News:

Main Menu

Game Systems

Started by Myrleena, February 19, 2009, 03:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Unless you've a decent shukenja around, at which point he can be on his feet a bit sooner than that :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Apple of Eris

The only systems I've ever cared for are:

In Nomine
GURPS

And that's it.
They're not in any particular order either. ;)
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 21, 2009, 06:07:04 AM
You'd probably enjoy L5R then. Not quite the same level of realism as RoS (shock and blood loss rules), but it is entirely possible to die from one lucky hit, even if you're an experienced character. Generally you can take a few hits, but no more than a handfull.
I like the system more than the setting, actually ;).

Quote from: Lithos on February 21, 2009, 09:21:19 AM
Still, it is priceless in a good way when your experienced samurai is out of action for few months and takes permanent stat loss from lucky hit from some meaningles Eta's spear in small insignificant skirmish.

I love L5R
I don't know if that's ironic or not, but it has its own place in my games.
At least, the players learn to act like the pick their fights ;D.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Myrleena

I did like the L5R system, but I had a bad gamemaster for the game.  We were railroaded down the main metaplot, with starting characters for one.  Second he refused to change the plot, so we couldn't actually do anything worth meaning.  Third, he screwed characters over for making good decisions, (dropped a freaking Dark Oracle on my character) and the scenery of the game wasn't even good.  That game had...issues.  There's a reason we'll never let him GM again.
Nice, HairyHeretic, I've rarely heard of GM's letting people do things like that.  But still, sounds like fun.

HairyHeretic

Quality of GM can make or break any game. Doesn't matter if you've the best plot and system in the world, if you have a bad GM it will hurt.

Back in my early RPing days, in high school, one guy tried his hand at running MERP (Middle Earth). We were all starting characters .. I had some kind of human ranger, don't remember exactly what.

The GM took us into Moria.

We met the Balrog.

Maybe a quarter of the party managed to run fast enough to get somewhere it couldn't follow.

Surprisingly enough, he never got to GM again.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Myrleena on February 22, 2009, 03:57:34 PM
I did like the L5R system, but I had a bad gamemaster for the game.  We were railroaded down the main metaplot, with starting characters for one.  Second he refused to change the plot, so we couldn't actually do anything worth meaning.  Third, he screwed characters over for making good decisions, (dropped a freaking Dark Oracle on my character) and the scenery of the game wasn't even good.  That game had...issues.  There's a reason we'll never let him GM again.
Nice, HairyHeretic, I've rarely heard of GM's letting people do things like that.  But still, sounds like fun.
I'm with Hairy Heretic in this one. The same guy could have spoiled Hero for you, so it's not about system or the lack of it...
And a good halfway decent GM should let you do such things if you work hard enough to get them, IMO!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Myrleena

Oh, believe me, I know that.  I would love to play L5R again, as long as I had a different GM.  I do have a friend who wants to run a game, but...he want's us all to be ronin, and I object to that.  On the other hand, I never let a GM ruin a game system for me.  I'm pretty good at ignoring bad GMs.  (I had plenty of them, that's why I ended up GMing, out of self defense. >.<)

HairyHeretic

An all ronin game could be interesting, but as ronin you're automatically inferior to all samurai, and that could cause a lot of problems.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Myrleena

I agree that it could be interesting, but he won't give a reason for it, other than he wants to be able to pay us. *rolls her eyes*

HairyHeretic

Hmm. I think I'd want a bit more info than that before starting a campaign.

If he can get his hands on it, play the City of Lies. It's a 1st ed campaign, but an awful lot of fun.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Myrleena

Definitely, I know that he wants to run a prebuilt module, but I don't know which one.  He says that he wants to learn the system with a module before he makes up his own adventures, but he tends to throw screwball rules like the ronin one into all of his games, and never gives reasons for them that make sense to us players.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Myrleena on February 23, 2009, 07:12:35 PM
Definitely, I know that he wants to run a prebuilt module, but I don't know which one.  He says that he wants to learn the system with a module before he makes up his own adventures, but he tends to throw screwball rules like the ronin one into all of his games, and never gives reasons for them that make sense to us players.
The only question is, do you consider him a good GM ;)?
If yes, he should be able to run a decent game even with a module, and if not, well, module or no module... ;D
And I think the last few posts should be used to start a different thread on systems and good/bad GMing.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Josietta

Wooooo here we go...

DnD 3.0 and 3.5 (I prefer DMing than playing but I love me some DnD, 4th ed does not appeal, never played 2nd)
Shadowrun (love love love)
Marvel Superheroes (my preferred superhero system)
Heroes Unlimited (is okay)
Aberrant (definitely different with taints and such)
Marvel (diceless) (didn't care for it)
Champions (meh)
Mutants and Masterminds (no thanks)
Werewolf: the Apocalypse (LOVE!)
Vampire: the Masquerade (My first and absolute favorite)
Changeling: the Dreaming (Played a couple times but couldn't find people interested)
L5R (was kind of broken)
Rokugan (way broken as far as equality with character classes IMHO)
Kingdoms of Kalimar (pretty cool with the different setting and such than the basic Eberron/forgotten realms)
Rifts (Complex but once you get your character done, its cool)
Star Wars (not a favorite but decent for Sci Fi)

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Myrleena

Ack!  I didn't even realize I'd hijacked my own thread!  Now THAT is embarrassing.  In any case, as I run away screaming from a Paragon Shadow dragon... (that was one of my own...embarassments)
Dang it, I never realized how few systems I'd tried.

Idej

Unfortunately, I have tried little as well.  I have mainly done most of the d20 system games.  I have played Dark Heresy which is very fun, and that is about it.  It is sad but true.

Thufir Hawat

QuoteDang it, I never realized how few systems I'd tried.
QuoteUnfortunately, I have tried little as well.
You should really look at it from the positive side - it means you have lots of room to experiment ;)!
Of course, you might have to GM it in order to get other people to play it. But it's always fun to experiment, and you get to start the games you like ;D!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Myrleena

True, I'm currently going through my GF's Alternity books.  I'm finding them fun, and thinking about trying to convert Shadowrun to it. ^_^

Transgirlenstein

One's I am currently playing now:

Call of Cthulhu BRP system (my favorite game.  Right now we are playing Delta Green)

Changling the Lost (the best of the NWOD games)

Been reading Necessary Evil and am highly enjoying it/thinking of running it
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

HairyHeretic

Necessary Evil has a great setting. I tried running it here briefly.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Transgirlenstein

Would definatly love to run or play in it.  It looks like what I need and want for a super hero game.

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

HairyHeretic

What system would you use? Savage Worlds, or port it across to something else?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Transgirlenstein

Definatly Savage Worlds.  I am falling in love with the system.  It is like BRP in that it is simple and easy to use.  I really hate clunky systems.

HairyHeretic

Maybe a bit simplistic for my own tastes, but to each their own.

I sort of toyed with the idea of mixing it with City of Heros / Villians, but that never really got beyond the concept stage.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Chris Brady

I'm personally burnt out on the whole D&D line.  But games I like...  Well, Dark Heresy, HERO 5th, Dragon Warriors, Savage Worlds are the ones I'd like to play more often.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Oniya

Is it really a hijack if it's your own thread?  *has done that a few times*

Systems I've liked playing: 
D&D 2.0 with house rules (lucky shots rule!)
Changeling: The Dreaming with a completely insane group of players (not characters, players!)
Amber with rotating GMs (we all had home realms, so that we could trade off when someone got burned out - or when the group mutinied.)

Systems I've liked reading but never got a chance to play:
Synibarr (one book, interesting world)
Earthdawn (Lots of books, but even more interesting world to balance)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17