News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

A Fool's Errand

Started by Ringtail69, December 18, 2011, 10:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apple of Eris

No problem, I don't mind waiting, but I do appreciate the update. :)
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Chrystal

Oh and in case anyone is wondering, I have been asked to be assistant GM, and have accepted.

This means while Ring does the fun plot-based stuff and bounces ideas off me in PMs, I get to do all the boring admin stuff like PM-ing people to check they are still in and posting updates here to let people know what's happening.

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Ringtail69

and i appreciate you all the more for doing such things chrystal, thank you a lot

Chrystal

Okay, here's an interesting thought...

Names convey power!

QuoteMy name is Rose Angmar, although I think I'm much better known as Skylark.
QuoteSenrathis Valore, at your service.

Compare with

Quotenames Atmos
QuoteLeithanien

Compare with:

Quoteyou can call me firehart
QuoteYou may call me Niomah. It is the name I am most often called

I think it is in the book (and possibly the film) Erragon where the quote is made: "To name a thing is to gain power over a thing". This is surprisingly true in reality.

If you are in a crowded room and you hear your name called, what do you do? You stop what you are doing and look to see who called you! That is the exercise of power over you by one who knows and uses your name.

If you give me your IM login name I can then use it to contact you when I want. If you give me your street address and telephone number I have even more power over you!

Where magic is concerned, to insert someone's true name in a spell is to ensure that spell is correctly targeted.

Our druid and magic user may feel they have nothing to fear from giving out their names. Hwever "Atmos" is most likely a nick-name or a first part of a longer name. The same probably applies to Leithanien. Elves rarely have a name consisting of a single word and their common name would be the part with the least power. As for Rose... I'm guessing that she's a cocky human who doesn't have much dealing with magic and actually wants her name spread about.

Rings character actually gives us a pseudonym and mine says it is the name she is most often called!

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

who149

Its seems like the days I can't get on for long periods of time, are the day most people post. Just a funny thought.

And interesting observation about names Chrystal.
Been away, now i'm back. Updated based off changes in my life.

Ons and offs!

Chrystal

It's something you find a lot of in fantasy. "To name a thing is to control a thing". These days, with billions of people on the planet, your full true name consists of a lot more than just a first and last name given you by your parents. That is the least significant part of your name. The part you tell everyone. To this we add your email address, your IM address. Your postal address, your lan d line and your mobile numbers. We can even add your social security number / national insurance number and your car's numberplate as these can be used to identify and contact you.

Controlling your movements can be as simple as getting you to turn around, or as complex as completely stealing your identity.

The latter is effectively what can happen in a magical story to the character who tells everyone his/her name!

Apple of Eris

Also keep in mind that the her true name might simply be unpronounceable in the human tongue :)
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Ringtail69

interesting thought there chrystal and that is why most of my characters have a nick name as it was like firehart. the whole name thing is a practice i believe in, even in the real world. i use different names around different people and each name means something different and thus i act different. with my high school name i normally act my perviest, if my middle name is used then i either get angry or i get cowardly depends on the situation, if my first and last name are used then i am respectable and so on and so forth.

but basicly its all about how much power over you that you give to other people, you give a little and you will get a little.

grovercjuk

Are we moving onto the ship or do people wish to do intermediate scenes?

SeriousMoonlight

Quote from: Chrystal on May 14, 2012, 04:55:30 AMAs for Rose... I'm guessing that she's a cocky human who doesn't have much dealing with magic and actually wants her name spread about.

Interesting (and accurate) observation! I think the most Rose knows about magic is probably "when I put on these special boots my footsteps don't make noise, neat!". She probably identifies more with the thief alias 'Skylark' than her real name, though.

Also, sorry for the silence while all that was going on in the thread - there was a family emergency and I had to leave town for a few days on short notice. I'm back now, though!
Hello, I'm Moon!
My preferred pronouns are they/them/their/theirs/themself! Thank you!
ONs and OFFs + Request Thread

Chrystal

Quote from: grovercjuk on May 17, 2012, 03:17:01 PM
Are we moving onto the ship or do people wish to do intermediate scenes?

I'd be happy enough moving straight to the ship.

I do, however, think that our group should elect someone to lead them on this quest - unless the Captain is planning on coming too?

grovercjuk

Shall we decide the leader in OOC or play it out in the RP and let our characters decide?

Ringtail69

having some npc would probably be the smart thing to lead the group but picking the leader while role playing would be more fun.

Apple of Eris

Since when do adventurers ever do the smart thing?

But in play is best.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Chrystal

*chuckles* Apple, I love the way your elf puts the guard captain in his place... "Put up or shut up!"

Niomah is going to second that.

Apple of Eris

Thank you, thank you. Sure easy for him to talk when he's staying behind!

You think we should make an OOC to get this out of the Wanted pages?

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

SeriousMoonlight

I think that's definitely a good idea, yes.

Also tossing in my vote for deciding a leader in-character. It'd be fun to play that out.
Hello, I'm Moon!
My preferred pronouns are they/them/their/theirs/themself! Thank you!
ONs and OFFs + Request Thread

Chrystal

That's down to Ringtail... I haven't suggested it because we seemed to be okay discussing things in this thread.

HOWEVER: This is a PG15 area, and hence no adult discussions are allowed which is why most GMs will create an OOC thread in the same forum as the game.

By the way, Apple, I notice that Leithanien didn't take offence at being called "Old one". I had intended Niomah to say it either as a complement, or more likely as a simple statement of fact - Perhaps the Elvish word for themselves translates as "The Old Ones" or something like that? Certainly Tolkein uses the word "Eldar" to refer to the elves, collectively (including both Noldor and Sindar). </geek>

Apple of Eris

She wouldn't take offense to that, because in the way Niomah stated it, it comes across as respectful, and amongst elves I would assume their 'slang' for humans would come across as something like quick ones, for their short life spans. Of course since we don't have a canon to work from, I'm kind of making it all up as I go, and so what might be true to Lei may not be true in all elf kingdoms/nations/clans etc.

Elf-girl though, not as respectful. :)

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Chrystal

I'm glad you read it the way I wrote it. And no, "Elf-girl" is not respectful, when addressing someone at least twice your age!