Interest Check: Dark Series RP (based on Christine Feehan)

Started by Clio, October 31, 2009, 07:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clio

A Dark Carpathian Roleplay

Dark Love: OOC
Dark Love: Profiles
Dark Love: Interest Check

So, LadySky and I were chatting, and we discovered that we both ADORED Christine Feehan and her Dark Series. It is a twist on the traditional vampire lore, and requires highly dominant men with a protective streak, and women to love them. Here is some information:

Christine Feehan's Official Site

Wiki Article on Feehan

Dark Series Wiki Article

Brief Synopsis: The Dark Series introduces the Carpathians, a powerful and ancient race. They have many gifts, including the ability to shape-shift, and extended life spans, living for thousands of years. Though they feed on human blood, they don't kill their human prey, and for the most part live among humans without detection. Despite their gifts, the Carpathians are on the edge of extinction. There have been few children born to them in the past few centuries, and those that have been born are all male and often die in the first year. It has been more than 500 years since a female has been born. In the absence of their female counterparts, also known as "lifemates", male Carpathians lose the ability to feel emotions and to see in color. The only feeling left to them is the thrill of making a kill. Once a male has done this, he loses his soul and "turns", becoming the monster of human legend, the vampire or the "undead". With so few females left, males are forced to make a stark choice: either become vampire or "greet the dawn" (i.e. commit suicide). However, when they do find a lifemate, the ability to see in colour and their emotions are restored to them, and their souls are saved.

An example plot from the first book in the series, Dark Prince:
Dark Prince introduces the Carpathians, a powerful and ancient race. They have many gifts, including the ability to shape-shift, and extended life spans, living well over many years. Though they feed on human blood, they don't kill their human prey, and for the most part live among them without detection. Despite their gifts, the Carpathians are on the edge of extinction. There have been few children born to them in the past few centuries, those that have been born are all male and often die in the first year. It has been more than 500 years since a female has been born. Without females, many of the males are turning, becoming vampires, the monsters of human legend. After 200 years, a male Carpathian loses the ability to feel emotions and see in color. These will only return to him when he finds his lifemate, the other half of his soul.

Mikhail Dubrinsky, Prince of the Carpathians and oldest among his people, has worked tirelessly for centuries to discover why so many of their children die in the first years. However, his efforts have come to no avail. It is at this time, when he is on the brink of despair and self-destruction that he meets a beautiful human psychic, Raven Whitney. Raven is a strong telepath, and has worked with the police to capture four serial killers. But her gift has come with a price: a life of isolation, and pain whenever she uses her gift. When he meets her, he is shocked and amazed when he suddenly is able to see colors in her presence; he realizes that she is his lifemate. Despite his joy, there is doubt in his mind. No human woman has ever been a lifemate to a Carpathian. All human females who were converted had become deranged creatures, feeding on children and had to be destroyed.

But he knows she is the only woman for him, the other half of his soul. He is determined to live as a human with her and to die when she does. However, this is not to be. Raven is attacked by fanatics, and he is forced to convert her to save her life. Her survival brings new hope to him and his people, for if one psychic human female can be a lifemate, surely there are others.

Okay! So, basically we need male Carpathians, and female lifemates. We will need an even number, but if you don't have a partner yet, no worries...just wait a bit! Also, I'm not sure how to pair people up, or to just "let it happen." Any ideas?

Signature by the amazing Amaris.

LadySky

*dances about happily* I am so excited for this! I already have a lifemate character in mind and she is human with some psychic ability.

As far as pairing goes, I would kind of like to pair up before the game starts so that we can discuss together how they meet and such....I kind of have an idea for my girl, that is why...hehehehe
I dreamed a dreamed, life has killed the dream I dreamed. So....I dream a NEW DREAM!!! never let them see you cry.

Autumn52

I am so down with this story. I have a character in mind already. I agree with LadySky that we should pair up before hand and discuss through PM what we want out of our characters and how they meet.

*jump up and down in excitement*
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

Belladonna1

OMG!  Another of my favorite authors/series!!!  Definately count me in- please!!! :)
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.   On's & Off's are up!

Clio

Yay! Now we just need boys...

Come on men! It's basically you being sexy dominate vampiric creatures! Who doesn't want that?

Xanatos

Well this does sound intriguing. I just never have read the books.

Clio

Quote from: DarkXanatos on November 01, 2009, 01:04:49 AM
Well this does sound intriguing. I just never have read the books.

No need. We can explain it, and there's info online.

Xanatos

Explain away if you wish. I do have one question just to clarify. Us males will start out mate less and emotion/color less, right? So my guy would be more or less a blank slate until he meets his lady? I am not fully clear on this whole part.

Clio

Quote from: DarkXanatos on November 01, 2009, 01:10:10 AM
Explain away if you wish. I do have one question just to clarify. Us males will start out mate less and emotion/color less, right? So my guy would be more or less a blank slate until he meets his lady? I am not fully clear on this whole part.

Yes. After a Carpathian turns 200 or so, if he hasn't found a lifemate, then his colors and emotions go. The only way he can get a "high" is by killing, although most try to avoid that. If they kill someone while feeding, then something happens in their mind that turns them vampire. Vampires are the evil version of a Carpathian, and most Carpathian males make it their life's goal to hunt and kill the Vampires. Anyway, when the male meets their lifemate, the colors and emotion return full force, and he knows immediately. However, she may not, as female humans and Carpathians are not the same. They are the light to the male's darkness, and although both will eventually need the other, it's only the male who knows initially. Most of Feehan's books go through them discovering the woman, trying to convince her, them falling in love, and him protecting her. Most also end with them getting pregnant, as continuing the race is most important.

A lifemate can be either a psychic human female, or a Carpathian female...although Carpathian women are very rare. I mean, those born Carpathian. Most of the men will turn the human lifemates Carpathian.

Does that make sense? Your character will be emotionless, colorless and dark. Usually on the verge of either killing to become vampire, or going into the light to die. When he meets the woman, he has something to live for...to protect.

LadySky

Christa you so very good at explaining! Very Very Nice!  ;D
I dreamed a dreamed, life has killed the dream I dreamed. So....I dream a NEW DREAM!!! never let them see you cry.

Dexter Wiggles

I haven't read these books, but it sounds interesting. I might join you all.
Got a job with a long commute so I'll not be able to post much for at least the next few weeks, probably only once or twice a day.

On's and Off's
Introduction

Rachubka

Showed interest earlier when the idea as in LadySky's idea thread. Just... haven't really brought up the nerve to build on it. Now, though, I'm glad someone else has!

Xanatos

Ah I see. That makes sense. Well I am good to go then.

LadySky

That is two males! Knew lots of girls might want this....happy to see male interest!

Clio

Quote from: Armanda Honey on November 01, 2009, 09:36:06 AM
Christa you so very good at explaining! Very Very Nice!  ;D

Aww, thanks!

Quote from: Dexter Wiggles on November 01, 2009, 09:40:17 AM
I haven't read these books, but it sounds interesting. I might join you all.

Yay! Do it.... *stares down*

Quote from: Rachubka on November 01, 2009, 11:02:53 AM
Showed interest earlier when the idea as in LadySky's idea thread. Just... haven't really brought up the nerve to build on it. Now, though, I'm glad someone else has!

*smiles* I'm glad.

Quote from: DarkXanatos on November 01, 2009, 11:22:26 AM
Ah I see. That makes sense. Well I am good to go then.

Good, if you need anything else, then let me know.

Quote from: Armanda Honey on November 01, 2009, 11:23:15 AM
That is two males! Knew lots of girls might want this....happy to see male interest!

Me too. Now, recruit if you can! We need boys!

Xanatos

So can we post character concepts in this thread, or you are you wanting to wait on that? Oh wait, we are supposed to chat with the ladies first before character creation yes?

Clio

Quote from: DarkXanatos on November 01, 2009, 12:49:46 PM
So can we post character concepts in this thread, or you are you wanting to wait on that? Oh wait, we are supposed to chat with the ladies first before character creation yes?

Hmm...Well, I'll open up a Profile thread later today, and you can post it there. Go ahead and post your bios, and I'll take a look and see about making suggestions to pairs. However, if you want to work it out individually, that's fine too, I just would appreciate an update as to what you're talking about and decisions you make.

LadySky

Xanatos

Roger! I will see what I can make up, but no guarantees I will have it soon, unfortunately. Have work today, and work in the middle of Monday, and then school on Tueseday, gah! So hopefully I can squeeze something in.

Duncan

Got room for one more vampire wanting to kill himself?

Until...he meets.....her!

>.>

<.<

LadySky

Just be sure he is not actually a vampire, once they become vampires they can never be redeemed. Carpathian males feel nothing and see no color but they do not kill their prey, they are honorable!  8-)

Duncan

*Winks*

How we gonna do that?  Will the others hunt down the vampire? 

Autumn52

The Carpathian males feed only enough off of one person to sustain themselves. They never kill a person they feed from and they feed from several people per night so as no to leave anyone to weak. They leave a false memory in the mind of the people they feed from to remain undetected.

They kill the vampires but do not feed off of them.

Huggles
Xandi
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

Mr Self Destruct

I'm in.  I like the idea of choosing our partners before hand, as well. 

LadySky