Power Girls

Started by RubySlippers, January 06, 2008, 01:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

Ok this is a crazy idea remember watching those older kids shows like Electra Woman and Isis and Wonder Woman well in that campy tradition is Power Girls. Set in WWII to start you will be a team of modestly powered heroines. Now some rules ,yep there are those, just simple.

-Powers: You get five slots these are for powers and skills "over those of ordinary mortals" as in a superior expert in some area. Powers you get a minor power or a special device for 1 slot that is for an example Night Vision or a Batarang, 2 slots gives you a greater power that is something useful like Flying (no super speed think more can fly pretty fast) or Magnetic Powers (think lift and move a modest sized car with some trouble) or a useful gadget like Batman's Utility Belt (from the old tv series).  With these they work pretty well in a contest of skills with an NPC or the GM to contest the action you can roll two dice taking the highest roll. I must ok all choices and power level and how they work. Oh and a major power cannot be a skill like a martial artist just needs a 1 slot for Master of Kung Fu or Brilliant Inventor and a major power has to have a weakeness (not a big one but I pick it  :P )

-Skills: Pick five skills these you can use and are good at but not a super-duper expert.

-Toughness: As a big tough heroine you get a 12 Toughness (powers chosen can add to that), that is split between Lethal Toughness (you drop to 0 you die) and Nonlethal Toughness (drop to 0 you are knocked out). You can opt to raise either one higher if you want so could have a 6/6 or a 8/4.

-Assumptions your are trained and exceptional for a normal human so can fight and do various common skills a heroine should know.

-The way combat will work is you and the I roll a 1d6 (super powers 2d6) and the highest die wins. If you lose you take 1 Toughness (lethal or non-lethal as appropriate) if you a 6 then its double damage and if a power and you or I roll two sixes then its 3 Toughness. With skills just to use them its no rolls unless its a tough roll situation like Archanae the Human Spidergirl wants to swing through a tiny window on her web-line I may insist on a 4 on a die.

-Intitiative will be a simple 1d6 (unless a power is involved)

-Hero Points: You get one to start and can use this to save your character from certain death or make an extra roll to see if you succeed or covert them to add to your powers and skills. A skill costs 3 Hero Points, a Minor Power 6 Hero Points and a Major Power 10 Hero Points (you must have a monor power before raising it). You can earn more by finishing challenges and good role-playing. But you use one its gone forever but you always get one per adventure at the start if at zero.

-Character Sheet:

HERO NAME:
Secret Identity:
Nationality: Allied Power or Sympathetic (US, French, British, Soviet Union, Chinese or the like...)
Costume:
Appearance (other):
Powers:
[Slots Used] [Name of Power] [Description:] ~repeat as necessary~

Skills:

Toughness (lethal/non-lethal): 6/6 is default unless you move any around

The team will have access to a advanced car, stratorocket, supersubmarine and be attached to the Allied Special Operations Division.

Anyone interested?

Serenity Vixen

Very interested. This is just the sort of game I look for.

I am a bit under the weather today, but if you can wait to let me post a little down the week, I would be glad to join this game :)

"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

MadPanda

Ooooooooo...
This certainly tickles my anima's funny bone, yes it does.  I'll have to see if she can come up with something appropriate.

Hmmm...Liberty Belle?  Been done.  Ditto for American Maid...
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Serenity Vixen

"SPOOOOOOOOOONNNN!!!"

Sorry, mentioning American Maid gave me "The Tick" flashbacks :P

I still like Luner Moth's battle cry  "Not the Face!! Not the Face!!" which is the one I use to this day :P
"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

RubySlippers

I'm also adding three Gimmicks these are pretty much useless powers one must be: Instant Costume Change (aka like when Wonder Woman spun around and poof became Wonder Woman). You can have things like Fan Club, Radio Hourlong Show, Prestigious Ancestor (like a character could be THE daughter of THE SHADOW) or Sex Symbol- Wholesome (the kind of all American girl). Some others could be Great at Encouraging Bond Sales or Inspire the Troops. These are just in effect and don't need any rolls.

Serenity Vixen

So... can I be a feline girl? Something like... Tigra maybe?

RubySlippers

Well you have to look human when not transformed, after all you have to be an all American (or allied) girl hence the free Transforming gimmick.

After all if the Nazi superbaddies and devious agents find out who she is they will likely threaten or go after innocent loved ones and all.

MadPanda

You want characters posted here or submitted via PM, RS?

Will have one for you tomorrow.  Gotta tabletop game in about thirty...

In Memory of Bishrook

Serenity Vixen

Is there a list of powers and stuff, or do we just make them up in making a character?

RubySlippers

Post characters here.

You can make up your own powers just I may gauge the status if its a minor or greater power and those get a small weakness. Like of your a Catgirl you can take a few minor powers like Retractable Claws (minor) so you can fight with them or climb walls but they are not like Wolverines, Enhanced Senses etc. Or take it as Greater Power and have Catlike Abilities then I might give you a weakness like silver does 1 extra damage or something. But then you get blanket Cat abilities for the trade off.

And a theme is kind of expected a feline-like girl might have Catlike Abilities (greater power) and have three skills or lesser devices. Example be an Expert in Hand-to-Hand Combat, Braciers (can block bullets and the like) and be a Master Thief. Think of the basics you need some abilities to attack and some way to defend or heal fast enough to stay in the fight.

Just remember these are lower powered heroines so your tough but not invincible at least when dealing with most opponents your going to be up against.

As for transforming that could be anything the old Isis show had her take out her magical amulet and said "Almighty Isis" and cobammo became the heroine, Wonder Woman twirled around, Shazaam said aloud "Shazaam!" so have fun.

MadPanda

To commence the process, and borrowing heavily from an NPC in the Champions game I'm in...(hopefully my GM will forgive me for what I'm about to do to this character).

ALL of the following is subject to edit and/or clarification  :)

Lady Lagome is a half-blooded descendent of Indian shamans stretching back into the mists of preColumbian history.  Her father was a famous naturalist, and he passed some of his love of nature on to his tomboyish daughter.  Orphaned after a suspicious accident, Amy was raised by one of his academic contacts...and until a fateful camping trip, was quite unaware of her heritage.  On the trip she got lost after a sudden rainstorm.  Soaking wet, hungry, she experienced a vision quest and came face to face with the traditional fertility goddess of her people, a spirit known as Lagome.  The two struck a simple deal...

And two days later, Amy was 'rescued' by a park ranger.  Returning to civilization, she set about getting into the heroine business.  The logic still escapes her, but she is the personal avatar of a tribal fertility goddess who is firmly on the Allied side of the war (something about the 'great death' that should come if the Axis win).

HERO NAME: Lady Lagome
Secret Identity: Amy Anderson
Nationality: US
Costume: White deerskin dress decorated with a tree motif, half mask
Appearance (other): American Indian/Anglo mix.  Green eyes, black hair, freckles.
Powers:
[Two] [Heart of the Forest] [Description: Plant control and growth (or, more specifically, telekinesis with the special effect of 'using plants')]
[Two] [Touch of Mother Earth] [Description: Healing]
[One] [Eyes of the Shaman] [Description: Sixth Sense]

Skills:
Forestry
Geology
Navigation
Pilot (small watercraft)
Wilderness Survival

Toughness (lethal/non-lethal): 6/6

In Memory of Bishrook

RubySlippers

Quote from: MadPanda on January 08, 2008, 10:33:38 PM
To commence the process, and borrowing heavily from an NPC in the Champions game I'm in...(hopefully my GM will forgive me for what I'm about to do to this character).

ALL of the following is subject to edit and/or clarification  :)

Lady Lagome is a half-blooded descendent of Indian shamans stretching back into the mists of preColumbian history.  Her father was a famous naturalist, and he passed some of his love of nature on to his tomboyish daughter.  Orphaned after a suspicious accident, Amy was raised by one of his academic contacts...and until a fateful camping trip, was quite unaware of her heritage.  On the trip she got lost after a sudden rainstorm.  Soaking wet, hungry, she experienced a vision quest and came face to face with the traditional fertility goddess of her people, a spirit known as Lagome.  The two struck a simple deal...

And two days later, Amy was 'rescued' by a park ranger.  Returning to civilization, she set about getting into the heroine business.  The logic still escapes her, but she is the personal avatar of a tribal fertility goddess who is firmly on the Allied side of the war (something about the 'great death' that should come if the Axis win).

HERO NAME: Lady Lagome
Secret Identity: Amy Anderson
Nationality: US
Costume: White deerskin dress decorated with a tree motif, half mask
Appearance (other): American Indian/Anglo mix.  Green eyes, black hair, freckles.
Powers:
[Two] [Heart of the Forest] [Description: Plant control and growth (or, more specifically, telekinesis with the special effect of 'using plants')]
[Two] [Touch of Mother Earth] [Description: Healing]
[One] [Eyes of the Shaman] [Description: Sixth Sense]

Skills:
Forestry
Geology
Navigation
Pilot (small watercraft)
Wilderness Survival

Toughness (lethal/non-lethal): 6/6

Ah a sexy cut "Squa" costume I can see it now...a wholesome indian beauty.

Ok with the first power fine you have an Indian Medicine Woman Necklace imbued by the fertility goddss to her champions and well you lose it no magic plant powers. I will due to the level extend that to plant communication, plant animation and plant growth as well as communicating with normal animals and some skill a persuading them if a land or air animal (if its a magically powered demon dog your on your own lol).

Healing I will make a minor power it will heal 1d6 non-lethal damage and half that lethal damage once per day per person. You will heal at that per day free if wounded, normal heroines with access to the special Army Intelligence Q Division have access to healing vats that heal lethal wounds at the amazing rate of 1 per day (normally its per week). So you will heal as your power per day at an accelerated rate.

I suggest add an added minor power: Chameleon in the Forest [you can blend into natural settings and are harder to locate and the like as you are one with the environment]

Now just add your gimmicks one must be transforming into your supercostume and empowering yourself somehow, the other two I might suggest be Wholesome American Beauty and Recognized Heroine (so your not as discriminated against by certain parties for being an Indian woman in the US and treated better).

MadPanda

Works for me.

Gimmicks...Instant Change is sorta de rigeur, and I can work with the other two.

I was sooooooo tempted to give her a shape-change ability, but that would step on the original NPC's toes a bit too much (her PC husband is the shapeshifter in the family...loooong story, but he's the avatar of one of her guardian totems...)

In Memory of Bishrook

Lanzlo

I'm actually interested in this as well. Now, have to come up with a decent Power Girl persona to throw at the Nazis.

RubySlippers

Maybe we can go for one American, one British and one Soviet OR Chinese heroine. Then I can have exotic Japanese master criminals and superagents.

By the way offworld the Venusians are siding with the Allies and the Martians the Axis.

Venusians are tall and fit blue humans with cute antenae and have the classic flying spinning suacers, but they are a dying race with a colony called Atlantis hidden o Earth. They do have human lovers and a program to try and reproduce with them but its not all that successful.

The martians are fit red humanoids with a militant tradition and attacked Earth in the late 19th century and well lost the fight so want some payback. They have cigar shapped stratorockets and are also a dying race and want human females to breed with. They are helping the Germans with their V2 rocket program behind the scenes.

Both sides are agreeing not to give advanced technology as part of their truce for the Venusian-Martian War over what humans would normally develop, unofficially the martians are asses and covertly doing so. Fortunately Hitler is a moron and won't use their knowledge of atomic physics. That and they don't trust the Martians much.

Well all campish science-fiction had aliens and they always looked very human so....I added them for flavor.

MadPanda

Why is it always the $#&$%ing Martians?
  ;D

In Memory of Bishrook

Lanzlo

OK, thought of something. Since the Mad Panda pulled an NPC from a Champions game, I'm pulling one of his PCs. (And yes, I did get his permission first) As always, everything is up for edit.

Brijjit is not your typical girl. Well, she's not even human. She is, in fact, an alien who landed in the Australian Outback. She learned human interaction from the Outback natives. When the war broke out, she enlisted to assist in the effort. She was sent to Britain for training, and has acquired the nickname 'Captain Australia'

HERO NAME: Captain Australia
Secret Identity: Brijjit Morgan
Nationality: Sympathetic (British)
Costume: Olive Drab tank top, Olive Drab shorts, full face mask.
Appearance (other): Tall, powerfully built blonde with gray eyes. Humanoid appearance has a light tan skin tone, heroine ID her skin is an odd orange/green cammo pattern.
Powers:
[2] [Tough as Nails] She is tougher than the average person, and has a thicker skin than humans, mainly because she has a higher density than normal humans. (Mechanics-she adds one point to her d6 for defense to see if she's injured?)
[1] [Superior Strength] Her form belies a strength that is legendary. Given enough leverage, she can rip the turret off of a tank.
[2] [Kinetic Absorption] The more lethal she's taken, the stronger she gets. The more non-lethal she's taken, the faster she gets. (Every 2 points of lethal/non-lethal translates to 1 point in hand-to-hand roll bonus/initiative, respectively)

Skills:
Firearms
Tactics
Tracking
Hand-to-Hand
Wilderness Survival

Toughness (lethal/non-lethal): 6/6 (Not sure how much you will give for the Tough as Nails ability)

Gimmicks:
Quick Change (minor illusionary ability. She uses this to appear human.)
Fan Club
Sex Symbol

MadPanda

The question remains as to whether or not Lanzlo can write Brijjit's lousy Australian accent as poorly as I attempt to speak it...  ;D ;D ;D

(Repeat after me, amigo...'boojumburra'...'Crikey!'...'Crikey!' (second tone)...'you Yanks leave a messy battlefield'...)

In Memory of Bishrook

Lanzlo

I think I'll just channel the late Steve Erwin when doing her accent.

And I promise, no raccoon jokes.  ;D

Serenity Vixen

I am sorry for taking so long. If I can ever shake this flu I have and my brain clears up, I would love to be Chinese, if I can pull it off, my powers based around the South China Tiger...
I will add more as soon as I can think straight

*Giggles*
((Me thinking straight :P))

Lanzlo

Hmmm... perhaps the code name Raksasha? ;D

Serenity Vixen

Lanzlo

Either that, or (in order to make hyenas quiver) Mufasa!

Oh wait, that's a male lion's name. ;D

Hope you're feeling better soon. :)

RubySlippers

Ok-

[1] [Tough as Nails] Ok so kind of like the Punisher you can have this it will add to your base Toughness since its a major power that would be a +6 points to split up as you wish to Toughness. No small power with the combat system I have worked out an extra 3 to each is a good boost.
[1] [Superior Strength] Sure you can toss a motorcycle with no problem and do lethal damage with your physical attacks.
[1] [Kinetic Absorption] This will take work I will allow a resistance dice roll to attacks of a physical nature so your defense roll would be 2d6 taking the highest one. So energy beams no but a bullet as an object with mass and generates kinestic force would.

Skills you don't need combat skills your assumed to have training and skills as a exceptional normal human already these should be other skills like you could be fluent in a language or be a lawyer or something. If you want to be exceptional in combat you must have it as a power so you get 2d6 over the 1d6 a normal human gets.

So I suggest one for Master of Hand-to-Hand Combat for one and perhaps some way to get around perhaps Extraordinary Leaping or Flying (upper limit 60mph) would work.

Oh and there are only two alien species in my game that can reach Earth so she has to be human, she could be experimented on or altered or the like the Venusians are studying such things but since both species have to officially be neutral they are not allowed as PC's. Sorry.

Lanzlo

Hmmm, all right. So, right now I'm standing at:

[1] [Tough as Nails] [+3/+3 to Toughness]
[1] [Superior Strength] [Can throw motorcycles around, and does lethal with unarmed]
[1] [Kinetic Absorption] [Roll 2d6 for defense vs. physical attacks and take the highest]

Skills now stand at:
Tactics
Tracking
Wilderness Survival

Back story has been changed. She is an early attempt at a Martian/Human hybrid. The Venusians found out about her and, not being the type to kill someone out of hand, decided to free her. She spent time in Australia until the war broke out, where she transfered to Britain.

So, with that, that frees up two power slots and two skill slots.

[1] [Hand-to-Hand Combat] [Roll 2d6 when fighting hand-to-hand]
[1] [Enhanced Running Speed] [Can run as fast as a truck... upper limit around 60mph]

And for skills:
Perception
Alien Technology (bare bones... what something does, how to operate it, and so forth. It might take her a moment to figure it out, but she'll do it eventually...)