The Scourge of Shadowlore Keep (Councillors win!)

Started by Remiel, June 06, 2011, 03:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marguerite

Marguerite looked at the list and then voted for Xandi but kept her eyes on FoamWeber knowing he could be an enemy to the innocents.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Aiden

"Is that what we have resorted to? Petty accusations to send another of our fellow nobles to their deaths? Ryven, let us not forget you where along the few who voted to kill one of our only hopes of surviving this ordeal. Do you recall? Our lady Rottenaim?"
He looked over the scrolls he had been taking over the last few days, along with a list of potential werewolves and vampires.
"Among those who voted for her, nearly half of them have ended up dead and now...that leaves a few of you. I am accusing you of being a vampire Ryven, what say you?"
Duke Aiden said with a menacing countenance falling across his face.

Beguile's Mistress

There was a certain level of panic that was quite evident among the other Counselors and Mistress Beguile, off in a quiet corner, watched the comings and goings, the by-play and asides, the accusations and counter-accusations.  It was all so confusing. 

She sighed and pushed herself to her feet and walked to the center of the chamber, her feet dragging and her hands clasped at her waist.  As before when she voted with the majority she had been right and now, after drawing a deep breath to steady herself she spoke softly but distinctly. 

"Xandi."

Remiel

Final Tally, Day Four:

Xandi (7): Imogen, Ryven, Valerian, FoamWeber, Mithlomwen, Marguerite, Beguile's Mistress
Imogen (1): Xandi
FoamWeber (1): Josietta
Ryven (1): Aiden

Did not vote: Moirae, Rhedyn

Once again the council seemed to be mostly in agreement.  Although there were some holdouts, the majority of those who voted believed that Lady Xandi was the most culpable, the least innocent. 

And sure enough, as the King gave the command for the guards to take her to the executioner's block, she suddenly transformed into a terrible beast! Flesh rippled and writhed, hair spouted like furze on smooth limbs, and her cloying smile turned into a terrible, fangéd snarl.  With incredible ease, she swatted the guardsmen aside.

Fortunately, however, the King was once again ready.  Crossbowmen shot her with bolts of silver, and although the werewolf snarled and howled, it fell--for, as anyone knows, those afflicted with the curse of lycanthropy are immune to all wooden and iron weapons, but are highly vulnerable to anything made of the silver metal.  Down came the axe, and the terrible beast was no more. 

Night has fallen.  Vampires and werewolves, I need your targets for the night.  Werewolf Hunter, I need your target as well.  As always, any councillors who have yet to use their charms of scrying may do so at any time.

Ryven

Quote from: Aiden on July 13, 2011, 10:19:17 PM
"Is that what we have resorted to? Petty accusations to send another of our fellow nobles to their deaths? Ryven, let us not forget you where along the few who voted to kill one of our only hopes of surviving this ordeal. Do you recall? Our lady Rottenaim?"
He looked over the scrolls he had been taking over the last few days, along with a list of potential werewolves and vampires.
"Among those who voted for her, nearly half of them have ended up dead and now...that leaves a few of you. I am accusing you of being a vampire Ryven, what say you?"
Duke Aiden said with a menacing countenance falling across his face.

"The few?  If you're going to accuse me, you might as well accuse Beguile's Mistress, Valerian, Mithlomwen, and Moirae as well as they also voted for Lady Rottenaim."  He said with a smirk.

"I do find it fascinating though that you are among the few that decided not to vote for Xandi who we know now to be a werewolf.  Granted, she never came out and said it, but she did talk the hard sell by trying to hide behind logic and misdirection.  That didn't really make her any less suspect.  Are you feeling a little remorse at having to see one of your brethren put to death?  What say you, Duke Aiden?"  He said with another smirk before turning and heading off to bed.

Remiel

A new day, and with it another victim.  Or was there?  As all the Councillors reported to the Great Hall, one by one, the King was relieved and surprised to see that no one had fallen during the night.

"This is an encouraging sign, my lords and ladies," Gregorii announced.  "The monsters that plague us are now in hiding, too frightened to prey on us any longer.  Let us take heart, and purge ourselves of the rest of these foul creatures."

The day phase has begun.  All votes are due at the end of Thursday, July 21.

Josietta

Lady Josietta made her way into the hall the following morning. She sighed in relief as it appeared all were with them but the words of Ryven had haunted her the night before enough that she went to her journals and prayed for some sort of answer to it all. She could only come up with one person who made her question their motives.

"I have deliberated and prayed for an answer but something bothers me. While Aiden may be at fault here, I have to question another as well. Ryven you have always been willing to speak up and accuse but when the finger points at you, you are overly defensive. Is this because you are guilty? You voted to have lady rottenaim killed and we know she was the vampire hunter. You also voted against another when we all voted to kill Lord Starlequin who we all found to be the vampire friend. When it came time to lynch Geeklet you went along with it, only because you knew there was no other choice given that Lord Mayerling had spoken out before his untimely death. And now only this last time has your voting been spot on. And probably because you knew that Xandi was not a fellow vampire.

I regret that I did not see Xandi for what she was. She told me she was not a vampire and I believed her without thinking she may have been a creature of destruction. I have prayed and gone through contrition for my lack in foresight there.

However I cannot ignore this just as I did not ignore my intuitions against Lord Starlequin. I have to look at you Count Ryven for things just don't add up for me and my faith leads me to point a finger at you."

The blonde sat down then as her fingers toyed with the rosary that hung from her belt. She silently prayed for those who were lost and thanked the heavens that she had her tokens of survival and faith.

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Mithlomwen

Quote from: Ryven on July 14, 2011, 01:37:03 AM
"The few?  If you're going to accuse me, you might as well accuse Beguile's Mistress, Valerian, Mithlomwen, and Moirae as well as they also voted for Lady Rottenaim."  He said with a smirk.

"I do find it fascinating though that you are among the few that decided not to vote for Xandi who we know now to be a werewolf.  Granted, she never came out and said it, but she did talk the hard sell by trying to hide behind logic and misdirection.  That didn't really make her any less suspect.  Are you feeling a little remorse at having to see one of your brethren put to death?  What say you, Duke Aiden?"  He said with another smirk before turning and heading off to bed.

Mith found herself listening to Ryven and couldn't help but agree with many of his points and wonder if Aiden might in fact have something to hide. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

FoamWeber

Lady Weber stood up, filled with purpose.
"I believe it is now clear who one of the guilty ones is, at least. Lady Josietta, your actions have been suspicious as of late. You were one of the few who didn't vote for Xandi, who turned out to be a werewolf; instead you chose to vote for someone with a flawless record so far. I believe that this is because you are a werewolf as well."

Ryven

"I too agree that things aren't adding up though I am not the one who is guilty here.  It is my belief that you, Lady Josietta are one of the monsters."  He said firmly.

Josietta

Josietta rose a brow at the two of them and shook her head some. Her long blonde hair stayed in its place firmly up into a high bun on the top of her head.  There was only a few things left to say then as most often when crowds rioted things did not go well for most involved. She could only proclaim her innocents and hope they listened.

"Trying to turn the attentions onto me is not a very good way of clearing your name Count Ryven. You clearly are not denying that you are one of the blood suckers who have been attacking the innocents of late. I on the other hand was attacked last night by one of your kind, it was too dark to see who it was, but thankfully for my belief in my God and my charms I was spared. I count myself lucky to be here today. And Lady Foamweber I believe I already apologized for my misconceptions of Xandi and how she misled me. Are you against me because maybe one of your own is in peril? If any one of you should wish to see the next day, then do the right thing and do not take heed to this misconceptions. Count Ryven is the true evil here and I believe he may have Foamweber under his thumb. I will say nothing more on the matter for anything else is trite if you will not listen now, you will not listen later. God will punish the dark ones and the ones who slay innocents."

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

FoamWeber

"I really don't think it's necessary for me to declare another defense," Lady Weber replied. "We have an intelligent group of people here, as concerned with the recent deaths as I am. They are capable of seeing the truth for themselves."

Ryven

"I don't have to turn the attention on you.  You're doing a far better job than I could do myself, and to address your accusation, why would I vote for my own kind if I were a vampire?  It seems quite counterproductive to me.  You on the other hand could not even bear to vote for your own brethren as you so demonstrated with yesterday's vote.  Tell me, Lady Josi, how did it feel to watch one of your wicked kind die?"  He said as he lounged in a chair with a cup of tea.

desert ashes

Fearful of the creatures, Moirae refused to leave the sanctuary of the chapel and had instead sent a note in hir place.  It arrived via the chapel's messenger and read:

I think I am trying to be murdered.  My only safe haven is here.  My suspicions are with the Lady Josietta.

Peace and life be with all of us.

Upon reading the message, the boy made his bow and scampered back to the chapel. 
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

Josietta

"My own kind? Why do you think I am a werewolf instead of a vampire? Is it because you are a vampire and know that only one other of your people is left standing next to you? I already explained why I didn't vote for Xandi. I fear I was at the chapel when Lady Foam gave her plea of innocence and it was too late to change my vote by then. I do not feel sorry for Xandi's death for it means another monster, like you, has been taken off this plane to keep the innocents safe."

She glanced at Marguerite, Imogen, and Beguiles Mistress.

"I don't think any of you would like to see another innocent life taken. I implore you look at what I have to say and see that Ryven is the true monster here. I have done naught but pray for all your safety and serve our King as he wishes. Lady Mith, I realize your suspicions on Aiden but I ask that you look at Ryven for what he is. I am almost 100% positive he is one of the blood sucking monsters. I am willing to stick my neck out for the chopping block if I am wrong on that. I only ask you trust my instincts on this and help me rid this kingdom of that evil."

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Valerian

Val listened to the arguments in silence, watching the others as they discussed the matter, sometimes heatedly.  And who could blame them?  Their very lives were at stake, the entire court in danger.  Some excellent points were being raised, and it was difficult to choose among them.  The arguments against Lord Ryven and Lord Aiden were quite convincing.  And of course they might easily both be guilty.  It was highly doubtful that the two men were working together in any way, but they did not need to be in league with each other to both be evil.  That both made the task of finding the villains more difficult, and helped to save them, for if both groups found a way to work together, there would be no hope of stopping them.

"Lord Aiden," she finally said, reluctantly.  She had a horror of mistakenly dooming another, as all the remaining innocents must also have, and this time there was no even remotely clear choice.  But as much as she disliked voting this blindly, it seemed worse to do nothing.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Aiden

Quote from: Ryven on July 14, 2011, 01:37:03 AM

"Let's one thing clear baker, I suspect all of those you have mentioned but may only accuse one of you at a time. I am merely trying to keep a level head in these troubling times."
He said his final say before the night came to an end.

The Next Day

The next day the Duke entered and took his seat, hearing the accusations fly about.
"Lady Mithlomwen, have you anything to say on the pressing matters plaguing the kingdom?

Imogen

Imogen listened and pondered quietly for a long time, trying to remember the events as they had come to pass. There had been suspicious activities by several, she realised, but while their voting had condemned innocents before, another had gone just one step further.

Not only had Ryven started out voting neutral, he had changed his vote when Lord Starlequin was in danger. The next day he had been quick to place the blame on Duke Aiden, trying to divert attention again from Starlequin. While she wasn't sure at all that she could trust Josietta, Imogen agreed that Lord Ryven 's actions warranted closer inspection.

[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Remiel

Current Voting, as it stands:

Josietta(4): FoamWeber, Ryven, Moirae, Marguerite
Aiden(3): Mithlomwen, Valerian, Imogen
Ryven(1): Josietta
Mithlomwen(1): Aiden

Yet to vote: Rhedyn, Beguile's Mistress

Reminder:  All votes are due at the end of Thursday, July 21.

Marguerite

Marguerite looked at the cast who were voting and noticed Josietta kept voting away from the group no matter if the person was found to be guilty. "I am sorry Josietta, but you are suspicious in every way you vote and you cast doubt on Ryven. Ryven who voted the last few times for individuals who are indeed guilty. If you can honestly try to throw mud on the male who in the beginning you saw as an ally, then I hope I am wrong and you are no killer."
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Josietta

Yes I did consider him an ally. But there were others who were thought to be such but turned out to be manipulators. I have only made a mistake in my voting once. Each of my votes have been done for the good of our kingdom and I have helped to rid us of those evils each time one was found out. The only time I made a mistake was this last time. I cannot change that but i do hope you see that you are wrong about Ryven. It may be that he stabs you in the back later when you least expect it, and I do not wish to see that. I only warn you with my instincts and what I feel is right. If me making a simple mistake in a single vote makes me a monster then so be it. I will meet my death with a clear conscious. Just realize how many of you are left and how many of them are. It may not be an even match as far as we know."

She had first thought she should just be quiet after speaking her piece but if she didn't try to show them otherwise that their votes mattered and that it was up to them to make sure the monsters were taken out. If she failed in that, then she failed in her lot in life.

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Imogen

They were rapidly becoming outnumbered, and Imogen started to fear that their only hope lay in the possibility of werewolves and vampires clawing out eachother's throats rather than feasting upon the innocent. The loyal councillors had little to go on, not knowing who to trust. Sure, they might have suspicions but trust was a precious commodity not easily extended. And yet, it was the division between them that would be their undoing.

"I don't trust Ryven or Moirae." Imogen spoke up. "And I am still convinced that we should vote for Lord Ryven. His actions have been suspicious from early on. I also find it worrying that he is teaming up with Moirae whose timing for votes has earned my distrust as well. Their fanatical pursuit of Josietta is alarming, if only for the lack of doubt that plagues so many of us. I cannot change what is happening alone, and thus I will change my vote to Aiden who I am not too certain about either."

[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Ryven

"Lady Imogen, I must say one thing.  I have voted for both vampire and werewolf.  I do admit early on that my vote for an innocent was cast, but so many others made that mistake as well.  I assure you, I only vote for what is in the best interest of us all, and that is ridding this kingdom of these monsters.  If that is not enough for you, then I can say or do nothing more to convince you of my innocence."  He said plainly.

Imogen

Imogen nodded. "I know, milord, but we must take into account that the lady Geeklet was a lost cause once Lord Mayerling's innocence was proven. In that case, if we look more closely at your voting, then we have you not only -voting- for lady Rottenaim, but doing so at a pivotal moment in the vote. In all honesty, Sir, you saved a vampire and doomed one who could saved us. Not only this, you refused to vote for Lord Starlequin afterwards as well. Later on, you were glad to join us in voting for lady Xandi, but that could be easily explained considering who you saved before."
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Remiel

Final Tally, Day Five:

Josietta(4): FoamWeber, Ryven, Moirae, Marguerite
Aiden(3): Mithlomwen, Valerian, Imogen
Ryven(1): Josietta
Mithlomwen(1): Aiden

Did Not Vote: Rhedyn, Beguile's Mistress

This time, unlike the day before, the voting was very close, with only a single vote having the potential to save a man or send him to his death.  Rhedyn and Beguile's Mistress both remained quiet, perhaps confused or unsure whom to vote for; in any event, when the ballots were tallied, it was Josietta who had a date with the executioner's axe. 

Barely had the verdict been rendered, however, before she bolted for the exit, shifting and changing as she did so.  By the time she reached the archway to the grand hall she was covered in fur and loping on four legs, a werewolf just like Xandi before her.  The king's guard gave chase, but the monster had a clear lead; it looked like it was going to make good its escape.

As it reached the keep gate, however, it suddenly drew up short, snarling in extreme frustration.  The portcullis was down, the gate barred; it would take many men to open it.  The wolf crouched, as if preparing to leap over the wall; but not even a werewolf could clear the ancient barricade.  It tried again and again, every time failing, until the Guard caught up with it and cut it down with silver-tipped blades. 

Night has fallen.  Vampires and werewolf, I need your targets for the night.  Werewolf Hunter, I need your target as well.  As always, any councillors who have yet to use their charms of scrying may do so at any time.