News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Interest Check. Zombies.

Started by TheHangedOne, April 09, 2010, 08:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHangedOne

Anybody interested in playing a zombie apocalypse game? I'm only kicking around a few ideas right now, nothing concrete. For now, my ideas are thus:

Setting is on a fictional island town in the New England region of America.
The kind of zombies will be traditional Romero Shamblers. They walk slowly, the reason for reanimation is unknown, they will pursue you once they've caught sight or scent of you, they'll investigate noises they hear, but generally, are very stupid. One bite or scratch and you're going to turn in a few days (although I may actually do something else, to be a bit different)
Setting will be modern day. The game will be NC, I imagine.  As far as characters go, I'd like to see more emphasis on every day people, rather than Ubermensch Soldiers. It's going to be survival horror, not massacre-thousands-of-zombies, you know?

So if you're interested, have a question or an idea, please post.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

RegularRaskolnikov

I just finished reading the Zombie Survival Guide. JUST finished it.

I'm in. I don't really have any questions. A zombie survival game is always a delightful romp and I've been involved before. Your aforementioned ubermensch zombie killers ruined it, though.

I'm officially RSVPing for this event. I'll try to help you garner more interest.
I simply did something that I was too stupid to realize I couldn't do.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=79577.0
((ons and offs because I cannot make hide nor hair of this internet sorcery))

Untamed Skies

I'm interested,

Though you might stick too just being bit. I don't remember anything aside from the Resident Evil movie (which made 90% of it's material up) saying a scratch infects you.

All the same I'm interested

MzNurse

Never played a zombie game other than the DnD zombies. I have played modern games and I'd like to give this a try.
Mz's O.O   Mz's Downtimes   Story Ideas  Open for a few new rps. PM me.

TheHangedOne

Updating zombie details.  If anyone has suggestions or constructive commentary, please share. :)

Their will be two types of zombies. Rotters and Freshies.

A rotter is the old dead, brought back through whatever means.  They are typical Romero Shamblers. Slow, stupid, but dangerous in large numbers.  They don't think, don't feel, they just mindlessly shuffle along, in their eternal quest for food (Live humans, mmmm).

Freshies are those that have died from being exposed to the virus via Rotters. A Freshie walks steadily; a bit faster than the shamblers, but they can not run or even jog. They can, however, lunge, as well as tackle prey to attack. They are somewhat more intelligent than the Rotters. Whereas a Rotter will try to bash down a door, a Freshie will actually be able to open it (assuming it isn't locked). Of course if it is locked, then it will just proceed to bash anyways. 

Being bitten or exposed to infected blood is not going to kill you outright, but it does mean that if you die in any way, besides through massive head trauma,  you will come back. The zombie virus also acts aggressively to disable your immune system, leaving you incredibly vulnerable to illness.

The method of killing zombies is, as you might expect, destroying the brain. Blow it off, decapitate them, slice it open, impale them, beat their head with a crowbar until it's ground beef... You could also try killing them with fire, though it's highly ineffective, and a flaming zombie will cause all sorts of problems. Strong acid is another good solution.
Check out my poet tree!

Untamed Skies

The zombie's sound good, just a few questions for thought

After someone dies how long until they turn?
Does the disease spread to animals?
How large is the infection area?
And is this island like Manhattan? I ask because the further north you go the less people there are out there

Also you have any idea's for a rubric for the characters?

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Untamed Skies on April 09, 2010, 05:49:47 PM
The zombie's sound good, just a few questions for thought

After someone dies how long until they turn?
Does the disease spread to animals?
How large is the infection area?
And is this island like Manhattan? I ask because the further north you go the less people there are out there

Also you have any idea's for a rubric for the characters?
Approximately 24 hours.
Animals can neither carry it, nor spread it. They do not suffer from it.
I'll explain the last two a bit more once I've created an actual rough draft for the location.

I do have an idea, but it's not concrete yet. I'll post it when it is.
Check out my poet tree!

Hera

Will this be freeform?  Or use a system of any kind?

LIAR

Please count me as interested. I love the zombie genre!

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Hera on April 09, 2010, 06:37:14 PM
Will this be freeform?  Or use a system of any kind?
Freeform, with an emphasis on realistic, rather than dramatic, roleplay.

Here is a rough draft of the setting. The chat will be set in modern day.

As for the location, the island and the city are both called Miskatonic, and it's just off the coast of Massachusetts (About twelve miles). A ferry goes back and forth between the mainland and the island twice a day; once in the morning, once in the evening.

Miskatonic is a fairly small settlement; about five thousand citizens in all.  The place has, in recent years, begun to slowly die; their are few good opportunities out on the island, and many of the younger adults leave for the mainland to go to college, and never come back.

A lot of the jobs involve fishing; either being out there catching the fish yourself, or working in the plants where they are processed and canned, and the like.

The town has only one preschool, middle school, and high school to serve the educational needs of its citizens. Many of the shops out here are mom and pop stores. A Wal-Mart, and some fast food joints can be found there, too, but people tend to be ambivalent about the big corporations.

The island is home to two dozen acres of beautiful forest, with some wild life. In the warmer months, many choose to go hiking, or camping.

On the far edge of the island, away from the city, is a privately owned waste disposal site. It went in back around 2000, and stores all sorts of toxic chemicals. It is far enough away that this does not directly have an impact on the citizens, and the town is paid well by the company that owns it for its presence.

Miskatonic tends to be a gloomy place, due to the weather. Mist is not uncommon, and the wind tends to be strong and chilly, even in the warmer months. The occasional big storm will sweep through, causing some damage, but the citizens are stubborn, and always rebuild.

Miskatonic has a small, but budding, tourist industry.

Any questions, ideas, feel free to pitch them at me. I want to make this a setting everyone who plays in will enjoy, and I can't do that without feedback.
Check out my poet tree!

Untamed Skies

Ok so you're going the dead rising route? A isolated incident for the most part, with enough zombies to make it really dangerous?

With that I think it takes care of the rest of my questions but I might pitch a idea towards character traits? Or really have you ever played Resident Evil Outbreak? Each character had at least one special trait that brought a unique quality into it. Maybe in our profiles everyone has a particular kink that could be earned in their respective trade?

Like a Maintanence man would be good for repair and sealing doors, and stuff around that. Maybe even have your respective occupation kinda dictate your stats. Like a EMT would be fast and probably have a high endurance as well as the ability to keep their wits in a tough situation but would be worse at aggressive activities. While a construction worker has more aggressive qualities then defensive?

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Untamed Skies on April 09, 2010, 10:11:03 PM
Ok so you're going the dead rising route? A isolated incident for the most part, with enough zombies to make it really dangerous?

With that I think it takes care of the rest of my questions but I might pitch a idea towards character traits? Or really have you ever played Resident Evil Outbreak? Each character had at least one special trait that brought a unique quality into it. Maybe in our profiles everyone has a particular kink that could be earned in their respective trade?

Like a Maintanence man would be good for repair and sealing doors, and stuff around that. Maybe even have your respective occupation kinda dictate your stats. Like a EMT would be fast and probably have a high endurance as well as the ability to keep their wits in a tough situation but would be worse at aggressive activities. While a construction worker has more aggressive qualities then defensive?
In answer to the question, yes.

As for your suggestion, yes, I have played the game, and I like it. I'm thinking of people's occupation giving them some skills, and influence their starting equipment. An EMT, like you said, is liable to keep their wits. They also have plenty of medical knowledge, and should have access to more than off-the-shelf stuff from pharmacies. A police officer may have a light bullet proof vest, and access to some heavier firepower than your average citizen. A thief would have the skills and equipment to quietly and deftly pick locks, etc.

Some time tomorrow, I'll post a character sheet outline. 
Check out my poet tree!

TheHangedOne

This is just a rough draft of it, if any has a good addition/edit idea, feel free to speak up.

Name:
Education:
Job:
Personal Skills:
Equipment:
Personality blurb:
History blurb:

I believe most of it is self explanatory. You are assumed to be competent in your job and have all the requisite skills that go with it. Personal skills is anything your character is particularly good at, but is a skill that would not fit with their job, such as a chef who is a crack shot with a pistol because he spends every Saturday at the shooting range.

Equipment is what you will start with. As the game progresses you may acquire and lose items, and while I realize it might be a bit of a pain, I'll ask that people keep their profile updated whenever they gain or lose something. Starting equipment should fit the job; an EMT may have an ambulance, and lots of medicine, for instance. If your character has a piece of equipment that doesn't typically go with the job (like an EMT with a shotgun), their history should support how/why they have the things they do, especially if it's heavy firepower.

Please write as much (or as little) as you'd like about your characters personality and history; these are things I will keep in mind when setting up the scenes of the game.

Speaking of which, I am going to semi-DM things. I'll set up the scenes and handle how characters actions effect the world, though to a lesser extent, everyone can feel free to do as they please, so long as it makes sense in the end.

On an unrelated note, the game is going to start pre-zombies, to give everyone time to establish their characters ins and outs, for friendships to be forged, etc.  I'll not spoil when the shit hits the fan, though.

And again, if anyone has some suggestions or comments, please feel free. I want to craft this world we'll be playing in, but more importantly, I want to ensure all the players are having a good time and enjoying themselves.
Check out my poet tree!

Untamed Skies

Name: Justin Morrison
Age 21
Sex: Male
Education: Bachelors of literature, EMT
Job: EMT
Personal Skills: Good with a knife (a combination of cooking, EMT work, and other tasks requiring a knife)
Equipment: First Aid Kit(bandages, sprays, some medicine), 3 inch Knife, pocket knife
Personality blurb: Justin has a kind of save the world syndrome in his system. He became a EMT because he had a passion for helping people in need and nothing else seemed to make better sense. Though he's working his way to become a fire fighter, and maybe even join the coast guard for search and rescue. He's usually pretty relaxed outside of work and enjoys joking and gaming with friends.
History blurb: Justin has a couple of younger siblings but both of them moved out to the west coast after graduating high school. After he went to college his parents moved to Boston leaving him alone in his home town. He was usually a pretty smart kid, getting high test scores, but had a decently lazy disposition in high school and didn't homework which hurt him later trying to get into college. All the same he doubled his efforts and managed to get a degree in English, and his EMT where he could start working towards his goals of being a firefighter. He always liked people, and always liked helping people, so being paid to do so was a dream come true for him. 

Hera

OK, I'm game if you'll have me.  Here's the character:

Name: Hope Kessler

Sex: Female

Education: BS in Biology

Job: High School Gym Teacher/Girls' Coach

Personal Skills: Very athletic, quick-thinking, in excellent health, college-level biology.

Equipment: Any kind of sports equipment she could put her hands on: baseball bat, hockey stick; also a small first aid kit she keeps on hand for sports injuries.

Personality blurb: Hope is optimistic to the point where she might be considered naive or annoyingly upbeat by some, but she's basically possessed of a naturally outgoing and friendly personality, and an impressive amount of energy.  She does, however, have a slightly twisted and dark sense of humor.

History blurb: Hope was born in this small town, but always wanted out.  She worked hard in school--both academically and athletically--for that purpose only.  On graduation, she left to go to college as far away as she could get: California, hoping to get an advanced degree and work in some sort of research position.  When her mother died and her father had a stroke, she returned home to take care of him.

She had been working toward a graduate degree in biology when she'd had to drop out and come back.  Jobs were scarce in the fishing town, but she was able to get a position as Interim Gym Teacher and Coach.  She's been an "interim" teacher for four years.

TheHangedOne

Both look good. :D Approved, and approved.  I'm gonna give this about a week, to let others post their characters, and hopefully, for a few more to join up.
Check out my poet tree!

pendarious

i'm a fan of these sorta things *grins* i'm in.

Name: Henry Almark
Education: high school diploma, working on his history degree in college

equipment: a 9 mm handgun, printless gloves, lock pick, fishing wire,5 or 6 clips of handgun ammo for the handgun that's on him at all times, lubricant (for squeaky hinges), and a mask
personal skills: decent shot with his hand gun and has some proficiancy with a 30 ought six (however ya spell that), quick thinking, agile, he's also knowledgeable of the terrain, cool under preassure.

Background: Henry came from a decent family and grew up rather well. he got to college and started hanging out with the wrong people and thievery became one of his favorite pass times. he has never been caught. as a child he went hunting with his father often. as he grew older one of his hobbies became visiting a local shooting range.

Physical appearence: he's about 5"11 and lean kinda guant and pale, his eyes have a hazel tent and also always has bags under his eyes.

personality: he's a calm and quiet individual. he can be friendly when he has to be but he's very untrusting and paranoid. some think he may be paranoid to the level of schitzophrinic.
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

TheHangedOne

Quote from: pendarious on April 11, 2010, 02:05:33 PM
i'm a fan of these sorta things *grins* i'm in.

Name: Henry Almark
Education: high school diploma, working on his history degree in college

equipment: a 9 mm handgun, printless gloves, lock pick, fishing wire,5 or 6 clips of handgun ammo for the handgun that's on him at all times, lubricant (for squeaky hinges), and a mask
personal skills: decent shot with his hand gun and has some proficiancy with a 30 ought six (however ya spell that), quick thinking, agile, he's also knowledgeable of the terrain, cool under preassure.

Background: Henry came from a decent family and grew up rather well. he got to college and started hanging out with the wrong people and thievery became one of his favorite pass times. he has never been caught. as a child he went hunting with his father often. as he grew older one of his hobbies became visiting a local shooting range.

Physical appearence: he's about 5"11 and lean kinda guant and pale, his eyes have a hazel tent and also always has bags under his eyes.

personality: he's a calm and quiet individual. he can be friendly when he has to be but he's very untrusting and paranoid. some think he may be paranoid to the level of schitzophrinic.

Sounds good. And a thirty ought six would be spelled 30.06.  Though remember, Miskatonic doesn't have its own college on the island, so he needs to have a reason to be back home. Spring break, maybe?
Check out my poet tree!

pendarious

oh i did forget that didn't i? oops *scratches back of head* yeah....umm spring break works  *laughs*
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

LIAR

Name: Charlie Hodgens
Education: High School Graduate
Job: Wal Mart
Personal Skills: Knows the area, can drive boats and cars
Equipment: Shovel, Backpack (four bottles of water, loaf of bread, can of beans, fruit cups, swiss army knife, lighter, notebook, pens), Jacket
Personality blurb: Socially awkward Charlie has had most of her conversations through a headset. She's spent an indecent amount of her life on videogames to escape reality. She's pretty depressed; she's just hit 18 where she's supposed to move out and go to college, but she hasn't. She feels like she's stuck and needs a push to get off Miskatonic. She shy's away from cheerful people as they make her uncomfortable. She's focused, a realist, and quick to adapt on the surface.
History blurb: Her accademic marks were average. Her althletics were average. Her looks were average. Her social skills were average. This teen didn't really stand out at anything or gather many friends. She's spent most of her life in this no-where town doing nothing. The tides of Miskatonic have caught her and she's following the flow, though deep down she would love nothing more than to break away. She's too afraid to, though. She still lives with her parents, watches cartoons on Saturday mornings, and occasionally spends the night out on the town with her friends.

April 13th Update!

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Your Akina on April 11, 2010, 11:21:55 PM
Name: Charlie Hodgens
Education: High School Graduate
Job: Wal Mart
Personal Skills: Knows the area, can drive boats and cars
Equipment: Shovel, Backpack (four bottles of water, loaf of bread, can of beans, fruit cups, swiss army knife, lighter, notebook, pens), Jacket
Personality blurb: Socially awkward Charlie has had most of her conversations through a headset. She's spent an indecent amount of her life on videogames to escape reality. She's pretty depressed; she's just hit 18 where she's supposed to move out and go to college, but she hasn't. She feels like she's stuck and needs a push to get off Miskatonic. She shy's away from cheerful people as they make her uncomfortable. She's focused, a realist, and quick to adapt on the surface.
History blurb: Her accademic marks were average. Her althletics were average. Her looks were average. Her social skills were average. This teen didn't really stand out at anything or gather many friends. She's spent most of her life in this no-where town doing nothing. The tides of Miskatonic have caught her and she's following the flow, though deep down she would love nothing more than to break away. She's too afraid to, though. She still lives with her parents, watches cartoons on Saturday mornings, and occasionally spends the night out on the town with her friends.
A gaming geek. :D I like it. Approved.
Check out my poet tree!

Urbanzorro

Are you still accepting male characters? I tried to get a zombie game started once but it died soon after lol....wouldn't mind bringing back my character from that game.
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

jayline

Awww man, there's already a nerd character here, any chance this one can get in too?

Name: Kurt Wallace
Education: High School, Some College
Job: Fish Cannery
Personal Skills: Some outdoorsman skills, extensive pop culture zombie knowledge, archery
Equipment: bow and arrows, hand me down cammies, car

Personality Blurb: Kurt is extremely lonely and despondent, forgotten by his close friends who are all off in college, and unable to forgive himself for his failure at university. The few friends he's made at the cannery only leave him feeling more alone, as he's unable to relate to them. He spends his money at the bar with his coworkers, buying expensive booze for home, or even more expensive tools and materials for bow crafting and arrowmaking, most of which he has to do in his dad's garage. He's not very fit due to poor diet and lack of exercise, but has decent arm strength from his archery practice.

History Blurb: Intellectually gifted from an early age, Kurt rapidly became the little nerd who couldn't when he developed a superiority complex in high school. He breezed his way through high school with A's and B's without ever applying himself to his studies. He instead spent his time on zombie games and movies with his friends, his obsession with the movie 'Army of Darkness' in particular developing into a fascination with the medieval age, which in turn drew him to participate in renaissance festivals. Without any study skills or motivation, he quickly flunked out of university and returned home defeated and embittered. His father got him a job at the cannery, where he earns all his money, his free time he spends either at bars, practicing archery in the woods, or working on bow crafting and arrow making; a hobby he hopes to turn into a business at the renaissance festivals he attends.

Urbanzorro

Here's my proposed character: Hopefully it meets with your approval

Name: Jack Bowman

Education: High School,  Plumber’s vocational school.

Job: City Plumber/ Independent Contractor

Personal Skills: A decent shot with a gun, Strong, Very good at fixing things/Using tools/Building things

Equipment:  9mm. Pistol, 1 extra clip, plumber's coverall, toolkit, crowbar.

History Blurb: Jack was always a 'handyman' seeming to possess the ability to simply figure out how to do things with his hands, even if this skill didn't extend to book learning. It meant that obtaining his plumbing license  was a relatively easy task. He is realtivly new to town having only moved their from Chicago a few months ago, growing tired of the constant feeling of danger, hell he'd even bought a gun before finally saying goodbye to The Wendy City. In his time in town he had proven to be introverted, as well as a person of habit, eating at the same places talking to the same people. He works as a plumber for the city, occasionally doing some independent work if the bills are tough or if he just wants extra cash. In his spare time he had been working on getting his carpentry and electricians licenses. Hoping to start his own contracting business one day. 

Personality Blurb: Jack is I kind man, if a bit quite, he tends to keep his opinion to himself unless he feels that it really needs to be heard. If he counts you as one of his friends he can be very loyal and more than willing to stand up for you. That having been said if you cross him he has no problem with taking you down. He was raised in a military household, and as such he has a strong sense of loyalty and duty. He has trouble getting along with any man he sees as not pulling their own weight, and is also known to be very protective of people he thinks need his help.

I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

phoenix1111

Anymore room for another guy? I'm very interested I this haha and wouldnwant to play an older( 36ish) gentleman whose
profession being in the medical field