Choose your own adventure

Started by NileGoddess, March 18, 2012, 04:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NileGoddess

Upon waking from a nap, I had either an epiphany or just another indication that I've turned a deeper shade of crazy.

Has anyone attempted to do a choose your own adventure type of game/roleplay on this site before? What I had in mind was typing up a scene or story, then breaking it down into separate paths, like forks in the road. Then, with another player or group of players, I would write a post, and at the end of each post would be an option to do A or B. Each option would yield difference (or perhaps similar results?), and allow for different ways for the game to evolve. I've seen it in other mediums, like books, video-games, or something similar.

Thinking it through though, sounds like it would be a big undertaking. Could be a lot of work, and it might get roadblocked unless it was carefully planned.

Likewise, I wouldn't mind seeing some type of diceplay or random number calculator being used to determine some choices, though that sounds like it would be easy enough.

Oniya

I think there was something like that with a game called 'Fate'.  Some of the more senior members might remember better, though.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

NileGoddess

Ah, very interesting. Seems like it was a larger group of people, and they voted on a consensus. Thanks for the links!

HockeyGod

There was also a discussion about managing one of these types of games on the GM board.

NileGoddess

I'll be sure to have a browse and see if I can learn anything. If not, I might pose a question and see what opinions I can get.

I had a thought to see if I could maybe do a set, preplanned structure like one of those books that has you flip to different pages, but I'm not sure if I can do that. Might need to have multiple people with suggestions. The other way I thought was to simply make it up as I go along, but then that runs the risk of a) getting stumped and hitting a roadblock or b) getting tempted to mess with the plot.

Snow Cherry

Not trying to promote another site at all but I thought I would reference you to this... References are always helpful.  :3

Writing.com has what they call 'Interactive Stories' that are pretty much choose your own adventures. Here is their page for them: http://www.writing.com/main/list_items/item_type/interactives but I am not sure if it will let you view it without being a member or not.

But basically you write a snippet of a story and give the reader choices to take. You can either write these interactive stories yourself, or you can let other people get involved with the creation of your story by letting them add to it their own paths and choice selections.

NileGoddess

Quote from: Snow Cherry on March 22, 2012, 01:36:11 PM
Not trying to promote another site at all but I thought I would reference you to this... References are always helpful.  :3

And I love your advice!

At first I thought it wouldn't allow any adult-themed games, then I turned the filter off, haha. Definitely looks like it could hold some valuable information, so I will have to look a little more. I'd like to keep it on this sight though, and see if I can work something into the forums.

TheDreadPirateRoberts

If you ever do start a choose your own adventure group(provided I am approved *keeps fingers crossed*) I would love to check it out as I think its a very neat idea. I always loved those books growing up and the games that let you have some control over your final outcomes.

johns1994

Well if you are looking for any imput I definitely think it is a great idea :)

I too loved the old choose your adventure books :)