Looking for some book / movie / TV series recommendations

Started by Beorning, August 16, 2017, 03:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Lately, I'm in the mood for some specific kinds of fiction - in a form of books, movies or TV series... I've been trying to find such fiction on my own, but I haven't been able to. So, I thought that, maybe, I could ask around for recommendations?

Here are types of things I'd like to read or watch these days:

• some good mystery story, with investigating secrets and conspiracies (possible of the ancient kind?), lots of twists etc.
  • some gripping thriller involving some sort of investigation - possibly of the serial killer type? Something like The Silence of the Lambs, but modern
  • something horrory and related to the occult, magic etc.
  • on the non-fiction side, I'd really like to find some good "true crime" book about serial killers - one that would explain the motives, workings of the killers' minds etc. There are a lot of true crime books out there, but I don't know which are the good ones?
  • speaking more generally, how about something with fascinating evil women?
  • ... or something with some interesting body horror elements?

Any suggestions / recommendations?

HairyHeretic

Ever tried the Dresden Files novels? Urban fantasy, rather than horror though.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

HairyHeretic

Well, its a modern day setting, has magic and some light horror elements. It seems to be a fair match for what you're interested in, at least to me.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

wander

I'd recommend HP Lovecraft for the horror/occult. There's also some mystery to them in most cases. If you don't know the twist, Shadow Over Innsmouth is a really good read and included in most Lovecraft collections.

RedRose

Quote from: wander on August 18, 2017, 04:17:20 PM
I'd recommend HP Lovecraft for the horror/occult. There's also some mystery to them in most cases. If you don't know the twist, Shadow Over Innsmouth is a really good read and included in most Lovecraft collections.

I was going to mention this!
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Beorning

Okay then - I'll try looking into the Dresden books. As for Lovecraft, I'm afraid I've read most of his important already :)

Any more suggestions?

BTW. I added two more ideas to the "what I'd be interested in" list...

BentLycan93

I would recommend Sleepy Hollow the tv series.
The Mortal Instruments, Infernal Devices and The Dark Artifacts by Cassandra Clare.
A few good movies to watch are... Arrival, Chronicles of Riddick and Smurfs.

HoodedStranger

Quote from: Beorning on August 16, 2017, 03:13:43 PM
Lately, I'm in the mood for some specific kinds of fiction - in a form of books, movies or TV series... I've been trying to find such fiction on my own, but I haven't been able to. So, I thought that, maybe, I could ask around for recommendations?

Here are types of things I'd like to read or watch these days:

• some good mystery story, with investigating secrets and conspiracies (possible of the ancient kind?), lots of twists etc.
  • some gripping thriller involving some sort of investigation - possibly of the serial killer type? Something like The Silence of the Lambs, but modern
  • something horrory and related to the occult, magic etc.
  • on the non-fiction side, I'd really like to find some good "true crime" book about serial killers - one that would explain the motives, workings of the killers' minds etc. There are a lot of true crime books out there, but I don't know which are the good ones?
  • speaking more generally, how about something with fascinating evil women?
  • ... or something with some interesting body horror elements?

Any suggestions / recommendations?
Have you given The Following a chance? It's a really interesting and engaging mystery/horror/thriller kind of detective series that focuses in on this genius killer who taunts and torments the main protagonist with his failure to save people and lead him in circles. The serial killer develops a cult 'following' who perform killings and/or assist him in his endeavors to escape the law.

There's also

Mr Quixotic

If you enjoy crime/psychological suspense, I'd give Michael Robotham a try, especially his Joseph O'Laughlin ( a psychologist afflicted with early-onset Parkinson's disease) series, but also his standalone novels. I just adore his writing style, engaging prose and fleshed-out characters. Jilliane Hoffman's 'Pretty Little Things' and 'Retribution', both serial-killer thrillers, I'd suggest as well.

As far as 'true crime' books about serial killers, although some are fairly dated I'd recommend anything from Anne Rule who wrote quite a few with her 'The Stranger Beside Me' considered one of the definitive works on Ted Bundy, whom she knew personally as a co-worker before his arrest.
Request Thread And Story Links          O/O's

Current Status - Actively seeking another story or two. If we've noticed each other but, for som reason never connected, or we've written/plotted before and you'd like to again, please shoot me a PM.

'I, myself, am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.'