News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

FIFA World Cup 2014

Started by consortium11, May 12, 2014, 10:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zuleika

I feel so bad that I haven't really been watching it due to so much happening in real life.

I think the USA might win they usually do very good and always coming in close.

Go USA. And also I want to wish everyone who is celebrating the 4th of July a good one. I've been gone all day due to the hurricane.  :-)

kylie

I meant more that it's sort of easy to expect Brazil and some of the others that have done so well historically, to be the finalists.  It's true there are more young players running around this year in many of the big teams and that makes things kind of interesting in a way.  Personally, the vuvu's didn't bother me much in S. Africa.  I kind of liked them, and I thought it was funny that so many people got so upset over them... 

The energy has been fun in some of the games this year, but I still like to have points.  And I no longer really like to see games settled by penalty kicks to the degree I once did.  So more defensive play styles plus a few attackers often failing to finish in the last few yards, gets a little old on me still.  It's not wholly new for a World Cup no, but I would like to see a few more games with more than two or three goals total.

Remiel

Thank you, CastorTroy.   

And completely agree with consortium 100% on the quality of the refereeing in the Brazil/Colombia match--he let the match get out of hand early in the game, and by the time he finally started handing out yellow cards it was too late.    There is something to be said for letting the players play, but when so much is on the line, and players start taking reckless and unnecessary fouls, you have to put your foot down.

I'd also like to add my wishes for Neymar's speedy recovery--you always hate to see a player take such an injury, especially one of that quality.

consortium11

Quote from: Remiel on July 04, 2014, 01:12:28 PM
Hey, I have a question for Consortium or CastorTroy or anyone else who fancies himself/herself a football expert -- hopefully you can help settle an argument for me.  Did you watch the US / Belgium game (or any of the US games for that matter)?  If so, how would you rate the overall quality of the US  defense (not counting Tim Howard)?

Is the fact that Belgium had 39 shots compared to our 17, and 17 shots on target compared to our 5 indicative of poor defending, or was it our inability to keep the ball in the midfield?  Or both?

Sorry, missed this a bit earlier.

I thought the US defending was pretty good without being great. If you look at the saves Howard had to make a large number were pretty much regulatory shots from distance that you'd expect a competent keeper to save... and however good you are defensively it's hard to stop someone shooting from distance. A team having to take that many shots from distance is a normally a good indicator that the other team is defending well.

The issue for the US defensively... and the one that appeared more and more as the game went on... was the inability to pick up the runner. A first Belgium attacker would pick up the ball and quickly move it to a second sprinting attacker who was coming from deep and running into space. That's not something the back four can really deal with, it's on the midfield and the US midfield wasn't great at tracking those runners which is why Howard had to make one-on-one saves three or four times. So in that regard the defending was weak... but then you also have to consider the Belgian team; it's stuffed full of fast, powerful, direct runners who are excellent at collecting that returned ball. If they're playing with any fluidity (and they were fluid in this match) it's damn hard to stop them doing exactly that.

CastorTroy

Argentina v Belgium should be interesting. Argentina have been unconvincing so far, but they're a counter-attacking side who have been forced to come out as the teams they've faced have been very defensive. I think the game today should be more open, which will suit them. And Belgium certainly have enough attacking oomph to punish their defence, Garay could be a big miss but Demichelis is a good replacement. The latter gets a lot of stick because of his lack of pace but he reads the game very well. A thinking man's defender, as I like to say.
Requests | ONs/OFFsA/As

Current Roleplays: My Crown Jewel | Familial Ties | Daddy’s Out (Completed) |

Dashenka

If (or should I say when) Brazil loses to Germany, will they blame it all on Neymar being injured? Like the Mexicans are blaming their loss ALL on the one dive Robben took and completely forgetting that the first foul on Robben was a clear penalty not given?

Fact of the matter is that Brazil hasn't impressed me at all. I feel they are a few individuals who want to be the most important player of the team whereas Germany really play as a team. But now Brazil has an 'excuse' to be knocked out.

I hope Brazil is better than those petty excuses and can just admit when they aren't good enough.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

consortium11

Messi through-ball: Woof
Higuain goal: Woof
Higuain cross-bar attempt: Double Woof
Belgian attitude, set-up, tactics and approach: Anti-Woof.

After the early Argentinian goal (which may have had a lot of luck about it, but what a finish) the game pretty much died a slow death until the last five minutes or so where Belgium realised they actually had to score and it may be worth playing with some intensity. To their credit the Argentinian's actually looked like they had a functioning backline for pretty much the first time this tournament and slowly but surely other players are stepping up rather than relying on Messi. People can rightfully be somewhat disappointed that they were so willing to defend... but at the same time with di Maria injured and a lead it made sense for Argentina to somewhat grind it out.

Belgium didn't help. I've mentioned before that for all their talent they're still disjointed and never more so then today. Their primary tactic appeared to be throwing as many target men into the area as possible and hoping for crosses... but then played without any real natural wingers or crossers and so had to rely on their fullbacks (one of whom is a converted centre-half). Previously great substitutions had managed to pull them through but this time the substitutions were bizarre. Chadli's not a particularly great player at his best and has had a distinctly underwhelming season... why bring him on for Hazard who while poor (over the entire tournament) at least has it within him to create a bit of magic. And surely Januzaj would be a better option if "15 minutes left, time for some heroics lad" substitution is needed?

JackWhite

I have to disagree on the magical part that you are refering to when it comes to Hazard. The substitution was the only right thing to do, he hasn't been in the game in this World Cup except for only one action. Even the last weeks at Chelsea he hasn't been too great and throwing someone fresh on the pitch was necessary. Also Chadli is quite a bit stronger than Hazard which was clearly needed as the match was getting rather bitchy with quite a bit of fouls though I have to agree that Januzaj could've given the spark that Chadli never had and Hazard missed for a while.

Dotley

O&O's || A&A's

"I don’t use people for stories.
I use stories to express my feelings for people."

Remiel

Argentina vs. Belgium

Winner: Argentina, 1-0

My Thoughts:  This was, without a doubt, Argentina's best game so far.  The scoreline doesn't reflect the discipline, ball control, passing and tackling/interception that they brought to this game.  They did seem to take their foot off the gas pedal in the second half, moving everyone back and allowing the Belgians to push the ball forward (a dangerous gamble, when you consider the Belgians' height advantage in set pieces), but I thought they did, as a unit, much better than previous games.  Messi was his usual magical self, but it was so refreshing to see Higuain, Di Maria, Biglia and Lavezzi step up and create some space for their star.  The Argentina-Netherlands game (assuming the Dutch win) should be very interesting to watch.

Man of the Match: It feels so strange to give this to someone not named Messi, but I'm going to award this to Gonzalo Higuain (ARG) for creating a couple of very good opportunities, and for having the presence of mind to capitalize when a lucky deflection landed in his lap.  The ability to take such chances and do something with them is what separates the world-class from the mediocre.

By the way, as for yesterday's game, I'll give the Man of the Match award, again, to David Luiz (BRA).  I think he's one of the best defenders in the tournament, and the fact he now has two goals to his name as well proves his calibre.    As for the Germany-France match,  I didn't think anyone particularly stepped up on either side, and I only caught the last half of the game as it was, so I'll let someone else fill in the blank.

JackWhite

You give Argentina way too much credit though. They were rather good but not as good as you put down.

Remiel

I disagree.  I was rather impressed by them this game, particularly in the first half.   The fact that they didn't score more was credit to Belgium's defense.   

I've said previously that this team looked, frankly, anemic in their group stages, but that was not the case this game.

consortium11

If it wasn't clear by now, van Gaal has big brass balls.

Edit: It should also be noted that Krul went the right way every single time (even if he couldn't always make the save). I'm not sure I can recall a goalkeeper getting it right five times in a row.

Kitsunetsuki

*pouts* At least Argentina moved forward.
[tr]
[td]
O.Os~A.As (around but not seeking)
Ideas (up-to-date)
Poetry~Singing~Wiki~Characters
How the men of Elliquiy have ruined me[/td][/tr][/table]

Deamonbane

Ugh... Argentina moved forward...*scowls*

Argentinians are rude and noisy, as well as violent drunks... I am hoping they win against Netherlands so that they don't play in Brasilia again...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Kitsunetsuki

Quote from: Deamonbane on July 05, 2014, 09:58:37 PM
I am hoping they win against Netherlands
Edited ;D yes, I most heartily approve this message!
[tr]
[td]
O.Os~A.As (around but not seeking)
Ideas (up-to-date)
Poetry~Singing~Wiki~Characters
How the men of Elliquiy have ruined me[/td][/tr][/table]

Deamonbane

*chuckles* They made the hugest mess of the city and the hotels that they stayed in while they were here for the game. Stay away, hermanos. Go to Rio, where it's already a mess....
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Remiel

It's a day late, but...

Netherlands vs. Costa Rica

Winner: Netherlands, 0-0 (advances on penalty kicks)

My Thoughts:  I didn't get to see this game live, so when I heard that Netherlands won on penalty kicks, I thought that they must have had a bad game.  Not so.   They played reasonably well, all things considered:

• They had possession 67% of the time.
  • They had 11 corner kicks, compared with just one for Costa Rica.
  • They had 20 total shots (6 for Costa Rica) and 8 shots on target (compared to Costa Rica's one).
  • They had 595 passes, while the Ticos passed it 245 times.
In point of fact, they were simply denied by the crossbar, the post, Keilor Navas on mulitple occasions, and once by defender Yeltsin Tejeda's leg.  All in all, a rather unlucky day if you happen to be Dutch.

However, Costa Rica played a fantastic game.  Their defense was a disciplined, well-orchestrated unit, catching the Netherlands offside 13 times.  And unlike the United States, they proved to have a dangerous counterattack, spiriting the ball away to the Dutch half of the field and threatening on goal on multiple occasions.  In short, the Ticos did exactly what they needed to do; they frustrated and denied a superior opponent while taking the opportunities that they could.  In the end, it all came down to penalties, and substitute goalkeeper Tim Krul coming on at the very end to make the difference.

Man of the Match:  I am torn.  I want to give this to Costa Rican goaltender Keilor Navas, but Arjen Robben played a fantastic game, as did Wesley Sneijder.  I suppose I'll hand it out to all three.

Random thoughts:

• Tim Howard, Guillermo Ochoa, Keilor Navas: CONCACAF can claim some top-notch goalies.
  • We didn't see much of Joel Campbell, but at least we didn't see him flopping around like a fish on the pitch.
  • I had never realized it, but Wesley Sneijder is a shortarse. Seriously, at 5ft 7 inches, he's like a speedy, shaven dwarf.

Aleph

Read (on BBC I think) that Van Gaal planned to bring on Tim Krul in case of penalties. Given he dived the right way for every kick and saved two, that was some nice planning right there.

consortium11

Quote from: Aleph on July 07, 2014, 03:06:10 AM
Read (on BBC I think) that Van Gaal planned to bring on Tim Krul in case of penalties. Given he dived the right way for every kick and saved two, that was some nice planning right there.

It would have been nice if he'd told Jasper Cillessen about it though. All things considered I think Cillessen took it in remarkably good grace.

Dashenka

This isn't something he decided on the spot. (Pun intented)

He planned this ahead and I'd be surprised if Krul and Cillessen didn't know about it.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

consortium11

Quote from: Dashenka on July 07, 2014, 05:36:36 AM
This isn't something he decided on the spot. (Pun intented)

He planned this ahead and I'd be surprised if Krul and Cillessen didn't know about it.

According to van Gaal he'd told Krul that it was a possibility but not mentioned it to Cillessen.

Deamonbane

Krul obviously trained penalties a lot, studied the Ticos' style of playing and adapted to it. I think that it was something of a given that he would be put in if it came down to the penalty shoot-out...

On a different note.... BRASIL! BRASIL! BRASIL!

Nico

Deamonbane

*attempts to brainwash Nic into cheering for Brazil instead*