Get Out Of Jail Free...the Nightmare Begins (NC, apoc)

Started by OldSchoolGamer, March 10, 2010, 02:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSchoolGamer

Edited Saturday night: ** NOW LOOKING FOR EVIL CHARACTERS **

It's another late afternoon at the Chesterton County Jail.  A medium-sized lockup that serves...if you can really call it that...a Southern California county.   The CCJ has all manner of criminals confined within its drab stucco walls.  You have petty offenders brought in on bullshit warrants, on ice until they can get up in front of a judge to pay their fines or draw their time on the work details cleaning up tumbleweeds and McDonald's wrappers from the highways and byways. 

Some of the criminals are a rougher sort, doing time for medium-level offenses like robbery, domestic assault, drunk driving, larceny, and drugs.  And some, the jail was never meant to house: rapists, murderers, and others.  But as the California budget melted down, and Chesteron County was one of the few counties with space available in its jail, the State contracted with it to hold some more violent criminals.  It was cost-effective...if unpopular.

Watching the inmates are the guards.  The guards are an underpaid, overworked bunch.  Some are nice...some not so nice.  Some are on the take for the gangs inside the jail, granting various privileges and dispensations in exchange for everything from currency to drugs.  Then there are the civilian workers: doctors and nurses, maintenance, counselors, secretaries, and so forth, who do the best they can to just do their jobs and not get on the bad sides of the inmates.

The afternoon our story begins was going like any other...the jail a pressure-cooker, with its dozen or so factions all in a delicate balance.  A few dozen inmates are out in the exercise yard shooting hoops and killing time.  Others are eating dinner in the spartan cafeteria.  There is a television there.  The television is one of the few perks the inmates have.  It serves to pacify the prisoners.  But the old tube TV also is a flashpoint.  Assaults, even murders, have been committed over the simple matter of what channel the TV is tuned to at a particular time.

Moments before the prisoners got their impromptu early release, the TV was tuned to NBA basketball.  The Lakers were up 86 to 81 over the Celtics, making the prison's internal bookies happy.  However, with a little over eight minutes left to go, there was still time for things to break the other way.

Or so everyone thought.  In reality, time was up.

The sound of the Emergency Broadcast System cut in, clipping the Lakers bench and coaches from view.  The message scrolled across the screen, simple and terrifyingly to the point:

OBJECTS INBOUND ENTERING EARTHS ATMOSPHERE TAKE COVER IMMEDIATELY

"What the fuck?"  One beefy, black inmate stood up, walking closer to the TV.  "Put the game back on, we don't wanna hear this shit."

"What say, no speak Ingles," a Latino responded.  Then the conversations became inaudible over a hubbub of voices.  For a moment, the prisoners milled around the cafeteria, watching the message scroll a second and then a third time, slowly.

"All right everyone," an authoritative voice boomed, the guard holding a nightstick, "all inmates back to your cells.  Everyone, line up!"

The TV picture dissolved into static.  There was a boom, a deep sonic boom, the kind that went straight to your molars and then bounced around for awhile.  The TV went dead--no, didn't just go dead, but imploded in a shower of sparks.  There was a screeching feedback like damned souls from the guard's radio, and then it went dead.  The fluorescent lights popped one by one, going off, making the gray light from the barred windows the only source of light.  The smell of burnt insulation hung acrid and pungent in the air.

It was then that the inmates saw the door to the administrative section was open, and auxiliary power had failed to kick in to close it...

It is at that moment of realization that the storyline begins.  Your character can be an inmate, or a guard, or one of the civilians.  This is going to be a gritty tale of survival, of what rough and perhaps even evil men do when the chains that bind them are suddenly sundered, and as such it is not for the faint of heart.  There will be sex, quite a bit of it nonconsensual.  But there will also be a plotline...what the inmates and guards and workers do, how they survive, whether they make peace with each other, the challenges they face.  And of course there is the question of what has happened to the outside...which, ultimately, will prove to be the most important matter of all...

Urbanzorro

I might be interested. Just how cut off from the outside would the prisoners/guards be? If that is something your willing to discuss?
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Urbanzorro on March 10, 2010, 02:37:01 AM
I might be interested. Just how cut off from the outside would the prisoners/guards be? If that is something your willing to discuss?

Sure.  They're going to be somewhat cut off, especially after the goings-on.  If you wanted access to a larger community for a plot hook or something, the story could be written that way too.

Urbanzorro

I actually like the whole cut off aspect. :D Now would this be an all male prison or would you find a way to work in women? Or would the only females be the civilian staffers?

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Urbanzorro on March 10, 2010, 03:19:27 AM
I actually like the whole cut off aspect. :D Now would this be an all male prison or would you find a way to work in women? Or would the only females be the civilian staffers?

I could have a women's wing...I had figured the only women would be the civilians, maybe a couple guards, but that's not etched in stone.

TheHangedOne

This has perked my interests. Would you be using any system for this, or will it be freeform? And will we begin play while the prisoners are rioting, or just as the dust is settling?
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Elven Sex Goddess

I like the premise of the story's plot.    Basically  in line with Jericho, but much grittier with the focal point the jail (town)  as the backdrop of the story.    Many plot hooks in the story.  That wrap and spin off from the event that triggers it.

As a character, I am thinking  of a character whose background is not immediately of the prison from the inside, but connected laterally.   As she is a junior prosecutor that had come that day to speak with one of the inmates to get a disposition for a case.    With her getting caught in the triggering event. 

Duchess

QuoteOBJECTS INBOUND ENTERING EARTHS ATMOSPHERE TAKE COVER IMMEDIATELY

"What the fuck?"  One beefy, black inmate stood up, walking closer to the TV.  "Put the game back on, we don't wanna hear this shit."

"What say, no speak Ingles," a Latino responded.  Then the conversations became inaudible over a hubbub of voices.  For a moment, the prisoners milled around the cafeteria, watching the message scroll a second and then a third time, slowly.

"All right everyone," an authoritative voice boomed, the guard holding a nightstick, "all inmates back to your cells.  Everyone, line up!"

The TV picture dissolved into static.  There was a boom, a deep sonic boom, the kind that went straight to your molars and then bounced around for awhile.  The TV went dead--no, didn't just go dead, but imploded in a shower of sparks.  There was a screeching feedback like damned souls from the guard's radio, and then it went dead.  The fluorescent lights popped one by one, going off, making the gray light from the barred windows the only source of light.  The smell of burnt insulation hung acrid and pungent in the air.

It was then that the inmates saw the door to the administrative section was open, and auxiliary power had failed to kick in to close it...

here i got confused, what just happend with the tv ? it explode?

and the message??

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Duchess on March 10, 2010, 11:19:11 AM
here i got confused, what just happend with the tv ? it explode?

and the message??
I'm pretty sure what ended up happening is that their was a meteorite or some other large object that entered the atmosphere and hit. With the way the electric things freaked out, I'm guessing what happened is something called an Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) went off, which will absolutely *fry* any sort of electronic device, completely and irrevocably destroying it. For a more in depth understanding of EMP's, try wiki-ing it.
Check out my poet tree!

Duchess

so basically if a meteorite hit mean it destroyed everything outside the jail?

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Duchess on March 10, 2010, 11:48:41 AM
so basically if a meteorite hit mean it destroyed everything outside the jail?
Not necessarily, though that's a detail for the creator to come up with, not me. The EMP can travel amazingly long distances beyond the crash site.
Check out my poet tree!

Urbanzorro

This is true, and while anything with an electronic circuit would shut down the physical structures would still survive if they weren't hit by the shock wave. I.E. all the lights/computers/ect in a library would be useless but the library and the books and people inside would be physically ok.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Elven Sex Goddess

Perhaps not a meteor that strikes.  But a alien invasion.   That in the first wave,  hits Earth with a EMP, to knock out defenses and thus plunge the world into darkness and chaos. 

Duchess

lol we can all assume but I'm just  asking to know what the game base is, like he said it is a survival.. so there will be survivors outside the jail, who will be confronted by the convicts?

ChaoticSky

i should point out that a meteor would not cause a EMP, no way no how.

a uber solarflare, or CME (Coronal Mass Ejection) can induce uncontrolled current in silicon chips, damaging them, in a effect very similar to a EMP, such a flare can increasing the drag on low-level satillights and cause them to fall to earth, though lets be honest, they wouldnt do much damage on their own. nuclear weapons, and hypothetical (or top secret, depending on how paranoid you are) EMP-based bombs are also possible. though i should point out that anything turned off, or shielded with a Faraday Cage (as High Value systems tend to be) are immune to EM interference.

but the loss of electronics would hardly kill society (i was here for the east coast blackout, we survived just fine), which is what i think the OP is going for.

a ideal world-end scenario, if this is to be set in north america, would involve a large meteor breaking up on contact with earths atmo, the largest fragment striking central asia and setting off massive earth quake which destabilises Yellowstone, causing it to erupt., while smaller fragments airburst over the old world, creating expanding columns of molten air, setting forests ablaze and BBQing people in a *very* wide area.

the over all effect would be utter devastation or annihilation of the old world, the entire world wrapped in darkness, and a wide band of destruction reaching across northern America and southern Canada, wiping out both capitals and pretty much everyone near yellowstone, or between YS and virginia and labradour (absolute worst case, but i guess we can assume that), this would also contaminate the majority of the fresh water with sulfer and volcanic ash (turns to concrete when you get it wet... drinking it would be a bad idea).  the ash would also feck up and degrade electronics, collapes houses, and kill every powerplant caught in the blast, which would cause the grid's input to drop massively, tripping a cascade of safey systems and shutting down the entire north american grid. to say nothing of probably clogging up the cooling systems and sending the nuclear reactors critical as well, which could cause EMPs, i think, depending on who badly they get screwed. and if it where to rain.... you could kiss all manner of water control, drainage and sewage systems goodbye. it will also cause absolute HELL on the climate, with the global temperature skyrocketing in the inital impacts by about 30 degrees C (so if it was 40.. you now get to die in 70), which will trigger massive super hurricanes. that would be promptly followed by a much more longer lasting cooling due to the blockage of sunlight.

overall... the end of civilization, but quite survivable for a small select group. the entire clusterfuck would take about 3-6 days from start to finish. and 6 months to several years for the sky to clear (depending on how long it takes YS to stop spewing). a large spike in temperature for a few days, maybe a week or two, follow by a continual cooling for the foreseeable future.

anywho.... thats just my idea.... and its abit more realistic than a meteor triggered EMP >_>

OldSchoolGamer

The answer to all these questions is...you don't know the answers.  All you know is what you can see or hear.  The jail is not destroyed.  The physical damage--aside from the blown electronics--is roughly equivalent to that of a 4.5 quake: a few objects knocked off shelves, water sloshing around pools and other large containers, but no structural damage to anything of importance.  Of course, for all you know it may have been a 9.1 quake in L.A., a 7.0 quake 50 miles away...or who knows?  You don't know what blew out the TV and lights.  It could be anything from an exotic alien plasma weapon to EMP weapons launched from Russia to a simple and highly local power surge.  The surge might be confined to the jail, to the area, to the whole Southwest, or the entire planet.  Not knowing is part of the plotline.  Finding these things out will be one of the challenges--perhaps, in the long run, the greatest challenge--for your characters. 

As for the system, it is freeform.  There may be a few die rolls involved--I'll calculate the odds and roll the dice when such occasions arise (which likely will be infrequently). 

The concept for a visiting female character is fine.

I'm fleshing out the surrounding area.  Likely there'll be a medium-sized town within a few miles, but no major cities for at least forty miles or so.

Saerrael

I find myself interested, but unsure how to fit a female in here lest there really is a women's wing.
*ponders*
Keeping an eye on this to see how it will evolve.

Elven Sex Goddess

Quote from: Saerra on March 10, 2010, 07:31:52 PM
I find myself interested, but unsure how to fit a female in here lest there really is a women's wing.
*ponders*
Keeping an eye on this to see how it will evolve.

You have a lot of options, to fit a woman in besides in the female inmates wing.    She could be a prison counselor.  doctor or nurse.    Or even a sheriff department officer, perhaps gets caught delivering a prisoner.   Or even a television news reporter, coming to do a piece on say prison overcrowding.  As some of the examples that can be used. 

Saerrael

Quote from: Elven Sex Goddess on March 10, 2010, 07:38:13 PM
You have a lot of options, to fit a woman in besides in the female inmates wing.    She could be a prison counselor.  doctor or nurse.    Or even a sheriff department officer, perhaps gets caught delivering a prisoner.   Or even a television news reporter, coming to do a piece on say prison overcrowding.  As some of the examples that can be used.

I do agree with you there, yes. Heck, I could even play the warden's daughter that just happened to be there to see daddy work or something cheesy like that, but feeling in the mood for a rough, though girl, if I'm honest.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Saerra on March 10, 2010, 07:44:24 PM
I do agree with you there, yes. Heck, I could even play the warden's daughter that just happened to be there to see daddy work or something cheesy like that, but feeling in the mood for a rough, though girl, if I'm honest.

How about a prisoner's girlfriend?  Or she could be a prisoner in a holding cell up front awaiting transit to a womens facility.

Saerrael

Quote from: OldSchoolGamer on March 10, 2010, 09:32:17 PM
How about a prisoner's girlfriend?  Or she could be a prisoner in a holding cell up front awaiting transit to a womens facility.

Hmm, some bird that was working with some guys relatively nearby? If they had just been picked up, that would make sense.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Saerra on March 10, 2010, 09:41:14 PM
Hmm, some bird that was working with some guys relatively nearby? If they had just been picked up, that would make sense.

That sounds like a plan.

Saerrael

Quote from: OldSchoolGamer on March 10, 2010, 09:51:39 PM
That sounds like a plan.

*grins* I'll go contemplate a more detailed character then and will be keeping an eye on this to see how things will go. ;)

TheHangedOne

Thanks for the science lesson, Darkling. I'm generally more familiar with science fiction than science fact, so that was nice. :)
Check out my poet tree!

Elven Sex Goddess

Name:  Sophia Isabel Niallo
Concept:  Deputy District Attorney of Chesterton County,  California
Sexuality:  Heterosexual

Description: Sophia is petite woman of stature in height at five feet one inch.    A rather curvaceous body shape to her body.  That weighs somewhere between one hundred fifteen to one hundred twenty five pounds.  Her hair coloring is brunette.   That is the perfect asset to her dark blue eyes.   That have a piercing quality.  That seems to look through a person and to their inner soul.    She never wears too much make up.  Just enough to enhance and highlight her natural beauty.   While she is a professional.  She wears items that are flattering for her.   That which promote her sexuality and femininity.   Instead of suppressing it,  in trying to cover up.   In a tasteful selection of outfits that she wears.  From dresses to skirt outfits.   As she doesn't believe in a woman should wear pant suits.

Personality:   A force strong personality is what the world sees.   A strong strength of character and conviction.   A go getter,  in other words a barracuda.  Especially within the court room.   However,  that is what lays over a buried true nature.  One that evidence is given, in how she dresses.  What she will not wear.   For the push of her parents,  later to be explained more fully.   Pushed her into her career.  When the truth Sophia would perfectly happy playing the part of a housewife.   A house wife that loves and obeys her husband.
Bio:Sophia Isabel Niallo,  from the northwest suburbs of Chicago, in the township of Hoffman Estates.   Like her three older brothers.  Was influenced heavily into getting into the professions of law.   Especially in becoming lawyers.   The path to such was expected to go to Harvard law school.    For her parents,  both Harvard graduates.   Also now both judges in the county at the time.   Expected their children to follow the same path.    Of which only one would.  That being the oldest of them.   Her older brother Phillipe, who is eighteen years senior to her.      However, by the time she is sixteen years of age.   The pressure for her to go to Harvard grows.   For beloved Phillip at the age of thirty three, would have a stroke.  That would curtail his ascendancy in the ranks of law.   While not yet mentioned.  Her two middle brothers.  Enrico and Ernesto.    The twins,  who are ten years her senior.   Enrico would not go into law.  For that matter he would go to Florida state on a football scholarship.   To which would lead to a NFL career.   While Ernesto,  is now in his fourth tour to Iraq.   For he joined the army right out of high school.     So this left intense pressure on Sophia.

That pressure would lead her to go to a prestigious school of law.  However it was not Harvard, the second ranked school in the nation behind Yale.  No instead Sophia opted to her parents horror.  With the audacity to go to the mere third rank school of Stanford in California.    It is during this time she pushes her true nature and wants to the background.  It is because of guilt.  For her father dies in her junior year.   Then the following year her mother passes away in her senior year.    It is these events that change her goals.  She had gone to Stanford to merely find a husband.   But that changed, the guilt she felt for not going to Harvard, despite being accepted.   Now she would buckle down and not only graduate.  She would pass the bar examine to practice in California.   As she fell in love with the state.   

As a junior partner in a law firm in San Fransisco.  Sophia tenacity would be noticed.   Her reputation as a barracuda in the court room.  The willingness to do the leg work for cases.  To get in and get dirty.   To bolster cases, caught the eye of the Chesterton county District Attorney.   He would woo her into becoming one of his junior district attorneys.    Sophia would accept and take the position.    That was a year and a half ago.   Her name is often talked about replacing her boss.   If he decides to run for a state senate seat.   She has garner a impressive conviction rate with three hundred and twenty two convictions.   Which meant the corrections facility in Chesterton county.   That just over half of those within.  She is responsible for winning convictions on them.   On real dregs of society, from murderers, rapist and other hard line felnoy convicts. 

No steady boyfriend,  not since Sophia threw her heart and soul into the law and being a lawyer.  Out of the guilt she felt.    It is not to say she has not dated.  She just would not let anyone close to derail her from her career.   As she does work towards becoming a judge.  But it has not changed her.  That essences that is truly the core of what and who she is as a person.   Still lays in wait to be once again released.