Dynasty Warriors and related content discussion

Started by Aiden, November 11, 2010, 05:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiden

What! Me and Ryven agreeing on something? Amazing!  XD

-waves the Wei Banner-

Ryven

There were very few Wu and Shu characters that I enjoyed playing.  Besides, blue is the best color.

Heaven Sent Blossom

Shame that Cao Pi got nerfed in 6, of course the awesome change they made to Sima Yi really made up for all the other crappy character/cloning decisions they made in that game.

Aiden

Caeli

I've only played up to 4 on the PS2, but I was looking at the character art and designs for 7 on the official website today, and they're SO beautiful. I'm also happy to see a couple of new female characters, and I love some of the revamped looks for old favorites. ;D I love the graphics of Dynasty Warriors!

AND I just have to say this, as a Chinese history buff - I love that they've included Jin among the kingdoms, even though the Jin dynasty doesn't technically start until after they run amok over the Wei kingdom. I know DW isn't entirely historically accurate anyway, but it's nice to see those kinds of changes when the formula by and large stays the same.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Aiden

Dynasty Warriors HOOKED me into Chinese History, reason I picked up The Three Kingdoms, kinda put a face (however inaccurate it was) to the historical aspect.

I am looking forward to a similar game being made by Koei for Greec-Roman history, I think it is called Troy.

Violence

The Trojan one is called "Warriors: Legends of Troy". The Official European Site  Only six character designs shown on the page, but the designs are pretty sweet, honestly.  Achilles in particular looks pretty awesome.

Ohhhhh... Dynasty Warriors... genuinely one of my favorite gaming experience each and every time I play it.  Not to say that I can't understand why others might be disappointed in it.  Even I had a few complaints about 6... there seemed to be a lack of variety in the characters and the "are you freaking kidding me" difficulty of some of the challenges.

It is through Dynasty Warriors that I was introduced to a man that became one of my favorite historical figures...

I adore me some Lu Bu.  Through him, I also have a fondness for Diaochan, but as I understand there's no reason to believe the tragic romance they have in the games and stuff is even remotely based on fact. ^.^
"Inciting Violence" (O/O) | "Random Acts of Violence" (Requests/Ideas) | Language of Violence (A Story I'm Working On)

And it all breaks down at the role reversal . Got the muse in my head she's universal . Spinnin' me round she's coming over me.
Domestic Violence (My OC's) | The Art of Violence (Stuff I Draw'd) | The Absense of Violence (A/A)

Cravings::  ANYTHING with Ballerinas! | Playing a cheating wife/girlfriend scenario. | Something that lets me play Jaime Lannister.

Shjade

*starting from the OP and pulling through to the end*

Yeah, DWO was...it was worth trying, but I couldn't force myself to like it. Lag made multiplayer combat unbearable and the single-player content was so threadbare as to be incomparable to any of the existing DW games. I love the idea of a massive DW game, but the execution just didn't work.

I played Shu for one reason: they had control of the southwest, and I wanted to play a jungle recruit. Location, location, location! (That and, given you could only borrow a few officers' basic movesets, I knew Zhao Yun was a good choice since that spear is great as a basic crowd-control pattern. Switched to the whip-chain later to try it out and good lord did it suck by comparison.) I'd probably look for a similar "barbarian" role if an open casting call for a DW RP started up here on Elliquiy, though to be honest I can't say I see how well that setting for RP would work out. Large-scale warfare-centric RP? Hm. Maybe, but I dunno. Those seem to kinda break apart into individual conflicts with timing issues more often than not.

Sidenote on the Shu rocks/Shu sucks debate: from what I recall in my various classes including RotTK in the curriculum, it seems that Shu was lifted up in the story as the honorable/virtuous side but in reality was seen as more of a usurper faction reaching for the throne when they didn't deserve it. Point of view's everything, eh? Personally I don't care for the politics either way. I work with the warriors who get the job done; let the higher-ups worry about the long-term consequences. (Translation: full spectrum of favored warriors - Zhao Yun, Zhou Tai, Gan Ning, Xiahou Dun... I don't play faction favorites. ;p 'Sides, custom warriors are where it's at!)

Bleh. I think I may eventually have to get a PS3 to try out the Troy version, but then again, I dunno. After this many games into the series it does feel like they've run out of effective additions to the formula. Why spend more on essentially the same game?
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

CmdrRenegade

I was huge into Dynasty Warriors for awhile, but for me it's become what Street Fighter II was back in the 90s.  It just doesn't do enough with each new release to keep me interested.  The last one I played was 5 and that was largely because my old roommate convinced me to get it.  I had had enough after 4, but did have some fun with 5. 
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

Heaven Sent Blossom

7 has online co-op. That right there makes it a day one purchase for me, frankly.
Legends of Troy looks like it will be pretty sick, and I can't wait to see the ludicrous spin they put on the concept.

Shjade

Quote from: Heaven Sent Blossom on February 11, 2011, 12:11:15 AM
7 has online co-op. That right there makes it a day one purchase for me, frankly.
That'd be more tempting if I knew anyone I'd be playing it with online, but I don't think my gaming friends are into that - they're more of an FPS crowd (yay L4D 4v4 games!).

Of course, I'd still have to buy one of the consoles offering it, and I dun think that'd be worth the cost just for some DW co-op, but that's just my situation.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.