Outlook 2013 question.

Started by Blinkin, January 30, 2016, 12:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

Hello all:

I recently started using outlook 2013... yeah, I know that it's an older version, but I use what I have...

Anyway, I've gotten my account set up and downloading email fine. I'm actually seeing more than I expect, but that's ok. The problem is that I'm only seeing today's mail, or unread mail. If I don't check it for a day or two, I will see new mail, but once it's downloaded, if I close or switch out of outlook, all that I see when I come back to the window is today's mail. The moment that I read it, or it flips to a new day, the mail is gone.

So, if I wanted to reply to something, but have to wait a couple of hours, when I come back, the message is no longer in my inbox and I can't seem to figure out any way to find it again. Everything that I read says that it's still there... just not appearing.

I've followed all of the options offered by Microsoft answers, but hasn't done any good... is there something that I'm missing in the menues?

On a side note, how in hell do I get rid of the preview pane? Anytime I get an email with a link, it's automatically opening to the page, even if I haven't opened the email.

Thanks,

Blinkin
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Beguile's Mistress

I'm not sure how these things work on the version of Outlook you are using but your account may be automatically archiving (AutoArchive) them every day.  You should be able to change that setting.

Blinkin

Well, that's something new... now to find where that is.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Beguile's Mistress

Maybe the following link with help with some hints.  I used a Google search to look for info.

http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook/aarchive.html

Blinkin

I tried to uncheck auto archive, going file, options, advanced... and things fall apart there. I click advanced and everything closes with no further options.

My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Orange Marmalade

What kind of mail account are you connecting it to? Gmail? Some other service? Do you know if it is POP/IMAP/Exchange?

It could be that you only have it set to sync a certain number of recent messages or only '1 day'.

Blinkin

It's attached to a POP server, a Time Warner account.

When I set it up, via the wizard, it didn't give me any options to change anything outside of the usual, account name, password, etc. I'm still looking for an account setting option, but it looks like everything spread all over the place.

And, I still have an account to transfer over for my wife, who hates email but gets a fair amount of business related messages fairly regularly.

Question. Is Outlook actually downloading the messages, or just copying them? When I delete them, they end up in my trash folder... where I have to go periodically and delete them... how do you set it to automatically delete those?
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

The Dark Raven

Quote from: Blinkin on January 31, 2016, 04:59:37 AM
It's attached to a POP server, a Time Warner account.

When I set it up, via the wizard, it didn't give me any options to change anything outside of the usual, account name, password, etc. I'm still looking for an account setting option, but it looks like everything spread all over the place.

And, I still have an account to transfer over for my wife, who hates email but gets a fair amount of business related messages fairly regularly.

Question. Is Outlook actually downloading the messages, or just copying them? When I delete them, they end up in my trash folder... where I have to go periodically and delete them... how do you set it to automatically delete those?

Outlook does not and has never (in my experience since Win98) deleted the messages in trash.  You have to clear them yourself, or you can leave them there forever.  When I used it for personal use, I did that.  I do the same at work (which uses Microsoft Exchange).

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

MasterMischief

I believe the default for Outlook is to download the e-mail and not leave a copy on the server.  I could be wrong.

Also, if you have a rule set up, it could be automatically moving e-mails out of your inbox somewhere else.  Since you used the Wizard, I rather doubt that is the case.  You would have to manually set up a rule.  Still, something else to check.

I also believe Outlook marks e-mails as read if they are displayed for X seconds.  May not be related at all, but maybe since you say you are only seeing the most recent e-mails.