News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Homosexuality Should Be Illegal

Started by Sabby, May 28, 2011, 01:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Why Homosexuality Should Be Banned

"We have the right to keep two people in love from getting married"

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
If you can't actually figure it out for yourself, the video is actually sarcastic. A lot of people seem to be having trouble grasping that for some reason :/

Shjade

First thought on reading thread title: "It is in some States, isn't it? Not that sodomy laws are ever enforced, but they're still on the books, right?"

First thought after watching video: "Damn yeah, Hawaiian shirts! =D"
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Vekseid

Quote from: Shjade on May 28, 2011, 03:37:35 PM
First thought on reading thread title: "It is in some States, isn't it? Not that sodomy laws are ever enforced, but they're still on the books, right?"

First thought after watching video: "Damn yeah, Hawaiian shirts! =D"

Sodomy laws were ruled unconstitutional and thus, while they might remain on books in some states they are effectively repealed. Ruling a law unconstitutional doesn't actually repeal the law, the courts simply say that they won't apply it.

Brandon

Im not sure if its just me but this is the third post in two days that seems to post something seemingly humorous but with no substance from the OP. Its almost like they dont want discussion to happen. What is the purpose of this new style of posting?
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Sabby

Just because I put cookies on the table doesn't mean I wanna eat them with everyone else :P

Shjade

Everyone likes cookies, so they're not really controversial. Or political.
◕/◕'s

Sabby

Just a term of phrase. The video is still very accurate.

Brandon

Everyone likes cookies Sabby you really should stick around and snack on them with everyone else!

More seriously, why post it at all? You know there isnt a single person on Elliquiy who is against homosexuality, or at least no one that will speak up. The intro process ensures that no gay bashers get in in the first place. The most you would get is someone explaining someone elses point of view which is often what I end up doing in a seemingly futile attempt to educate people

I guess I just dont understand
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Sabby

It raises interesting points that I assumed could be expanded on >.> like the "Its unnatural, just like glasses and polyester" point. I had a similar experience with my brothers douchebag room mate who said that gay anal sex was totally unnatural. I asked him if he ever kisses his girlfriend. When he answered yes, I told him that using his mouth like that is completely unnatural. A mouth isn't made for kissing. Its for eating, breathing, speaking... mashing it against a womans face as a show of affection is not what its for, but no one bats a lash when two people kiss.

So if he has such a problem with two guys using their rear entry in an unorthodox way, then he also has to swear off of kissing, or he's a hypocrite.

Shjade

It would depend on what you consider natural. What does "unnatural" mean? Is it that animals wouldn't do it? Because animals do have their own affectionate gestures, and guess what, some take part in anal sex, totally without human intervention. I wouldn't be surprised if they kiss now and then either - I wouldn't think it as important a gesture as humans consider it, but if I saw some apes peck I wouldn't go ZOMG KISSU either.

In your example I'd be as skeptical of your position as your friend's, honestly.
◕/◕'s

Sabby

I wasn't saying I take that stance, or that I find it unnatural, was simply pointing out its not a very strong bullet point in your list of "Why I think gays are bad"

Brandon

Unnatural tends to be a completely subjective term today. Everything comes from nature at some point in the process of being made. I define unatural as it just wouldnt happen in that species without outside intervention. Obiviously anal sex and kissing are defined as natural and wholly enjoyable experiences in intimacy. What I would consider unatural is something like surgury (any kind from life saving to sex changes) because it requires outside intervention, it doesnt just happen but neither am I neccessarily opposed to what I consider to be unnatural

Of course that completely dodged my earlier question

Will

Well, the topic is now being discussed, isn't it?  Doesn't that leave your question moot?
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Noelle

Actually, my dearest Will, this was all apart of Brandon's clever plan to start! He came to drop such a comment in a way that engineered us all to start a dialogue on the subject at hand. What looks like a backhanded comment is actually a delightfully sly show of reverse psychology and we are all unknowing participants!

Shjade

Technically, discussing the semantics of the term "unnatural" isn't the thread's topic, so it's still not being discussed.
◕/◕'s

Will

"First of all, homosexuality is completely unnatural" <--- OP's video

So... discussing the meaning of the term "unnatural" in the context of homosexuality is pretty well on topic.

- Jack Kerouac

Shjade

But it wasn't in the context of homosexuality, it was in the context of defining nature.
◕/◕'s

Will

- Jack Kerouac

jobe352

Quote from: Sabby on May 28, 2011, 05:02:02 PM
It raises interesting points that I assumed could be expanded on >.> like the "Its unnatural, just like glasses and polyester" point. I had a similar experience with my brothers douchebag room mate who said that gay anal sex was totally unnatural. I asked him if he ever kisses his girlfriend. When he answered yes, I told him that using his mouth like that is completely unnatural. A mouth isn't made for kissing. Its for eating, breathing, speaking... mashing it against a womans face as a show of affection is not what its for, but no one bats a lash when two people kiss.

So if he has such a problem with two guys using their rear entry in an unorthodox way, then he also has to swear off of kissing, or he's a hypocrite.
----------------------
Might have to disagree a little with this opinion...

Well, I do understand where you're coming from--how maybe anal sex between men is, let's just say, "unnatural". But, as far as your kissing theory, I must digress. This showing of affection, this kiss, isn't synthetic, nor man-made. It's the urge to show another love, to be close to a human being, regardless of gender. In order to reproduce, a man must have intercourse with a woman so they may create offspring. I believe that one chooses to be heterosexual or homosexual, thus, since we are hypothetical born straight (at least in my world :d), shoving a ding-dong into a masculine hole is not a primal instinct. I think that's enough from me for the moment.

Anyone think differently on this matter?

Brandon

Yes and no. I think body parts can have multiple intended uses. For example a man's penis can be used to engage in sex but its also a tool to remove waste. The anus and vagina is pretty much exactly the same in that respect.

I dont think its possible for any of us to be 100% sure what every body parts intended use or uses were unless we were to ask god, or whatever/whoever made us, and if nothing made us so much as we just are then its impossible to be sure at all.

Then there is the question of what is considered a show of affection in each culture? Kissing is a fairly common one, I might even say universal. However other signs like holding hands and petting are more ground in culture then they are human desire to show affection. The united states, generally speaking, probably has sex ingrained into its culture more then any other nation Ive been to and while here its considered gay if a pair of guys hug for more then five seconds the same thing carries no sexual impact in other countries like Turkey but still has an affectionate meaning as friendship

Oniya

Quote from: jobe352 on May 29, 2011, 08:43:49 PM
----------------------
Might have to disagree a little with this opinion...

Well, I do understand where you're coming from--how maybe anal sex between men is, let's just say, "unnatural". But, as far as your kissing theory, I must digress. This showing of affection, this kiss, isn't synthetic, nor man-made. It's the urge to show another love, to be close to a human being, regardless of gender. In order to reproduce, a man must have intercourse with a woman so they may create offspring. I believe that one chooses to be heterosexual or homosexual, thus, since we are hypothetical born straight (at least in my world :d), shoving a ding-dong into a masculine hole is not a primal instinct. I think that's enough from me for the moment.

Anyone think differently on this matter?

The APA for one. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Noelle

A kiss is thought by a lot of scientists to be a way to exchange pheromones, amongst other things, or may serve more emotional purposes such as comfort, demonstrating trust, or forming closer bonds in general. Still seems to be up in the air as to whether it's a learned thing or instinctual, but signs are pointing to its relevance manifesting itself in similar ways across the animal kingdom (grooming, touching noses, etc.) and also somewhat corroborated by ~90% of the world's population engaging in it.

If you'd like to make the argument that physically speaking, your ass wasn't made to handle sex, you might also argue that neither is your mouth if you're sticking to the strictest sense of how each part functions, but I can speak to a lot of people who certainly enjoy oral sex ;P

However, most of this is irrelevant if we're to look at just what being 'natural' or 'unnatural' entails. If you'd like to define natural as something that just happens with little to no outside interference, well, anal sex is just as natural as anything else. Human sexual urge in of itself is a natural thing, and so inventing new places to stick a penis for sexual gratification is hardly considered weird, especially when you consider that many straight men also have the desire to stick it up a woman's ass all the same.

The problem is that many people use "natural" as a synonym for "socially acceptable" or "commonplace", and they aren't quite the same thing. Cancer is natural, but we fight it aggressively. Farting is natural, but it's still considered rude. In some parts of the world, it's "natural" to belch after meals and find it complimentary.

tl;dr - there's always this.

In terms of your response, Jobe, I would just caution that you should be prepared to take questions on why you think homosexuality is a choice and perhaps present some evidence as to humans being 'born straight'. It's not a wildly popular or well-supported notion and you are in a community consisting of people with a wide range of sexualities.

Brandon

Actually Noelle she is completely within her rights to refuse to discuss that point of view. Just like there are topics that I adamantly refuse to discuss no matter how hard people drill me about it. Respecting the boundries of others is part of being civil

As to that opinion, I disagree with it but at the same time I can understand how people can come to that conclusion

Noelle

I never said she was obligated to answer, just that she should prepare for it to be questioned, given the setting we're in and the particular subforum we're in. You know as well as I do that posting in this section makes your assertions open to being questioned. It was cautionary, not demanding.

Brandon