The Gingerbread House (All Welcome - Open Rp)

Started by Aislinn, July 28, 2013, 11:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LillithTheThird

Tired and hungry, Lillith clutches at her cloak as she trips over yet another branch.  She heard there was refuge here in these woods, somewhere...but she'd yet to find it and the night was growing dark.  A crisp wind blew her long red tresses back from her face and she shivered.  "Um....hello?"
Fear me, love me, do as I say, and I will be your slave.....

I'll probably just be your slave anyway.

Sir Percival the Gallant

On a nearby muddy track, Sir Percival, carrying a torch guided his caparisoned destrier at a steady walk, carefully on the lookout for stones and roots. It seemed that the track had been travelled before, suggesting that this was indeed the way to the legendary Gingerbread House of the Lady Aislinn, a magic place of joy, comfort and merriment where many heroes gathered, and where many found new friendships and allies.

He had obviously begun this stage of his journey thither too late in the day, as night had overtaken him not long upon entering the forest. His eyes coursed through the darkness, looking for the welcome light from a window. It was eerily quiet despite the flopping thumps of his horse’s hooves against the mud. But despite the damp air, an unpleasant wind wending keenly through the bare elms, and drips from the bare forest canopy, there was no rain, and he could see the track ahead decently in the flickers of his torch. There was no evil presence as far as he could tell in the forest, and yet it did seem somewhat foreboding. It would not surprise him in the least if there were faeries about, and, although many did not harbour evil against men as himself, their penchant for mischief was no secret. His sword remained ready at his girdle, though he had left his armour behind, as a token of peace. Had that been a mistake?

Suddenly, a nervous, but somewhat fainted call broke the silence, echoing out the trees to his left. It was a woman’s voice: ‘Um….hello’, it rang. The voice was not too far, but probably within range of his own.

Of course, a paladin must come to aid of a damsel in distress; the thought in his mind even as the call resounded. But then, of course, he knew of the dangers of engaging with faerie folk. There were some creatures that feigned the appearance of beautiful damsels only to lure a would-be hero to his doom when he approached too near. Still, to ignore what might have been a plea for help—no, he could not.

He drew his steed Rhyndon to a halt. ‘Who is there in the wood?,’ he called out in return, a cautious hand on his sword hilt.

LillithTheThird

The voice in the darkness causes her to halt, her eyes searching the murky shadows wildly.  It had been a male voice, and perhaps her imagination, but...the tread of a steed.  She cocks her head to listen, the beat of her heart rising to fill the silence of the dark wood.  Moments pass, but she restrains herself, cautious of the danger a stranger could bring.  Lillith takes a step forward, the leather of her shoe finally giving way against a rough stone, and cuts a jagged line through her instep.  She tumbles into the mossy leaves a with a sharp, "Oof," then stills herself, biting the side of her hand to keep from crying out more.  Gaining control of her pain she clears her throat and calls out more plainly, "Hello?  I...I've cut my foot...would you be able to provide aid?"

Sir Percival the Gallant

Upon hearing the voice again, sounding more distinctly like someone in some distress, Sir Percival decided to risk taking a closer look. It would impossible to take Rhyndon off the track, so he dismounted, and, quickly tying Rhyndon to a nearby branch (there seemed to be no evidence of wolves near by), he extended his torch-bearing hand in front of him into the darkness, spreading the light to try and see someone in the darkness. He stepped gingerly into the underbrush, the fallen leaves crisping under his riding boots. For a moment he closed his eyes and concentrated to see if he could sense any evil in the vicinity, but there was none. Still, his sense was not always accurate, and faerie folk did not always get up to mischief out of evil.

'Fain would I deal succour unto a friend which mote need thereof,' Sir Percival called out. 'Are ye friend or foe unto a knight which seeketh a house marvellous fashioned of gingerbread?'

LillithTheThird

Through the gloom, Lillith thought she could see a torch drawing nigh, borne in the hand of a knight, armor shimmering orange 'gainst the warm light.

"If thou be a knight, true born, then, aye, I am thine friend.  I too seek the refuge from the wood, yon magical house being a refuge told to me by my mother, these years now passed."  Hope entered Lillith's heart, as it seemed a companion neared, one who might indeed help her find her way.  She pulled herself up against a tree, the bark stinging her hands as it scraped, though a small hurt, when compared to her hunger.  Her dress clung to her, the fabric dirty and torn at the hem from her wanderings.  She leaned against the tree, trying to hold her injury out of the mud while aiming her voice toward the oncoming stranger.  "Wouldst thou approach, sir, and travel together across this treacherous forest?"

Sir Percival the Gallant

At the next sound of the friendly voice, he hastened towards the voice, the torch borne before him. ‘Forsooth,’ he replied, ‘I come for to furnysh succour unto thee, and fare with thee unto that place happy, wherein we twayn may know solace!’ He strode over an slight incline to reveal a miry depression between a grove of tall elms. The darkness retreated below him and the gloom unveiled a dishevelled but still beautiful figure propped against one tree, her garments torn and dirty undoubtedly in travel through the rough undergrowth. One foot was raised slightly and turned, looking wounded.

‘Fair damosel,’ he began at once as he leapt down, his boots slopping into the wet moss, ‘because thou art wounded, I shall bear thee to mine horse, and thou shalt have my stead thereupon of thine ease. I vow to deliver thee to this house of gingerbread as ever I might. But if thou wouldst hold token of my faith whilest I lead, I would fain assent thereunto, for then thou shalt know the truth of my person.’

He struck the torch into the ground at her side, and knelt, extending his hands before him in an offer to carry her.

CutiebyNight

He entered the Gingerbread House without seeing too much activity inside. "Almost looks abandoned..." he said to himself. "Spooky!" Taking a seat, he looked around, half-expecting someone to jump out of one of the empty corners. "What a trip..."

Darkleather

Carl pulled up in front of the house on his motorbike.  He had taken the Fireblade down a long track and he was so far from civilisation that he might as well have been living in the past.  He checked his mobile phone reception - nothing.  He pulled off his helmet, revealing his neatly trimmed black beard and short cropped hair surrounding piercing green eyes.  He looked in his pocket at the directions he had been given - yes, this was the right place.

He unzipped the top of his leather jacket, revealing another layer of black shiny material underneath - this time rubber.   His well muscled wore the gear well as he tromped up to the door and gave a couple of knocks

CutiebyNight

Alex opened the door for the stranger, quite surprised that anyone had managed to find the place. It had been months since he had dropped by and visited, and the place had been completely deserted the entire time. "Oh my gosh, guests! Come in, come in! There really isn't anything to eat, but we could probably hunt something!  You look freezing in that leather jacket!"

Alex had grown lonely in his isolation. Likely everything he said made close to no contextual sense.

Darkleather

"Hi there - thanks"

Carl stepped into the room and looked for somewhere to put his helmet and backpack down.  "Cold, no, not really.  A bit chilled perhaps - but that's my fault for wearing the rubber underneath."

Carl put his kit down and put forward his hand to shake "I'm Carl.  I got the invitation card to come over here.  Wow this place is off the beaten track."

CutiebyNight

"You're telling me. I also got an invitation, but found that by the time I got down here that there was no one home." Alex grinned. "You're at least fortunate. This place gets super spooky when no one is around. But seeing as there was nowhere else for me to go, I decided to bunk for a while." He chuckled coldly, almost as though he was reminded of something horrible. "When my, uhhh... significant other passed on there wasn't a whole lot of places for me to go. So I bunked up here and collected my hunts."

He shook his head, pointing to the kitchen. "There's a few Cokes that have gone past their expiration date in the pantry! I was saving them for whenever someone did come along. I've been saving them for such an occasion!"

Darkleather

"I usually go for Diet Coke, but I guess one won't hurt."

Carl went through to the kitchen with the somewhat agitated man and got himself a Coke

"Cheers."  He looked around "So how long have you been here -- and what are these hunts you're collecting?"

Although the other man was acting somewhat strangely, Carl wasn't hugely worried.  He clearly outweighed the guy and Carl had a lot of experience of looking after himself

CutiebyNight

"Oh, really nothing much." Alex got himself a Coke, feeling around the bottle. It had been quite a while since he had anything sugary, and he had been greatly anticipating chugging down the Coke. "Rabbits and stuff mostly. There's deers out there, but I've always been too much of a wimp to hunt down something that majestic. I've been learning that rabbit meat is actually pretty fantastic! It cleans up pretty well too." He gestured to the whole place. "I'm liking to keep things ship-shape around here, since most folks don't seem to be coming by."

Alex grinned, uncapping the top of the bottle and taking a swig. "Wow... tastes like crap." Disappointment hit his face. "The bottle looks old too. For all I know this has been here for years."

Darkleather

Carl sipped the Coke which was flat and tasteless.  "Here, I might have something slightly more fresh"

He went out to his backpack and came back with a 6 pack of beer.  "It's probably a little warm, but it's fizzy and at the end of day everyone deserves a beer."

He handed one over "Cheers.  So, this is a hunting lodge?  Cool.  Never been hunting- - though as you can see I'm not exactly dressed for it!"

CutiebyNight

"I'm not sure if it is really a hunting lodge. It's more like no one is here, so I  kind of made it into one. Fancy that, right?" Taking a swig of the beer, Alex swallowed it with some effort. He wasn't terribly into alcohol, but for the sake of looking cool and masculine, he was going to attempt to drink the whole can. "I'm getting a feeling that it was supposed to be a strange get together spot of sorts, but that for whatever reason it just stopped being used for its purpose."

The second sip of the beer wasn't quite so bad, Alex thought. "It's quiet, which I suppose isn't so bad. Makes you appreciate all of the things that you have." Third sip he could barely taste the alcohol at all. "So stranger, other than the invite what brings you out to this neck of the woods? Were you hoping to find something?"

Darkleather

Carl chuckled at the grimace the other man made on his first sip of the beer and then settled back into the chair and started to relax.

"Find something?  Well, nothing really. The invitation was mysterious so I guess I was curious.  Also gave me a chance to ride some roads I hadn't been down before."

Carl paused and took a swig of the beer

"And also...nah...nothing"

He grinned at the other man.  "I didn't see your car outside.  Is there a garage somewhere I can get the bike stowed safely?"

CutiebyNight

"Strange as it may sound, I just sort of left my car out in the woods. As you can probably guess, it has been collecting a lot of rust. Haven't really been using it much at all since I have arrived." He pointed to the door. "With that said, you can park your bike next to where my car is at if you like. Then after that maybe a board game or something."

Alex rolled his eyes at himself. "You must realize how frusturarIng Trivial Pursuit is when played all by your lonesome."

Darkleather

Carl raised an eyebrow "Trivial Pursuit?  Yeah I guess it is kind of dull on your own."

He headed out and moved his bike to beside the rusty car.  As he looked at it he wondered just how long it had been parked here.  Still, it was out of the way and screened his motorbike from passers by.  He headed back in, pausing before he pushed the door open.  Trivial Pursuit?  Really?  What was going on here?  That game was old in 1995 let alone 2015!!

Forcing a grin onto his face, he pushed the door open

"OK, man, let's get that Trivial Pursuit started"

CutiebyNight

Alex couldn't help himself. An excited grin lit up across his face. "Cool! Now I feel I must warn you, I am sort of super amazing at this. Not that I mean to brag... just a lot of time." He was quick to grab the box from a nearby cupboard. The board when placed on the floor was visibly faded with age, and the cards showed signs of considerable use around the edges.

"I will let you go first, seeing as how you're the guest."

Darkleather

"Ok thanks - I'm not going to be much competition, I'm afraid."

Carl rolled the dice and moved his token around to a Yellow square.  "Ummm history -- Ok, hit me"

CutiebyNight

Alex picked up the card and read it out loud. "Who was the sixth president of the United States." He grinned deviously. "I know this one."

Darkleather

Carl sat back in the chair, had a swig of beer and made a guess

"Andrew Jackson?"

Asphodel Terrarium

*teleports to the doorstep of the Gingerbread House* *knocks on the door before somebody opened it and let me in*
Greetings!  :D Nice place you have here.  ??? Hold your horses! You have a fireplace here? How come the goodies didn't all melt from the heat?

Darkleather

Carl turned around in the chair to face the door.

"Hi there - come on in.  Neither of us actually live here."

He stood and approached the stranger, his motorbike boots clumping on the wooden floor.  "I'm Carl and this is....well, you know he hasn't given me his name yet.  Did you get one of these mysterious invitations as well?"

Asphodel Terrarium

Asphodel. And yes, I got one of those mysterious invitations, by owl post.