News:

Main Menu

Current fashion

Started by Beorning, July 16, 2014, 03:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Want to talk about it? Let's talk about it.  ;)

I *hate* the trends in popular in the last few years. Almost every woman seems to wear leggins now... or, at least, extremely narrow pants. Meanwhile, the tops are loose, asymetrical and often look like rags. Personally, I hate this modern female silhoutte of narrow pants and very loose, baggy tops. I liked it in early 2000s, when it was the other way around: baggy pants and form-fitting tops. Women looked very nice back then. Now, not so much  >:(

Plus, the early-90s-esque small shirt collars made their return! I hate them! Collars should be wide (not 70s wide, but still...). And baby-like, roundish collars are back, too... And what's absolutely worst, some of the women wear ribbons at their necks! Yuck!

When I'll back the King For The WorldTM, I'll make sure all the current fashion goes away!  ;D

jouzinka

What you hate other person might dig. ;)

Regardless, I would like to point out that leggins are rarely taking part on the catwalk. Dense tights yes, but rarely leggins.

The problem is, most people don't really care what goes on the runway and wear what is offered and what is comfortable for them. Leggins might be a local fad. I am seeing so many girls in them here. (>.<)

Fashion, in its essence, isn't anything else than a form of expressing yourself, a form of saying "This is who I am" without saying a word. Whether you are a Gentleman, whether you are a true Lady, whether you call yourself a geek, you can get all that across with the choices you make towards your clothing and general appearance, either in the "in your face" way or a much more subtle.

Problem is, behind the iron curtain this culture of taking care of one's appearance wasn't particularly nurtured - it was actually frowned upon. Any kind of standing out was punished one way or another and clothing was no exception. So people adopted this "whatever falls out of the wardrobe" way of dressing up and lost any kind of style or taste they or their parents might have had.

Anyway, luckily for you, leggins aren't part of this year's runway, nor were they last year.

So hopefully the trend is dying. I hope it's a quick yet painful death. >:)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Beorning

I don't think leggins are a local fad... Back here, many women wear them.

(BTW. I'm not sure what English term is proper here: leggins? tights? Maybe I'm using a wrong word...)

Anyway... when I speak of fashion, I speak of things normal people wear, not the stuff of the runways... I know nothing of runways. But I look at people when I'm out and what I see annoys me  :-)

Hmmm. I wish I was better at finding pictures. I would show some examples of style choices that are popular these days and which I hate...

Here is one example. This type of collar should be banned! It *will* be banned!!! Bwahaha!!!  ;D

Early 2000s, come back!!!

Inkidu

I kind of like the fashion of today.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

jouzinka

Well... what you see on the runways (especially Paris, Milan and New York)  is fashion, the trend-setting factor.

What you see on the streets is socio-locally diluted to suit the locale - presented by the local industry insiders like stylists (in fashion-focused mags) and also local designers. Some trends die hard in some parts of the world (or even worldwide). Ask any makeup artist about a blue eyeshadow (but take good cover). ;D

And leggins are leggins - they are tight pants, made of an elastic and dense material and they end around ankle level - and tights are tights - they are usually made of a lot less dense polyester and they cover the entire leg from toes to waist.

Edit: And that is a nice romantic t-shirt. Why ban it? :(

Beorning

Quote from: jouzinka on July 16, 2014, 04:44:52 PM
Well... what you see on the runways (especially Paris, Milan and New York)  is fashion, the trend-setting factor.

What you see on the streets is socio-locally diluted to suit the locale - presented by the local industry insiders like stylists (in fashion-focused mags) and also local designers. Some trends die hard in some parts of the world (or even worldwide). Ask any makeup artist about a blue eyeshadow (but take good cover). ;D

Okay, then let me clarify: I'm talking about the fashion as seen on the streets and in normal shops.

Now, tell me about the blue eyeshadow *ducks*

And leggins are leggins - they are tight pants, made of an elastic and dense material and they end around ankle level - and tights are tights - they are usually made of a lot less dense polyester and they cover the entire leg from toes to waist.

Right, thanks. So, I'm talking about leggins, then.

Edit: And that is a nice romantic t-shirt. Why ban it? :(

Because of the collar. It's ugly  ;D I've always hated this shape of collar... I can't look at it *shudders*

jouzinka

What you see on the streets is a result of compromise between what the stores offer and what the people can afford.

The problem with what the stores offer is that it's confection - it's designed to fit an averaged individual, but the higher the weight, the bigger the deviation from the average and the harder it is to find a thing that fits.

The solution would be to go to local tailor who would be able to work with your proportions and your budget. Problem is, that budget is never the chain-store trousers, but unlike chain store trousers these will not fall apart after two seasons, but who has time to research a tailor and go there for one or two fittings?

Nobody.

So leggins are cheap and they are comfortable.

Unfortunately, they only look good on girls/women with BMI under 19 AND nicely shaped legs.

And we're back to expressing one's self through what a person wears - showing off your assets and concealing the imperfections.

To change the fashion you first need to change the mindset.

Caeli

That's a Peter Pan collar.  I don't think it suits everybody, but I think some girls/women wear it really well, and it has a very soft, romantic look.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Beorning

I don't know. I've hated this kind of collar since I was a child...

rou

Quote from: Beorning on July 16, 2014, 03:59:16 PM
Almost every woman seems to wear leggins now... or, at least, extremely narrow pants. Meanwhile, the tops are loose, asymetrical and often look like rags. Personally, I hate this modern female silhoutte of narrow pants and very loose, baggy tops.

Sounds exactly like my favorite style. All my characters dress this way. I would as well, if I had the money. ;)

// A&A: July 17, 2022 //
“succubus angel” — anonymous

Stella

Quote from: Caeli on July 16, 2014, 05:51:16 PM
That's a Peter Pan collar.  I don't think it suits everybody, but I think some girls/women wear it really well, and it has a very soft, romantic look.

I love Peter Pan collars, especially on little shift dresses. It's such a sweet look.

Beorning

Too sweet! Too soft! And too retro!  :o

Did I mention that I hate 1920s / 1930s fashion? And these Peter Pan collars look like something out of that era...

Inkidu

Well you've got about another 40 years when the fashions of the new aughts rolls around again... for whatever that's worth. It wasn't really better than the current trend. .I don't even know what to make of it. It was more like toned down late 90s with some 60s revival.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Beorning

Quote from: Inkidu on July 17, 2014, 07:05:54 AM
Well you've got about another 40 years when the fashions of the new aughts rolls around again... for whatever that's worth. It wasn't really better than the current trend.

Oh, it was better!  ;D

For instance, there was more of straight knee-length skirts around. Also, I think that more women wore boots... elegant boots, specifically.

Male-ish dress shirts were more popular... and they were often paired with sleeves sweaters. That was a lovely combination!

I don't even know what to make of it. It was more like toned down late 90s with some 60s revival.

60s revival? I don't quite see that... Any examples?

Inkidu

I think Flare pants (ie bell-bottoms) came back in the early 2000s. Some other hits and trends from the sixties. Though I was in middle and high school at the time which tend to have different fashion circles than adult women's fashion.

Beorning

True, pants with somewhat-flared bottoms were in vogue in the 2000s. Another nice idea gone!

Inkidu

Quote from: Beorning on July 17, 2014, 10:21:26 AM
True, pants with somewhat-flared bottoms were in vogue in the 2000s. Another nice idea gone!
Like I said they'll be back in about 40 years.