Censorship on E.

Started by backlash84, December 15, 2016, 05:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blythe

Double-post--sorry, made some edits above. Had a major wording snafu. Bleh.

Eikichi

Quote from: Blythe on December 16, 2016, 06:29:01 PM
I am Mod1. In the interests of transparency and since things seem to be going poorly, I am comfortable revealing that. I do not particularly have anything to hide from the membership.

This is correct and was my intention when I sent that PM.

Vekseid more or less spoiled who you were very early on, to be fair. But thank you for confirming that. I had to reread the convo after Oniya pointed it out.
PMs are open for all role play inquiries.

backlash84

Quote from: Blythe on December 16, 2016, 06:29:01 PM
I am Mod1. In the interests of transparency and since things seem to be going poorly, I am comfortable revealing that. I do not particularly have anything to hide from the membership.

I have not lied to you.

I have not insulted you.

I have not twisted your words.

I have, in all our interactions, been very polite to you. I even took the time out to reassure you in PMs you would not be banned simply for disagreeing with Vekseid, although I did try to tell you that the manner in which you debate is important. And I told you how to appeal via the Chain of Command if you disagreed with my actions, because I do believe in being held accountable.

When I referred to "that topic," I was referring to the Andromeda thread being re-opened. My wording was sloppy, but if you read the messages you were sent, you'll understand that the split posts were meant to be removed to a locked topic so that the original topic could be re-opened without any further need for a templock.

Could I have worded it better? Sure. My wording was, admittedly, a bit vague. And I'm sorry about that. But no, I never told you the locked tangent would be re-opened. I was referring to the Andromeda topic being re-opened, which was still locked and not yet split when you PMed me to inquire about the original lock in the first place. :/

If you want to know which post resulted in the mod call that was made that we felt was not appropriate, you can PM me and we can discuss it there. I do not wish to discuss it in public because it involves a post that is neither yours or a moderators, and it is not fair to discuss that in public to that other member.

This is correct and was my intention when I sent that PM.

You are right, in fact you are the only one who has been civil with me since this whole blow up started, and I think you'd agree I have also been nothing but civil with you.

From what you've said, it is easily seen how I would think the conversation would be re-opened, and how it is quite possible that I was correct in interpreting you wording, and that now that things have gone south, have changed it, as my only interest was the thread about racism, it was the only thing we talked about, I never asked about the mass effect post at all.

If you could send me the post that was reported, that would be great. Vekseid refused to do so.

Blythe

Quote from: backlash84 on December 16, 2016, 06:37:26 PM
You are right, in fact you are the only one who has been civil with me since this whole blow up started, and I think you'd agree I have also been nothing but civil with you.

From what you've said, it is easily seen how I would think the conversation would be re-opened, and how it is quite possible that I was correct in interpreting you wording, and that now that things have gone south, have changed it, as my only interest was the thread about racism, it was the only thing we talked about, I never asked about the mass effect post at all.

If you could send me the post that was reported, that would be great. Vekseid refused to do so.

Before I do, I'm going to ask you something.

May I lock this thread? Keep in mind that I am not asking your permission to do my job as a Staff member. I'm asking simply because I think there's a better way to resolve this, and this thread isn't it. I think you might agree with me about that at this juncture.

I would like to lock it because you are not getting what you want and are becoming frustrated, the members are becoming frustrated, and because I genuinely think better progress will be made in private rather a public thread like this.

If you're agreeable to this, reply here, I will lock this thread, and we can resume discussion in private and try to de-escalate the rather unpleasant route this has taken. I look forward to hearing from you again, and thank you for your time.

backlash84

Well, since I started this thread, I can lock it myself. I do agree that people have stopped actually reading what's been written, or even debating anymore. If this can be sorted out, that would be great... although I am skeptical, considering how Vekseid has made it his mission to insult me at any possible moment, and lie about what was written on the original thread.

Blythe

Thank you, backlash. Please allow me some time to find the post in question, and I'll PM you so we can resume discussion, but once this returns to private discussion, please know it needs to stay that way.

And my PM could take up to an hour or so, because I also need to make myself some dinner, so I ask for your patience.

backlash84

Alright, after discussing things with Veks over PM, it has become apparent he and I were labouring under COMPLETELY different idea's of what had been said in the original thread that started all of this in the first place. And, now that things have calmed down a bit, I can admit I understand why the conversation wasn't opened after it was separated. Why I wasn't simply told this when I asked multiple times, I have no idea.

That said, I didn't open this to start a fight again. I unlocked this post just so I could say that, in my opinion, this was a misunderstanding that got blown way out of proportion, and that I, of course, was part of that issue. If instead of calling LIAR! I had asked more politely what had happened, this whole mess could have been avoided, so I'll take my part of the responsibility in that.

I want to apologize to anyone I may have insulted. From what I knew, I was being falsely accused of something, and couldn't access the proof to clear my name. To Veks, I was someone ranting over what had been, now that I've seen what had been posted, a fairly reasonable decision to lock the thread. We both had completely different idea's of what was going on, and that lead to a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

I don't want there to be any hurt feelings, especially so close to the Holidays. I can admit I was wrong to explode the way I did, especially at those of you who had nothing to do with the miscommunication. For that, you have my sincerest apology.

Hope you all have a happy holiday.

Vekseid

QuoteWhy I wasn't simply told this when I asked multiple times, I have no idea.

I hate 'having the last word' matches, especially in my position here, but to be clear, you did not need to take my word for the state of things in that thread:

Quote from: Lustful Bride on December 16, 2016, 12:38:56 PM
Lets all be honest with ourselves that thread was heavily doomed to degrade down into a screaming match and everyone being all pissy to everyone.

There was too much hot headedness, raging emotions and lack of calm thinking. I don't see it so much as censorship but as a case of the thread was going to start a youtube level screaming tantrum and its better to just prevent it before it happens?

Were there some valid arguments to be made there? Possibly.

Could a good discussion have come up on race relations, stereotypes and the possibility that racism against Caucasians gained a measure of acceptance or Vice Versa? Again, Possibly.

Was it going to be the main focus? No. It was just going to be finger pointings, misunderstandings, and everyone disliking everyone.

No one went into it to have an intellectual discussion, it was spawned from a thread about outrage over one racist guy on the bioware team and it was just going to be a thread of outrage and lack of calm thinking.

Anyway, as I PMed you, this thread is a spectacle and an eyesore. I should not have restored it and I apologize.

Thus, it is staying locked.