What will you never play again?

Started by Inkidu, August 25, 2009, 06:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Exiled

Quote from: Sabby on April 01, 2010, 06:33:40 AM
Pretty much all the Turok games on the N64. Because if MK has taught us anything, its that being extremely violent can't make up for clunky controls.

I'm surprised some one else was exposed to that. You have my heartfelt empathy. Those games frustrated me for days until I gave up. :-\

Sabby

I even tried using a mouse. No amount of tweaking made it playable. Just makes ya appreciate the original Perfect Dark even more though ^^ it looked better, had more action on screen, deeper shooter mechanics and detail, more animations, more weapons... hell, it destroys most shooters that come out today!

The Exiled

I'm glad some one else appreciates that rare gem. Perfect Dark was the most fun I got out of the N64, since Starfox64 disappointed me compared to the canceled Starfox 2.

Sabby

I'm getting the Xbox 360 rerelease this Tuesday :) I keep hearing that the sensitivity is a little extreme... which troubles me a lot, because aside from the 60fps frame rate, the main reason I want it is because the N64 controller was made of fail. I figured a controller as comfortable and as responsive and tight as the 360 controller would be able to make good use of PD's 'sweeping reticle', but I keep hearing its too skittish and you still rely on autoaim...

...if thats the case, I'm going to be extremely let down :(

The Exiled

The transfer to cordless was a disappointment on the 360, but I enjoyed the game immensely with a "corded" controller. You get a bad response from the 360 wireless because the signal strength doesn't optimize through the whole battery life.

Inkidu

I will never play another MMORPG ever! (I had to make it official.)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Paradox

Quote from: Inkidu on April 24, 2010, 05:01:06 PM
I will never play another MMORPG ever! (I had to make it official.)

WHAT HAPPEN ! !

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Inkidu

Quote from: Paradox on April 25, 2010, 06:48:32 PM
WHAT HAPPEN ! !
Well, video gaming has always been a rather intimate and engaging experience for me like getting really absorbed in a movie or play. So having <RandomHobbit#5> come from nowhere with his leet speak is not my idea of engaging. In a nutshell though they can't hold a candle to their offline brothers and sisters and they're mostly geared for a long slow grind so they can milk money from people. In short they bore me to tears and I'm not paying any amount of money to be bored.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Huginn

WoW.

I can't say I was addicted to the game so much as the people. Two years I played to keep in touch with friends from high school, through the entire expansion because I was worried I would lose the people I had grown to care about. Constant frustration. Then I quit and lost contact with most of them. Outside of jumping on their vent to say hello none of them look me up. Slowly putting together a real world life again.

On that vein I will never play another quest based game. If it is an MMO it had better be "open ended" To the point of the original EQ , UO, or Eve, or have a good enough story to bring me through the game with enough open ended challenge at the end to keep me happy ala Guildwars

I wont play anything by the creator of fable, he talks to big and never delivers.
Anything by cryptic is right out.
NCsoft as a developer is out, as a publisher they can be passable sometimes. But no more of their Korean mmo abominations.
Anything of an Loved series that now has to go FIRST PERSON SHOOTER. Aka fallout 3, or the new X-Com
Honestly, any FPS that is not built on something interesting. No halo, no gow, no call of duty. Give me Tribes 1 and Team fortress 2.
Any Westwood rts but Dune 2 and Dune 2000. Sorry, still the best games they have made, the only ones worth going back to.
Turn based strategies for the most part are lacking. Yes we have Civ, a good play, But other then that you have to look a loooong while back to find the best. Masters of Magic and Masters of Orion. Everything else has simply missed a major point of making a complete enjoyable game. (Gal Civ2 lacked multiplayer or it might be worth going back to play again.) Hopefully Elemental will bring me home to a style of game I love so much.....

You know now that I think about it, it might have been easier to list what I would play again..

Paradox

Quote from: Huginn on April 28, 2010, 06:57:35 AM
You know now that I think about it, it might have been easier to list what I would play again..

Yeah, before reading that last line, I was going to say that it would be awfully hard for you to find something to play given all of those restrictions  :P

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

GeekFury

Dead Space, that game was like a war of fucking attrition for me! Took me nearly a year to complete as I just hated it!

Inkidu

Quote from: GeekFury on April 28, 2010, 08:34:00 AM
Dead Space, that game was like a war of fucking attrition for me! Took me nearly a year to complete as I just hated it!
Really? I found I could move through it at a reasonable clip. Though it is a bit too constantly scary. No respite. I'd have play like half an hour at a time just so my body didn't cramp up from muscle strain.

Paradox

Quote from: Inkidu on April 27, 2010, 09:35:39 PM
Well, video gaming has always been a rather intimate and engaging experience for me like getting really absorbed in a movie or play. So having <RandomHobbit#5> come from nowhere with his leet speak is not my idea of engaging. In a nutshell though they can't hold a candle to their offline brothers and sisters and they're mostly geared for a long slow grind so they can milk money from people. In short they bore me to tears and I'm not paying any amount of money to be bored.

Ah, see, that's the reason I avoided MMOPRGS in the first place. I've never actually played one (then again, I hardly ever play video games to begin with). When I do, I favor the kind of games you mentioned-- the ones with plot, depth, and development. I picked up Dragon Age: Origins last month and have slowly been making my way back into the world of gaming. It's like everything Baldur's Gate should have been, just without the Forgotten Realms backstory.

Stan'

Xbox 360.

Having the analog sticks not horizontal to each other doesn't make sense, and the d-pad is absolutely horrible.

Just as well only one of my friends has FIFA for the 360...

GeekFury

Quote from: Inkidu on April 28, 2010, 11:19:32 AM
Really? I found I could move through it at a reasonable clip. Though it is a bit too constantly scary. No respite. I'd have play like half an hour at a time just so my body didn't cramp up from muscle strain.

Was the necromorphs that pissed me off to no end,I'm fine just blowing a zombies head off,but having to tear something to pieces that moves with dodgy aiming ( 360 version ) just annoyed me to all manner of aggravation add the fact ammo is pretty bloody scares and you got to make every shot count, I almost put my control through the TV as some points.

Inkidu

Quote from: GeekFury on April 28, 2010, 02:49:22 PM
Was the necromorphs that pissed me off to no end,I'm fine just blowing a zombies head off,but having to tear something to pieces that moves with dodgy aiming ( 360 version ) just annoyed me to all manner of aggravation add the fact ammo is pretty bloody scares and you got to make every shot count, I almost put my control through the TV as some points.
Well I used to be like that until I realized that if I'm ever completely out of ammo I just stasis whoever is attacking me and beat them to death. They almost always drop ammo for you. Even on impossible. Still to each his own. Personally I thought aiming was good. Better than most horror games out there. I wish the damn necromorphs weren't so twitchy though.

GeekFury

Oh another game I'd not play again, Conan, The Dark Axe for the GameCube.

Ignaddio

Quote from: Ket on August 25, 2009, 09:07:33 PM
FF X.

I'm on a mission to remove every last copy of it from the world, destroy all versions of the soundtrack (especially the damn blitzball score... OMGRIPHAIROUTNAO!)

Yeah, I loathe that game.

Wait... the Blitzball theme or the opening FMV song, Jecht Battle (also known as Otherworld by Rammstein)? I kinda liked that one. Otherworld, that is; the bliztball theme sounds like elevator music, and sapped the joy that I got out of playing Blitzball.

Jade Cocoon. Radiata Stories. Any Gauntlet game after 2. Banjo Kazooie or its sequel, any Sonic Game in which the original feel of the game (get from A to B as quickly as possible) is not preserved. Too Human, some others.
Vidi, Vici, Veni*I sang, too.
 Like the Avatar? I drew it myself.

Goss

Superman 64. The first stage killed any interest I had beforehand. Not only was it horribly made and impossible to play, but it got my hopes up for nothing.

I'm glad some one else appreciates that rare gem. Perfect Dark was the most fun I got out of the N64, since Starfox64 disappointed me compared to the canceled Starfox 2.

Most of Starfox 2 was used in Starfox 64. The only thing that was different between the two was the real time exploration element (which I didn't care for in a Starfox game) instead of the linear "clear stage and move forward" system. I've played both and still prefer Starfox 64. 

Oniya

Quote from: Goss on May 01, 2010, 08:24:48 PM
Superman 64. The first stage killed any interest I had beforehand. Not only was it horribly made and impossible to play, but it got my hopes up for nothing.

You do realize that game is described as having 'no other purpose than to firmly establish the bottom of the barrel'?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Soran

Star trek online... it was okay to begin with, but the repetitive nature has just made it dull...the worse part..I bought three months subscription before I made the decision :(

Inkidu

Quote from: Soran on May 02, 2010, 02:57:14 AM
Star trek online... it was okay to begin with, but the repetitive nature has just made it dull...the worse part..I bought three months subscription before I made the decision :(
I'm just going to add this to my "Reasons MMORPGs Shouldn't Exist" list. With your go ahead.

Paradox

Quote from: Oniya on May 02, 2010, 02:07:18 AM
You do realize that game is described as having 'no other purpose than to firmly establish the bottom of the barrel'?

I had never previously heard of that game, even though I had an N64 when it was in its prime. I just looked up various videos of it, and my god, it really does look and play like shit.

Inkidu

Quote from: Paradox on May 02, 2010, 01:45:18 PM
I had never previously heard of that game, even though I had an N64 when it was in its prime. I just looked up various videos of it, and my god, it really does look and play like shit.
It his highly regarded as the worst video game of all time. Also, any game in publication right now, can look up with pride and say, "I might have been bad, but I was no Superman 64."

Heaven Sent Blossom

No video game is worse than E.T, this is scientific fact.

After the chore that was getting the Wii Speak set up (I say set up, thing still barely works) and the slap dash feel to the online system of it in general I'm seriously questioning whether or not I'm going to touch Monster Hunter Tri again.