Interest check: all gay group?

Started by shadowspale, September 20, 2009, 06:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowspale

I have been told there are plenty of opportunities for a gay male to be played here but I have yet to find more than one other person who plays gay males. I am sure I am not being lied too but the fact remains I am left feeling like a square peg being asked to fit into a round hole. Yes, I can find rps that welcome a gay character but what is the point if I have no one to play against other than straight males?

I thought maybe if there were a rp just for gays, maybe I would see some of the others I was told existed come out of hiding. If anyone is interested, please speak up.

There are so many rps geared for M/F but not one (at least from what I have found) geared for those whose taste lay in another direction. Surely I can't be the only who sees the need for a thread/game/board of this type.

Lycan Queen

Thread highly relevant to my interests. I won't be able to post often, but this something I've been wanting as well. Got any ideas for the setting?

shadowspale

I was thinking of something involving vampires, lycan's and humans. Those seem to be very popular and would allow for anyone to play. Maybe an Underworld type of setting but one that allows more interaction by humans. I was thinking that maybe the Lycan's and vampires are warring but there are those who doesn't hate the other. Humans could either "hunt", intermingle or remain oblivious.

shadowspale

I am mainly seeking to learn if there is an interest. There really isn't any point in coming up with a concept if there really isn't any interest. I was hoping to start something where anyone had a chance to play against someone who shared the same interests.

I like BDSM but not every relationship has to be based on it nor does every game. It is my hope to create a game where same gender couples could play as they wished in their private lives but in a setting that can expand beyond that and allow for other types of relationships to be formed.

I was also hoping to create a game that allowed for a variety of character types. I like playing humans but I also like playing other types of characters as well. I figured I am not the only one.

Saku

I like playing gay males but I can't take on any more group games...since I'm having issues in real life so I'm not sure when I'll be able to post. And in a group game you usually need to be fairly active so that you don't hold up the other people playing. *hugs* But thought I'd drop in and say hello :)
I'm back!
"Times change and so must I. We all change when you think about it. We’re all different people all through our lives.
And that’s ok, that’s good, as long as you keep moving, as long as you remember all the people that you used to be.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear. I will always remember when The Doctor was me."
Ons/Offs! vs Updates! vs Requests

shadowspale

Thank you, I was beginning to wonder if I was an oddity.

Lycan Queen

I totally get what you mean about the setting, but can I make a suggestion?

If there are going to be werebeasts, could they be more open endly defined, and not like Underworld? *points to screename* I love werewolves and all things shapeshifty, but I don't like the Hollywood archetype. Plus, there's a wide variety of animal forms.

Request #2: Please, for the love of all that is unholy and awesome, no Twilight vampires.

shadowspale

I liked the series but find the vampires odd.... I am talking lycans in all types and I am talking traditional (if there is such a thing anymore) vampires as well as daywalkers. I like playing shape shifters, characters not stuck to one form or even two. Shapeshifters only differ from "Were's" in that they aren't linked to the moon in the same way and they have three forms based on the same animal type. The forms are that of a human, a fighting (or defensive) form and one used for traveling or sneaking about. 

My favorite character that I have ever played was named Na'ayla. He was a feisty feline shifter that didn't want to admit he wasn't as tough as he thought. He would get into trouble, run for his lover to "fix it" and then declare he didn't need the help as he had it under control but thank you very much for caring.

He was literally a cat burgler; one of his forms was that of a black house cat. He worked as a pole dancer at a club and would accept offers for private dances and his lover would pick the pockets of the guys that could afford Na'ayla's fee for addresses.

He would drive the getaway car after Na'ayla would rob them. Drack was a badass wolf that never understood how he came to love a cat or why he would fall for someone that got into so much trouble; he was loosely based on Riddick and was forever growling at people. Sadly the guy I was playing with died in a wreck so...

Ryven

Having just started a group RP with 3 other people playing gay characters, I can assure you, there are plenty here willing to play gay characters.  The problem lies in the fact that a lot of them are pretty much full with RPs already.

shadowspale

*sighs* Story of my life. This is a great place with wonderful people but I seem to be too late in joining. Thanks for the info.

Kate

im happy to play a gay male also

many dont put adds in this forum but simply make a new one in the area it concerns (without a post in the "role plays wanted" area ) look for new threads in the forum like
"group nc-h" ... u can just jump into those usually :)

- remember pale people are joining all the time :)

shadowspale

Impatience isn't a virtue, I know. I just see all these people who write well and are active and I am like a kid in a candy store. I do think a game geared for gays is needed however but I can't do it alone.

GothicFires

I think part of your problem in finding partners for gay males is that you are looking for a group game. It is very rare for those to have gay male characters. Yes Raven is in one (that i am happily following) it was created between four people who already knew each other's writing styles by playing one-on-ones with each other. Perhaps you should look into the beauty of one on ones. There only two people are controlling the pace of the story which makes it faster in progression. It doesn't mean you are limited to just two characters in the game. The one torch and I are writing has 4 main characters with some others making appearances here and there to give it a bit more realism.  Anyway with out getting long winded... it is just a suggestion.
looking for new games
discord: Agara#3507

Nico

Quote from: Ryven on September 20, 2009, 10:04:28 AM
Having just started a group RP with 3 other people playing gay characters, I can assure you, there are plenty here willing to play gay characters.  The problem lies in the fact that a lot of them are pretty much full with RPs already.

Has to agree with Ryven on this one.

And yes, what GothicFires said is true. One-On-One roleplay is really easier to keep up with. At least in my opinion. I imagine, it's quite difficult to find people for a group game, since they all should be rather active and some people just aren't on so very often.

Either way, good luck! :)

-Nic

Pixilicious

*snogs Nic and Ryven*  I can play gay males as well..In fact, that's one of my favorite pairings, even though I'm a bi female.  Just ask him!  *grins and points up to Nic*
Be a girl with a mind.  A woman with attitude. A lady with class

Nico

Quote from: Pixilicious on September 20, 2009, 12:31:11 PM
*snogs Nic and Ryven*  I can play gay males as well..In fact, that's one of my favorite pairings, even though I'm a bi female.  Just ask him!  *grins and points up to Nic*

Yes, yes you can, Pixie.  ;) I'm still rather amazed by how decent some female players on here can play gay males. I've had plenty of bad experience with that, trust me.

shadowspale

I have played with females playing females that left me wondering where they came from because it clearly wasn't earth

shadowspale

Okay, if a group game isn't likely to happen and most players that play gay males are busy; does that mean I am out of luck? Stuck playing females or what?

I am pretty new here. I am learning the ropes but I still have no clue on how to get what I am seeking.

GothicFires

you didn't address the possibility of looking for a game with just one writing partner. is there a reason that you are so attached to the idea of a group game?
looking for new games

shadowspale

I am open for solo games but I am being told that the players are busy and that group games aren't likely to happen.

If the players are busy it sounds to me like either way I am out of luck; at least for the moment. Am I missing something?

Ryven

I would start by putting a thread in one-on-one section.  You will almost assuredly get some replies for whatever ideas you get there either in the thread or via PMs.  If you start a few solo RPs, you might find people to have a group game with in the process.  Mention in the one-on-one thread that you'd also be interested in a group oriented m/m game. 

Another way that you might get more bites for a group RP is to flesh out an idea.  People seem more responsive if you've got a reasonable and concrete idea to work with. If you leave it vague, people are less likely to reply because they don't want to commit to something they're unsure about.

Edit:  Also *hugs Pixie* :-)

shadowspale

Thank you. That helps. I think that is what maybe Kip has been trying to tell me but it wasn't clicking.

Ryven

Quote from: shadowspale on September 20, 2009, 01:03:04 PM
Thank you. That helps. I think that is what maybe Kip has been trying to tell me but it wasn't clicking.

Ahh, yes.  Kip is a wise one, both in knowledge and in personality.  You would do well to listen to him, if for nothing else than to have a laugh ;D

shadowspale

He is great but I really can't say there has been many here who weren't.

GothicFires

you can look through my o/o (link in signature) and see if there is something that catches your interest and that you can agree with my o/o. I can top but I prefer my characters to be more equal in personality. Playing a dom just isn't high on my list of enjoyment and it would take someone I have experience writing with to get me to go in that direction. But perhaps something would suit you.

you will find that the majority of the people here like to play bottom males. That may also hinder you a big bit if you stick to just playing bottoms.

but also take both of Raven's ideas. If you are willing to gm a game idea (don't expect anyone else to control the game) then present a good idea base... not a 'maybe this' or 'maybe that' if you have different ideas then make separate threads for them.

as for on-on-ones or solos you can list multiple game ideas in one thread and just keep bumping once it hits the 2nd page. the last time I bumped mine I didn't get any bites. that's just the way it goes sometimes.
looking for new games

shadowspale

Good points. Thank you. I do wonder why everywhere I go, the sub males greatly outnumber the doms however. Did martians take them all when we were not looking?

GothicFires

I personally am an Alpha. Not a dom. which is why i have issues doing dom/sub ~ master/slave games, I can't do sub or slave either. there are times (since I am a woman) that I would like to be beta or bottom. So I often wonder where the other top/dom/alpha people are too. :)
looking for new games

Nico

I can play both myself and I do enjoy both, actually. Even if I find my character in more top than bottom roles, as of late ~chuckles~

And I really have no clue why there are so many, many bottom only players. Really don't.

And yeah, I'd offer to play, but right now, I really don#t have room for more threads. Another time, maybe.  :-)

Ryven

My tastes are pretty versatile as well.  I couldn't see playing just one side.  There are times when I want one over the other, but I always switch.

shadowspale

I use the word sub/dom for lack of something closer. I play that scene but I would say I bottom if it were left up to me. I can't do the alpha so well; kind of throws things off when I am fighting not to reverse to a more passive role

Nico

Just a heads up:

'bottom' isn't necessarily a sub. It's not beta, either. It merely means that the bottom one is the receiving part of anal sex, nothing more, nothing less. Just because a guy likes to take it, doesn't make him a submissive. ;)
At least, that's my point of view on it.  ;D

Ryven

It should be the correct point of view too.  Bottom =/= sub.

GothicFires

then check out my ideas and past games to see if i am someone you can keep up with. I can't guarantee you a post everyday but I can work you into my schedule. Out of 21 game ideas there should be something you like. but if not send me some ideas of you're own and we'll work it out.

lets not start splitting hairs on semantics shall we my lovelies?  There are varying degrees of being submissive and being submissive doesn't mean that you are into being dominated or having a master. I think we all understand that. It's just a matter of finding words to express exactly what we mean and falling a little short.
looking for new games

Nico

Quote from: GothicFires on September 20, 2009, 01:36:05 PM

lets not start splitting hairs on semantics shall we my lovelies?  There are varying degrees of being submissive and being submissive doesn't mean that you are into being dominated or having a master. I think we all understand that. It's just a matter of finding words to express exactly what we mean and falling a little short.

I just wanted to point that out since it's missunderstood quite frequently.  ;)

shadowspale

Exactly. I bottom and I am not aggressive for the most part. I can be cheeky or feisty and at times I want someone to take control. I am this way and so are my characters. Does that make any sense?

Ryven

Yes it does.  I am sort of the same way though I top and dom a bit.  I used to not be so into it when I first joined, but it seems I've gravitated more and more towards it as I've discovered I enjoy it a lot.

Nico

Quote from: shadowspale on September 20, 2009, 01:41:09 PM
Exactly. I bottom and I am not aggressive for the most part. I can be cheeky or feisty and at times I want someone to take control. I am this way and so are my characters. Does that make any sense?

Yes, of course it makes sense.  :-)
Anyways, feel free to look up my O/O's and drop me a PM, maybe we get something together sometimes. I'm always open for suggestions.

Quote from: Ryven on September 20, 2009, 01:43:28 PM
Yes it does.  I am sort of the same way though I top and dom a bit.  I used to not be so into it when I first joined, but it seems I've gravitated more and more towards it as I've discovered I enjoy it a lot.

Yep, I know what you mean, bro. It's a mood thing for me, quite frequently.

shadowspale

I am amazed at this thread. I got two possibilities from it as well as a better understanding of how things work around here. Thank you all for responding.

Nico

Quote from: shadowspale on September 20, 2009, 01:59:04 PM
I am amazed at this thread. I got two possibilities from it as well as a better understanding of how things work around here. Thank you all for responding.

You are most welcome! ~hugs~

Ryven

Quote from: shadowspale on September 20, 2009, 01:59:04 PM

You're welcome.  There will always be help.  Even if you don't find what you're looking for, we can point you in the direction to help you get closer to it. :-)

Lycan Queen

*reads the setting described*

You rock. One on one or group, send me a message. Our thoughts are practically the same. Again, YOU. SERIOUSLY. ROCK.

Valkyrie1066

My question is on the issue of "all gay"
Are you referring to the characters?  The players?  Or both?

I would love to be able to search members by sexual identity..it would really, really save me time.  Having to read the whole blessed profile to find out sucks. There are more straight boys in here than any forum I've ever seen.  Am I missing something?  Feel free to advise me.

I've done a lot of M/m RP's; actually, more than I have done M/f.  How I obtained those kind of real life experiences is a long strange story.  Suffice it to say that I am most comfortable in playing the role of a male. Most of my rp's involve some form of bdsm role playing games.

Actual gender is of no concern to me.  I couldn't care less as long as the person plays their character well.  Trying to be sensitive to the fact that some people are creeped out about cross gender play though I can't understand their dilemma myself.  I'm just a horny bastard.  *wink*
Independently owned and operated.0

shadowspale

I am talking about characters. I don't give a flip as to the gender of the other player. I am an oddity I guess; a straight female who would rather play a gay male and I think it absolutely, positively sucks rotten eggs that there isn't more opportunities for me to play.

I really don't understand the issue with cross gender players. I am not really into F/F but I will play it. If the other person happens to be a female who cares? It is our characters that will be getting together, not us. The day anyone male or female reaches through my monitor and gropes me is the day I stop playing as my computer has become possessed. O.o

HockeyGod

Quote from: Valkyrie1066 on October 29, 2009, 03:28:11 PM
I would love to be able to search members by sexual identity..it would really, really save me time.  Having to read the whole blessed profile to find out sucks. There are more straight boys in here than any forum I've ever seen.  Am I missing something?  Feel free to advise me.

Here, here! I think that is a great idea!

shadowspale

I do think I would be a good idea to have something like that. I hate reading through an o/o that seems compatible only to find they are straight in the way they play characters.

Still, I do find people who are willing to play a game with me so all is good. :)

HockeyGod

Quote from: shadowspale on October 31, 2009, 07:32:40 AM
I do think I would be a good idea to have something like that. I hate reading through an o/o that seems compatible only to find they are straight in the way they play characters.

Still, I do find people who are willing to play a game with me so all is good. :)

I had thought it would be helpful to have another column that designates "X looking for X" or be more standardized in the title (which I think is the current method). I guess the message is that people have to advertise well.

shadowspale

That would helpful but since I have been here, I have learned that those willing to play M/M aren't that many in comparison to those who are looking for M/f or even F/f. Believe me, I have looked through the games and through hundreds of profiles; for every person willing to play m/m there are at least 20 who won't. Add that all up and we are a small group. Those looking for a M/F game really don't need any help finding a game. F/F games don't seem to be as hard to find either.

I like playing in a group setting where my character can react to others that aren't written by me but it seems (I might be misunderstanding) that most here prefer solo games.

HockeyGod

Quote from: shadowspale on October 31, 2009, 02:13:38 PM
I like playing in a group setting where my character can react to others that aren't written by me but it seems (I might be misunderstanding) that most here prefer solo games.

Hmmm...well solo games in my experience actually are defined as one on one. I'm in several "solo" RPs and it in essence means me and one other person. Perhaps I'm using the term wrong, but I'm not sure what the point of a RPG community would be if the majority of people just wanted to write stories without a partner. For example, I have a solo with Ryven called No Luck in the Shadows.

The group role-plays would be for any more than one on one. I am only in one group role-play.

Hope that helps clarify.

Torch

Quote from: shadowspale on October 30, 2009, 05:35:10 PM
I am talking about characters. I don't give a flip as to the gender of the other player. I am an oddity I guess; a straight female who would rather play a gay male and I think it absolutely, positively sucks rotten eggs that there isn't more opportunities for me to play.

You aren't an oddity. I only play gay males myself. But your supposition is correct, M/M roleplay is quite the red-headed stepchild of E; there are far more members searching for M/F and F/F games than M/M. I think the problem is most of the folks who do play M/M seem to be full up on games most of the time. It's simply a matter of catching someone who is available.  :-)
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

shadowspale

QuoteHmmm...well solo games in my experience actually are defined as one on one.

That was what I was talking about. I come from yahoo where all games are group games. It is only here that I am finding that players seem to prefer solo games. I can't say I understand why but I am not complaining. I am in three games but still have so much time on my hands as they move much slower as I am responding to a single person instead of multiples like I am accustomed to doing. Even so, it is better here; the over all maturity level is much higher and I have yet to encounter a truly bad writer.

QuoteYou aren't an oddity. I only play gay males myself. But your supposition is correct, M/M roleplay is quite the red-headed stepchild of E; there are far more members searching for M/F and F/F games than M/M. I think the problem is most of the folks who do play M/M seem to be full up on games most of the time. It's simply a matter of catching someone who is available.  :-)

Yes, that has been pointed out to me but its not my only problem. The reason I started this thread was I had hoped to create a game where those interested in playing M/M could meet other players who shared the same taste. Its really hard to find someone to play with when your main avenue of searching requires you to check profiles. I only play subs/bottoms and the majority of the players I have stumbled across who play M/M only play the same way. Two bottoms do not a top make. :P

I just thought that an all gay game would allow people to find each other easier as well as giving us a chance to discover compatible players. Plus there is the chance of characters playing against a wider variety of other characters in a way you can't in a solo game.

Yes, I am lazy and I am not overly fond of playing against myself. I have settings I would like to play but not if I have to move a bunch of characters to do so. >.<.

GothicFires

If the only option you had was group games on one site then it is understandable why you don't understand why one-on-ones are better.  It is truly rare for a group game to go faster than a one on one. If you are interacting with more than one person it is usually considered rude not to give everyone a chance to respond before posting again... you can, but eventually you will leave the slowest player behind and frustrated... they will quit. You will also miss the opportunity to take the game in a direction that involves everyone's input... not just the fastest posters.

Take for example the group game I am in Beyond Hogwarts. I have not had the ability to respond daily or even every other day. Not even the game owner has been around to post. Yet there are a few who are capable of making several posts each day. Because of this there is a time difference in where we are. It frustrates me because the slower posters won't ever be able to catch up and get the experience out of the game that role playing is supposed to bring.

With a one on one... all you have to do is wait on one partner. When they are in a good position to post your game is going to move. If they are not then at least you know you are not going to be in a position to wait on more than one slow person. Even more so if a person has to stop gaming for a while then you both choose to pick up the game again when they come back. When people leave groups games and you do not have a good gm... the games usually die.

Now to address the m/m problem. There is a disparity between those players who enjoy m/m that are 'top' and 'bottoms'. It is very frustrating for those of us who will top because most of us also bottom. So if you think it is simply hard for a bottom to find a top... you are competing with tops for the other tops. And even if someone who tops has a game opening... if we are topping for every other game (or most of our games) then we are less likely to pick up another game where we are yet again... topping.

If you consider yourself a 'bottom only' person I would really like to encourage you to expand your horizons and volunteer to top for another bottom. You may find that you enjoy it... you may not but it will result in you being able to play more games and it will take some of the stress of those of us who to top from having to turn people down because we don't have available game slots.

Most of us really do feel bad about turning people down. And though I don't turn many down... the more I take the longer everyone waits for my posts. So I get to feel bad about turning people down and making my partners wait for a response  :-\
looking for new games

shadowspale

I am actually really enjoying the three solos I have going but...I don't see where they are moving at any faster of a rate then the groups here.

Maybe what I know as a group game isn't the same as what is found here. The games I am used too are not turn based. They are many different threads happening within a larger one. I could have one character over here, working with another on finding out why dead bodies keep disappearing from the Morgue and another stealing the bodies because they are not really dead but vampires yet to awaken.

You could have a character that is a werewolf that has been giving the task of hunting down these unwakened vampires to destroy them unaware that another character is seeking to capture werewolves to experiment on while another player who works as GM is secretly making all this happen because he wants to weaken all sides so he can take control and rule the world.

That is just an example setting mind you. In the group games I know, there is one main goal that everyone works towards such as defeating an evil that threatens everyone but within that are many other threads. You only reply to the thread(s) your character(s) are in.

Its like a bunch of solo games taking place on the same field that share a common goal. The characters in these individual threads often make appearances in other threads within the game.

If you are not familiar with that, what I am describing likely sounds confusing as hell but its really as simple as two football teams coming together on a field. Each teams members have lives that are separate but they all share the common goal of working together as a team to win the Rose Bowl. The main thread would be the two teams coming together while the each player has a thread called life going on behind the scenes.

Again, I was thinking a group of this type would give players a chance to meet other players in a way that makes it easier to find each other. Finding someone for M/F games is simple as a large part of this forum is composed of people seeking that.

Finding people who play M/M and are compatible or open to starting a game is like seeking a needle in a haystack.

GothicFires

if you are in a group game and you are in a thread with one other person you are essentially doing a solo game with in a one on one.

if you are in a thread with at least two other people and do not rotate turns, two people can bury the third person rather quickly if they do not wait for him to reply

take the group game i am in now. We all started in the same place in the morning, the main hall. From there the game split into three groups at three different times during the day. two of those groups moved very slow. Group 1 had only two people (one being me, I've been on vacation and in alot of pain) Group 2 has three people (one being me, another player has been sick, and another... the gm... has been caught up in life) group 3 has two people that post short and fast posts. Where group 1 and 2 barely have moved in time group 3 is ready to got to dinner.  There is no way for anyone in either group to play with the other characters because they are in different time zones. Group 1 can't do anything that might affect the characters in group 2 later in the game... because group 2 is already later in the game... and group 3 is going to be into the next day before the scene ends for group 1 and 2. When I gmed everyone stayed with in an hour of each other. If someone took too long to post i would write one with for them to keep them from falling behind but every character got their turn.

I simply couldn't wrap my mind around the chaos of having the same character in different instances of the story at the same time. The closest I have ever come to that was finishing a sex scene because it was really steamy but it was time to move on in the game.

I haven't counted the number of active games I have at the moment but i usually always have at least 3 to respond to at the moment I have 8 or 9.

Keep looking. Eventually you will have enough games with partners that post at various speeds to keep you busy.
looking for new games

shadowspale

Ugh, I have played one game were everyone moved at their own pace. It died in three weeks later because everyone was so confused about what was going on. I stuck to games that had GM moved time frames or what one gm called an Open Game where time worked as you wanted each month but changed months along with the calendar.

I know I will eventually get games enough to keep me busy. I had nothing when I first joined and now I have three.

I guess what I was truly attempting to create with this thread was a way to find those that do play M/m easier. Maybe there is a way to search for people I haven't been told about, I don't know, but the only way I know to look for people to approach is by looking at o/os which means I have to dig through tons of profiles. I meet a few when people respond to one of my threads but so far most are up to their ears in games already or play subs/bottoms like I do.