Graphics Card not working...

Started by Deamonbane, January 12, 2016, 06:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deamonbane

So a couple of weeks ago, I was working on the PC, gaming and having some fun killing monsters and stuff, when all of a sudden everything freezes and I'm forced to hard reboot. This had never happened to my laptop, it wasn't even a BSOD, just freeze. Anyways, I restart, and I go back to the game to find everything is really, really slow. I alter the settings, I lower everything down to the barest of minimums and no dice. I check on the graphics driver and it has some updates, so I downloads them and lo-and-behold, it won't install. That is, it installs and immediately tells me to restart the PC, I do and I come to see it not installed for some reason. Anyways, I travel over to the device manager to see what the trouble is and this is what I find:

I check on properties and it says 'Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)'

I reinstalled the device and checked on all the ways to fix it, even performing a clean install of windows and no dice. I looked up the possible causes on the trusty interwebs, and I was told that it might be a hardware problem, which falls smack outside of my area of expertise. I've been relying on the fun loving Intel HD 4000 that's part of the motherboard ever since.

The point of this post is if anyone has any ideas as to how to fix this (Software or hardware-wise), I would really appreciate the assistance. I want to check all options before going through the effort of taking it to a shop, which I can't afford atm.

Thanks for reading!
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

AmberStarfire

You could try going into the BIOS and setting it to load the graphics card first. Then you might be able to get it to load the Nvidia card first.

If there's an Nvidia control panel, it might also have settings on there that would help you get it going.

Make sure you have the newest drivers for your card as well (and if you're using Windows 10, that work with it).

Deamonbane

The control panel won't open. I've... really tried everything on that front. It just won't.

I'll try the BIOS though...*will return*
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

AmberStarfire

I don't know if it will work but it might.

Oberon

A typical problem that might cause this is the solder joints of the GPU. These chips are connected to the main board using little balls of solder. If they haven't been soldered properly then the stresses due to thermal expansion can in time cause a bad connection. Often these failures show up after intense use where the chip ran hot. I've had this problem on a Macbook pro. Some macbook models have been notorious for suffering from this. I'm sure though this type of defect is not limited to Apple hardware. If this is what's happening in your case then the only fix is to have the GPU chip re-soldered. There are specialty shops that can do this, they often advertise their services on eBay. Search for "gpu repair" to find them. I used one in the UK to get my laptop repaired, but you might be able to find one closer to home.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.
It is the source of all true art and science.
A. Einstein

Galactic Druid

The 745 is one of those built-in cards, isn't it? If that's the case, you might be able to bypass the problem with a new GPU, since that will take priority as your display adapter. Any chance you have a free PCI and and old GPU you could use for a test?
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!