Wrath Of The Dragonkin

Started by Lady Jenn, June 10, 2018, 01:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Jenn

Vennar was a tall, raven-haired, middle-aged blacksmith who stood over an anvil, beating his newest sword into shape, occasionally looking over his shoulder towards the doorway to his forge. His friends had yet to arrive, and after what had happened to his brother he feared for them being out alone in the city.

He picked up the sword, giving it a few practice swings and smiling as he saw that it was perfect as usual. This one was intended for a special use however, one he had long expected to come but had still dreaded. He walked over to where a small painting of a beautiful young woman hung, kneeling down in front of it and closing his eyes for a moment, before looking up at the image.

"I am sorry Ainur," he said quietly. "I have failed you. I promised I would stay out of the wars that scarred this world, but now I fear I have no choice in the matter, I see no other option anymore."

Willow Sol

There was a silence around him as he quietly packed his bag. There was silence in his mind and silence in the room. Luca packed lightly but efficiently for a weekend hunt to bring back game. It wasn’t something that they entirely relied on. His family was wealthy enough to buy fresh cut meat from the butcher, but Luca considered it a well worth hobby to entertain himself every now and then.

It was sometimes dangerous though and he could feel the tension in the room build as he packed. No one could tell him otherwise. Orc patrols liked to walk through the forests he hunted and they weren’t entirely fond of humans. It had never worried Luca. He was a fair fighter, but an ambush was always a possible outcome.

As he was packing his bags he checked all of his equipment. A low mumble escaped his breath as he checked the sharpness of his hunting knife. There was a niche in the blade. He had let a friend borrow it for their own hunting trip. It was just like them to not report the break back to him.

Luca turned around, slinging his bag over his shoulder. “I’m headed to the blacksmith. Guess I’ll need to get a new hunting knife.” He had the money, but it wasn’t something he would have preferred to spend it on. Rhyse would owe him later. With goodbyes being said, Luca headed out the door. The blacksmith wasn’t a long walk in terms of the trip he was about to make, and he had to have the hunting knife. There wasn’t really an option.

He opened the door, the metal hinges squeaking loudly. He cursed the intrusion to himself as he saw the man kneeling at the floor. “Sorry, I can come back.” Luca hesitated though. He really needed the knife.
what better way to live life than to create a world of your own and disappear there

Request Threads:
Adult | Non-Adult | Tracker

Lady Jenn

"My apologies," Vennar said, standing up and turning to face him. You are welcome into my forge, what may I interest you in?" He studied the newcomer closely, wondering if he was a suitable choice to wield the sword, but realising it was impossible to tell at that moment in time. Just as he was indicating a seat for the man to take, the door swung open again, and an aged woman in a long grey cloak stepped into the room. "Carolina, what have I taught you about knocking before you enter?"

"If you didn't want me in the house you'd have done a better job of keeping the door shut," the woman said, laughing, before turning to look at Luca. "You chose a good candidate to go north Vennar, have you told him the plan yet?"

"I haven't chosen anything," Vennar replied angrily. "This is a complete coincidence, this man barely knows me, why would he be going north for any reason?"

Willow Sol

Luca gave a half effort smile before taking a seat and reaching into his pocket for his silver pieces. "I just need a decent hunting knife. If not the one I have needs fixing, but I leave today for--"

The door to the shop swung open and Luca turned his head to meet the gaze of an elderly woman cloaked in gray. Her words made him switch his gaze back to the blacksmith, his jaw dropped a little in his confusion. "Sorry, what? I mean I am going north but just to hunt. I think you've got the wrong person." Luca hesitated, setting his hands on the table as he took out a few pieces of coin for a new blade.
what better way to live life than to create a world of your own and disappear there

Request Threads:

Lady Jenn

"See Carolina," Vennar said, preparing the fresh metal. "He's not going anywhere near there, we'll have to look elsewhere."

"Then who is going to Vennar?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. "You are too ill, my days of adventuring ended many moons ago, and most of the resistance are dead, in one of Myraz's prisons and too scared to leave their house. If we could get your bro..." The words died on her lips as she saw the tears in Vennar's eyes. "Vennar, I didn't know, I'm so sorry."

"It doesn't matter," Vennar said, bringing his hammer down hard against the blade. "Myraz has won Carolina, I'm not risking my life for this."

Willow Sol

Luca felt emotion rising in the room and the conversation that was happening between the two put a knife in his stomach. He heard the words and a cold sweat ran down his temple. "You're with the resistance?" He stood up from his chair, hands planted firmly on the table.

He had heard little to nothing of a resistance, only that there was one but it was small. Luca had heard of their attempts to bring an end to the king's reign. Usually, talk about the resistance or even thinking about betraying the king was a death sentence. This struck fear in most people, but Luca found himself honored to be in their presence.

"You can't just give up." Luca thought of all of the people Myraz has killed. He was a ruthless king and it was an injustice to let him sit on the throne. The thought made his blood boil. "If you had a way to take him down why don't you?" The man paused, sitting back down. Perhaps he was out of place to say such things.

Request Threads:

Lady Jenn

"If it was that simple, don't you think someone would've done it before?" Vennar snapped at him, managing to stop the hammer falling again as he realised the blade might snap due to the amount of force.

"Vennar, allow me," Carolina said, resting a hand on Vennar's arm. "He is not our enemy, getting angry at him will not help anyone." She offered Vennar a small smile as he seemed to relax, before turning to Luca. "Tell me, how much do you know of the story of Myraz's rise to power? I'm one of the few that does know, but as the city historian it is part of my job to know such details."

Willow Sol

Luca stood his ground, his eyes peering at the man as he snapped at his jumpy response to their seemingly private conversation. He settled as the older woman spoke to him.

He had heard stories of Myraz as a child and the cruelties of his reign. He had even seen some of it first hand, but much of what he had been told were stories to scare children or tales that were told to give lessons of life. Talking illy about the king wasn't something that was done regularly. The people knew better than to curse his name. Luca shook his head and shrugged. "Does anyone?" he questioned blankly. "He's been in reign for as long as anyone can remember," he paused, his jaw clenching, "I know him mostly for his cruelty though."

Request Threads:

Lady Jenn

"Myraz should have died a century ago," Vennar said as he set to work again. "He shouldn't have been a king ever, nevermind now."

"Before Myraz there was a tyrant possibly more evil even than him," Carolina said, taking a seat. "Somehow he had access to an artefact of the dragons, which gave him access to magic no human could match. In desperation Myraz made his way to Dragonblight and begged the lord of the dragons for his aid. He promised that in return the stolen relic would be returned to them, so an army marched south."

"But at the point where they could have won, Myraz betrayed the dragons," Vennar said. "He took the relic as his own, and when the dragon lord attempted to stop him he turned the relic on him and slew him. He even used it to threaten the dragon's son, forcing him to retreat. But not before the new lord of the dragons promised his kin would march south again one day, at which point Myraz would pay for the crime he had committed."

"No dragon has been seen in 150 years since," Carolina said. "Which means if we are to ask Stormrider for help we will need to go to them. But that is no simple task."

Willow Sol

Luca leaned back into his seat. A lot of this had always been just stories to him. The woman seemed to know what she was talking about and as a historian she had no reason to lie or falsify anything. The man didn't doubt her information, but the idea that the stories were actually true puzzled him.

"Are we even sure that Stormrider will help after all of this time? If dragons are still around, would they risk their existence by revealing themselves to Myraz again?" He crossed his arms over his shoulder. An alliance was an alliance, but are humans even worth that much to the dragons? What if they went to Stormrider only to have their request denied?

"This artifact," he leaned forward sternly, "is that what has given Myraz life for so long? He'll die without it, right?" Luca wanted to hear the truth so desperately and it showed clearly on his face.

Request Threads:

Lady Jenn

"If we don't try now there won't be anyone left to try," Vennar said with a sigh. "Most people won't even leave their houses after dark, they're not going to gamble on a dangerous journey north."

"Trying to directly attack him would be risky," Carolina said after a moment's thought. "If you think it is the right choice I can hardly stop you, but a lord of Dragonblight...the mightiest of their kind have been said to be capable of destroying an army single-handedly, if Myraz can slay one I would think very carefully before taking him on in a straight fight."

Willow Sol

Luca shifted in his seat with curiosity. "If a head-on approach won't work, then what do you suggest?"

They seemed to have missed his question regarding Myraz's extended lifespan, but Luca was smart enough to put the pieces together. They needed to get the amulet away from him if they would even have a chance. He couldn't help but wonder how the Resistance would even be able to approach Myraz. He was the king, after all, and incredibly powerful. "You must have some sort of secret weapon or tactic?" He looked towards Vennar.

Luca had only come here for a knife, but he found himself intrigued at the trumpets of an upcoming war. He was a fighter and it showed in his attitude and build.

Request Threads:

Lady Jenn

"You didn't answer his question Carolina," Vennar said, giving her a disapproving look.

"When you're 73 I would be amazed if you're memory is as good as mine," she said with a sigh. "If you could get the relic away from him...I don't know if it would kill him instantly, but it would certainly make him easier for you to kill. I believe there are those who would be willing to help you, I even have..." she stopped, loud noises emanating from beyond the doorway causing Vennar to grab his blacksmith's hammer and opening the door. "What is it Venn?"

"Myraz's men are out in the streets," he replied, grimacing. "If anyone's going, it's going to have to be tonight."

"What do you say?" Carolina asked, turning to Luca. "I can't get you to the dragons, but I can at least give your journey a head start."

Willow Sol

Luca's head shot towards the door, and he stood slowly as Vennar seemed defensive by the noises. He turned back to the woman as she spoke, but his eyebrows crinkled at her next request. Luca paused, he'd only come here to purchase a new knife. This wasn't at all what he had planned for the coming week. "I..." He hesitated, "There's no one else?"

He looked back at them, but as he heard the soldiers fumbling around outside, his heart stood. Luca nodded, "I'm not at all prepared for this. I don't have a sword or any armor." He slung his bag over his shoulder, rummaging through it to recount what he had packed for what he thought was going to be a simple weekend of hunting game.

Request Threads:

Lady Jenn

"I have supplies," Carolina said, offering him a warm smile. "I feared this would happen so I made sure if someone was going to travel they'd have something to take with them."

"The sword," Vennar said, taking his freshly forged blade and handing it to Luca. "In my younger days I'd have wielded it myself, I am sure it will be able to aid you in all but the most dire of conflicts. I can even give you a sheath." He left the room for a moment, returning with a sheath for Luca.

"If you're ready, my cart is outside," Carolina said. "Get under the cover at the back, do nothing till I come out. Vennar and I must speak before we leave."

Willow Sol

The bit of Luca's stomach knotted. This wasn't some simple trip. This was the beginning of a siege, an overthrow. He was now caught in the middle of a rather large movement that he had never before been a part of.

Luca graciously accepted the sword, eyeing the masterwork before putting in its sheath. The clank was familiar to him, but it made his knees quiver. He nodded, following his directions and crawling underneath the cover of the wagon. His breath was still, and outside he could hear people passing, murmuring their conversations to close ears. The soldiers were causing everyone to become nervous, and Luca too found his heart beating rather quickly.

Request Threads:

Lady Jenn

After a few moments Carolina exited the forge, pulling her hood over her face as she climbed onto the front of the wagon, pretending to calm the horses so no-one would notice her speaking to Luca.

"That cover is enchanted with Elven runes," she said quietly. "As long as you're under it, and you don't make a noise, no-one will be able to tell you're there. I will tell you when it is safe to exit the wagon again." With that she nudged the horses into action, feeling relief that the soldiers seemed too concerned with enforcing curfew to notice her wagon. They went unnoticed till they reached the gates, where two guards stepped in front of them. "Captain Agarna, you've been avoiding me."

"Mistress...Lady Carolina," the taller of the two soldiers said, looking thoroughly flustered. "My apologies, the King's orders are to search any vehicles entering or leaving the city." He signalled the other guard to take a look at the back. "What sends you out of the city at this hour of night?"

"You know the farmers around here Captain," Carolina said, chuckling. "They do not always request supplies at convenient times." After a few moments the other guard returned, shaking his head.

"My apologies milady," Agarna said, bowing deeply. "Good luck." With that he signalled someone on the wall above, the gates opening to allow them through.

"It's a good thing he's an old pupil of mine," he said as they plunged into the darkened countryside. She went flat out, only stopping when they reached the edge of a large, dark forest. "You can get out now Luca, I have a pair of relics to help you, and one potentially life-saving piece of advice to give."

Willow Sol

Luca nodded as if it would help.  Carolina wouldn't know if he was confirming that he understood. The wagon moved forward and the bumps were unsettling at first. He remained still and quiet until he was told he could exit the cart.

Luca lifted the sheet, looking around into the darkness of the night. He turned his gaze to the older woman, "Where are we now?" It was too dark for him to tell.

He could no longer see the town and all around him was the darkness of a silent forest edge, fields rolling from the other side. It couldn't have been to the south or the west. Vennar had mentioned north. That was his only guess but the darkness made it hard to orientate himself.

Request Threads:

Lady Jenn

"This is the Forest of Shadows," she said, nodding to the line of trees. "The sheer size of this place means few even attempt to cross it, nevermind succeed in getting to the other side."

She rummaged around in the back of the cart, pulling out a scabbard which seemed to glimmer with the sheen of innumerable gems. From within the sheath she drew a sword which glowed in the moonlight, strange writing just visible along its blade.

"The Dawnhammer Blade," Carolina said, a note of awe in her voice. "A product of some of the greatest Elven smiths to have ever lived, once this was the symbol of an alliance of all races against a great evil." She sheathed the blade again, walking over to Luca and handing it to him. "As far as I know those old alliances are not dead yet, there are those who may be more willing to listen if you carry this blade."

She walked back to the cart, returning with a necklace on the end of which hung a blood red gem.

"A Dragonsblood Gem," she said, placing it in his hand. "If you believe the old tales they contain literal dragon's blood, but I can neither confirm nor deny it, but I can tell you they are extraordinarily rare. This is the only one of the six known gems that I am aware of the location of. It serves two purpose: it enables you to understand dragonspeak, and vice versa, without a lifetime of studying books, and it will glow when there is a dragon nearby, even if you cannot see them with your own eyes." She gave the forest a wistful look. "Be careful Luca, there are reasons no sane person sets foot in that forest. Keep to the path, do not under any circumstances step off it. And if you happen to cross paths with one of the Elven Rangers who guard this place, tell them Carolina sent you, they will know you are trustworthy."

Willow Sol

His eyes glimmered at the blade that was presented to him. Awe colored his face as he attempted to read the text etched within the metal. It was no use though. The language was ancient, so ancient that they only looked like the scribbles of a child to him. He could not even guess it's origins. He grasped the hilt and resheethed it and secured it at his side. It was heavy, and well made.

Carolina returned with a gemmed necklace. Luca was not from a poor family.  He recognized wealth in objects and this one in particular was worth more than he had ever held . He carefully accepted it, letting the metal chain pool into his hand. He stared into the gem with awe before placing it around his neck.

His eyes turned to the dark forest before him. Luca swallowed the lumo in his throat and felt it bottom out to his stomach like a rock sinking to the bottom of a well. There wasn't any turning back now.

"My family. You'll make sure they're cared for?" He thought of them with a heavy heart. He had not even said a goodbye. There had been little time.

(Sorry for any mistakes. Typed on phone)

Request Threads:

Lady Jenn

"I'm not sure what you expect an aged librarian to do," she said, letting out a chuckle before offering him a sweet smile. "I will do whatever I can." There was a howl that seemed something akin to a wolf that emanated from somewhere deep within the forest, causing Carolina to pull her cloak tighter around her. "You will excuse me if I do not linger any longer, even out here I have a distinct feel of unease."

Unknown to either a pair of eyes were watching them from beneath the boughs of the trees, a brief glimpse of something glinting in the darkness the only indication it might not be an animal.

Willow Sol

A shiver crept down the back of Luca's spine at the howl and instinct had him clutch the hilt of his sword. He had heard wolves howling all his life, but never one so menacing. He nodded to the elderly lady, "Anything is appreciated," He was aware she wouldn't be able to help as much as he could, but his worry for his family was always present.

Luca turned to the darkness of the forward and pressed through the leaves. His eyes had adjusted the darkness of the night and the light of the full moon squeezed through the crowns of the trees. He could see enough to safely make his way over stumps and fallen branches. A cold sweat is the only thing that bothered him. He could feel inhuman eyes resting on him, but from where he couldn't say. He kept his hand on the hilt of his sword as he pressed forward.

Request Threads:

Lady Jenn

There was a figure following him, wrapped in a long green cloak with a hood pulled over its face. It held a bow in one hand, and a quiver full of green-fletched arrows was slung over one shoulder. It stopped suddenly, knocking an arrow to its bow and pointing it in Luca's direction, but he wasn't its target. Stalking towards him through the undergrowth was the shadowy form of a wolf, but just as the wolf pounced it fell onto the path, an arrow pierced through its neck. Almost immediately another arrow was on the string, now pointed at Luca.

"Who dares trespass on the sacred ground of Ale'thale?" the figure called out. "Speak quickly, I am not known for missing my target."

Willow Sol

The undergrowth rustled behind Luca and with a switch motion, he unsheathed his sword, spinning around to see the jaws of a snarling wolf lunging toward him. He had prepared to strike the beast but as he brought up his sword the strike, the wolf fell flat at his feet. An arrow sat halfway pierced through its neck. Luca looked up, his sword lifted defensively as he saw a cloaked figure approach. The bow in the being's hand pointed at Luca's face.

There was little time for hesitation. He could sense bloodlust in the eyes that stared at him. They were fierce and serious. He removed his hand from his hilt to show his compliance. His heart stuttered. He couldn't be sure if the being in front of him could be trusted or not. Giving away his purpose of traveling could prove dangerous. Luca kept his answer as vague as possible. "I am unaware this land was sacred. I don't mean any harm. Carolina: does the name mean anything to you?" He eyes the cloaked being cautiously for any hint at a recognition of the name.

Request Threads:

Lady Jenn

"Caro..." the figure started saying, before laughing. "Oh Carolina, you never fail to surprise me." The figure returned the arrow to its quiver, putting the bow back over its shoulder. A pair of gauntleted hands reached up to the hood, pulling it back to reveal...a female elf with pale white skin, long silvery hair flowing past her shoulders. A set of daggers and a sword were visible hidden away in her tunic.

"My name is Ariadne," the elf said, offering a gauntleted hand. "I know Carolina well enough to know she would not send anyone into this forest without good reason, what could possibly bring you here that desperately."