Need legal help.

Started by Kotah, September 27, 2010, 06:57:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kotah

I live in illinois, and work in the nursing field.

I recently filed a harassment thing, the person filed a retribution right back. So now I'm kinda getting punished. I could really use some help on this matter. I fear a possibility of loosing my license.
Finally in a rage we scream at the top of our lungs into this lonely night, begging and pleading they stop sucking up dry.There as guilty as sin, still as they always do when faced with an angry mob: they wipe the blood from their mouths and calm us down with their words of milk and honey. So the play begins, we the once angry mob are now pacified and sit quietly entertained. But the curtain exists far from now becasue their lies have been spoken. My dear, have you forgotten what comes next? This is the part where we change the world.

Zeitgeist

Quote from: Kotah on September 27, 2010, 06:57:46 AM
I live in illinois, and work in the nursing field.

I recently filed a harassment thing, the person filed a retribution right back. So now I'm kinda getting punished. I could really use some help on this matter. I fear a possibility of loosing my license.

Well, keeping in mind I'm neither a lawyer, nor an employment expert, a couple of things occur to me.

1. Can one be fired for filing a harassment complaint? I believe there would be protections in place there.
2. If you're a nurse, you're likely a member of a nursing union, yes? You should be able to go to them for advice, no?
3. If you can afford a lawyer, it might be smart to get one.

Again, this is advice from someone who really has no expertise in such matters, so do keep that in mind :)

HairyHeretic

Is there any free legal aid in the area you live / work? Really this is a situation where you do want to be talking to a professional.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Cyra

Quote from: Zamdrist of Zeitgeist on September 27, 2010, 08:10:38 AM
Well, keeping in mind I'm neither a lawyer, nor an employment expert, a couple of things occur to me.

1. Can one be fired for filing a harassment complaint? I believe there would be protections in place there.
2. If you're a nurse, you're likely a member of a nursing union, yes? You should be able to go to them for advice, no?
3. If you can afford a lawyer, it might be smart to get one.

Again, this is advice from someone who really has no expertise in such matters, so do keep that in mind :)
I'm a paralegal in a northern state not far from you. I'm not allowed to offer legal advice or I could get in trouble with the ABA.  All I can tell ya is that it would be best to talk to an attourney regarding what your options are. There are many attorneys who do the initial consultation free of charge.  If you can't afford an attorney, I would network. Use all the reources that are available to you. That could be anything from county services, neighbors, family, even the churches.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 27, 2010, 08:16:23 AM
Is there any free legal aid in the area you live / work? Really this is a situation where you do want to be talking to a professional.
This is also a great idea, but you may have to meet incomne guidelines. Always talk to an attorney before doing anything.

Vekseid

Trying to google for free/low cost legal aid in Illinois leads to a lot of seo sites and rather little information, unfortunately : /

HockeyGod

If you're concerned about licensure, you could also contact the Board of Nursing (or whichever regulatory Board through which you get your licensure). Losing license is the power of the licensing board in most states and not civil courts. Now, if you're convicted of a crime, often that is automatic investigation and/or suspension.

Check with the Board.

Kotah

Thank you, everyone.

:)

The situation, seemingly, handled itself. I prolly shouldn't have gotten so worked up over it. I prolly should have trusted that because I didn't do it, that they would see that.

Sorry for getting so worked up, and thank you again for the help. :)
Finally in a rage we scream at the top of our lungs into this lonely night, begging and pleading they stop sucking up dry.There as guilty as sin, still as they always do when faced with an angry mob: they wipe the blood from their mouths and calm us down with their words of milk and honey. So the play begins, we the once angry mob are now pacified and sit quietly entertained. But the curtain exists far from now becasue their lies have been spoken. My dear, have you forgotten what comes next? This is the part where we change the world.

Star Safyre

Are you a member of a union?  Most unions offer free or low cost legal representation in your defense regarding employment related issues.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones