Discord

Started by Cynadea, September 03, 2017, 12:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Shout Box *points up*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Al Terego

SithLordOfSnark

Quote from: Cynadea on October 15, 2017, 04:45:07 AM
Sith... A familiar face I didn't know was around here. You joined during my hiatus. *waves*

My knowledge about IRC dates of a few years. Last time I hung on IRC for an extended time was almost 20 years ago. Last I downloaded mIRC, about 5 years ago, it looked like it offered the same options. I was never fond of it, I don't know how much of an upgrade it got in the last couple of years.

I suggested Discord because it's easy to set up a server, and easy to manage. Under the same servers, you can have categories, and multiple rooms available with just a click. It's easy to give people roles (groups) and even to set some rooms to be available only to some groups or make it so guests see only the "general" room, while verified members have access to everything. It has a NSFW setting that's appropriate for this place. There's a tag system that let's you know if someone wants you to pay mind to a comment in particular, even if said comment was done while you were offline. It shows images and gifs as more than just a link. It has voice chat, which could remove the need for mumble altogether. There's a friend list that makes private chat easier and lets you see who on there is online. There's a phone app that works decently well...

I'm sure I'm forgetting something...

Well hello there. :)
Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

SweetSerenade

I have to admit, I am all over the prospect of a Discord Server for E. I have found it very useful, and the ability to choose what rooms give alerts has been a godsend. Just, heavens help me the system for Discord is so much smoother than anything else. I can't even /remember/ my Mumble login - and I think I have to set up something new entirely because of the fact that I moved to a new system since then. xD

Bakemono Shiki RP(Lovely Siggy Layout is thanks to Amaris)

Missy

Personally I always found mumble to be acceptable, but then I don't care for pretty looks over function (the way many people do).

Also: I thought E wasn't going to do discord because of them selling info to others or some such as that.

Well . . . though anymore everything is for sale though right?

Al Terego

Al Terego

Vekseid

That was more of an issue when it was a question of how the hell are they going to monetize.

Now there's that, and I'm planning on having my integrations be (somewhat) platform agnostic. So if something happens to Discord it should be a matter of finding or building another platform rather than being dependent on them.

Al Terego

MagicalPen

The IRC room can be pretty quiet, but most people hang out in the ElliquiyLounge part of it (for approved members only). I don't even log into the regular part of the the IRC anymore.

The E-Mumble was dead last time I checked. People moved to Discord but seem to be a pretty elite group since the invitation wasn't given to everyone. Or at least that was the last I heard the last time I logged into Mumble. I don't bother anymore since no one was ever on it the last few times I joined.

I use discord for my gaming. I am not sure I would ever RP over Discord, but I think it could be a good alternative to Mumble.

The IRC is nice as its not voice based and I know a lot of people (for various reasons) don't want their voice being heard.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Al Terego

Quote from: MagicalPen on October 25, 2017, 09:01:29 AM
The IRC room can be pretty quiet, but most people hang out in the ElliquiyLounge part of it (for approved members only).

How does one get approved?

Haruki

I just want to say, the OP brought this up at a great time, as I try to rework my O/O thread and get my contacts in order.

Let's face it, the IMs and chats of old are all dinosaurs or discontinued (ICQ, IRC, YIM, AIM; which I just found out will be gone Dec 15), and MSN; basically Skype's IM features now), are old news.  It's all Discord, Kik and other 'app' type IM services now.

(Aside: Understandably, those 'apps' are accessed via a phone or wi-fi network (in home or public) on a phone or tablet.  This brings up the trouble of identifying info being let out there, which no one wants out there obviously.  I can see why such changes are slow in coming.  It's a complex mess.)

I was always wondering when some updates would be coming in this area, like as far as what contact info can be allowed.  I have a PM/offsite thread, and also want to update my O/O thread with these newer modern means of contact.
Always Seeking New Players!!
Want to write with me?  Please see the following below:
=====
My Introduction
O/Os & Lists -- Thread | Profile | Character Profiles | Canon Cravings
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====
Eep!! Who's Yanking Me Away by the Ponytail?! (A&As)

Oniya

The big restriction we have on offsite contact info is that it can not be put in request threads other than the 'Non Forum Request Board', or anywhere that non-members can see it.  Signatures are fine, O/Os are fine, PMs are fine.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Haruki

Quote from: Oniya on October 25, 2017, 04:15:08 PM
The big restriction we have on offsite contact info is that it can not be put in request threads other than the 'Non Forum Request Board', or anywhere that non-members can see it.  Signatures are fine, O/Os are fine, PMs are fine.

This is a HUGE help clarifying this for me (and others who are reading this thread and are new).  Thanks much.  :)
=====
My Introduction
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====

RedPhoenix

Non-members can't see signatures?

Huh. Learn something new every day.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Haruki

Quote from: RedPhoenix on October 25, 2017, 04:49:54 PM
Non-members can't see signatures?

Huh. Learn something new every day.

Yeah, that surprised me too.  That or this must have just been implemented recently and I didn't catch wind of it.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Kye

It's been that way for years.  Just not something that comes up in conversation I suppose.

Sain

Discord is rather awesome. It's probably not gonna last forever, but all software gets old eventually so might still be nice to use it while it's the best thing around.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

The Dark Raven

Quote from: Al Terego on October 25, 2017, 09:47:32 AM
How does one get approved?

Hop in to IRC and we can take care of that :)

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Sain on October 26, 2017, 01:15:23 PM
Discord is rather awesome. It's probably not gonna last forever, but all software gets old eventually so might still be nice to use it while it's the best thing around.
To be fair, unlike most similar services which are either 'fire and forget' or open platform and rely on users to improve and build up the service, Discord is actively updating and adding new features on a near weekly basis. If they can sustain their development cycle, and continue to modernize, i dont see any reason that discord wouldnt continue on into the foreseeable future.

Sure, its gonna die eventually, but as long as they can stay on top of new trends that will be a very long way off indeed.

Most of the time services like these die because someone new came along and offered something better and people migrate away over time. But with Discord they can simply add the new trick to their existing platform, and as long as they can maintain critical mass of users, it will maintain its popularity.

EnchantedDream218

What do people on here mostly use: Discord or Mumble? I seem to go to Mumble sometimes and don't see many people there anymore so I got rid of it due not seeing many people around but I do miss voice chatting with others.

Should I use Discord now or just the shout box?

My List=)

"True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about and few have seen." ~Francois de La Rochefoucauld

SithLordOfSnark

I literally only use Discord. I left AIM awhile ago since they're shutting down and I  am never on Skype, so Discord is the only messenger I use these days.
Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

Reno

The big thing stopping me from switching over to Discord is that there doesn't seem to be any smooth way on the PC client to choose between multiple identities (and it's gonna be a snowy day in Miami before I put it on my phone!).

Al Terego

Quote from: Reno on December 09, 2017, 04:20:27 PM
The big thing stopping me from switching over to Discord is that there doesn't seem to be any smooth way on the PC client to choose between multiple identities

You don't have to use the PC client.  I use the web client and you can log in to it with a any registered username.  You can also open several in "private" windows.
I personally use Pidgin with a Discord plugin.  It's a bit raw but it works.

Quote from: Reno on December 09, 2017, 04:20:27 PM
(and it's gonna be a snowy day in Miami before I put it on my phone!).

Ahem.

Reno

My privacy extensions make using the web interface hit or miss but the idea of a pidgin plugin seems like the perfect compromise, since that's what I was looking to  replace anyway, thanks!

And none of those events were in Miami. :)