Request for PM Enhancement

Started by Lord Mayerling, July 21, 2010, 05:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Mayerling

I have my profile set up so I get email notifications when someone sends me a PM here on E, but there it ends.

I was wondering if it might be possible, or an eventual option, to be able to reply to such an email notification, and then E would pass it on as a PM to the intended recipient. I'm assuming this has probably been discussed before. I guess I'm just wondering what some of the opinions and determinations were, if any.

Lithos

Seconded, I do most all of my gaming and such over Gmail, I always forget to reply to PM:s cause I cannot reply to them where I read them :/
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Vekseid

Quote from: Lord Mayerling on July 21, 2010, 05:51:10 AM
I have my profile set up so I get email notifications when someone sends me a PM here on E, but there it ends.

I was wondering if it might be possible, or an eventual option, to be able to reply to such an email notification, and then E would pass it on as a PM to the intended recipient. I'm assuming this has probably been discussed before. I guess I'm just wondering what some of the opinions and determinations were, if any.

The actual plan for the new CMS is that personal messages will be actual e-mail accounts, that you can access through any client capable of talking to an IMAP server (Thunderbird, etc).

Subscribers will be able to use it as any other e-mail account, others will be restricted to sending to accounts on the network. So you would take one of lordmayerling@elliquiy.com, lord-mayerling@elliquiy.com, or lord.mayerling@elliquiy.com and that would be your actual account name. Similarly, lithos@elliquiy.com would also be your account.

By default, you would only be able to send to other accounts on the same network (@elliquiy.com, @trancephalon.com (the LLC), @bluemoonroleplaying.com, etc), and they would be the only people able to send to you. A subscriber would be able to turn that limitation off, and send e-mails to anyone and get them (and spam >_>) from anyone.

Purpose being that e-mail is something that many, many people have gotten to scale rather impressively, so I could eventually split the PM system off of our current I/O limited systems with few issues.

Haibane

That would be completely awesome and very very welcome. Would the existing PM system remain or should we prepare for a mental gear change when it happens?

Vekseid

I'm basically going to be launching the new CMS under a non-adult banner (a more generic roleplaying platform), and let people get acclimated to that. Elliquiy will then get slowly absorbed into the new CMS, accordingly.

Lord Mayerling

Sweet! Exactly the kind of enhancement I was looking for. I especially like the idea that the user can control whether or not the email account can receive emails from other domains.

You're the man, Veks.