News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Hemingway on August 28, 2014, 03:20:22 PM

I saw a girl at Games Workshop. Once.

Are you sure? An extremely overweight, long-haired guy might be hard to distinguish from a distance... ;D

Hemingway

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 28, 2014, 03:44:05 PM
Are you sure? An extremely overweight, long-haired guy might be hard to distinguish from a distance... ;D

Absolutely! An awkward hush went over the entire store.

Thorne

I don't know from WH, honest. But I /do/ know a little about painting minis. Scrub the little buggers first. Take an old tooth brush to 'em, with a little soap and water, to take the mold release residue off 'em.

They're right about Citadel being over-priced. It's not crap? But you can buy the same brushes, blades (Yes, blades. X-acto blades and riffler files are necessary for taking the mold lines off your minis) at a craft store (Jo-Ann's, Micheal's), for way cheaper (Check the paper-crafting section). And AS&S (Mail/web order. American Science and Surplus. They're /dangerous/) often has good deals on brushes and files too.
0s, 1s and 2s are good brush sizes, wherever you get them.

Paints.. I've found that you can use any damn acrylic paint you want - including Liquitex. The colours might not be exactly right, but you know what, at that distance, probably, no one's going to care. Keep a paint diary, for formulas for mixes, blends, washes. P3 is good paint. Citadel's paints aren't bad, I have a few of their greys and metallic. I've worked with worse. Reaper's paints aren't terrible, and like P3, they put them in squeeze bottles. I've also used Secret Weapon washes, but I don't really have an opinion about them.

(My FLGS has a number of ladies floating around in it - and I think a couple of them even play WH. I know at least one of them paints, I'm always seeing her at the painting table).
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Hemingway

There's excellent advice! You should listen to all of it - even though I admit I don't. I'm too lazy to carefully file down all the mold lines.

If I did mix my own paints - which I'm basically also too lazy to do - I'd also invest in some empty jars. That way you can mix more than you need right away.

Oniya

Quote from: Beorning on August 28, 2014, 03:31:13 PM
Any names for the alternatives? I wouldn't even know where to look for them.....

Craft stores.  Look in with the model cars and airplanes for decent quality acrylic paints.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beorning

Quote from: Hemingway on August 28, 2014, 03:36:34 PM
I don't know, but that'd be my guess.

"That" being...? ;)

Everyone, thanks for the advice about paints. I'll consider this, if I ever get into this hobby.

HairyHeretic

For selling miniatures, on the sprue is fine. Assembled probably lowers your resale value a bit, as the buyer now can't put them together they want. Painted takes that a step further, unless the buyer wants to paint them the same colour you have, its more work for them. Pro painted models can sell well, but that's not likely something you need to worry about for a while :)

Don't bother buying GWs brushes and modeling tools. They're overpriced, from all accounts. I haven't needed to buy anything in years, so not sure exactly what they're selling for. I just bought my tools from a hardware store .. a pair of snips, some small files, a small hacksaw and craft knife. Brushes you can get from any art / craft store.

Paints .. there are a variety of different model paints available. Have a look at this for a few different ones.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

In terms of essentials to play ...

Basic box set - it's pretty good value for money, and will give you the starter of an army, plus the core rules
Codex - needed for the army you want to play
Tape measure and a handfull of dice - Not too hard to get hold of.
Pair of snips and/or craft knife for removing models from sprues / chopping models up for conversions, small file
Paintbrush and maybe half a dozen paints. Undercoat (I normally use black), base colour(s) of model, weapons, base model stands on

For example, I'm currently starting a Night Lords force. What I'll need for that would be black for the undercoat, blue for the armour, red for helmet eye pieces and wings, bone for skulls and terror markings, silver for weapons, probably green for the base the model will stand on. That'd be about normal for a single model.

If you do decide to pick it up and want to trade off any of the Chaos stuff, let me know :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Beorning

Thank you! Very informative.

Small question 1: Is there a paint for skin colour?

Small question 2: All those tiny markings, symbols etc. on miniatures. You paint them, or is it some stick-on element?

Small question 3: What is a "wash"?

Oniya

Quote from: Beorning on August 29, 2014, 09:37:49 AM

Small question 3: What is a "wash"?

1. Most lines have a pre-mixed flesh color.

3. A 'wash' is done by making a very thin mixture of paint and water, and then brushing that over the whole figure, then wiping off the excess.  The paint gets into the tiny crevices more easily, and it brings out a lot of detail.  Typically, this is done with black paint, but nice effects can be had with other colors.  There's also a technique called 'dry brushing', where you load your brush and then wipe most of the paint off the brush.  Going over an area with this will highlight the more raised portions.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Hemingway

Quote from: Beorning on August 29, 2014, 09:37:49 AM

Yes.

QuoteSmall question 2: All those tiny markings, symbols etc. on miniatures. You paint them, or is it some stick-on element?

Most models have a lot of tiny details on them right from the start. Imperial models, for instance, typically have a lot of scrollwork, skulls, that sort of thing. Usually you'll also have the option of adding other details. And  a lot of models will also come with transfer sheets for adding in chapter markings for shoulder pads and such.

QuoteSmall question 3: What is a "wash"?

Washes are basically thinner paint, which means they settle into grooves and folds to create a shaded look. They're really, really handy when painting something that needs a shaded look, like cloth - and skin. Just give whatever you're painting the base color you want it to be, wash, and highlight.

Beorning

About the washes: is it something you create by watering down ordinary paint? Or is it some special paint?

At the shop I visited, they were selling a black wash as a separate item...

Thorne

You can definitely make your own washes. As said, they're essentially watered down paint.
Take notes, if you do, especially if you want to reproduce the effect or colour.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

HairyHeretic

Both. You can create them by watering down ordinary paint, GW seem to have been increasing the number and types of paints they do, to make it easier for someone to just walk into a shop and come out with everything they need.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Oniya

Quote from: Beorning on August 29, 2014, 12:15:24 PM
About the washes: is it something you create by watering down ordinary paint? Or is it some special paint?

At the shop I visited, they were selling a black wash as a separate item...

Watering down your own paint is really all it is.  Silly thing, but I was able to learn all of these techniques at one of those 'paint your own ceramics' stores. 

Beorning

I see.

I saw the undercoat paint being mentioned. If I understand correctly, you paint a model with the undercoat paint first,(at the GW shop, they offered two sorts of these paints: black and white), then you add the real intended colours. Question: is the undercoat paint something special, or can an ordinary paint be used?

Oniya

It's pretty much ordinary paint.  I know some people who go without it, but it has the advantage of covering up the color of the metal and giving you an even-colored painting surface.  White can really make your actual colors 'pop', since you don't have the dull gray of the model diluting them, and black can be good if you're using a predominately dark color-scheme to begin with, to sort of 'fill in' where you might miss a brush-stroke.

Beorning

So... colours look different depending on what kind of undercoat colour they have? I'm sorry if that's a basic question, I've never really painted that much, models or even pictures...

BTW. I know I ask a lot of question, but all this WH40K talk is serving one important function: it gives me additional motivation to find a job. Ever since we started talking, I'm sending 50+ job applications a week  ;D

Oniya

It's a subtle thing, but it does make a difference.  Think about a crayon line on white paper, and then that same crayon line on black construction paper, or even a brown paper bag.

HairyHeretic

Yep. Most of the colour schemes I do are dark, so I normally go with a black undercoat for my models.

Spray undercoat, let it dry
Do base colour scheme of model
Add secondary colours .. helmet eye pieces, exposed skin, weapons, secondary armour colours etc
Paint the base (normally green)
Add flock to base to look like grass

Thats more or less me done with painting.

I'm not a great painter, so all the shading and washing I tend to avoid. If the model looks okay from a couple of feet away, I'm happy :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

So, you use undercoat in a spray? Is that necessary? Can't you paint it on with a brush?

BTW. What about the glue? GW sells its own glue. But couldn't I use some ordinary glue with a dropper?

HairyHeretic

Sure you can, but the spray can is quicker. I set a dozen models in a sheet of cardboard, take them outside and 30 seconds later they're all basecoated :)

I just use superglue for mine. GWs glue I wouldn't bother with.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Hemingway

Well, I just tried washing one of my Space Wolves models with thinned paint. It was a little tricky getting the water to paint ratio just right, but the end result was acceptable. I would've preferred a neater result ( and possibly a dark blue wash instead of a black one ), but if I had the right shade of blue to mix, and a jar to mix a larger amount in, this would've been just fine.

Quote from: Beorning on August 29, 2014, 03:23:11 PM
So, you use undercoat in a spray? Is that necessary? Can't you paint it on with a brush?

You absolutely can. It's just quicker with a spray, and neater. At the risk of heresy, I'm not sure the black primer is necessary at all. It's nice, because it means any areas left untouched will be black, which looks decent enough on its own ( unlike, say, plain, unshaded blue ). I could be wrong, but I think spray primer was more important when they actually made tin models. Paint was liable to peel off very quickly without it. I've never had that problem with plastic minis.

... everyone keeps beating me to the answers!

Thorne

If you prime in black, it has the advantage of making your metallic areas look all kinds of better.

And you don't /have/ to prime, but if you're painting metal minis, it actually does help a lot. Adhesion, seeing stuff you missed cleaning the thing up... all kinds of stuff comes up when you put that coat of primer on.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Beorning

Okay, so: looks like there's no need to buy GW's paints (aside from that one for skin colour). There's no need to use GW's glue... What about brushes? These miniatures are really tiny and detailed. So, a really small brush would be needed...

BTW. The GW shop includes pincers in their starter kit. What are they for, actually?

And what about the mold residue that's been mentioned?

Oniya

Pincers can be used for a bunch of things, but I suspect it's to give you a better grip when you paint a tiny piece of a miniature.  Again, a craft store is going to have a wide assortment of brushes - you can go all in and buy 'artist brushes', but I like having at least a few cheap brushes like they give school-kids.  Advantage is that you can take a pair of sharp scissors and trim away bristles on the cheap brushes without worrying about replacing the brush later.  I'll us a brush that's been trimmed down to just a few bristles for things like eye-dots, fine lines, and the like.  You'll also want a couple larger brushes (again, they don't have to be pricey, just wider) for covering large areas quickly (like if you use brush-on primer)

Clean your brushes before putting them away, and let them dry bristles-up, and they'll stay in good condition longer.

And you don't need GW's skin color.  Any line of paints should have something skin-like.  (Even if you're painting Nurgles.)