"a thief, a reaver, a slayer" Conan-RP [Up to NC, but not focussing on NC]

Started by Marlow, April 30, 2010, 11:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlow

So yea, this is just a general interest check, and I'd limit the group to four including me. I grew up reading REH's stories, and love Conan and his world. The world is so dark, ancient, and so rich that it's simply impossible not to appreciate the work Howard put into creating a living, breathing Hyboria.

So, anyway, on to the idea. I think it would be good to have it set shortly after the Hour of the Dragon, where Conan is King of Aquilonia and all of Howard's other stories have happened, and we've got a blank slate to work with. One of the great things about Conan stories are the stories have no major impact on the world. In the Tower of the Elephant, for example, Conan infiltrates the gleaming Tower of the Elephant, defeats its traps, and saves an ancient extra-solar being, and defeats the evil sorcerer (albeit indirectly). Yet, really, that doesn't have a major impact on the world. As such, we can do many great things without changing Hyboria greatly.

My idea is that a small group of adventurers (us) travel the lands, slaying, stealing, and generally getting in to trouble for our own gains. Sex would be a part of it, of course. You can't have a Conan story without bar wenches and lusty whores, but plot and conflict would be of equal merit.

Beyond that, it's all up in the air. That being said, I'll post some possible character ideas for your benefit:

- The brash barbarian youth still getting used to the 'civilized' world.
- The conniving sorceress who uses her charms to control and get what she desires.
- The amateur thief dreaming of glory among the City of Thieves.
- The whore with a sharp tongue and sharper blade trying to build a better life for herself.
- and so on and so forth

Anybody interested?
I DO NOT CARE ABOUT OOC GENDER!!! NONE OF MY IDEA THREADS ARE FIRST-COME FIRST-SERVE!!!

Arion

Definitely interested;  dibs on the barbar, if no one else has called him yet.  What kind, if any, character shhet do you need?
"The flesh surrenders itself.  Eternity takes back its own.  Our bodies stirred these waters briefly, danced with a certain intoxication before the love of life and self, dealt with a few strange ideas, then submitted to the instruments of Time.  What can we say of this?  I occurred.  I am not... yet, I occurred."     -Frank Herbert

"I've rambled with the worst of them, fell in love with a harlequin, saw the darkest hearts of men, and I saw my self staring back again, and I saw my self staring back again."    -Bartholomew, The Silent Comedy; If you do not think that this is one of the greatest songs ever written... You.  Are.  Wrong.

<a href="https://www.f-list.net/c/arion99">My F-List

Marlow

Quote from: Arion on April 30, 2010, 11:42:53 AM
Definitely interested;  dibs on the barbar, if no one else has called him yet.  What kind, if any, character shhet do you need?
I'm assuming you mean barbarian?

How versed are you in the Conan-mythos? I'm looking for people with a pretty good handle on the Howard stories (although the Jordan or de Camp stories also serve fine to familiarize yourself with the setting, and the most recent Dark Horse comics) for this RP.

As for the character sheet, the usual; Name, Age, Race/Nationality, Physical Description (picture and/or written description), Personality,  and brief History.

Don't make a character yet, though, as I'm still waiting to see who else is interested before I finalize the group.
I DO NOT CARE ABOUT OOC GENDER!!! NONE OF MY IDEA THREADS ARE FIRST-COME FIRST-SERVE!!!

Arion

Well, does having the entire works of REH, plus about fifty of the new Conan novels count as well-versed?  lol  I don't like the newer, non-Howard Conan material, but I'm a huge fan of the original stuff.  And yeah, barbar=barbarian.

Also have some of the Mongoose Publishing rpg books, which draw almost exclusively from the original material.

I'll hold off on posting a character, but I've already got ideas bouncing around.
"The flesh surrenders itself.  Eternity takes back its own.  Our bodies stirred these waters briefly, danced with a certain intoxication before the love of life and self, dealt with a few strange ideas, then submitted to the instruments of Time.  What can we say of this?  I occurred.  I am not... yet, I occurred."     -Frank Herbert

"I've rambled with the worst of them, fell in love with a harlequin, saw the darkest hearts of men, and I saw my self staring back again, and I saw my self staring back again."    -Bartholomew, The Silent Comedy; If you do not think that this is one of the greatest songs ever written... You.  Are.  Wrong.

Marlow

Quote from: Arion on April 30, 2010, 12:00:54 PM
Well, does having the entire works of REH, plus about fifty of the new Conan novels count as well-versed?  lol  I don't like the newer, non-Howard Conan material, but I'm a huge fan of the original stuff.  And yeah, barbar=barbarian.

Also have some of the Mongoose Publishing rpg books, which draw almost exclusively from the original material.

I'll hold off on posting a character, but I've already got ideas bouncing around.
Ah, very good.

The Jordan stories are pretty good, and the Dark Horse Conan stories are really good, especially the ones based on original Howard stories. The rest I don't care about, either.

I have all the Mongoose PDFs, and they're really good for setting info.

I'm still undecided on my character, to be honest.

Arion

Well, you've got the barbar, whore, thief, and sorceress;  other characters could be an arrogant noble, a turanian outlaw, settite priest, aesir adventurer, pict wanderer, etc etc.  So many choices.

Marlow

Quote from: Arion on April 30, 2010, 12:39:14 PM
Well, you've got the barbar, whore, thief, and sorceress;  other characters could be an arrogant noble, a turanian outlaw, settite priest, aesir adventurer, pict wanderer, etc etc.  So many choices.
Too many choices, one might say. :P

Anyway, yea, I'm thinking a Zamoran thief or Gunderman mercenary.

Marlow

Quote from: sinoraa on April 30, 2010, 02:23:29 PM
Im interested in the conniving sorceress.
Cool. Same question to Arion: How versed are you in the Conan-mythos?

Muse

I don't think I'm quite as versed as the others, though I'm working on it.  ^_^;; 

May I offer a Brythunian wise woman's apprentice captured by slavers and sold/stolen by a member of the group?  I always saw her as named Natala though I think that's more an Aquelonian name. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Marlow

Quote from: Muse on April 30, 2010, 02:42:54 PM
I don't think I'm quite as versed as the others, though I'm working on it.  ^_^;; 

May I offer a Brythunian wise woman's apprentice captured by slavers and sold/stolen by a member of the group?  I always saw her as named Natala though I think that's more an Aquelonian name.
lol, last time I proposed this idea, when it didn't get off the ground (like... a year ago or something), you seemed versed enough, and as I recal you had the mongoose books.

I also recal you having the same character... >.>

Marlow

Quote from: sinoraa on April 30, 2010, 03:03:48 PM
Seen the movies
Strike all knowledge of those from your mind, right now, then.

As for the other two, that should be sufficient.

Arion

I don't know, the first movie was at least close to the feel of it... a little... hey, at least is wasn't the second movie!

Marlow

Quote from: Arion on April 30, 2010, 03:58:31 PM
I don't know, the first movie was at least close to the feel of it... a little... hey, at least is wasn't the second movie!
They got the feel of it, but they basically didn't use any of Howard's stories to craft a plot, and they depicted Conan as a drunken bafoon, when he was rarely ever drunk in the stories and was an incredible tactician.

I didn't like them. I'm looking forward to the new movie, though.

Muse

They're doing a new movie?  Neat. 

I do indeed have the mongoose books, and am still trying to read more of the originals before writing a story of my own. 

The charecter I keep proposing is from said story, which is why I'm into her.  ^_^;; 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Marlow

Well, seems like this might be it.

Why don't you all post a little character sketch and we'll go from there.

playfullchick76

I've only seen the Conan movies, so I hope thats acceptable. I  could play the whore with a sharp tongue and sharper blade, unless you find someone better for that role.

Arion

Name:  Morne
Race/Nationality: Aesir
Personality: Loud and vulgar, Morne constantly sneers at the "soft southerners" he encounters.  He's a born lech, and rarely passes up a chance to bed a lovely woman.  Overly protective of his honor, Morna tends to get into trouble easily.
History:  Hailing from the wintry lands of Asgard, Morne was banished from his homeland for some unforgivable crime, one which he speaks to no one about.  Before that, he was an up-and-coming member of the Fjoldrmir clan, praised for his strength and skill at arms.  He participated in many battles against the Vanir, and once even led an ill-fated into Cimmeria, where out of fifty youths, only he and three others returned.  Since his banishment he's made his way south, traversing Hyperborea, Brythunia, and Nemedia to arrive in Aquilonia seeking work as a mercenary.  He plans on heading for the Pictish border if all else fails...

Muse

Natala the Brythunisn

A platinum blonde shepardess of 16 tender years...

At age nine, a wise woman known too all as grnny stargazerdescended from her muntain top too to take natala as an aprenice. She served granny as a gardener and assistant in her asroogical research, learning the ways of nigh msgvcl medeine, animl comunication, nd divinstion.

Natala is a pragmatic girl who tries to go with the flow of fate too take control of the parts of her life that are most important too her.  She will seem purely submisive at first, but in time her personal agenda's  will resolve themseves and her trength of harecter show through. 

If permited a crosier and a sling, she is not helpless in battle, though most useful normaly be calling an animal too aid. 

playfullchick76

As ive put in before, I havnt seen the comics or remember the names of places in the two movies, but i do have a basic background at least for my character.

Name- alanna

Age-20
Appearance- long flowing dark hair, blue eyes, a body that gets mens attention and keeps it.

History- she would have never known her dad. Her mother would have also been a whore, and taught her daughter the same trade.She would have learned to protect herself with blades after her mother was killed by a client.

Just a basic one for now, I'll put in more as it comes to me, but i do take suggestions from those that know this verse well.

sinoraa

Name:  Sinoraa
Race/Nationality: Stygia
Personality: Cunning, proud, calm and deceptive. While Sinoraa will often give the illusion of good will, Sinoraa rarely cares about anyone, but herself.
History: (I'll leave this open, as she aint the kind of character to be found wandering the streets, im planning to adjust her into the story.)

Marlow

Just FYI sinoraa, she'd most likely be of Royal/High Noble stock, as those are the only Stygians who have fair-skin and practice sorcery (iirc). Most Stygians are dusky-skinned. The lowest rung of Stygian are a mix of Kushite, Shemite, Hyborian, and Stygian blood, though, so that could also explain her fair-skin.

And playfullchick, this isn't the RP for you. You really need to be more familiar with the series than having just seen the movies. Appologies, but there's no way to get around it.

sinoraa

Quote from: Marlow on May 03, 2010, 06:20:43 PM
Just FYI sinoraa, she'd most likely be of Royal/High Noble stock, as those are the only Stygians who have fair-skin and practice sorcery (iirc). Most Stygians are dusky-skinned. The lowest rung of Stygian are a mix of Kushite, Shemite, Hyborian, and Stygian blood, though, so that could also explain her fair-skin
In AoC i plaid a half aquilonian, demonologist, which was kinda the angle i wanted to take here.

Marlow

Quote from: sinoraa on May 04, 2010, 12:41:56 AM
In AoC i plaid a half aquilonian, demonologist, which was kinda the angle i wanted to take here.
Works for me.

sinoraa

Back there (and probably here aswell.) I plaid that she was the daughter of a, noble Stygian. While she wasn't thrown out or anything like that, she was more treated like a object, due to her aquilonian heritage. While she got privileges such as fine clothes,food, and education. She was not allowed to go outside, or go outside her room, while her father had visitors, and of course, if she preformed any task below his expectations, she'd be severely punished. Perhaps she could be the daughter of someone their trying to rob/kill, and she offers her help, in exchange for their protection, out in the world?

playfullchick76