Community Based DND 3.5 Game - Looking for GM/Players

Started by RubySlippers, December 19, 2015, 01:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chulanowa

I'm leaning towards a ragamuffin / troublemaker sort, leaning towards one of the half races (half-orc, half-elf, half-ling). Probably pointing towards rogue, but you know with fifty-seven classes to choose from...

if that doesn't come together, a mage or cleric apprentice / acolyte could be fun, too.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Chulanowa on December 27, 2015, 05:47:28 PM
I'm leaning towards a ragamuffin / troublemaker sort, leaning towards one of the half races (half-orc, half-elf, half-ling). Probably pointing towards rogue, but you know with fifty-seven classes to choose from...

if that doesn't come together, a mage or cleric apprentice / acolyte could be fun, too.
Lets please not go completely overboard with the character classes. The core classes and maybe some variants from UA should be more than enough to make everyone happy, without resorting to class books and such. Makes it easier for me, and it also means I won't spend a month fine-tuning each and every important NPC.  ;)

Rogue is as good a choice as any. But a small settlement like this might not offer many opportunities for a "professional troublemaker". Putting a few skill ranks into a Craft or Profession might be a good idea, once we get to the actual character creation.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Chulanowa

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on December 28, 2015, 02:05:19 AM
Lets please not go completely overboard with the character classes. The core classes and maybe some variants from UA should be more than enough to make everyone happy, without resorting to class books and such. Makes it easier for me, and it also means I won't spend a month fine-tuning each and every important NPC.  ;)

Rogue is as good a choice as any. But a small settlement like this might not offer many opportunities for a "professional troublemaker". Putting a few skill ranks into a Craft or Profession might be a good idea, once we get to the actual character creation.

Awwww. So no Half-dragon Spellscale Dread necromancers?  ;D I agree, 3.5 went just a bit overboard with that stuff.

Cassandra LeMay

Made us a character creation thread in "NC Exotic System Games"

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=241802.0

Anyone who feels ready to roll some dice and post a character sheet, please head over there.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Cassandra LeMay

Also made a thread in the worldbuilding section for maps, background info and such. There's still a lot I have to add to it, but for now it serves pretty well as a place for maps and such, me thinks.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=241938.0

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Thorne

*closes the waffle-iron*
I am interested - after looking at this a lot and thinking - but I'm not sure if I have a suitable character in the folder.

Mebbe I should sling you a PM, Cass?
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Thorne on January 01, 2016, 10:22:15 PM
*closes the waffle-iron*
I am interested - after looking at this a lot and thinking - but I'm not sure if I have a suitable character in the folder.

Mebbe I should sling you a PM, Cass?
Sire.  :-) PM away if you want us to discuss some options.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Andi

I am interested. Have to think about whether to pull out an established character, or set up someone new... is there a list of 'dramatis personae' somewhere, so I have an idea of what has already been submitted? No village needs 5 blacksmith's sons, after all ;)

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Andi on January 02, 2016, 04:57:50 PM
I am interested. Have to think about whether to pull out an established character, or set up someone new... is there a list of 'dramatis personae' somewhere, so I have an idea of what has already been submitted? No village needs 5 blacksmith's sons, after all ;)
Well, we have Ruby's druid, probably a wizard (Muse), mayhaps a fighter/ranger type (Thorne), but there's nothing really set in stone yet. Things are only slowly coming together, but if you are on the fence between using an old character concept and coming up with something new, perhaps just starting afresh might be a good idea. I have some fairly solid ideas about the setting so adapting an existing character to this setting might prove to be as much work as starting a new character.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

yesiroleplay

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on December 26, 2015, 02:39:06 AM

yesiroleplay, when you say "bard-type", do you mean the actual Bard character class, or more broadly a character who may have some ranks in the perform skill, but doesn't necessarily have levels as Bard?

@All: I don't think Monks really fit the setting so I am ruling them out. Paladins might be a bit of a problem too; I am not completely ruling them out right now, but it might take a good bit of convincing for me to okay a Paladin as a PC for this game.

Thanks.  :-) The village map is probably one of the best I ever did.
I was thinking an actual bard, but perhaps not from the start, depending on how 'ordinary' we are at the start.  I like the idea of low-power joe anyones growing into or being thrust by circumstance into the role of hero.

Also, I agree on the maps, and the whole world-building thread is awesome!

Thorne

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

yesiroleplay

I have a setting question of critical importance:
Is there such a thing as the Scarborough fair?  And if so when can we go?

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: yesiroleplay on January 05, 2016, 12:39:14 AM
I have a setting question of critical importance:
Is there such a thing as the Scarborough fair?  And if so when can we go?
No idea, to be honest. The only event outside the baronies that I ever thought about was the yearly tournament in Gareth, and that only because it played a part in the old game I lifted this setting from.

But to go to a great fair or fesdtival in a distant city you will be able to afford the journey. And just enough money to pay your upkeep during journey and stay, but also to cover a potential loss of income. A big fair sounds like a great opportunity fior a bard to make good money, but there will also be strong competition from more experienced entertainers.

Speaking of competition: It looks like half this group will consist of bards.  ;D

Also: With ruby, muse, chula, andi, thorne, and yesiroleplay we have currently 6 players.

I think for the moment the group is big enough.

Any more players and I feel I would not be able to provide as much interaction with the setting and NPCs as I believe a community-based game like this deserves.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

yesiroleplay

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on January 05, 2016, 01:42:47 AM
Speaking of competition: It looks like half this group will consist of bards.  ;D
Hmmm.   I never noticed anyone throwing in for bard in this thread, but I see in the character creation thread that both Andi and Chula went for bards or bard-like concepts, and Chula's idea is eerily like what I had planned.  I may still go bard, but with a shift of focus.  We will see what the dice gods and my muse dictate...

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: yesiroleplay on January 05, 2016, 02:42:08 AM
Hmmm.   I never noticed anyone throwing in for bard in this thread, but I see in the character creation thread that both Andi and Chula went for bards or bard-like concepts, and Chula's idea is eerily like what I had planned.  I may still go bard, but with a shift of focus.  We will see what the dice gods and my muse dictate...
Or maybe Chula will go with a Rogue, after all. I don't think he has completely made up his mind yet.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Chulanowa

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on January 05, 2016, 02:56:44 AM
Or maybe Chula will go with a Rogue, after all. I don't think he has completely made up his mind yet.

I was going to change up to a dragonwrought kobold cheese wizard. Yeah'm I'm going rogue.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Chulanowa on January 05, 2016, 07:55:58 AM
I was going to change up to a dragonwrought kobold cheese wizard. Yeah'm I'm going rogue.
But only if it is your free choice. If you would rather also play a bard, then that's just that and I'll find a way to accomodate three bards in the group.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Chulanowa

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on January 05, 2016, 07:58:50 AM
But only if it is your free choice. If you would rather also play a bard, then that's just that and I'll find a way to accomodate three bards in the group.

I'm good either way   :-) 'Sides, now Loreley can have an unhealthy hero worship thing going on.  ;D

Also are we doing traits and flaws from unearthed arcana?

Cassandra LeMay

(Sonia Sotomayor)

yesiroleplay

Cassandra:

Is the Greco-Roman "Olympian" pantheon a known thing in this setting?  I don't want my character to worship them, but I'd like to know if Greek Myth (Or Greek history I guess) and culture exist anywhere "far away"

Chulanowa

Bleh, 3.5 skill system  :P Best Fix pathfinder did for the game. *shakes fist and goes on to throw points at Spot, Search AND Listen, because why not*

Thorne

I think I just picked one. And said rude things about the inability to max anything out with the pitiful point-spread that fighters get.. really, in any system.

I have a question. I'm seeing Pelor, and I'm seeing mention of the Asgardian pantheon - which gods are floating around here? And, other than Pelor (who suits Eztli'eyal about as well as a skirt made from banana peels), who is locally presented?

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Chulanowa

Quote from: Thorne on January 05, 2016, 10:52:58 PM
I think I just picked one. And said rude things about the inability to max anything out with the pitiful point-spread that fighters get.. really, in any system.

I have a question. I'm seeing Pelor, and I'm seeing mention of the Asgardian pantheon - which gods are floating around here? And, other than Pelor (who suits Eztli'eyal about as well as a skirt made from banana peels), who is locally presented?

Well, just think of the benefits you get for being a fighter! You an... Ah! You're able to... well... when the chips are down, we can count on you to... Uhm. You keep us from needing to hire NPC warriors!

I was told that the Olympian pantheon is available, when I was asking about clerics. Elhonna is also pretty popular with the "Old Timers" around town apparently. I would guess that the bog-standard D&D pantheon is running around.

yesiroleplay

Quote from: Chulanowa on January 05, 2016, 10:58:24 PM
Well, just think of the benefits you get for being a fighter! You an... Ah! You're able to... well... when the chips are down, we can count on you to... Uhm. You keep us from needing to hire NPC warriors!

I was told that the Olympian pantheon is available, when I was asking about clerics. Elhonna is also pretty popular with the "Old Timers" around town apparently. I would guess that the bog-standard D&D pantheon is running around.
Thanks of the Olympian bit.  I thought I saw it posted in one of the threads, but couldn't find it. 

And there's not much wrong with the fighter feat-chains if a party ends up in a lot of combat!

Thorne

Eztli is an excellent speedbump. He's also not bad at scaring the pants offa somebody (the one class skill I think I took.. Intimidate..), and decent at negotiating his own damn contracts. Because, y'know, fighters should be decent at jumping and climbing and swimming, but damnit, winning fights takes strategery! >.>

.. and strategy. And forethought and planning and ... *grumblegrumblefighterskills*

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies