News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Interest Check: Space Combat role play [UN]

Started by Inkidu, July 20, 2008, 03:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

The point behind carriers is one. These aren't normal carriers either. Each is a juggernaut it has fighters, bombers, guns, cannons the whole shebang. Cruisers are also their just NPC. Battleships are obsolete like in today's military. Think about it today. We use cruisers, destroyers and carriers. And carriers are considered the muscle to any naval fleet.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

HairyHeretic

I suppose it depends on what kind of technology you're going to use. I probably have a different image in mind to you when we're discussing carriers. To mind my the carrier is mainly a platform for the strike craft. It will have a fair ammount of defenses, but its offensive power is it's strike groups, hence not much in the way of big guns itself. Without the carrier to provide repair and refit, the strike craft are a one shot weapon, and if something gets in range to damage the carriers themselves, that reduces the overall effectiveness of the strike groups .. loss of supplies, crew, and so forth.

Have you read any of the Honor Harrington novels? Plenty of space warfare there, with ships ranging from not quite fighters up to superdreadnoughts, and the LACs (Light Attack Craft .. the not quite fighters) being relatively useless for much of the series, with the wall of battle being dreadnoughts and superdreadnoughts. Battleships are useful to deter cruiser raiding fleets, since the lighter craft can generally outrun the heavier, it makes cruisers and battlecruisers well suited to deep raids on the enemy infrastructure and commerce.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Inkidu

I see you're point but look. A X-Wing took out the Death Star. In space it's not about big ships it's about speed. Yeah some big ships trade fire to gnaw at each others shields but only fighters can shoot down other fighters. Plus bombers do more damage because they can get in and drop with precision. I'm not saying other ships are bad or unnecessary, I'm saying that carriers are the main punch (And focus of the RP) all other craft play a support role. (There's no real planet side action. It's space combat after all.)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

HairyHeretic

I understand what you're saying, and it is of course your game, so the focus is wherever you want it to be. The space combat novels I've enjoyed have simply had a different focus, and one I enjoyed, so that probably tends to colour my own thoughts on what a space combat game should have.

At the end of the day, it's your game, so you're in charge.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on July 21, 2008, 07:21:21 PM
I understand what you're saying, and it is of course your game, so the focus is wherever you want it to be. The space combat novels I've enjoyed have simply had a different focus, and one I enjoyed, so that probably tends to colour my own thoughts on what a space combat game should have.

At the end of the day, it's your game, so you're in charge.
Are you from England.

JadeCore

Quote from: Inkedu on July 21, 2008, 06:11:50 PM
Intrigued in what? If I may be so bold as to ask. I'm... still trying to decide a few things and others' feedback is appreciated.

In general. Once I know a bit more about the setting and specific plot, I can say more.

Nazora

I see both your points. I always thought the Death Star was kind of corny anyway. Something like that would cost the entire economic output of three star systems for a number of years, so how could the Empire even afford to build something like that.

All I can think is that it can destroy a planet, so what good is the destroyed planet to any one. It's like the nuke of space, when all the planets are destroyed where do you live then?

I think massive dreadnaughts would be an unnecessary and showy expense and would be be over taken by lighter strike craft if not protected by an armada of strike or defense craft themselves. The only role I see for a huge gun ship would have would be heavy artillery and it would have to be heavily protected. ((Turrets: limited range and can't manuever around the ship, once a sides turret's are out the ship is completely exposed. Not to mention if you're dealing with any type of energy the more power you need for heavy weaponry the more useless turrets become as power is drained.))

I think when we actually get to the age of space combat it will be very complex!  :-X

Anyhow, since I talked so much here I really want a role here no matter what shape this game takes.
All about what I like!

Info: I find that 98% of the time my interest in a story outlasts that of the other party. If you are no longer interested in continuing a story, please let me know promptly so I'm not checking the thread.  Thank you.

Status: Posting a bit slowly due to chaotic schedule, bear with me please.

Inkidu

Quote from: Nazora on July 21, 2008, 07:49:08 PM
I see both your points. I always thought the Death Star was kind of corny anyway. Something like that would cost the entire economic output of three star systems for a number of years, so how could the Empire even afford to build something like that.

All I can think is that it can destroy a planet, so what good is the destroyed planet to any one. It's like the nuke of space, when all the planets are destroyed where do you live then?

I think massive dreadnaughts would be an unnecessary and showy expense and would be be over taken by lighter strike craft if not protected by an armada of strike or defense craft themselves. The only role I see for a huge gun ship would have would be heavy artillery and it would have to be heavily protected. ((Turrets: limited range and can't manuever around the ship, once a sides turret's are out the ship is completely exposed. Not to mention if you're dealing with any type of energy the more power you need for heavy weaponry the more useless turrets become as power is drained.))

I think when we actually get to the age of space combat it will be very complex!  :-X

Anyhow, since I talked so much here I really want a role here no matter what shape this game takes.
Well the point of the Death Star isn't the actual power it's the threat of said power. Anyway economy is a nonfactor when you own the whole galaxy which would have many star systems in it anyway. And the only real point to having any big craft would be that a show of force. But if you have a carrier that never enters atmosphere, and can self-broadcast. Then it can be as big as it wants to be.

Nazora

What is self broadcast, is that like a warp function?
All about what I like!

Info: I find that 98% of the time my interest in a story outlasts that of the other party. If you are no longer interested in continuing a story, please let me know promptly so I'm not checking the thread.  Thank you.

Inkidu

Helion-Brodcasting is in layman's terms the warp function. It doesn't actually warp but most ships have to travel to Helion-Relays to go anywhere and there's this whole system of relays and not all can go directly to one place but some can and they all go back to Mars. For the humans.

The Tutgarians have something else but same principles apply.

In short terms, Helion is super refined hydrogen. When hit with a ionic charge creates a bubble around the ship that makes it move in a slip stream fashion straight line to the destination. Self-Broadcasting works on the principle but doesn't need the station.

Nazora

But still a method for faster than light speed travel that avoids the time shifting consequences of light or near light speed travel.
All about what I like!

Inkidu

Helion allows for faster than light travel because the bubble protects from the non-existent effect. And it can go through objects because the ship becomes Helion waves able to pass through any medium.

Inkidu

Anyway what I need is captains and fighters. At least four for the Avali human side and we can start. If someone wishes to captain the Tutgarian carier they're going to need a few fighters.

Nazora

I would like to Captain a Carrier, but will accept a a role as a fighter pilot if you find someone more suitable for the task.

*Raises hand* Pick me! Pick Me!
All about what I like!

Inkidu

Okay I'll probably post profile info tomorrow. I'm playing a fighter so I'll need a couple more.  Counted myself in that count. You're human right?

Nazora

All about what I like!

Inkidu

Well you are Captain of the H.A.S. Morning Star.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on July 22, 2008, 02:43:45 AM
Ireland actually, but close enough. Why?
Because in the states we don't use British variants. You spell it colour, I spell it color. Dead give away. Just curious nothing really.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

HairyHeretic

I think I'll pass. I think we just see things too differently .. we'd end up butting heads on technical stuff :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Nazora

Quote from: Inkedu on July 21, 2008, 08:50:14 PM
Okay I'll probably post profile info tomorrow. I'm playing a fighter so I'll need a couple more.  Counted myself in that count. You're human right?

I'll be at your service whenever you are ready, but right now its seems you only have two players. Still, I'll help out getting it started if you can't find more players right away, but that is up to you.
All about what I like!

Inkidu

If you know people interested in this kind of thing it would help or you can just scream alien sex if you don't.  ;D

Inkidu

Instead of doing different star systems I'll just keep the role play threads to the carriers. It will take up less space than the star system idea. Plus destinations will be limitless. Captains just have to keep an eye out for movement orders from the Joint Chiefs (Empire et cetera.)