News:

Main Menu

Old School Gaming?

Started by Xenphir, January 24, 2014, 03:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xenphir

Mathim

Quote from: Xenphir on January 24, 2014, 03:25:49 PM
Who still loves (And maybe occasionally play) older games? What systems are "Old" to you?

To me, Play Station (One), Sega Genesis, and the Nintendo GameCube are my favorite systems. My sister had a Nintendo sixty four but I never got to play much on it. Not sure if it could be considered old or not, but perhaps Play Station two and the old PSP (Version 1001) ?

Fuck, yes! That's the beauty of what newer systems are doing like the Wii/3DS Virtual Console or the Playstation Networks's PSONE Classics. I have a bunch of SNES games on my Wii that I love playing over and over (and I'm still looking to get more) and once I can afford a PS3, I'm going to start downloading a bunch of old PSX games I no longer have the discs for or which I have discs that are too messed up to play anymore (Rest in peace, my copy of Xenogears I've had for a decade...)

Sometimes the old formulas work better than new ones. I mean, they're still churning out side-scrollers to this day so why wouldn't someone want to go back to their roots? And some of the older JRPGs that are falling out of popularity are still fantastically fun albeit formulaic (Super Mario RPG is still a major favorite from the SNES days). They can take the fancy graphics and stuff 'em. I'll take content over eye candy any day. Once I get a larger memory capacity SD card for my 3DS, in fact, I'm going to download at least half a dozen classic games from the Gameboy Color generation, and even some original NES games that were converted to 3D like Kirby's Adventure. Life is good because of stuff like that; and even though it's hard to find original cartridges for games like that, there's this new machine available that will play all three of the major early-stage consoles' games, the NES, Genesis and SNES. I forget what it's called but it might be cheaper than the original consoles (at least, buying all three of them; individually they might be cheaper).
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Tsenta

Oh man...pen and paper games...how I miss thee..
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Inkidu

Quote from: Tsenta on February 01, 2014, 03:18:14 PM
I don't know enough people who live close enough. I've had the D&D (about high to middle fantasy) setting burning a hole in my pocket. I worked out a limb-loss mechanic for crying out loud.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on February 01, 2014, 03:28:01 PM
I don't know enough people who live close enough. I've had the D&D (about high to middle fantasy) setting burning a hole in my pocket. I worked out a limb-loss mechanic for crying out loud.

Thiiiiiiiisssssss
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Tsenta

In highschool I played a lot of 3.5. This past year I learned there's a group that gets together and plays in my town but...they don't want a new guy even if he's well versed in the system. I had a few online D&D games the past year but...they peter out over silly crap. I've basically given up on ever playing D&D again lol.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

IStateYourName

Quote from: Oniya on February 01, 2014, 02:50:28 PM
Ah, the days when having a hard drive was something you had to specify as a requirement.

I had to limp along on two floppy drives, not wanting to shell out an additional $500 for a 20Mb hard drive.

Torch

Quote from: Oniya on January 25, 2014, 10:52:30 AM
I learned BASIC on an Atari 400 and an Apple ][+  *shakes cane at you*  ;)

Heh, try a Commodore 64.

*yells at the neighborhood kids to get the hell off my lawn*
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

marauder13

Quote from: Tsenta on February 01, 2014, 03:18:14 PM

About 33 or 34 years ago, I started doing pen & paper games.

With maybe a year or two total break time, I have been doing it ever since. I have lost count of the systems I have played, but I have been playing with the same core group of player for the last 20 years. Man, it's great fun.

marauder13

Quote from: Oniya on January 25, 2014, 10:52:30 AM
I learned BASIC on an Atari 400 and an Apple ][+  *shakes cane at you*  ;)

I learned how to do Assembler/Machine Code on the Apple ][, as well as writing Pascal on it as well. BASIC was too... basic.

marauder13

Quote from: Torch on February 01, 2014, 08:34:41 PM
Heh, try a Commodore 64.

*yells at the neighborhood kids to get the hell off my lawn*

The only good thing about the C64 was Elite. That game still brings a smile to my face remembering playing it.

HairyHeretic

I remember playing Elite on the ZX Spectrum .. up til the point I leant the tape with my save games to my cousin, and his then 2 year old little brother more or less ate it.  :-(

IIRC I'd gotten up to .. Competant? at that point. Might even have been Dangerous, but I had a kick ass ship, outfitted with just about everything I could. The only thing that gave me pause was a handfull of Thargoid ships at once.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

dragonsen

I still own an NES and two N64s. I have about 30 NES games that I still enjoy playing. My sons play them with me as well from time to time. As far as PC games, Ancient Art of War at Sea, any of the King's Quests, the Monkey Island series, X-Com series, Civilization series, Colonization (the first one), Doom, Heretic, Descent, Castle of the Winds, and more are all games I am actively playing. I surf abandonware sites to get my old school fix. Talking old systems, I grew up with a Sperry PC, two 5 1/4" floppy drives. Best game on that was Castle. I also learned BASIC on that machine as well.
Knowledge is the gathering of useless information - Arthvr Dragonsen
Discord: arthvrdragonsen
My Ons & Offs - My Plot Requests - My E AppKnown Absences - Story Lottery Profile - Stories

Vonandi

The oldest I can normally go is snes, but I got the midway acrade pack recently and I've been playing the hell out of spy hunter and rampage. Anything between that is really fair game I don't think of it as old school for some reason.

Namorone

www.gog.com has, frankly, consumed more of my money than I care to admit and I still play my NES. If you really want to get old school, crack out a text adventure interpreter and play some Zork. A lot of really incredible text adventure games are still released today and most of them (to my knowledge) are free, and yes, the legal kind of free.

(I hope it is ok that I linked to gog. If that is against the rules somehow, please let me know so I can take it down promptly).
“A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.”
― Bill Watterson

Chaosfox

Quote from: Namorone on February 22, 2014, 07:06:11 PM
www.gog.com has, frankly, consumed more of my money than I care to admit and I still play my NES. If you really want to get old school, crack out a text adventure interpreter and play some Zork. A lot of really incredible text adventure games are still released today and most of them (to my knowledge) are free, and yes, the legal kind of free.

(I hope it is ok that I linked to gog. If that is against the rules somehow, please let me know so I can take it down promptly).

GOG.com is awesoem!!!! Though I don't have the money  to really spend on it I have gotten a few things  My favorites being the All the mIght and magics up to Mandate of Heaven! As for text adventures there is a website that has Zork coded into it just do not remember the site off the top of my head. But as far as my favorite I miss my Nintendo some of my favorite games where Gunnac, master Blaster, Kirby, Captain SkyHawk, Swords and Serpents, Xenyz  ( I think thats how it is speelt) and a game where you played through 4 levels (a warrior a wizard a dragon and a thief) and whoever you got to the end of there  level you would have for the final level and if none of them made it well game over can not remember for the life of me what that game was called.
There is no Order only Chaos and all the joys that it brings. 
This way too On's and Off's

Mossberg

I love my old school games. Currently I have a PSX, SNES and 64 emulator on my computer. My taste in games are more in the rpg line, with Square being my favorite company. All the Final Fantasy's, Vagrant Story, Xenogears, etc.
"I killed the whole world, and you can too, if you try hard."
-Lews Therin Telamon

LostInTheMist

In terms of old school games, I still play pen and paper RPGs to this day.

But in terms of computer/video games? I still play Master of Orion II (I can now win 50% of the time on "Impossible" difficulty where the computer cheats like a mofo) as well as Escape Velocity, and Escape Velocity: Override NOT using the Escape Velocity: Nova conversion.

Master of Orion II requires an MS-DOS emulator (DOSBox) and EV and EV:O require a Mac OS 9 emulator on an Intel machine that can no longer run OS 9 (Sheepshaver).

I also have memories of playing the original "Frogger" when I was much, much younger, but those memories are very vague. I can't have been much older than three or four.
My Apologies and Absences  Updated March 24, 2024

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Current Status: Unusually long bout of insomnia is slowing my posting rate.

Inkidu

Quote from: LostInTheMist on February 23, 2014, 12:19:34 PM
In terms of old school games, I still play pen and paper RPGs to this day.

But in terms of computer/video games? I still play Master of Orion II (I can now win 50% of the time on "Impossible" difficulty where the computer cheats like a mofo) as well as Escape Velocity, and Escape Velocity: Override NOT using the Escape Velocity: Nova conversion.

Master of Orion II requires an MS-DOS emulator (DOSBox) and EV and EV:O require a Mac OS 9 emulator on an Intel machine that can no longer run OS 9 (Sheepshaver).

I also have memories of playing the original "Frogger" when I was much, much younger, but those memories are very vague. I can't have been much older than three or four.
If you want MoO and MoO 2 (though I don't much care for the first one) get the GoG bundle. It's cheap, comes with both games (I think) and has DOSbox auto-execute when you play it so you don't have to worry about that mess. :)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

LostInTheMist

(In Reference to the post above, which I somehow failed to quote.)

Yup, I know of this. I had MOO2 BEFORE GOG had them. I should also mention that from GOG I also have "Stronghold HD", "Red Baron", "Red Baron 3D", and "Theme Hospital". I also played "Tropico" for a long time until I finally got "Tropico 4" a few months back.
My Apologies and Absences  Updated March 24, 2024

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Current Status: Unusually long bout of insomnia is slowing my posting rate.

Dom

Old school for me is stuff like Everquest or Dark Age of Camelot or even Neverwinter Nights.

I got the MMO bug early on and it stuck.

I don't mind PMs, or KIK (NoBetterThanBeasts) requests

Zekromnomnom

We still have our NES and we have games like Final Fantasy, Swords and Serpents, Bucky O'Hare, Battletoads, two copies of Legend of Zelda, Mario 1 and 3, Kirby, and a bunch of weird tactics games. I haven't gotten it out in years, but it was always a lot of fun. And I had the magic touch for getting it to work. My brother an friends never could. Oh, and Blades of Steel?

We have an SNES but not many games. Donkey Kong Country, Act Raiser, Gradius III, Super R-Type, Tetris Attack (so fun to play competitively when drunk), Super Mario World, of course. There were some others, like an SD Gundam Super Famicom game that was modified to fit in our SNES, and a few sports games. I always wanted a copy of Chrono Trigger for it, but I never found any. (It's all right, though, since I have it on PS1 and I have the DS version and the SNES emulator).

As for PS1, I have all the Final Fantasy games except VII, I have a kinda scratched copy of Wild Arms, Chrono Cross, and several more I don't ever play anymore.

I have two GameCubes, but Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door and Super Smash Bros. are the only games I have for them. I have a modded original XBox and only two games for it. D&D Heroes and Star Wars Battlefront II. Still have Pokemon Blue, Link's Awakening DX (the one for GameBoy Color) and a few others, as well as a small collection of GameBoy Advance games, like the second Golden Sun, Sword? Of Mana, Pokemon Leaf Green and Ruby, and some others.

I dunno if we're counting PS2, but I have a bunch of those games still, too. Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 are my favorites.