The Roads Less Traveled (Mage the Awakening)

Started by Anon315, May 25, 2013, 11:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re Z L

I was considering tossing in a character as well if you've still got the room for it  ;D

The idea I had floating around in my head was a Mastigos Guardian of the Veil.

Wouldn't want to push anyone else out of a slot though if you're already full up on folks.
A&A

AndyZ

You can have my spot, Re Z L.  Most of my ideas right now aren't working.  Like, I could try to throw down on the Orchid idea but I doubt she'll be believable or fun to play right now.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Re Z L

Quote from: AndyZ on June 01, 2013, 09:01:18 PM
You can have my spot, Re Z L.  Most of my ideas right now aren't working.  Like, I could try to throw down on the Orchid idea but I doubt she'll be believable or fun to play right now.

yea, I know the feeling.  Sorry none of your ideas have been clicking  :(
A&A

Muse

REZ, Andy, last I heard there was still room.  No need for Andy to leave just to give you room. 

(I hope you can come up with a concept Andy, but I also hope you're not stressing over it.  *hugs*) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Pumpkin Seeds

I'm sure we'd all love to help you develop a concept hun!

AndyZ

Quote from: Re Z L on June 01, 2013, 08:56:44 PM
The idea I had floating around in my head was a Mastigos Guardian of the Veil.

Well, if there is room for both and you go GoV, I should ask how you plan to do it.  Will you let PCs get away with containing Paradox in Backlash or would you be one of those no-Vulgar-ever GoVs?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Re Z L

Quote from: AndyZ on June 02, 2013, 11:27:07 AM
Well, if there is room for both and you go GoV, I should ask how you plan to do it.  Will you let PCs get away with containing Paradox in Backlash or would you be one of those no-Vulgar-ever GoVs?

Taking personal responsibility for your vulgar magic is a good way to get on his good side (ie. paradox backlash).  Obviously using vulgar magick recklessly is a bad idea, mostly it depends on the situation, even Guardians use vulgar magick if they have to in order to keep a greater breach from taking place.
A&A

AndyZ

Okay, good, you'll be playing one of the reasonable ones ^_^

People will probably be happy to know that I've forced Orchid into more of a playable state.  I'll need to go picture hunting, though.

AndyZ

Name: Orchid
Sex: Female
Concept: Bubbly on the outside, fragile on the inside
Path: Moros
Order: Mysterium
Virtue/Vice: Hope/Pride
Physical Description: Asian-American, long hair, cheap clothes but often in black.  She's also very thin, showing signs of malnutrition, though it's hard to tell at a glance if she's just too poor

Personality: Somewhat goth aspected, weird and somewhat grim sense of humor, but hiding a pain within.  She takes a while to warm up to people but tends to be great company once she has.

History: What's known about Orchid is that she was found Awake in the morgue, where another Moros helped her adjust to her new life and allowed her old life to be married in an unmarked grave.  There are rumors that the attempt was self-inflicted, though no one but her knows for sure.  She's abandoned everything about her old life and taken to the Awakened existence with a new sense of purpose.

A few people have guessed, though.  Evidence points to her being a high school dropout (though she does seem to show quite an interest in learning, which defies understanding).  Her poor health and her talents at scavenging suggest that she's spent at least some degree of time being homeless, either mooching or making deals.  Asking too many personal questions will move past the point where she politely ignores them and enters the territory of active disdain.

Currently she's holed up in the basement of Anaximander, and is patching up the wiring and giving the place as much tweaking as she can manage.  The Hallow is a trickle of pure water that leaks into the root cellar, which is connected to the basement and very close to her room.

What I offer to and expect to get out of this game are: I'm usually good for posting every day and quite often on weekends.  That's most likely faster than most of the others.  I hope for a good story and a chance to explore some mystery.

Sheet

Intelligence 4 Wits 3 Resolve 1
Strength 1 Dexterity 4 Stamina 1
Presence 2 Manipulation 2 Composure 4

Crafts 4 Investigation 3 Occult 4 (Magic)
Athletics 3 Survival 1 (Urban)
Empathy 2 Persuasion 2 Subterfuge 3 (Lying)

Death 4 Matter 1 Time 2

Health 6 Willpower 5 Gnosis 3 Mana 7/12 Wisdom 7

Hallow 1 Sanctum Size 1 Status (Mysterium) 1 Striking Looks 2 (+1)

Rotes: Destroy Object, Perfect Timing, Postcognition

Equipment: Pepper spray, toolkit, cell phone, pocket knife, bone wand

Nimbus: Colors leak from her and from the surrounding area, turning her surroundings into grayscale but changing her into a stark contrast of black hair, eyes and lips upon pale white skin.

XP Spent: 34/35

Re Z L

Thomas Smith
Goetic Psychologist
Mastigos of the Guardians of the Veil

Background:
An accomplished psychologist, he fell in love with his own brilliance.  He could diagnose anyone, disassemble their psyche in a matter of hours, piece together what he felt their problems were, and explain to them what they needed to do in order to fix their fractured souls.  Of course, what he perceived and what was reality wasn't always one and the same.  In truth he stopped caring whether people became better, and found ways to keep them coming back for more of his wisdom and advice--after all he knew best for them.

Originally from Boston, he set up his practice in New York City after his early success.  It wasn't long before he had many different hospitals referring patients to his care.  As his ego grew, his pride swelled, and the danger his advice put others in become more and more noticeable.  It was a disaster waiting for the right person to trigger it.

When he'd milked one patient for all they were worth, he sent the man into a dangerous spiral.  Convinced that he was unable to come up with the solutions to his problems himself, he created a need for the advice Thomas had been giving him--an addiction of a sort.  When the source was cut off he became desperate to fulfill that need.  Eventually need became wonton destruction as the patient showed up late one day in Thomas's office with a gun.

As the weapon was drawn on Thomas he saw not the desperate man before him, but a manifestation of...something he could not describe.  Like a demon of shadow and water enveloping the man holding the weapon, and more than that the pools of silver water reflected a hellish landscape, each with a scene depicting one of the various sins.  More disturbing still was the pool that reflected his own face with a hellish grin and glowing eyes.  Time seemed to stop and only reconvened as he noticed the blood coming from stomach moments before the pain erupted within his mind.  Another shot and he went down behind the desk.  Assuming himself finished the patient then shot himself, a vain effort to end the cycle of pain.

Though Thomas may have wished for it he was not dead.

The coma lasted only for a handful of days as the machines worked to keep him alive, but the nightmare that he lived seemed to last years.  Tormented by his own inner demons he eventually tore himself free and made his way through the realm of pandemonium and nightmare.  A labyrinth made of flesh, winds of scourging glass, a realm of hell not befit for anyone.  Within it he found a place of tranquility, a moment of beautiful respite against the storm.  Here he awakened to his true soul and to the Supernal Realm.

When he awoke the nightmare had ended, but the pain had only begun.

Troubled by what he had seen and what he had experienced, as well as his newfound magickal senses, he left his practice, saved what little resources he still had and went away.  He searched for a meaning in the darkness, a purpose behind what he'd felt, and a connection to something so he would not feel so alone.  He tried several religions to no real avail, though it wasn't long that he ran into another Mastigos in a buddhist temple...

Now he has established himself within Hampton Roads Virginia as a psychologist once again, having long since severed any ties to his old life.  Here he performs his duties as a Guardian of the Veil while pursuing the path of the Clavicularius, knowing that his shadows are always at the ready to grip him once more.

Personality:
Always calm and collected, he keeps a cool head and judges things as they come.  Stubbornness borne of mental resilience goes along with the decisions he makes.  Headstrong, his pride is his real weakness, keeping him from following advice, even when well-intentioned.  Despite this fact he is an excellent listener and is good at offering his own advice to others, skilled at motivating them to do things while also pulling information out of them.

An incarnation of The Tower.

Kin to the demon Duke Dantalion.

Appearance:
Younger looking than he really is, his eyes hold all of the age in their crystal blue depths.  Blonde hair only faintly graying, white skin showing little signs of being worn down by the years.  Usually with faint stubble on his face, he has something of a rough, if roguishly charming, appearance.  Most times he dresses in a professional manner, either a suit, or at least a tie with a nice shirt.  This can sometimes devolve into a messy

Quote:
"Sure, I can help.  Tell me all about it..."

Path:  Mastigos - Clavicularius Legacy

Order:  Guardian of the Veil - Ordeal Keeper

Virtue:  Fortitude

Vice:  Pride

Offer the game Game and expect from the game:
I hope to offer a character to aid in pushing the story along while also helping push the other characters towards their own or other goals, motivating them to push past their fears and engage their desires.  Additionally he should be able to give conflict with his skirting between morality and immorality due to his deep connection with his own demons.

I'd like something thought provoking from the game, the theme of mage being good for personal horror as well as understanding their own darkner natures and coming to grips with their proximity to the void.
A&A

Rook Seidhr

Right. After nearly dropping out in a fit of despondency, I managed to overhaul Anaximander's dots so that I can sustain my character concept and still trade out starting Merits for Gnosis so as not to be the weakest mage in the group for the entirety of the chronicle.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=580876

Muse

*Chuckles*  i don't know if you noticed, but at least two other characters had only 1 gnosis, and I have only 2. 

Looks pretty awesome, though. 

Oh, did we decide we were going to build up our sanctum in story?  Or should I try and find some points to assing to it? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: Muse on June 03, 2013, 12:20:30 AM
*Chuckles*  i don't know if you noticed, but at least two other characters had only 1 gnosis, and I have only 2. 
I noticed you had only 2. I hadn't looked at anyone else's sheet except AndyZ's. In fact I didn't realize that anyone but you, me and AndyZ had posted sheets yet. (checks) OK, I've looked at Re Z L's sheet too now. If anyone else posted a sheet I missed it.

I've been the guy who didn't sell down his Merits when everyone else did, and it's awful. In my experience, the rotes you start with are about 75% of the rotes you'll ever know, since you have to trade for them and nothing you can start with has much trade value. That means you'll mostly be using improvised magic, which means Gnosis is half your dice pool.

I'm OK with there being only one character with starting Gnosis of 3, and mine not being it; every cabal has its superstar. If AndyZ is the only one who feels the need for 3, I may drop back to 2.

Quote from: Muse on June 03, 2013, 12:20:30 AM
Oh, did we decide we were going to build up our sanctum in story?  Or should I try and find some points to assing to it?
Anaximander and Orchid have a shared sanctum. You're welcome to join us now, or pitch in later. I figure Anaximander bought a huge property which is mostly dilapidated and is renovating and landscaping it bit by bit as time allows, so you can RP contributing elbow grease to the renovation as justification for buying shared Sanctum dots.

Muse

Cool, I'll invest some later. 

We were talking about maybe meeting in new york before the story started?

Was it your character who attended college there? 

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: Muse on June 03, 2013, 12:50:42 AM
We were talking about maybe meeting in new york before the story started? Was it your character who attended college there?
Yes.

Pumpkin Seeds

If the property is dilapidated, could have Jennie sorta show up thinking the place is abandoned and would serve as a good refuge for her intended monster hunt in the area.  Sort of an "accidental" run in on the property ?

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on June 03, 2013, 02:34:57 AM
If the property is dilapidated, could have Jennie sorta show up thinking the place is abandoned and would serve as a good refuge for her intended monster hunt in the area.  Sort of an "accidental" run in on the property ?
She'd have to screw up her scouting pretty badly not to realize that it was being actively renovated. Maybe she crosses the fence line in hot pursuit of a monster?

Pumpkin Seeds

Could see that, course maybe she came to arrive there during a holiday season?  Few if any workers on the grounds and its cold outside, so she setup temporary shop.  Mainly wanting her to be on the location for a reason to bump into the group or at least a member or two.  Give her a reason to stick around and join them.

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on June 03, 2013, 03:10:34 AM
Few if any workers on the grounds
What workers? We'll be doing the renovation ourselves. Thou shalt not let a bunch of Sleepers wander around thy Sanctum smashing up walls.

Isn't Jennie a member of the local Consilium? Much easier to meet mages through mage society than by random encounters.

Muse

*nods*  True that. 

Makes me wonder if I was going too far looking for a way for us to meet ahead of time, but here it is if you like it, Riveda.  We can throw it out if you don't. 

After awakening, Motoyoshi didn't give Mike/kevin too much time to catch his breath. 

Kevin first met Anaxamander through a mutual friend before either of them awakened, when the first was still Mike, the second still Martin.  That friend was a doctoral student in Linguistics, Jacey Talia “J.T.” Kirk.  Mike gamed with J.T. on Saturday nights, when she made time for the hobby to keep her sanity.  Since then, he’d been visiting J.T. during office hours, asking her to check his Hebrew dialogue. 

J.T. introduced them casually, and they exchanged a few words from time to time.  Before Martin did his research trip, they got to know each other better when Mike introduced a few Islamic characters to his series and needed help with Arabic. 

He wasn’t able to pay, but he could buy dinner, and he was an attentive listener. 

Pumpkin Seeds

Probably not to be honest.  She'd be relatively new arrival probably.

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: Muse on June 03, 2013, 03:25:05 AM
Kevin first met Anaximander through a mutual friend before either of them awakened, when the first was still Mike, the second still Martin.
Works for me. What was Kevin's reaction when he found out good ol' Marty the language geek had Awakened?

(Anaximander's reaction to hearing that Mike had Awakened would be "Huh…" and a thoughtful look.)

I note that Kevin has no dots in Mentor, so presumably Motoyoshi sent him out into the world to sink or swim. Perhaps Anaximander's divinations encouraged Kevin to take up his quest in Virginia? Or did you have another reason why Kevin would wind up in the area of the game?

Muse

“Marty? Wow, the supernal world will let anyone in these days.” 

Kidding, he’d give the man a strong handshake and say, “Glad to see a familiar face.  How’s…” gestures at the mingling consiglium, “all this treating you?” 

That’s exactly my idea with Motoyoshi.  Gave him four years of more sword training than magic, saying it was all connected.  Witnessed an oath, left him with a katana and no particular resources in the secret world, but dropped him off somewhere where he could run into an old friend and form a cabal. 

Mike’s RL work can be done from most anywhere, after all. 

DarkNevaeh

[/URL]

Name: Luca Simeon Rossa (Chronicle)
Sex: Male
Concept: Research and Development, Treasure Seeker
Path: Mastigos (Legacy Wanted-Path of the Book)
Order: Free Council
Virtue/Vice: Hope/Greed

Physical Description: Born to an Irish woman and a Romani, Chronicle stands at 5'9'', slightly toned, light tan like skin with crystal green eyes and darkened red hair.  Slightly thick lensed, thin framed black glasses adorn his face and his hair falls around his head like a curtain, coming almost down to his shoulders, which he usually keeps in a ponytail. 

Personality: Chronicle can be very excitable...depending on what the topic is.  Research is his forte, but if it leads to either something that he can adapt into the modern world, or some ancient treasure that he can go hunting for, then he puts everything he has into completing that research.  Otherwise, Chronicle is kind, seeking the good in everyone.  Always wanting to share a laugh and a drink, he enjoy helping others and keeping spirits up.

History: Chronicle is the third son born to a an Arrow mage and a Sleeper.  While his mother knew nothing of her husband's mage work, Chronicle would be given stories of all kinds as he grew up with his siblings from his father, eventually learning to adapt them to help entertain his youngest siblings.  He also took up the violin, learning old Romani songs, and covers of new songs, another babysitting aid.  Being the third of seven, Chronicle was one of the middle children and was very close to his sister who came after him while playing referee to his older brothers whenever they got too hot headed over something.  Years would go by and one by one they would leave the house for college.  When Chronicle turned 17, his mother left his father, taking all of the children after she found a new man.  Their soon to be step father was an abuser, and Chronicle did his best to shield the younger siblings...but when his time came, he was pushed out by his mother.  He tried to call and visit but they moved before he got a chance and was not able to get in touch right away, so instead he focused on college.

During college, Chronicle learned quite a few different things.  Ancient history became a very big part of his curriculum, learning about the possibilities of buried treasures and the inventions of the past.  Soon he also took some computer science, engineering, music history and even a semester of ballroom dancing and self-defense.  During college he fell in love with a girl named Morgan.  Two years, they were together, taking some of the same classes, sharing an apartment for some time.  Out of nowhere...Morgan disappeared.  All that was left was a note, simply saying that she had to go and couldn't tell him anything.  It left him depressed for a bit, and he dived into a computer, learning more and more about it. 

After graduation, majoring in history, Chronicle got a job at a local museum, now the age of 23.  His job was computer security, so he worked odd hours.  One night, after checking on a few things, he decided to take a stroll through some of the exhibits and came across one discussing Ancient Babylon.  It was then that he heard a gun shot ring out...

...the next thing Chronicle knew, he was waking up in a bed in a small apartment.  Someone was laying a damp cloth over his forehead as his eyes opened.  Taking a few seconds, he finally focused and realized he was now staring into the face of Morgan.  He sat up quickly, and sat back against the wall and stared at her.  "You disappeared..." was all he could say.  She nodded and sighed, taking the cloth that had fallen.  "I couldn't explain before what had happened to me.  It would have put you in danger."  He blinked and she took a breath.  "I'm a mage..."  And with that sentence she began to explain everything that had happened to her since her awakening, along with what exactly a mage was.  Turned out that the nightmare he had after hearing the gunshot was his awakening and he was now a mage as well.  Morgan, now being called Sapphire, went on to explain that he was a Mastigos, a mage of mental and spatial prowess.  She would take care of him for the next week before he struck out on his own.

Chronicle would go on to seek out other mages and learn what he could while traveling.  He soon joined the Free Council, believing in their idea of giving power to common men and finding the magic in the everyday, instead of just from some Mage Eden.  Putting his research and computer skills to work, Chronicle has become a welcome member of the Free Council and now at the age of 28, has move to the consilium of Hampton Roads, hoping to find some remnants of his family left, find out what happened to thema nd continue to grow as a mage.

What I offer to and expect to get out of this game are: I try to post as much as I can, though if something comes up, I generally try to mention it in the OOC.  I work during the day so post in the evening time or early morning before work and I will do my best to keep up with everything.  I bring about...5 years?  of Mage experience with me, having played a Thyrsus and Moros before this in long term LARP games.

Pumpkin Seeds

:: long whistle from Jennie:: Well hello handsome.