the four are in the post-credits scene where he's constructing the pyramid in the air? Some people also thought it would be Azazel, Angel Salvatore, Banshee and Emma Frost since there were those four pictures of them dead in Trask's lab when Mystique went snooping around in there, and Apocalypse might have used his power and technology to resurrect them under his control. Guess that's not happening.

I did think Apocalypse's visage looked a tad cheesy, I would have thought a face mask with some Egyptian flair to it would have sufficed, and maybe some blue tinted face paint for the rest, but this prosthetic stuff seems to make him look different than any version I've ever seen. Plus it doesn't ring true with his using technology to armor himself, unless that's a version unique to the TV show.

I like Bryan Singer's direction, though. If they do reboot it sooner rather than later I would hope Singer could mentor whoever's taking the reins.

CaptainNexus616

Saw Ant-Man yesterday and let me say this...I haven't laughed that much during a movie in a looong time it was worth seeing in the theaters.

I'll only say this about it.....Baskin Robbins knows all.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on July 18, 2015, 08:19:26 AM
Saw Ant-Man yesterday and let me say this...I haven't laughed that much during a movie in a looong time it was worth seeing in the theaters.

I'll only say this about it.....Baskin Robbins knows all.

I didn't need the extra endorsement to get me into theaters, but I'm glad someone with similar tastes approve. Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow with my pal. That was definitely how I felt about Guardians of the Galaxy, had me belly-laughing all the way through.

Beorning

Quote from: Mathim on July 18, 2015, 08:15:35 AM
I did think Apocalypse's visage looked a tad cheesy, I would have thought a face mask with some Egyptian flair to it would have sufficed, and maybe some blue tinted face paint for the rest, but this prosthetic stuff seems to make him look different than any version I've ever seen. Plus it doesn't ring true with his using technology to armor himself, unless that's a version unique to the TV show.

What are the prosthetic you are referring to? When I look at that photo, I see mostly face paint and costume...

Anyway, my complaints are that Apocalypse looks quite small and that he looks *old*. And tired...

Mathim

Quote from: Beorning on July 18, 2015, 11:37:54 AM
What are the prosthetic you are referring to? When I look at that photo, I see mostly face paint and costume...

Anyway, my complaints are that Apocalypse looks quite small and that he looks *old*. And tired...

Around the forehead, looks kinda bumpy to me.

deadmanshand

The Four Horsemen in the post credits scene were his original horsemen. They aren't immortal like him. So they didn't make the 5000 year trip with him to the modern age. And as for his look... they've already said his look isn't finished. That was a bit of rushed trailer to make CC.

TheGlyphstone

Well, Ant-Man I found to be excellent. One of the better ones, though not the very best; I had a ****-eating grin pasted on my face through the whole thing, so I was satisfied.

CuriousEyes

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 18, 2015, 12:23:46 AM
They need to hire a new director and reboot the X-men franchise.

Seriously. Of the... seven X-Men movies (X1 - 3, First Class, DoFP, and then the two Wolverine vehicles) released? Two of the three are pretty universally panned and another is looked at (at least in most circles I see) as misguided at best. Of the four that remain, Singer directed three. And in my mind the dude basically salvaged First Class by deigning to strap it's continuity along to his and buff out the flaws as best as he could.

I wish we could freeze him in carbonite and only revive him when it's time to film more X-Men.

So yeah, he's got a long leash for me.