The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Quote from: CuriousEyes on May 15, 2015, 10:11:09 AM

....Good lord. That Black Widow thing for SNL was a joke. This is.... real?

Edit to add:

• I was more of a Marvel fan than DC. How did Supergirl escape Krypton older than Superman but end up younger at the start of this series (I'm assuming some kind of cryogenic suspension or something)?
  • I actually haven't been paying attention - does this show fit into any of DC's other cinematic verses? I think I've heard that their CW shows (Flash, Arrow & Smallville is maybe included?) share a continuity, but that it's separate from the movie continuity of Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad, et al.
  • That was really, really bad.
  • I had a final question when I was watching, but I can't remember it and I can't bring myself to jog my memory by watching it again.

Huh? That Black Widow trailer wasn't real? I was really looking forward to that!

All kidding aside, the Black Widow: Age of Me trailer was better than Supergirl's. In fact this looks worse than the old Supergirl movie.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

Supergirl is to fit in the same universe as Flash and Arrow. There was talk of doing a crossover between the shows. Smallville is in a different continuity.

It depends which origin story for Supergirl you follow. In one, her ship was damaged or something which delayed its arrival till well after Kal-El arrived on earth.  In Smallville, her ship was caught up in the meteor shower after Krypton exploded, which caused her ship to crash into Reeves damn and wasn't freed till the explosion at the end of season 6. During that time, due to the damage she was in suspended animation. So physical and mentally she is 18 or so. Highly recommend the animated movie Superman/Batman: Apocalypse. It is based off the graphic novel of the same title, featuring the origin and arrival of Supergirl on Earth.

mia h

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 15, 2015, 11:45:45 PM
Supergirl is to fit in the same universe as Flash and Arrow. There was talk of doing a crossover between the shows. Smallville is in a different continuity.

Actually they've slowly been backing away from that idea, with one of the CBS execs saying they want to keep Supergirl to themselves for a while. So I wouldn't expect to see any crossovers with Arrow\Flash\Legends for the first season. Also there's a tiny continuity problem, from the trailer Superman has been active for a while but there's been no mention of him in the other shows, Arrow is supposed to be the first masked vigillante and Flash the first powered hero. Now if a guy in a cape has been flying round the East coast for the last X years then it doesn't fit either of those.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

CaptainNexus616

I doubt we will be seeing a crossover anytime soon as well. It feels like they are taking a leap of faith with Supergirl so if it flops they won't have to worry about continuity errors with Flash and Arrow (which DC really can't afford right now with all the crap they have been getting).

That said if the show is a hit it will probably be season 2 or 3 maybe a crossover episode on Flash or Arrow to make it sooner.

Still who knows the Trailer didn't inspire much but the actual show may be better.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Saw Avengers yesterday. Was kind of disappointed how Michael Bay-ish it was compared to...well, pretty much every other MCU film up til now. Didn't really feel up to par for Joss Whedon, but we're all bound to lose our winning streak sooner or later. Was kind of wondering about the post-credits scene though:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Where is Thanos stealing the Infinity Gauntlet from? Asgard? Because that doesn't look like the same place it was being kept in the first Thor movie.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Mathim on May 16, 2015, 09:08:16 AM
Saw Avengers yesterday. Was kind of disappointed how Michael Bay-ish it was compared to...well, pretty much every other MCU film up til now. Didn't really feel up to par for Joss Whedon, but we're all bound to lose our winning streak sooner or later. Was kind of wondering about the post-credits scene though:
Where is Thanos stealing the Infinity Gauntlet from? Asgard? Because that doesn't look like the same place it was being kept in the first Thor movie.

Actually if you look carefully
, that gauntlet Thanos has is for the left hand, while the one on Asgard is for a Right hand...which raises many curious questions.

Matttheman89

I don't think there's been much clarity on this issue yet, but I think Kevin Feige has said the MCU has TWO Infinity Gauntlets instead of one. So...make of that what you will.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Mathim on May 16, 2015, 09:08:16 AM

I personally thought Avengers did what Bay has failed for the last three sequels to do. Make a good movie with a bad guy robot.
By
I thought Thanos was just taking the Gauntlet out of the storage unit he was keeping it in. In truth the one you see in Thor for a single second may just have been an easter egg to hint at what's coming. Or it could even be from another Universe all together.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

TheGlyphstone

Explosions fill theater seats. This is the lesson Bay has taught Hollywood. Joss Whedon succeeded where Bay has failed by including both lots of explosions/fights and a good story with good characters.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 16, 2015, 02:00:04 PM
Explosions fill theater seats. This is the lesson Bay has taught Hollywood. Joss Whedon succeeded where Bay has failed by including both lots of explosions/fights and a good story with good characters.

Okay, you're half-right. I thought the amount of stuff and characters they had to cram into it really hurt the story and both Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were awful, both in character and the actors portraying them. But it's nowhere near as bad as anything Michael Bay has done, so it's not a failure like most of his projects. It just was way below par for both Joss Whedon and the MCU as a whole. I can definitely see why it doesn't seem to be indicating it will reach anywhere near its predecessor's box office.

SapphireStar

Does anyone know if this rumor is true? I spotted a news article through Yahoo, which said Stephen Amell is done with Arrow. No more costume, etc. But, yet Arrow is returning for a fourth season, and Amell was sporting a bow and hood for Legends of Tomorrow? Is this hype to get people to tune back in, or is it true? Or, is this in regards to him off filming the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie as Casey Jones?

Matttheman89

Stephen Amell has a bit of a habit of playfully teasing fans of Arrow. He did a similar thing after Oliver supposedly died after his first fight with Ra's Al Ghul. I couldn't really say where Arrow is going in season four or where exactly Ollie will be, but it's pretty clear that his time with Arrow is far from finished.

Personally, I think it's supposed to be a metaphor of sorts for what's happened to the identity of 'Arrow'. Ra's has put Oliver in a place where he can't be the Arrow anymore without risking his identity as Oliver Queen. So he's done being the Arrow, but not done being a hero. The odds are this is just a way for them to finally use the Green Arrow moniker, instead of just going by Arrow.

SapphireStar

True. But, it has been hinted that the focus will shift to the others. And, they have been saying that season 4 will be a bit on the lighter side. Thea seems to be gearing up to take on the red hood and jacket. New villain will be tied in with H.I.V.E..

Currently, Amell is off filming different projects, so, leaves little time to film any Arrow episodes. At least for the first half of the season. I get the feeling that he will only return in a supporting capacity from time to time. Even if he returns as Green Arrow, people will still know it is Oliver Queen. If green arrows start popping up in the city, the police will know. Unless they do a time reversal or something to wipe out that knowledge.

Mathim

Okay, I've made up my mind. Since it's available on Netflix, I'm going to start binging Arrow and see if it captivates me enough to get through the first season.

Inkidu

Marvel Cinematic Universe and Ultron Spoilers
So, assuming Thanos has one of the infinity stones, that means there's only one more that isn't accounted in the movies so far. I wonder when it'll show up.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Deamonbane

Quote from: Mathim on May 18, 2015, 08:06:40 AM
Okay, I've made up my mind. Since it's available on Netflix, I'm going to start binging Arrow and see if it captivates me enough to get through the first season.
It starts out a little slow, but it gets better as you move on to the middle of the first season.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

mia h

Quote from: Deamonbane on May 18, 2015, 11:08:24 AM
It starts out a little slow, but it gets better as you move on to the middle of the first season.
Well once Oliver stops talking to himself in voice-overs it picks up considerably.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: Inkidu on May 18, 2015, 10:36:16 AM
Marvel Cinematic Universe and Ultron Spoilers
So, assuming Thanos has one of the infinity stones, that means there's only one more that isn't accounted in the movies so far. I wonder when it'll show up.

Why would we assume that, though? All we know for certain is
he has the Gauntlet, and nothing more can be confirmed. It's reasonable to think he might have at least one (at least, if he was willing to gamble another of them by giving it to Loki and sending it to Earth) but we can't draw that conclusion yet. Besides, there's so many movies prior to Infinity War, won't it be more fun for him not to already have any other pieces of the puzzle and go fuck with everyone who has them so he can take them?

Inkidu

MCU Spoilers
General genre savvy. Sure there's nothing overtly saying he's got one, but generally you can assume the big bad always has one of the McGuffins. He did lose the one he gave to Loki though.

Still, when he does go to get them it'll be interesting. He's got to go to some pretty extreme lengths to get the other five/six. Even for a mad titan. :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Inkidu on May 18, 2015, 08:42:47 PM
MCU Spoilers
General genre savvy. Sure there's nothing overtly saying he's got one, but generally you can assume the big bad always has one of the McGuffins. He did lose the one he gave to Loki though.

Still, when he does go to get them it'll be interesting. He's got to go to some pretty extreme lengths to get the other five/six. Even for a mad titan. :\

I doubt he has another one at his disposal. After Loki caused him to lose the Mind Stone he won't make that mistake twice. Plus if he had another it would already be on the Gauntlet when Thanos put it on. That said...it wont be too hard to take the one from the Nova Corp. If Thanos is anywhere near as strong as his comic counterpart is....plus if he has that army he promised to lend to Ronin to destroy them. It will just be Tuesday for Thanos

Zelta Runa

MCU spoilers
I’m actually hoping Thanos can redeem himself in Infinity War. Unless a future movie explains why he’s gone about attempting to gather the Stones in such a roundabout way, he seems lazy and a bit of a moron. Especially with the reveal that the Mind Stone was inside the sceptre all along. Why would he give up a stone he already had in order to (maybe) gain the Space Stone? He ended up losing both. Unless Inkidu is right and Thanos already has either or both of the Soul and Time Stones. Did a Celestial put superglue on Thanos’s throne aeons ago and he’s just now pried his ass loose?
“ All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
— Gandalf

— Ω —
BACK… IN A LIMITED CAPACITY
Requests
Absences & Apologies
Ons and Offs

Inkidu

Quote from: WongBal on May 18, 2015, 08:50:18 PM
MCU spoilers
I’m actually hoping Thanos can redeem himself in Infinity War. Unless a future movie explains why he’s gone about attempting to gather the Stones in such a roundabout way, he seems lazy and a bit of a moron. Especially with the reveal that the Mind Stone was inside the sceptre all along. Why would he give up a stone he already had in order to (maybe) gain the Space Stone? He ended up losing both. Unless Inkidu is right and Thanos already has either or both of the Soul and Time Stones. Did a Celestial put superglue on Thanos’s throne aeons ago and he’s just now pried his ass loose?
Remember that Thanos' weakness is that he sets himself up to fail.

TheGlyphstone

Mathim

Quote from: Inkidu on May 18, 2015, 08:53:48 PM
Remember that Thanos' weakness is that he sets himself up to fail.

I was just going to mention that! There, a perfect excuse for anything illogical done by that character. What's Ultron's excuse?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Mathim on May 18, 2015, 09:23:02 PM
I was just going to mention that! There, a perfect excuse for anything illogical done by that character. What's Ultron's excuse?

He's the month-old literal brain-child of Tony Stark and Bruce Banner. Do you need more reason for him to act illogically?