Auto Question

Started by BraveEarth, October 20, 2011, 07:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BraveEarth

So... I need to add some coolant to my tank because the damn engine is heating far too quickly for my liking... So today first thing in the morning I go to pull my hood release and.... Nothing. >.<

This car will be used today I can't get around that but I really need to be diligent when driving it and well for peace of mind sake I really want to get that coolant in. But I don't know how to get my hood up or that if I do manage that, that it will not stay shut or I will be making things worse when i go to get my cable actually replaced...

Beguile's Mistress

Usually the hood release works in conjunction with another latch located under the front of the hood or somewhere in the grill.  The hinges will either hold the hood open for you or there will be a support to prop it up.  Look for a container, cap or other indicator for adding coolant.  Unless the car is very old you don't add coolant directly to the radiator.

BraveEarth

Without the hood release lever working though I can't get my fingers underneath to get to that second latch. And it's not that old I just want to add a bit and do a flush out at a later date...  And my car really doesn't a have a grill... Olds Intrigue 00 is what it is

Beguile's Mistress

If the hood release isn't working at all you have no option but to try to drive it to the mechanic as is or call road service to get someone to tow it.  You may indeed need a new cable or the cable may just be hung up somewhere or frozen with rust or dirt.

I'm sorry it's working out this way for you.  Good luck, BE.