The Lonely Life of a Hotel Desk

Started by BlackSwan317, March 23, 2011, 01:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackSwan317

Here I sit, quietly, at my lonely hotel desk all night. I work the graveyard shift at a small town, big chain, middle class hotel, and see more than my fair share of freaks, jack-a's, hookers, lookers, and crooks. Sometimes I need to vent about it, sometimes I just feel something is to amusing not to pass it along to the world of the vaguely ambiguous in cyber space, and sometimes I just need people to talk to for company. At any rate, this thread is designed for everything from your horror or happy stories of hotel stays/work, questions about it, or just if you feel like chatting at a bored lonely desk clerk ^_^ Please, stop by and say hi won't you?

Hy3na

Here I sit, broken hearted... thought I'd-

Wait. I should stop before this becomes another hour-long conversation about bodily functions.

BlackSwan317

Holy crap! Love the Martin with the upright bass picture. Uprights are sooooooo freakin sexy. *drools over the bass* (I'm right aren't I? That is him with an u.b.?)

Hy3na

Ohyes.

Didn't I tell you that he plays UB? I have a plot in mind where Jordan's gang (which I think I have decided should be henceforth known as "The Flock" at least for now) has to pretend to be a jazz band for some kind of dealings (still hammering it out in my head. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it). And Martin really likes music, so he's all "I call bass!" Carlos gets a ukelele. I've got an image of it somewhere. Their band name is "Folkenstein."

BlackSwan317

You mentioned he played bass, but I didn't know it was upright *drools some more*

You know... it frightens me how much you managed to create a character that is fitted so terrifyingly perfectly to my very peculiar taste in men before you and I ever had any idea who the other was. 0_o Not even kidding... you pretty much made him 90% of what my ideal guy would be. It's almost freaky.... on no, it is freaky... *hides* are you in my head?!?!? ARE YOU WATCHING ME?!?!?! AHHH! *runs away flailing*

Hy3na

You know, I was just thinking about that. It seems to be defying statistics. I mean, my characters almost always infallibly click with at least someone, but between the cute-awkward, the long hair, the bass, and the ungodly tall... its just uncanny.

I'm watching you all the way from Indiana, Swans. I have CRAZY-powerful binoculars.

Also, I think that if I didn't include Lixi/Allison in the next story arc I would be missing out on some serious character development. So perhaps our characters click on an otra-planar level. o_o

This shit is way over my head sometimes.

Hy3na

BlackSwan317

Don't forget dark, broody, french (at least in the rp) and posessed.

EEeeeep! Can't wait to see how you portray them ^_^

Hy3na

I wouldn't call him so much broody. Just... quiet. For the most part. Some things just get to him more easily than others.

BlackSwan317

Still, there's just something sexy about a guy that doens't have to constantly be one up-ing every story you tell (as I've noticed so many guys do)

Hy3na

He's a rare breed. Just enough self-image problems to be amusingly awkward, and just enough confidence in the things he IS good at to not be a doucheburger. =D

Oh god... at SPACE this past weekend (did I tell you about this? I forget who all I told) I had this one guy drawing on my table. He said that what he drew was ridiculous and I said "Eh... one of my main characters is a cannibal. I embrace the ridiculous." So then he decides its time to play "my penis is bigger than yours: imaginary friend version" and starts rattling off all the weird characters he has. He ends with "time-traveling viking."

My response: "I read a romance novel about that. Its called 'The Viking Tempest' by Ashland Price."

The look on his face = priceless.

BlackSwan317

Haha :-p that is quite amusing. gotta love the I'm weirder than you game xD

Hy3na

I'm used to it. There was a girl named Kristen I used to hang out with who would play that game all the time. At one point I had to stop her and say "wait just a minute: you're bragging that you have delusions of grandeur?" She was a LARPer and that apparently gave her entitlement to be 'weird and artsy.' Too bad she wasn't any good at the 'artsy' part. >>

-writing response post-

-slow tonight- >____>

BlackSwan317

*shutters* larpers... I had a really REALLY bad experience with a larping crew once... it was scarring... at best

Take your time -pat pats- you know I don't mind

consortium11

LARP'ings one of those things I can never quite make my mind up about. I'd imagine with the right group of people in the right location it would be something that could be genuinely fun... from what I've picked up there's some Continental Europe and Scandinavian LARPs which more resemble full on historical re-enactments than what you'd traditionally think of as a LARP.

Then you get stuff like this:

Lightning Bolt!

I'm sure they had fun (and after all that's what matters) but it just looks so... well... I'm afraid to say... stupid.

I'd also guess that the issues some people have with any form of RP in separating IC and OOC become far more apparent in a LARP'ing environment.

BlackSwan317

Weee! Someone else came into our thread! YAY!

Hi there, by the way.

My issue wasn't so much with larping as it was with this particular group of larpers. They almost seemed like they were trying to be the stereotypical, delusional larpers that most people expect all larpers to be, making jokes and laughing about how they had trouble discerning reality from the game as though it were something to brag about, and they never seemed to switch off, which I know is allot of what you just mentioned as being an issue. It just got very troubling very fast to be around them, and they'd commissioned me to make their costumes, and hence asked meto come spend a weekend at their little larping camp thing that they did every summer. I only stayed 2 days before I left, more because I was the only female there and that got very uncomfortable very quickly.

Hy3na

The deal with Kristin is she just would not shut up about it. Her life revolved around it and how it made her so freaking special. And its like... "That's nice Kristin, uhuh... yeah. That's NICE Kristin. Say, did you get that project done for Scott's class yet? Of course you haven't. Because you were too busy pretending to be SPECIAL." -twitch-

I mean, there are plenty of nice LARPers out there that are sane and have more than a tenuous grasp on reality, but she kind of ruined the device for me.

consortium: LIGHTNING BOLT! LIGHTNING BOLT!

consortium11

I understand why the guy had to scream it (but 7 times... really...). It's the having to throw something when he does it, especially when it unintentionally hits one of his comrades. As a standard rule I'd imagine that when something in a supposedly deep combat scene makes the onlookers laugh out loud you should probably rethink your system...

Hy3na

That is true. But I assume that's why they usually have these sorts of meetings deep in the woods. Or I guess "ambiance" or something.

You know, as lame as LARP sounds, I suppose it could be fun with the right people. Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of the people who are attracted to LARP are the sort that I'm trying to distance myself from. I'll stick with Ren Faires and occasionally dressing up like a pirate because I can.

BlackSwan317

I adore ren fairs :-) I go to the pa one at every given chance.  :-)

Oniya

Quote from: consortium11 on March 24, 2011, 04:58:50 AM
I understand why the guy had to scream it (but 7 times... really...). It's the having to throw something when he does it, especially when it unintentionally hits one of his comrades. As a standard rule I'd imagine that when something in a supposedly deep combat scene makes the onlookers laugh out loud you should probably rethink your system...

Well, having to throw something when you call your spell ensures that you define your target.  It's no different from waving the big padded swords around to hit the right people.

And who hasn't been in a tabletop party where someone called 'Fireball' in a 10' corridor?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

consortium11

Quote from: Oniya on March 24, 2011, 11:32:41 AM
Well, having to throw something when you call your spell ensures that you define your target.  It's no different from waving the big padded swords around to hit the right people.

And who hasn't been in a tabletop party where someone called 'Fireball' in a 10' corridor?

Wouldn't shouting "lightning bolt troll... lighting bolt guard on left... lightning bolt guard on right... lightning bolt that guy * and point* etc work better than throwing something? It defines the target without the unintentional hilarity of casting Footstomp of Doom + 4 but the tennis ball (?) hits a tree, bounces off and whack your rogue who's sneaking up on the back of the head.

And I think there's a difference between this... where a player's hand eye co-ordination fail him when he tries to throw something that is essentially a "helpful" prop and the fireball situation which is a terrible (if funny) tactical decision.

The leads on to another point with LARP'ing that I've never quite gotten my head around. How much is actually roleplaying? From the rulesets I've glanced over weapon-to-weapon combat in most of them seems to basically be a case of hitting the other player as often and quickly as possible below the head without getting hit yourself. Fair enough, that's part of the live action aspect... but in that case isn't it entirely possible that generic superbadass awesome warrior number 2... played by a physically unhealthy player with terrible reactions, fitness, hand eye co-ordination or talent for bashing things gets beaten (and beaten badly) by untrained librarian number 6 played by someone who's in great physical shape, with all those attributes and is good at bashing things?

Which seems to make it hard to role-play at least one key aspect of what makes something a role-playing game to me...

Oniya

I could point out the 'random critical failure' that's built into most systems, live or otherwise.  Lightning-bolt-guy apparently rolled a 1.  ;)

The amount of actual role-play varies dramatically from group to group.  Some groups put a great amount of stock in plot elements, with story arcs that extend from one 'adventure' to the next, over the course of the season, where others are an excuse for grown people to whack each other with reinforced pool-noodles (colloquially known as 'boffer groups') - not that there's anything wrong with that, if you need to blow off steam.  There are even some that eliminate the foam combat entirely, and use other means of determining who 'wins' a given confrontation (I've seen sealed boxes with d6s in them, RPS, and I vaguely remember one involving marked popsicle sticks).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Ebb

(Maybe a thread about larping misconceptions would be useful.)

There are also huge numbers of larpers who have nothing to do with the 'dressing up in semi-medieval costumes and having fights in the woods' (not that there's anything wrong with that). In essence larp is just roleplaying where you act out what your character is doing physically and speak in character most of the time. I've been involved in various larps that:
- had no combat
- used no random elements
- took place in the "real" world
- were played out in "normal" settings (a bar, someone's house, a hotel)

And in addition to the genres that people normally think of (D&D-ish, Vampire), there are larps set in science fiction universes, Cthulhu, modern day spies, Victorian England, superheros, suburban PTA meetings, Old West towns, etc., etc.

There are certainly drawbacks to larp as a medium for play, just as there are for tabletop, or forum play, or IM, or what have you. But there are also advantages that are harder to get in other forms, including a real sense of "being there". Which, yes, sometimes leads to some players blurring the lines a little more than one might like.

One big problem is that most larp groups are local; there's not a common world-wide infrastructure to tie people together, except for some cases like Vampire. So whereas you can talk to anyone in the world about your D&D 4e game and have not have to cover all of the basic concepts first, it's a lot harder to find common ground for the 10 person game you played last weekend that took place in the last four hours of the Titanic sinking, and which might never be played again because it was run completely off of 3x5 cards with rules that the GM made up the week before.

BlackSwan317

Well here I sit, back at work on what should be my usual night off. I love only having 1 day off in a week. Makes being a single mom fantastic.

Ahh well, enough of the bitching about work, I'll bitch about something else instead..

On to a topic that's game related and NOT ABOUT LARPING, (no offense to any larpers, I just don't wish to continue discussing it further as I have no input in the matter.) Last night (Thursday night) was my only night off for this week, so from sunday last week till thursday upcoming. Usually thursday night some friends and I participate in the table top roleplay Hunter The Gathering from White Wolfs WOD system. Well, I asked my friends if they could either write me out for the session or if we could just skip a week (which happens. We're a 7 person group, and people have lives, so we occasionally reschedule if one of the guys who is in a band has a gig or if Jenn, the other girl in the group has to work, etc, etc) as it was a very bad week at work for me, I wanted to spend my only night off with my child rather than having everyone else around distracting me from her, and I was sick with a nasty cold that made it hard for me to even talk. They got upset and through a hissy fit till I agreed to go ahead and have everyone over to game, then complained all night that they didn't want to sit near me because they were worried I would get them sick....  >:( I love my friends and I love the game... but my god... come on people, pick one or the other.

On that note, mini bitching rant out of the way.

Hy3na

Ugggh.... I'm back from the land of the physically ill... hopefully to get some posting done. >>

BlackSwan317

*brings Hy3na tea and chicken soup*

Glad your back with us in the land of the strange and inane.

Hy3na

Good to be back. And here's hoping to nothing but good times ahead of me...

BlackSwan317

*telepathically sends good times*

Lets hope so!

Mmmmm... Mac n cheese bites are good

I'm in at Zachs again, on real internet. WOOO!

Hy3na

Mmm. Mac and cheese....

Vella made giant sammiches. All is well. <3

Well... not all. But it certainly feels that way. And I have a pretty girl curled up in my lap. <3333

I'm working on a post. Really, I am. xD

BlackSwan317

Aww! :-) Yay! Glad you have mac n cheese, drugy syrup, giant sammich, and pretty sleepy girl :-) That does sound like all is as close to well as could be.

I'm on my lap top, with internet, drinking absinthe, smoking a clove, and listening to french jazz, my night is pretty damn good as well

Take your time on the post :-p you know I appreciate the writing quality that your prolonged post plotting produces.

My werewolf x got my number off his brother :-( eww.

Hy3na

>____>

Do I need to come to PA and kick someone in the groin? Because I WILL fight dirty for you.

I mean... its already dirty because most dudes won't return the cuntpunt to a girl, but you get my sentiment.

BlackSwan317

Teeeheeee "cuntpunt" *snicker snicker* I love that term!

Nah, he's being dealt with this week. I already told my peoples. I have a large neanderthal friend that really hates him and really loves me. I tipped him off to it. Plus, he already knows I'll destroy him if causes trouble in my life again.

Hy3na

YAY! RAMPAGE! =D

I'm full of lovely terms. My current favorite is "doucheburger."

Between 'doucheburger,' 'cuntnugget,' and 'slutshake,' we're one fagfry short of a very unhappymeal.

BlackSwan317

Oh my.... I just snarfed my absinthe cause I laughed to hard before I could swallow before reading. Absinthe coming out the nose... not fun... not fun.

I feel all warm and floaty though, so it's all good.

Hy3na

YES! My spittaking skills transcend through SPACE!

It used to be a goal during our anime club meetings to get Liz to spittake whatever it was she was drinking. Extra points if it was a solid object. Like pizza.

Note: lemonade and sinuses do not mesh well.

Also, next time I get into religious debate, I'm just going to say "platypus" and see what they do.  -was unaware how many fundies were on her facebook feed-

BlackSwan317

Lemonade vodka in peach tea and sinus really don't go well together.

Nice :-p and Ouch! Poor Liz!

Teehee, I like it. I'm still tryign to sell people on the mystery of the platypus around here.

Did you know in the kids section of walmart they see Parry the Platypus rain slickers? At least they do at ours.

Hy3na

Oh god.. that sounds amazing right now. Well... not the sinus part, but the lemonade vodka and peach tea. I have a feeling that I may be needing alcohol on Monday.

The locals of Muncie seem unaccepting of the platypus... think its time to move on and leave these heathen lands. xD

BlackSwan317

You know they make a sweet tea vodka now too right? It's quite good in lemonaide in the reverse of what I mentioned spittaking

I agree. Get the f outa there. They don't deserve your awesomeness

Hy3na

I've had the sweet tea vodka. Its made of dreams and fermented potato.

Its in the plans to get the hell out of dodge. I was hoping that I could stick around a little longer and earn some more savings before I jump into the wild blue yonder. Though, once we head out to Oregon, I will doubtless at some point point westward and yell "BRING ME THAT HORIZON!"

BlackSwan317

Yay! Man I wanna go swimming in the ocean now... I haven't been to the ocean in far to long. I think I was twelve last time I was there.  :-[

Hy3na

Same here. I don't think I've been out of the Midwest since I was 12... ._.

Oh god.

That was depressing. D=

BlackSwan317

To the ocean then! We shall all take a group vacation! Oh wait... crap, there's a chance you'll be even MORE land locked this summer. damn... well... someday, we should all take one great big ocean vacation at the churches expense when Ebbordianism surpasses Scientology.

Hy3na

Yaaaaaay! =DDDD

I should find a way to get my wonked-out elemental assignments to correlate to some kind of astrology. There's GIANT money in that game. Plus... I kind of want to know what my own elements are. >>

BlackSwan317

I agree. I'd offer suggestions but I know much less about astrology than I do tarrot, and I'm still pretty cloudy from the green stuff.

Hy3na

I do believe "Cloudy from the Green Stuff" might be my next band name. I'm thinking... Industrial Tribal Techno.

Astrology is all based on psychology and chance. People fall into certain archetypes, and once you figure out what those are you can use them to your advantage. The way I see it, there's not much difference when it comes to putting people into classes (rogue, mage, priest). We could combine some of those as well as some tarot references into the melting pot. And since the astrological world seems to be in an uproar about the stars changing (like they do every thousand years or so anyway) we might be at an opportunity here.

BlackSwan317

*claps* I approve! I've been helping zach with vocals for his techno project. We call our group "The Speed of Dark" *nod nod* little does he know I got the idea from the back of a hooters wet nap. This one had the question "so what is the speed of dark?" On it, and it resonated with me for some reason. Oh the places we find inspiration. :-P

I agree. This does seem to be an oppetune time. I may have to research this though more now. :-P

Hy3na

Muahahah! My job is always to make you work harder! MUAHAHAHAHA!

All the people in my house are pretty set in their zodiac beliefs. (Help me: I'm a fire in an apartment full of waters.) Between them, I'm sure I can coax some kind of inner workings of the zodiac into it. But really, all I should have to do is assign a month with a symbol, and then that symbol with an elemental alignment. From there, my brain just does all the work. When its working properly.

Honestly, most of my inspirations come from typos... >>

BlackSwan317

That does sound quite enthralling :-) you shall have to let me know what you come up with. *nod nod*

So, I got shey an inflatable trampoline, and she hasn't come out of it for the last 2 hours. It's taking up my entire living room too. Oh my, what have I gotten myself into?

Hy3na

...oh my. What HAVE you gotten into? xD

That's one of those things my parents would never EVER let us have. It was just a bad idea for everyone involved. xD

BlackSwan317

Omg she loves it. Lol. It's got huge inflatable sides to it, so I bought it under the thought of "it's safer than her jumping on the couch, which she does every time my back is turned. And it seems to have wore her out. She definitely crawled out of it about 10 minutes ago curled up on my lap with her blanket. By the time I got her into her pj's and laid her down her eyes were barely open. Sleepy babe :-) I think I may grow to love this thing.

gaggedLouise

I used to do do college radio, and one summer night at an end-of-term party the head of the station was given just that: an inflatable trampoline, with pumpable "fences" on the sides, just like the one your friend got. He loved it, and as far as I know it's still with him. ;)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

BlackSwan317

Aww that's awesome :-p

Shey is actually my daughter, but I guess that makes her my friend too :-p

Ho hum. Another night at work.

Hy3na

If it makes the kid sleep faster and it isn't a teaspoon of nyquil, then I'm not about to doubt the magic of the inflatable trampoline.

BlackSwan317

*nods* Indeed

Yay! Training a new girl tonight that's NOT MAKING ME WANT TO KILL MYSELF! WOOOOOT! And she's actually decent to talk to!

Hy3na

Oh thank GOD! I was honestly worried that you wouldn't find someone else willing to work third shift that wasn't out of their mind. I mean... if the folk like us, who usually work thirds, is any indication... additionally the variety that I work with personally... >>

BlackSwan317

You and me both! I think this shift makes you crazier if you aren't already comfortable in your questionable sanity

Hy3na

Well, now I know that I CAN work third shift. But I also know that I can't work at Walmart.

BlackSwan317

I used to love working third shift till the little one came, and I'm sure I can be fine with it again once she's in day care so I can actually get consistent sleep during the day without having to rely on the x husband for it. No one should have to work at walmart. *shutters*

Hy3na

Unfortunately, I had to. But then I realized that I had to quit because that strain of flu hit me harder than anyone. Hallucinations and muscle spasms are usually a sign of a VERY weak immune system. And  that would have been fixed if they would CHANGE THE GODDAMN FILTER.

-twitch-

Hy3na

I can to this conclusion today:

Tall man with a hooked nose and horrible posture?

Tattoo on his left arm indicating membership of a group of hoodlums?

Feisty little red-head with a tendency to look past appearances and stick up for the little guy?

If I draw these two as canon... I could easily be mistaken for Snape/Lily fanfiction.

BlackSwan317

Hy3na

Lily Evans. Harry Potter's dead mom. Vella is obsessed with the series. ^^;;

BlackSwan317

Ahhh! Right! Gotcha ^_^

Haha that is rather funny honestly

Oniya

Depends - it could be read as Snape/Hermione if there's any sort of age difference (and I've seen such fanfiction running around).

Hy3na

If we're looking past the fact that Lixi is immortal and Martin is in his late 20's... I wouldn't really say there's much of an age difference.

Also, Snape/Hermione can be very well written. But like everything in the HP universe,  it takes a considerable amount of digging.

BlackSwan317

I may be a bit frightened by the concept of the latter.

Hy3na

Usually they age Hermione up to her mid-twenties. The good ones do, anyway. >>

Oniya

*nods*  I'd actually extrapolate it from the HP universe to fanfic in general:  There is well-written stuff out there, but you really have to dig for it.

Hy3na

Occasionally you have a fandom that isn't 98% crap. Hetalia seems to have a fairly intelligent fanbase, as does the new Sherlock Holmes miniseries. Most of the fanfiction seems to be old enough to know how to make a proper historical reference.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Hy3na on March 31, 2011, 07:18:19 PM
Occasionally you have a fandom that isn't 98% crap. Hetalia seems to have a fairly intelligent fanbase, as does the new Sherlock Holmes miniseries. Most of the fanfiction seems to be old enough to know how to make a proper historical reference.

I loved Sherlock, it was hands down the best crime tv series I've seen for some time. Wonderful, stylish scripts, very good acting and the photography and sets, though 21st century, seamlessly fit into Conan Doyle's universe (the slightly washed-out images, echoing old sepia photos, unobtrusively helped make you feel the series was close to "old London"). Technically it's fanfic, but the resources they could put into it were far removed from normal fanfic productions.

Oniya

I'll confess a certain fangirlish thrill when they start getting ambiguous about Holmes's sexuality - especially with such a vibrant Holmes.

Hy3na

ADmittedly, I've only seen a bit of the series over my fiance's shoulder. But what I saw was fantastic. I like how they did a good job of showing that he's not this amazing charismatic genius that's good at everything. He really is kind of a jerk. That's something that I've been noticing in TV lately: a tendency towards the anti-hero. =D

I could have that wrong, though. I might be using the wrong term. I haven't eaten anything substantial yet and its past 7 pm... >>

Oniya

Completely socially inept.  There's this bit where he comments on the fact that the girl at the M.E.'s office has put on makeup, that he doesn't like it, and (later on), that she's taken it off.  Never once does it seem to occur to him that she's trying to make herself attractive to him.

Hy3na

I'm thinking of a particular scene where he's speculating that (probably the same girl's) new beau is gay, speaking with her on the evidence that supports his theory. He just seemed very proud of himself for pissing her off. xD

Oniya

If it was House, I would agree with you completely.   ;D   I mean, I might be armchair psychoanalyzing here, but they seem to be portraying Holmes as a high-functioning savant (especially with the foot-chase scene in the first episode) with an ego.  In that situation, he would be very proud of deducing that the new beau was gay, and putting forth all the clues that no one else could have seen but him - all the while completely oblivious of the effect it's having on anyone around him. 

Hy3na

Well, like I said, I was only glancing over my fiance's shoulder so I didn't get the extent of how they were portraying him. That's just what it seemed like to me. I think I was busy working on pages that day, so a lot of my attention went straight out the window.

OMG! HY3NA HAS A SATURDAY NIGHT OFF? WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?

BlackSwan317

Wait... saturday night off?

Sorry I just don't know what to say on much fan fic, sadly I'm out of the loop on it :-( I swear I'm not trying to be antisocial! I really have been reading and keeping up with this thread, just didn't know what to say. I love you all, I promise

Hy3na

xDD

I'm honestly not much on fanfiction, either. I only read things that are suggested to me, whether for their quality or lack thereof. So the things that get suggested to me are either the REALLY REALLY GOOD or the horribly, detestably bad. Most of the bad is Yu-Gi-Oh and Harry Potter. Most of the good is Hetalia and Sherlock. Its more of a genre study for me.

Yes! I had tonight off and was completely unaware. o_o

BlackSwan317

I've just never really known that many people that are into the fanfic stuff so never had anyone recommend it. If you ever come across anything you think I'd be particularly into feel free to recommend it, I'm always looking to read anything new.

Wooo! *does a happy dance for surprise night off*

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on April 02, 2011, 07:00:24 PM
Completely socially inept.  There's this bit where he comments on the fact that the girl at the M.E.'s office has put on makeup, that he doesn't like it, and (later on), that she's taken it off.  Never once does it seem to occur to him that she's trying to make herself attractive to him.

Yes, Sherlock in that incarnation is a bit of a nerd: when he's asking Watson - out of the blue, in the same scene as the first lipstick line - "Afghanistan or Iraq?" and then proceeds to explain how he arrived at the conclusion that the doctor must have been at the frontline in one of those places, it never strikes him that he might put Watson off badly, might come across as much too nosey. I'm not sure how much of a nerd he is in the original stories but it's a shade one can bring out; he's very sure of his intelligence of course. Just like Jules Verne, Conan Doyle had a, most of the time, unshakeable belief in science and rational thinking, so Holmes was supposed to be a modern guy.

Oniya

As I recall, the original meeting in Conan Doyle's work went much the same way, with different wars, and no 'psychosomatic' component.  There are also scenes in the original where he makes some deduction based on cigar ashes.  Anyone who writes a treatise on the comparison of various cigar ashes has got to be a nerd to some degree.

gaggedLouise

I love the scene in one of Doyle's stories where Holmes has got a paper (a  letter, a draft of a will or something) that's been found on the corpse of a man who died and which is almost illegible, but the degree of dizziness in the writing is shifting over the course of the text, and he deduces that it was written on the train into London and finds out exactly what train and what path by postulating that the worst bits were written at times when the train was passing through a few shunts (the track shunts of those days were not smooth)  or  a tunnel.  :D

Hy3na

BlackSwan317

*huggles* I sorry  :-( What's wrong?

Hy3na

The smell of potbutter coming through the door, the smell of potsmoke coming through the window... the feeling that I probably should have eaten more today and not wanting to brave the outside world for a glass of water...

BlackSwan317

Uhk... that does sound shitty. You can't just yell out and ask one of them to bring you a glass of water?

Hy3na

They're all asleep now, I think. Except for Vella, who is watching the TV VERY LOUDLY. -twitch-

Mostly I'm just being lazy. xD

BlackSwan317

Hey Laziness isn't ALL bad :-p

Still, the smell of that butter would be enough to keep me in hiding too.

Hy3na

The smell has died down a bit. The boys made safe brownies and it covered the stench.

BlackSwan317

Well that's good at least. I always hated the smell of those cooking in particular because you not only have to put up with the smell of that stuff, but you have to get that almost sickeningly sweet afternote from the normal parts cooking in around it.

Hy3na

She has taken it off the stove. And now it smells like our apartment is enveloped in one big pot plant...

BlackSwan317

Oh joy of joys...

Do you have to go to work tonight smelling of it?

Hy3na

No one asked questions. They kind of assume that I'm into drugs anyways because I occasionally look strung-out. (If I've been working with ink, my allergies come out to play and I look like I spent the night in a prison cell). And they can't really fire you (not that it matters right now) unless they find you in possession. Danny comes to work high all the time and they're just like... eh.

She's done making the butter, so now I'm feeling a lot better. I'm wondering if maybe I have an allergy...

BlackSwan317

I think it could be possible. Plenty of people have allergies to random flora, I don't see why it would be a stretch to imagine you being allergic to that.

Oniya

Which begs the next question:  What would your roommates do if you were?   :-\

Hy3na

They would continue smoking pot from sundown to sundown. Because they don't really give a crap about the crazy chick that paid their rent for two months and is owed more than one grand in general expenses through the past year. I'm a convenience in that I keep them from being homeless. I'm an inconvenience to them in that I'm kind of a prude.

Oniya

*wrinkles nose*  And the benefit to you is...?

Hy3na

Long story. There was a falling out between some of our friends and I was desperate for someone to live with. Both me and my girlfriend couldn't afford an apartment by ourselves because at that time I had just been fired from my tech support job and she didn't have any kind of employment. He and his boyfriend were looking for a place to live as well, and after the falling out, Vella also was out of luck for the place that she'd signed with. We figured that with him and his boy in one room, me and my girl in another room, and Vella all by herself, we could find a three-bedroom for cheap and we got this place for $275/mo. This appealed to my inner cheapskate.

But right now, the only benefit of living with him is that he pays some of the rent. I'm moving in a month anyhow. >>

BlackSwan317

So... Huzzah for that situation being kinda semi resolved now, yes?