Interest Check: DnD 3.5, Small Group, Classic Boxed Sets

Started by National Acrobat, April 22, 2010, 01:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

National Acrobat

Gauging Interest for a potential game using DnD 3.5 Rules, and one of three Classic Boxed Sets. Up front, I would say that at most, I'd probably want a small group of no more than 3 players, as each of these sets also has several NPCs that would round things off, and I've come to the conclusion that a large group can be a bit much to manage online. My RL Gaming Group has 8 Players and that's stretching it some nights.

I have The Night Below, Return to the Tomb of Horrors and The Rod of Seven Parts, all of which I've played, but never gotten a game to get through. They are large campaigns, that run from start to finish, and are all in the classic, old-school TSR style, which of course would be supplemented with Role Playing, General Sexiness and some added-plots. I haven't decided if I'd run any of them yet, but I am gauging interest.

I would be using 3.5 Rules, and the Night Below and Rod of Seven Parts would be set in Greyhawk, the Night Below in the Forgotten Realms.

If interested, let me know. After that, it would be a matter of deciding what to work with, and what Players to take.

Domw3rds Venom

I would be interested in joining the campaign! I have a lot of experience playing, and want just a little more DnD in addition to my weekly group that I run with.

PhantomPistoleer

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

MingMing

Did you say that the Night Below would be set in Greyhawk ...or Greyhawk?  :-)

I'm very much wanting to play Night Below.  It's my favorite of the classic box sets.
“I have not seen one who loves virtue as he loves sex”- Confucius

(If I don't know you, haven't communicated with you in PM's or through the Elliquiy Forums, don't just IM me out of the blue.  I will just close the window & ignore you.  Take the trouble to actually send me a greeting & talk with me in Elliquiy first!)

National Acrobat

Quote from: MingMing on April 22, 2010, 05:18:06 PM
Did you say that the Night Below would be set in Greyhawk ...or Greyhawk?  :-)

I'm very much wanting to play Night Below.  It's my favorite of the classic box sets.

Heh, it fit's perfectly in the Realms, there is even a section of the Realms that has the same forest and river in it, which I suspect, was done on purpose.

Still, I could make the Night Below work in Greyhawk, probably in the Sheldomar Valley.

Elven Sex Goddess

I am interested in this.   Thinking of a elven ranger (archer path).   

At what level are we going to start at 1st or ?   Regardless of level, how are you doing character creation, standard or higher point buy or dice?   As far as feats and such, is there any books not going to allow.       

National Acrobat

The levels vary.

Night Below would be first level, the Return to the Tomb would be somewhere around twelfth, and the Rod of Seven Parts would be around fifth.

I am more inclined to do the Night Below, as I like starting at the lower levels and building up.

Since it's Greyhawk, I'd be pretty wide open for source material, save that which is specifically designed for other settings (Eberron, Forgotten Realms, etc) simply because Greyhawk has a flavor that is less wondrous than some of the others.

Kate

im interested but it sounds like you have too many players already would 5 be too mcuh?

National Acrobat

Five probably would be, although I haven't decided anything yet. I'll make a decision in a few days.

Elven Sex Goddess

Quote from: National Acrobat on April 23, 2010, 08:00:21 AM
The levels vary.

Night Below would be first level, the Return to the Tomb would be somewhere around twelfth, and the Rod of Seven Parts would be around fifth.

I am more inclined to do the Night Below, as I like starting at the lower levels and building up.

Since it's Greyhawk, I'd be pretty wide open for source material, save that which is specifically designed for other settings (Eberron, Forgotten Realms, etc) simply because Greyhawk has a flavor that is less wondrous than some of the others.

1st level then, what about the point buy or dice?

National Acrobat

Most likely point-buy, to ensure decent stats. The campaigns are pretty rough. 32 points.

PhantomPistoleer

I'm still interested in this, but I'm curious as to what the character creation guidelines will be.

We've established point buy, but what of hit points, gold, available sources, etc.?  I'm leaning on a wizard right now, but I'll probably change my mind if sources open up.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

National Acrobat

Well, the Night Below seems to have the most interest so far, so guidelines would be pretty basic as the Night Below starts at first level. I will be reading over parts of the campaign this weekend, and will tentatively get set to start sometime next week.

32 Point Buy
Max Hit Points, thereafter you could roll, or take 1/2 die +1 +1 con bonus per level\
Max Gold at First Level
No LA Races, No Evil
Set in Greyhawk, Starting in the Small town of Kendra.
PHB, PHB II, Complete Series, Races of Destiny, Races of Stone, Spell Compendium, Unearthed Arcana, plus other things that aren't specifically related to other Campaign Settings on a case by case basis.

Elven Sex Goddess

Great, will get to working up a character today.    Either going to go with first choice ranger or now thinking of a scout for the archer concept. 

Domw3rds Venom

When are you thinking of starting up?
I had several character possibilities floating around in my mind, and i want to try something new... Meaning I would like to round off the group for the PC's!! =D
I have usually played (most experience with) a Ranger - archer path, though it wasn't a Wizards of the Coast version. And right now I am getting my experience in being the Paladin of the group, so I'm looking to try something new... Perhaps cleric, sorcerer, rogue or druid??

Any advice or ideas?? I'm experienced for sure... Just not sure which to go with!

Any thoughts would be kick ass!!

Kate

is there any other here willing to co-dm ... there is enough players for 2 groups

Elven Sex Goddess

Will have character up tomorrow, had to fetch my complete adventurers book from friends today.     

PhantomPistoleer

Venom, Acrobat hasn't selected the three or so people who will be going into the dungeons yet.

Maybe after he's given it some thought and selected his three people, those three people can discuss class proclivities.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

National Acrobat

I'll be making decisions by the middle of the week. It's been a busy weekend, and I haven't had a chance to read up as much as I'd like. I'll let you guys know by Wednesday at the latest. More than likely I'll take four, but be warned, Night Below is pretty deadly, even with some tweaks, there is a chance of PC Death. I was a player in the campaign with my group when it came out years ago, and the group had 28 fatalities. I myself had 4 different characters by the end of the campaign.

MingMing

Assuming I've got one of the spots?

I've got three possible concepts, would like to bounce them off the rest of the group to see what works.

1) Bard, back-up fighter as well as the knowledge and diplomacy resource.
2) Warlock, eventually based around flying, deeper darkness, and blasting.
3) Wee-Jas Cleric, evolving into a Ruby Knight concept.  Lots of negative energy and maybe some devotions and relic capability.

(If I don't know you, haven't communicated with you in PM's or through the Elliquiy Forums, don't just IM me out of the blue.  I will just close the window & ignore you.  Take the trouble to actually send me a greeting & talk with me in Elliquiy first!)

National Acrobat

I haven't forgotten about this, but I was sick a couple days this week, and had some other RL issues come up. I'll be PMing you guys once the week gets under way so we can discuss some of this. It will probably be Tuesday before I do that.

Kate

gosh it would be good if there was a co-storyteller.

There seems to be alot of quality role players interested in this

ff

Quote from: Kate on May 03, 2010, 06:38:56 AM
gosh it would be good if there was a co-storyteller.

There seems to be alot of quality role players interested in this

I might be interested if there's room. Even though there's prolly not, I thought I'd reply here, in part so that if any other would be DM is cruising these threads to get an idea of whether there would be interested players for another campaign, he/she will be more likely to go for it.

Also - even if I were in the 'first group of three', I admit I'd be hesitant to actually join such a 'tight' group - campaigns always seem to have some player attrition, so if you start with 3 people, you can't really withstanding losing any. (For example, in the campaign I am in, the DM was targeting 4-6 and let in 8, and sure enough it went down to 5 before the first fight.)

MingMing

National?  Perhaps we should consider accepting an alternates list?  The mention of fast drop-outs does often happen, and it might be nice to give first crack at people who stated early interest rather than just reopening the game to the public?  What are your thoughts?

National Acrobat

I'll keep a running list of those who show interest, but aren't currently involved in prep for the game. It's one of the reasons I like a small group. Generally it moves fast and steady enough to avoid having people drop out, holding everyone's interest.

ff