News:

Main Menu

New Comic Book Day

Started by Friday, April 23, 2014, 08:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friday

It's Wednesday - New Comic Book Day for the comic book geeks among us.  This was a pretty lean week for me:  The only thing in my pull file was Star Trek #32 ("I, Enterprise" part 2).

What did you get this week?  What series are rocking your socks right now?  What are you looking forward to?

Right now the series that I'm loving most are Wonder Woman, the new Serenity miniseries, and the new ElfquestMy Little Pony continues to be excellent as well - I've never seen another comic do such a great job of mixing stories for the kids with inside jokes for the adults (anyone else notice the Danaerys Targaryen cameo a couple of issues back?)

I'm looking forward to Figment (people have been excited about new Marvel movies as a result of the Marvel/Disney merger, but I'm more excited about the prospect of Disney comics) and to Life with Archie #46 (Archie dies!   :'()

Florence

Admittedly, I'm sort of struggling to really get interested in new comics :C

I don't really find myself compelled to read much by Marvel lately. The only character I'm really interested in is Jubilee, because Vamp Jubes is awesome.

DC, in my opinion, pretty much shot themselves in the foot with the New 52 reboot. They canceled a lot of great series, like Secret Six, which was my absolute favorite series DC has ever published (close seconds being Gotham Central and the classic New Teen Titans run); and they replaced them with a bunch of series that have really just made me feel... meh.

Red Hood and the Outlaws and the New 52 Teen Titans series both do nothing for me. It doesn't help that I think Scott Lobdell, apart from being a sexist jerk, is a talentless hack who really needs to stop getting work. He is to comic book writing, what Rob Liefeld is to comic book art.

I'd be up for any good suggestions, though, if there's anything post New 52 that's actually still worth reading. I've been tempted to pick up Batwoman. Greg Rucka's got a pretty solid track record if you ask me, and I really do like the character of Batwoman. I was a little turned off from reading it last year when two of the people on the series quit after DC decided none of their heroes are allowed to get married; which, for the record, is a decision that I think will actually give you a brain tumor if you think about it too hard. I won't even get into their flimsy attempt to argue that the king and queen of Atlantis are somehow not married...

But at any rate, given my lack of other comic interests, yeah... definitely considering giving Batwoman a swing. I've also been considering Batgirl and Red Sonja. If you can't tell, I'm a gigantic fan of Gail Simone's work. She is, in my opinion, the single best comic writer working today. Oh, I have been also meaning to give her new Tomb Raider comic a read, since I loved the reboot game.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Friday

I think DC has shot themselves in the foot with the New 52 and their response has been to reload and keep shooting.  They've cancelled 4 series that I liked (Dominique Laveau: Voodoo Child, Legion of Super-Heroes, Legion Lost, and Ame-Comi Girls), suckered me into a totally pointless crossover "event" (Rotworld), and they've managed, despite my best efforts and my enduring love of the character, to drive me away from Green Arrow.

I like the new all-girl X-Men - it's the only Marvel title I currently collect.

Gail Simone is one of the few people in comics whose name has the power to draw me toward a comic.

A lot of my friends love Saga, but I tried it once and bounced off.  I may try it again if the local library picks up the trades.

Florence

DC just needs to stop doing crossover events. They just don't know how to do them right any more. Every single one they seem to do is terrible.

Ugh, speaking of Green Arrow; I just... another reason I can't read Red Hood and the Outlaws is that I just can't even look at Roy Harper after how much they've butchered his character. I heard that they retconed it in the New 52, but I ALSO heard that they retconed Lian entirely out of existence which is just... ugh. Why? Why DC, why? Why do you hate nice things? Though I haven't been keeping up with Green arrow, so I'm curious what they've done to ruin it precisely.

Saga does look fairly interesting, though, I might give that a go some time.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Friday

More than anything, my problem with Green Arrow was their inability to maintain a stable creative time and consequently their inability to tell a coherent story.  Then when I thought they finally had things fixed, they dragged Green Arrow into the Batman: Year Zero storyline and I just said to hell with it and haven't even looked at a new Green Arrow comic since last August.  If I decide I want to read Green Arrow, there are plenty of back issues I haven't read.

Florence

DC really needs to get their stuff together.

Sidenote: I am really torn on the matter of Red Sonja.

On one hand, I know Gail Simone can write solid female characters, balancing the sexy with the seriousness, and making them legitimate characters.

On the other hand, I can't get over the fact that Red Sonja is wearing a scalemail bikini. I know she's from Conan the Barbarian and everything... but I have to admit, in 2014 it just seems like... really?

But... at the same time, I don't want to let something as simple as a character's outfit turn me away from what could turn out to be a solid series. Like I said, I have faith in Gail Simone's ability to write female characters well.

Friday

Red Sonja is sort of like Vampirella - you're pretty much stuck with Ye Olde Costume and have to decide if you can overlook it or not.  (The writeup in Comic Shop News of the new Vampirella title sounds pretty interesting, but I'm not sure if I can overlook the costume.)

Callie Del Noire

Right now.. I'm waiting on the new Atomic Robo series.. I think Marvel killed my last bit of loyalty with this latest round of abortions to the Ultimate setting.

Friday

I read a couple of issues of the last Atomic Robo series.  I didn't know they were doing another one - might have to look into that.

WackWackWack

Late reply but when it comes to New 52 stuff, there were a few good stories, Deathstroke's side series was fantastic, Death of the Family was amazing, too. Forever Evil looks pretty promising, I must say.
Secret Six got on my nerves though, HATED what they've done to Bane. That was abysmal, he just magically has this fatherly crush on that chick or something.