Warhhammer 40k?

Started by Baalborn87, September 30, 2012, 02:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumpkin Seeds

Well, there needs to be a willing Game Master and players attracted.  Better here where more people can see the interest of the community in such a game.

Monfang

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on February 20, 2013, 12:32:23 PM
Well, there needs to be a willing Game Master and players attracted.  Better here where more people can see the interest of the community in such a game.
Works for me.

HairyHeretic

40k system games have a habit of dying pretty quickly, unfortunately. I've tried running Dark Heresy, Black Crusade and I think Rogue Trader in the past. Played in Dark Heresy, Black Crusade and Deathwatch games as well. I'd really like an opportunity to play a Night Lord, since they included actual rules for them in the Khornate BC book.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Monfang

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 20, 2013, 07:44:45 PM
40k system games have a habit of dying pretty quickly, unfortunately. I've tried running Dark Heresy, Black Crusade and I think Rogue Trader in the past. Played in Dark Heresy, Black Crusade and Deathwatch games as well. I'd really like an opportunity to play a Night Lord, since they included actual rules for them in the Khornate BC book.
Wouldn't it be hard to make a Night Lord ally with others?

Pumpkin Seeds

In Black Crusade you basically roleplay as Chaos.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Monfang on February 20, 2013, 07:54:18 PM
Wouldn't it be hard to make a Night Lord ally with others?

In Black Crusade, although you are all playing Chaos, and will have the same general agenda, each player will likely have their own particular goals within that, some of which may be contradictory to what other players might want .. especially if you have players who are aligning towards opposed factions (Khorne/Slaanesh or Nurgle/Tzeentch).

For example, the players aim might be to corrupt a particular hive world. The Nurgle player would think plagues a wonderful way to do this, the survivors being led to Grandfather Nurgle. The Slaaneshi player would obviously rather corrupt the hive nobility, leading their decadent excesses into the worship of Slaanesh. Both ways could satisfy the overall goal, corrupt the world, but they're likely to be mutually exclusive.

That being said, the Slaaneshi player could concentrate on the nobles while the Nurgle one starts with the lowest ranking underhivers, and maybe they both get a bit of what they want.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Pumpkin Seeds

I think a lot of the mechanics of Black Crusade are geared toward infighting of the party aren't they?

HairyHeretic

Infighting is maybe a bit strong. Each of the PCs can have their own individual goals. How much they compliment or contrast each others will be down to the makeup of the group. No sense screwing the other guy over if it means the overall mission fails.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

owen84

Its chaos They fight dose not mean they don't love one another. I love the facts that people are so against the female space Marine idea lol. But hay with chaos Especially slaanesh Male/Female what's the difference right?
Why is it that only in death do we truly learn about life.

HairyHeretic

The difference is respect for the established game canon. Female Space Marines do not exist. Doesn't matter how much you want them, they're not there.

Slaaneshi marines may be mutated, but they were still created from males. That's how the geneseed and organs were designed.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Monfang

I'm perfectly fine with female Imperial Guard and Sister's of Battle. You don't need geneseed and connected power armor to be a badass.

Exhibit A

http://spacemarine.wikia.com/wiki/2nd_Lieutenant_Mira (Warning, spoilers)

When the entire command squad was killed during the early point of the battle, she took up sole command of all Imperial Guard protecting the factories. It is thanks to her that so many survived in time for the Space Marines to arrive.

Spoilers!
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
And at the end, when the Inquisition is about to take Captain Titus in on suspicion of Heresy, she is willing to stand against all of the Imperioum to protect him.

Exhibit B

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Saint_Celestine

She first appeared as a  Sister Repentia, a Sister of Battle who fell short of their Codes and now charges into battle armed with only simple clothing and a massive two-handed chainsword expected to die before her sins are forgiven. Which she did after slaying over one hundred foes. However, when her body was claimed, they found it still carried the spark of life and in her eyes shone with the light of one touched by the Emperor. When they cleaned her body, they found it without a scratch. The next day, she stood at the front-lines as a Sister of Battle and claimed the most kills in the entire campaign.

There are more, but her peek comes when after her supposed death at a Warmaster's dishonorable detonation of an atomic pile under his fortress. She still appears saving Sister and Space Marine alike in their darkest hours, coming in a flash of light and slaying their enemies before vanishing again, leaving only dead behind.

Pumpkin Seeds

Monfang, it's not an argument you are going to win.  The rational will always be that they are not there.  No matter how great a storyline is made to justify their existence, no matter how plausible a story or background is made to fit a female Space Marine chapter into existence people will say they do not exist.  Games Workshop crafted a storyline that has no true canon...except Space Marines can't be girls.  In my particular game I had to accept.  If ever someone runs a female Space Marine game, then they will automatically be running the risk of losing player interest and recruitment.  But that is the way of the fantasy universe.

To me its simply the reaction people have to the notion of female Space Marines.  There is a visceral feeling of nerd rage that comes across which seems...very much out of proportion to the subject matter.

owen84

Sorry think some misunderstand. I 100% agree there was no female primarch, the gen seed is male and all marines are and should be male. Just think its funny how some times people get worked up over it.
On that topic why is there no female imperial guard models? we know they serve in some forces so why not?
Lets start a movement 1 in 10 imperial guards should be women.

Monfang

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on March 09, 2013, 02:16:12 PM
Monfang, it's not an argument you are going to win.  The rational will always be that they are not there.  No matter how great a storyline is made to justify their existence, no matter how plausible a story or background is made to fit a female Space Marine chapter into existence people will say they do not exist.  Games Workshop crafted a storyline that has no true canon...except Space Marines can't be girls.  In my particular game I had to accept.  If ever someone runs a female Space Marine game, then they will automatically be running the risk of losing player interest and recruitment.  But that is the way of the fantasy universe.

To me its simply the reaction people have to the notion of female Space Marines.  There is a visceral feeling of nerd rage that comes across which seems...very much out of proportion to the subject matter.
No no, you misunderstand. I was saying it isn't needed because you can be just as awesome in the other fields.

owen84

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on March 09, 2013, 02:16:12 PM

Thats the one Nerd rage its funny.

Pumpkin Seeds

The problem from a roleplaying perspective is that a female character, say a Sister of Battle or assassin, cannot participate in the cohesion system which is integral to the game mechanics of Deathwatch.  What is supposed to be at the core of Deathwatch this both a mechanical and roleplaying story of coming together, unifying and overcoming the foes of humanity.  A Sisters of Battle focused game on the other hand could have male characters exhibit traits such as faith because Dark Heresy allows for men to gain faith through alternative classes or through purchase of the talent.  So yes a man cannot be a Sister of Battle, but can be real damn close.  A female cannot be a Space Marine and cannot make anything comparatively close or even able to mechanically play alongside Deathwatch character.

Monfang

I was always under the assumption that Sisters of Battle were pretty much Space Marines minus the gene seed and with more fire. But I can see where the problem arises.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: owen84 on March 09, 2013, 02:20:41 PM
On that topic why is there no female imperial guard models? we know they serve in some forces so why not?

There are. Or at least, there were.

Back in the RT era, when the Imperial Guard was the Imperial Army, there were a number of female models. There was also a female Commissar, though I think that was a limited edition figure.

I know of one group who moulded female heads and torsos to fit the standard Cadian plastics. Not sure if any of the current conversion bits moulders are doing female parts, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

owen84

I just think it is a bit of a shame that GW have not got any thing. Saying that my wife has a chaos slaanesh army. So if you want it that much you can find away around it.  She has the champions as female by using dark eldar parts.

HairyHeretic

It's easy enough to do. Dark eldar are probably the best source of female GW parts at present. There are a lot of people producing compatable conversion parts ... puppetswar, maxmini, kromlech, pig iron productions, anvil industry and probably lots more I can't remember the names of. In addition, with the increasing availability of 3d printing, there's no reason why more female parts couldn't be produced.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

CupidCatt

Is this still active? Any room for an Eldar Harlequin  ;D

Monfang

As we are minus one GM, I don't really think we can call this active. Mostly it has broken down into discussion while we see if one were to show up.

CupidCatt

Drat. We await the One who will unite us.

owen84

I would but never done a 40k rpg so would prefer  to play first. I like the idea of former guardsman.