News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

GURPS: IOU

Started by Jefepato, July 17, 2006, 08:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jefepato

It's been discussed a few times on the boards, so I figured I might as well take a crack at this and see who's still interested.

I'm planning a game with a generally Silly mood (which is not to say that , probably set in the Light and Weird area (I have trouble seeing heavier stuff really fitting in IOU), with players starting as second-semester freshthings.  Sex will not be the focus, but can and will certainly be present.

I'd prefer players who have at least some familiarity with IOU and GURPS, but I can help with character creation if need be (it's okay if you've only played 3rd edition before).  Guidelines for creation will be up later once I 1) get enough players to have a game set up, and 2) finish going through the IOU book to see what might need changing for 4e.

Apple of Eris

I'm interested, but Ive never done 4e only 3e. That said I have the IOU book and 3e books (just have to dig them out), so if you get this going I'll whip up a character.
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Vandren

Mmm . . . IOU . . . *ack* 4th ed . . . ah well.  I'd be interested in a 3rd ed IOU game.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Jefepato

Quote from: Vandren on July 18, 2006, 03:01:09 PM
Mmm . . . IOU . . . *ack* 4th ed . . . ah well.  I'd be interested in a 3rd ed IOU game.

Is 4th edition really that odious to people?

I can run 3rd if everybody hates 4th that much, but I'm unclear on what the problem is.

Jefepato

All right.  Anyone else interested?

I wouldn't actually mind running a (3e, apparently) game with only two players, but I thought there was a lot more interest the last time this idea came up.

Apple of Eris

I don't hate 4th, I just don't have 4th ed books, only 3rd. So if you don't mind doing the converting, I'm up for either :)

I'll just dig up the IOU book so I can work on some ideas.
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Ajoxer

Oh, GOD yes! Yes, thank you god! I'd love to play it, though I only have 3e, so... Yeah. Just to letcha know. But I'd LOVE to do this!
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

MadPanda

(peers around the window frame)

Hmmm.  Mayyyyyybe...weird is fun.  Fun is good.  I'm more of an OTE guy than a GURPS guy, though, but I think I have 3e around someplace.
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Vandren

Definitely still interested (despite recent RL based slowdowns), if this runs.

Quote from: Jefepato on July 18, 2006, 06:40:06 PMIs 4th edition really that odious to people?

I can run 3rd if everybody hates 4th that much, but I'm unclear on what the problem is.

I've gotten into that so many times in so many places that I really don't want to again.  Suffice to say, I'm not happy with 90% of the changes they made in the new edition.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

MadPanda

Got an idea, but she might have to be converted.
125 base, up to 40 in Disads, right?

In Memory of Bishrook

Jefepato

Quote from: MadPanda on August 02, 2006, 08:15:30 PM
Got an idea, but she might have to be converted.
125 base, up to 40 in Disads, right?

100 is the base for freshthings, actually, but I'll be giving 105.

40 in disads, which does not include the 5 you can have in quirks, nor does it include Academic Status (freshthings generally have Academic Status -2, worth -10 points).  Mundanity is not allowed (though Mundane Background is perfectly fine), and I'm generally leery of any disadvantages that hurt other players more than they hurt you.

The 40 limit can theoretically be circumvented by taking one very large disadvantage, but you should probably check with me before doing that, since they're so potentially disruptive.  (No Insurance and Murder Addiction are totally out of the question.  You can take Cursed if you really want, but I don't recommend it.)

MadPanda

How about Jinxed?   ;D

In Memory of Bishrook

Apple of Eris

So this game is a definate go? If so, sweet!

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Jefepato

Quote from: MadPanda on August 02, 2006, 08:31:58 PM
How about Jinxed?   ;D

No, definitely not.  Hilarious as that disad would be in IOU, it just isn't right to give one player points for hurting all the others (except in Paranoia).

MadPanda

Awwwwwwww, dang.  Well, back to the drawing board.  ;D

In Memory of Bishrook

Vandren

Any verboten books?  (Specifically I'm thinking of Spirits and the magic system outlined there, but Ican adapt the concept to standard Grimoire/Magic if necessary.)

Jefepato

Quote from: Vandren on August 07, 2006, 02:03:19 PM
Any verboten books?  (Specifically I'm thinking of Spirits and the magic system outlined there, but Ican adapt the concept to standard Grimoire/Magic if necessary.)

The 3e books I have are:
Basic Set
Compendium 1
Discworld
Discworld Also
Fantasy Folk
IOU
Grimoire
Magic
Psionics

I can't really list what books are forbidden, because frankly, there are more GURPS books than I can possibly count.  If you want something from a book not listed above, and the details can be easily explained to me, you can ask, but a new system of magic is probably out because I have no reference on how it works.

Vandren

Quote from: Jefepato on August 07, 2006, 06:32:50 PM
The 3e books I have are:
Basic Set
Compendium 1
Discworld
Discworld Also
Fantasy Folk
IOU
Grimoire
Magic
Psionics

I can't really list what books are forbidden, because frankly, there are more GURPS books than I can possibly count.  If you want something from a book not listed above, and the details can be easily explained to me, you can ask, but a new system of magic is probably out because I have no reference on how it works.

Ok, NP.  I'll adapt the idea to basic Magic.

Ajoxer

Just to let it be known, I'd be alright with the jinxed. >_> Think of the sexy misadventures that could come from that floor giving out at just the wrong time to send you into Naked Shakespearean Solliloquys 3, Engl 305!

Hmmmm... I'm thinking about what sort of character to make... * taps his chin, grinning.*
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Apple of Eris

I;m thinking of some kind of journalism major that can talk to animals and get the real story. I'm not entirely sure on that one yet though.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Ajoxer

Hmmmm... I'm thinking implant experiment, in the style of a Rifts Crazy... But who doesn't know it.

Vandren

I'm working up a 21st century Roman (alt universe) mage - Sextus Publius Grachus - born and raised in Alexandria, India.  Atm, I'm looking at a small ally group (possibly fellow students or staff or something, haven't hashed that out yet, 3-5 75 pointers) and a wolf familiar.  Majoring in Thaumaturgy and minoring in History.

Apple of Eris

Anyone wanna be my roommate? male or female, we can chalk it up to a glitch in THE computer's housing programming.

If the GM allows it of course, but it'd be less cheesy than 'we all meet in an off campus under 21 bar' heh.  :)

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Vandren

Quote from: appleoferis on August 10, 2006, 11:00:58 PM
Anyone wanna be my roommate? male or female, we can chalk it up to a glitch in THE computer's housing programming.

If the GM allows it of course, but it'd be less cheesy than 'we all meet in an off campus under 21 bar' heh.  :)

Which brings up a good question . . . are we all required to take "Lives on Campus" or is that just assumed?

Apple of Eris

Living there is a disad according to the book, I took it.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking