Fifty Shades trilogy by E.L. James

Started by Damnedangel, April 22, 2012, 09:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avis habilis

Quote from: Oniya on July 20, 2012, 01:22:32 PM
So, if you want a share of the dubious credit (as filk credit usually is), it's there for the taking.

Score! Dubious is my middle name.

Chris Brady

Really?  You have wierd parents.

Most pick things like Scott, dunno why anyone would want their kid named 'Dubious'...
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Avis habilis

It's a family thing. At least I made out better than my brother Lugubrious.

Galactic Druid

A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Lady Kalypso

"Questioningly" *twitches*

"Inner goddess" *spasms*

I am not sure if I can take anymore....

Galactic Druid

Hey now, The Goddess line is solid gold. I mean I wouldn't have loved it if it wasn't Duke Nukem reading it to me, but still...

Also, when the Duke is mocking your grammar... Yikes.
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Shjade

If only they'd included a couple of link suggestions on the paper. Most people interested in that book aren't going to go to the trouble of parsing Google results for good smut. :|
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Oniya

Yeah, my first reaction was along those lines, too.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Star Safyre

My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Oniya

If I'd posted the sign myself, perhaps.  I'm still not entirely discounting it.

Iniquitous

QuoteThe Damson Dene Hotel, which touts itself as the perfect destination for a “peaceful break away from it all” in England’s picturesque Lake District, is making quite a noise for replacing the Bible with “Fifty Shades of Grey” in its 40 guest rooms.

Quote“I was thinking originally of putting in a book by Ayn Rand — ‘Atlas Shrugged’ was my first thought,” Denby told NBC News.
“(But) because everybody is reading ‘Fifty Shades of Grey,’ we thought it would be a hospitable thing to do, to have this available for our guests, especially if some of them were a little bit shy about buying it because of its reputation.”

He should have stuck with his first thought on it - Atlas Shrugged is a far better read.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

TheGlyphstone

So the average smut quality in the hotel rooms just went up, or down? Cause the Bible's got some pretty raunchy stuff in there itself. :)

Iniquitous

Down!

And I had a friend cracking up last night because I read the first chapter to her. When we got to the part where Ana blinks in time with her rapid heartbeat she about died laughing.

Oniya

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 24, 2012, 06:06:55 PM
So the average smut quality in the hotel rooms just went up, or down? Cause the Bible's got some pretty raunchy stuff in there itself. :)

The Song of Songs is more explicit, at any rate.

TheGlyphstone

That's the same thing as the Song of Solomon, right?

Oniya

Yup.  Different editions call it by different names.  The Hebrew title is Šîr haŠîrîm which just translates as a superlative (like King of Kings, Holy of Holies, etc.)

Silverfyre

Oh yes, the Song of Songs.  One of my favorite pieces; you can tell it was taken from some very ancient sources.

Iniquitous

I have found a copy of the original fanfiction online that became this monstrosity! I have also permanently damaged a friend of mine's brain by reading parts of it to her. In my defense, she was laughing pretty hard at some of the snippets I was reading to her but I do not think she'll forgive me for the brain cells she lost trying to figure out things like how Anastasia's subconscious was staring at Christian or how her inner goddess was doing the merengue with salsa moves.

Stone

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on July 24, 2012, 06:01:50 PM
He should have stuck with his first thought on it - Atlas Shrugged is a far better read.

Ayn Rand has a better grasp of language and composing scenes, I suppose, but Shrugged has higher ambitions, and fails on its own terms.

Let's settle on the hotel guests reading Peter Straub.  O:)
The sphere was solid with Plunkett, and only waited for someone to be in; like, like the meaning of a word waiting for a word to be the meaning of. - John Crowley, Engine Summer.

To manipulate a man is a careful project. Too light a hand, and he follows his own whim; too heavy a hand, and he will turn on you. - Thief II: The Metal Age.

elutia

I actually liked the books, well at least so far. Actually on the third one as I write this.

Is it the greatest book of all time..no not even close. Is it the best erotic fiction. Nah not really. I have read better erotic stories written online. Of course I have also read worse.

*shrugs* to me it doesn't matter. I take things with a grain of salt. I thought even though yes the grammar got really bad at times and it sounded often more like a teen book with adult themes, that it still had it fun and sexy moments.

I was disappointed they took the whole he was going to control her thing to a aww she is going to save his soul route. I was hoping he would break her personally and she would like it :P

Still its not the worse book I have read though honestly by this third book I am getting to the not the -same- sex scene AGAIN point. :P

I did like the inner goddess and subconscious voice, things like that are rarely put in books and many women I have talked to often speak of inner voices. I think the bad thing was her inner thoughts, her actions in general seemed many times that of a 16 or 17 year old instead of the 22 year old she was suppose to be.

But of course that is just my two cents.

Bloodied Porcelain

I despise Twishite with a burning passion and these books are no different. I'm BDSM irl and have been for years... the stuff in this book is NOT BDSM. It's abuse dressed up in the lifestyle and it's sickening that women and girls are reading this and that this will likely be what they expect (and fantasize about) from BDSM. I feel deeply, deeply sorry for them and for the dominants they seek out looking for this kind of relationship. And yes, I do write stories with abuse in them... a lot of it... The difference is, I can tell what's abuse and what's not and I don't romanticize it.

Beyond that... these pretty much sum up my feelings on it:

After thought: I haven't read the entire thread because frankly... I don't feel there is even room for debate on this subject. So if others have posted those images, I apologies.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Iniquitous

Quote from: elutia on July 27, 2012, 03:08:53 AM
I did like the inner goddess and subconscious voice, things like that are rarely put in books and many women I have talked to often speak of inner voices. I think the bad thing was her inner thoughts, her actions in general seemed many times that of a 16 or 17 year old instead of the 22 year old she was suppose to be.

First - one cannot hear their subconscious. Just further proof that E.L. James is a moron for not researching what it is she was trying to say with that little bit. Second - from everything I've heard and read, 'inner goddess' is a poor euphemism for her vagina.

Honestly, this crap should have never been published. Something like a full chapter of 'emails' between the two main characters. Are you kidding me? She lacked that much imagination as to actually type up mock emails? It might actually have been more than a chapter, I honestly do not remember because by that point I was slapping myself in the forehead with how ridiculous the whole thing is.

My next beef with it is something others have brought up but I want to address. Anyone who knows BDSM knows that this is not a healthy BDSM relationship portrayed in this book. But the thing a lot of people overlooked.... this is NOT a Dom/sub relationship. Read the flipping contract (she conveniently spent, what, two chapters detailing it in the book)! That is a Master/slave deal there - and E.L. James shows how much she knows by thinking it is Dom/sub.

Not going to even touch the fact that she portrays BDSM as something only broken people engage in and that they can be "cured" of it. Suffice to say, it pisses me off.

Oniya

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on July 27, 2012, 03:43:30 AM
My next beef with it is something others have brought up but I want to address. Anyone who knows BDSM knows that this is not a healthy BDSM relationship portrayed in this book. But the thing a lot of people overlooked.... this is NOT a Dom/sub relationship. Read the flipping contract (she conveniently spent, what, two chapters detailing it in the book)! That is a Master/slave deal there - and E.L. James shows how much she knows by thinking it is Dom/sub.

Not going to even touch the fact that she portrays BDSM as something only broken people engage in and that they can be "cured" of it. Suffice to say, it pisses me off.

IO - did you peek at my filk a page or so back?  :]  James is so convinced about 'her' version of BDSM that she didn't even bother to research the lifestyle.

elutia

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on July 27, 2012, 03:43:30 AM

These two I can agree with..it is clear the writer didn't have any idea what a BDSM relationship truly is and that the contract was more of a Master/slave deal. And it irritated me that she made it out that BDSM was because he was broken and needed to be fixed. Before I started reading the books I thought perhaps it was going to show a actual healthy BDSM relationship but that image is quickly destroyed and it goes downhill from there.

I suppose I just don't let stuff like this bother me. Its fiction ..which means made up, not factual, from the authors imagination (  or in this case a rather poorly uneducated lack there of actual facts imagination  *laughs*) but still from her mind and not to be taken as real or reality or even serious to be honest.  If it was non-fiction then yes I would be more than inclined to get my panties in a bunch. It is clear she did not research into the BDSM lifestyle or community in any depth or she would have known her portrayal would piss off said community in just the way it has. Also I am not saying any of you who are into the life style don't have a right to be pissed. Just seems there are better things to put your time and energy into then getting upset over a fictional book. Those who take it as real most likely don't really want to know the truth and those who are really interested in the BDSM lifestyle will do the proper research and learn the truth. That is how I learned the truth years ago, I read a book was interested, did research myself to learn more.

Also if inner goddess is a poor euphemism for her vagina that is just stupid and makes no sense..not sure about others but my vagina doesn't do all her inner goddess did and I would seek professional help if it did. :P I still agree with having a inner voice..I don't call mine a inner goddess but that is what I assumed she meant, you know the inner thoughts we get at times that we don't voice. But hey we all know what assuming does.

I am sure most of us can agree to disagree on some points. I just really don't see why people are letting a few books get them all riled up when honestly a few years from now most people will probably have forgotten they exist. Of course I admit I may feel differently if it was about a topic that I was defensive about.

I do like the books (though less so with each one, I am even having a hard time finishing this last one)  but I don't love them. I enjoyed the first one the most mainly because I had hoped at some point he would put whiny girl in her place. ( hehe maybe I am a bit sadist ) Sadly it didn't happen. I don't hate them because I don't put a lot of expectations into something that may or may not live up to its hype. Books can easily fall into this category. Its just a book after all. Plenty more if a person doesn't like one to read another instead. ;)

Again this is just my two cents, not toward any one particularly or to piss any one off. I respect those of you who clearly have strong opinions about the book and hope you respect mine in return

*smiles*
Elutia