Scientology faces lawsuit

Started by Neroon, April 10, 2010, 04:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neroon

I read this as I breakfasted this morning.  It's refreshing to see the lawsuit being aimed in the direction of the scientologists rather than in the reverse direction.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/7571678/Scientologists-sue-organisation-for-1-million-for-slave-wages.html
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy

Sabby

The only reason Scientology is still around is the same reason Jack Thompson was a lawyer for so long. Its not getting the dirt you need on them, its sorting out the ever growing mountain of it .

Trieste

I find myself amused that the top Google ad at the bottom of that article was for Scientology.org.

A week ago, a federal judge in Los Angeles dismissed part of Mrs Headley's suit, siding with the Scientologists' contention that she was exempt from wage requirements because she was part of a religious order.

This caught my attention. I suppose it depends on the order, but if you think of nuns as an example, then I can see the conundrum. I don't know how it goes for most orders, but the order of nuns that taught in my school growing up devoted their lives to the church and eschewed payment. From what I understand, the Church provided for them so that they could do God's work where it was needed. They weren't paid extra, but they didn't expect to. Their whole lives were, essentially, donated to charity. And yes, sometimes they spent 18, 20 hours a day devoted to whatever they were assigned to, because God's work didn't wait. If they were subject to standard wage and labor laws, it would bankrupt the very society they are trying to help.

I understand the opportunity for abuse, but I'm not really sure how one can fix it in cases like the Church of Scientology (or other cases of abuse) without decimating the cases that actually use it for good.

RubySlippers

Well nuns get a stipend per year divided over twelve month to allow them some money for hobbies and other interests. My aunt with an order gets $3000 a year and is in a teacing order or simply $250 a month as they set it an average days wage for a secular laborer per week to allow for them to enjoy their free time. Its considered healthy they have interests and can spend recreational time from their duties and religious obligations. I find that quite suitable. They paid her to go to college and on to earn her masters degree and covers her other needs however so she really doesn't need a great deal of money.

In this case they have the freedom of religion and were members of a relgious order and the faith can set any rules it likes pretty much. Its assumed if they didn't like the situation they could just leave.

Trieste

Quote from: RubySlippers on April 13, 2010, 12:48:21 PM
Well nuns get a stipend per year divided over twelve month to allow them some money for hobbies and other interests. My aunt with an order gets $3000 a year and is in a teacing order or simply $250 a month as they set it an average days wage for a secular laborer per week to allow for them to enjoy their free time. Its considered healthy they have interests and can spend recreational time from their duties and religious obligations. I find that quite suitable. They paid her to go to college and on to earn her masters degree and covers her other needs however so she really doesn't need a great deal of money.

In this case they have the freedom of religion and were members of a relgious order and the faith can set any rules it likes pretty much. Its assumed if they didn't like the situation they could just leave.

Er, yes. Sorry, by eschewed payment, I probably should have been clearer and said I was referring to conventional wages. The nuns at my school did get a small stipend (there was one of them that had an absolute passion for bowling and she had a very pretty bowling ball) but they did not get wages, salary, or per-hour compensation.

Quote from: RubySlippers on April 13, 2010, 12:48:21 PM

"If you don't like it, find another religion" is no more a good excuse for religious orders than "If you don't like it, find another job" is for employers who are treating their employees fairly. They have a responsibility to look out for the well-being of those they're overseeing.

Not only that, but this couple is alleging that they could not easily leave.

Oniya

Quote from: Trieste on April 13, 2010, 12:53:46 PM
Not only that, but this couple is alleging that they could not easily leave.

This is a common allegation from many former Scientologists.  From what I read, when the husband started showing signs of 'straying from the fold', he was swept up and taken off to what amounted to re-programming.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

RubySlippers

I'm just saying unless they can prove illegal activities and that would need to include false imprisonment, until then its as volunatray as being a Mormon or an Amish person both which have ample social pressures to stay in the fold. Most courts would likely see this issue as a simple matter of staying in the faith or shunning and the latter is not considered or is illegal even if it is very cruel.

Huginn

I hear that the Mormon/LDS faith has a lot of pressure to stay in the fold. Well, I honestly don't know how it is in Utah but having grown up "In the faith" I have never felt pressure to stay. I have not practiced in over 5 years, I may get three visits a year being "checked up on" And still have all the friends I had made.

(Sorry know this is off topic, but I have seen that floating around a lot recently)

Oniya

There's being pressured, and there's being shipped off physically to a seminar intended to re-indoctrinate you. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

And being chased down by security for leaving. I assume anyone who actually escapes ends up on their 'Fair Game' list, which is an absolutely disgusting practice... about the only protection these poor people have right now is going to come from the publicity of all this. If they had simply gone home and decided to start anew, they'de disappear. It's happened before.

Just a quick note, for anyone that isn't familiar with Fair Game... it gives a Scientologist permission to harass, stalk and even murder any opposing party to the church. A lot of people that attend the protests are followed home, and once they have their address and face recognized, they can end up on the list. From that point on, it can ruin your life.

Trieste

I assumed they went after the publicity for that reason.