First presidential debate discussion

Started by Vekseid, September 27, 2008, 02:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Any thoughts or comments? I only caught the end of it, where John apparently got back on his feet.

BK Geno

There was no contest, John got butchered for most of the debate. It was only at the end that he even began to mount a respectable defense, but by then he had already lost. I am very disappointed with G.O.P. this time, though not as bad as I was with Bush Jr. They have been fumbling, dropping, and turning over the ball every chance they get.

My guess is that Obama gets the presidency, and we have our first black president. Lets just hope he is not the first black president to be assassinated as well...
Panic is ALWAYS an appropriate answer!

Jefepato

I'm just curious: does anybody think that the candidate they support in the election lost the debate?

OldSchoolGamer

I have to admit I didn't watch the debate.  There are no real, spontaneous questions, no real engagement between the two candidates, too many regurgitated sound bites, and no specifics. 

This guy could have stood in for either candidate:

BK Geno

...True, Ty, too true. Sad as it is, that would have been a much better, or hell, it would have been a debate, not a rehearsed arguement.
Panic is ALWAYS an appropriate answer!

RubySlippers

Quote from: Jefepato on September 27, 2008, 03:11:10 AM
I'm just curious: does anybody think that the candidate they support in the election lost the debate?

Nope Bob Barr the Libertarian candidate wasn't in the debate, seems fair to me.  >:(  There are several parties with people running some likely as qualified or at least have new ideas and are honest on what has to be done and they don't get a shot to really compete.

I have an idea if a candidate qualified for Federal matching funds then any debates that are arranged they should be required to have them be present.

The Overlord

Quote from: BK Geno on September 27, 2008, 02:58:57 AM

Lets just hope he is not the first black president to be assassinated as well...

Off topic but given the political climate these days, this single event could touch off race wars and/or liberal vs. conservative killings and violence on an unprecedented scale. I hope the uber-right isn't this stupid, because they're going to get a war they can't win.

Inerrant Lust

Quote from: Jefepato on September 27, 2008, 03:11:10 AM

I do. :( John McCain dominated the exchange, and it wasn't what he said; but how he said it. Sure, he came off a bit condescending and most of his arguements were things that he took out of context; but he had control. And sadly, more voters listen to how you say things than what you say,

Elven Sex Goddess

I vote for McCain as winning the debate.   Though barely and only because.  Obama, is suppose to be the holy grail of debates this election. However, in all debates from the primary ones and this first presidential one.  He has failed to live up.  He has not transcended his ability to give a speech to an audience to debating an opponent.  Has he done poorly, not really.  Not by a standard of matching his peers.   But in the standard of matching up his campaign stumps.  Where he can enthrall a crowd. 

ShrowdedPoet

I just wish that someone!  Some political character would get up in front of the news, in front of the other political characters and shout "Don't you see!  Isn't it clear?!  History is repeating itself only this time it will be worse!!!"  That's what I want to hear.  I want to see someone in political power that knows this and that will take steps to correct it, help fix it. . .acknowledging it is the first step.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Vekseid

It's important to remember that Obama and McCain chose foreign policy for the first debate because foreign policy is McCain's strong point. The idea, from Obama's perspective, is that he can lower expectations for his next to debates.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Vekseid on September 29, 2008, 12:25:24 PM
It's important to remember that Obama and McCain chose foreign policy for the first debate because foreign policy is McCain's strong point. The idea, from Obama's perspective, is that he can lower expectations for his next to debates.

. . .why would he want to lower expectations?
Ons and Offs

Vekseid

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on September 29, 2008, 12:30:58 PM
. . .why would he want to lower expectations?

Because polls tend to move in a wave.  He may get a 2 point bump from doing his best, but it will fade to something like .5 by the time of the next debate, during which he will be expected to perform much better, so he loses more in the second and third debates than he originally would.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Vekseid on September 29, 2008, 12:37:09 PM
Because polls tend to move in a wave.  He may get a 2 point bump from doing his best, but it will fade to something like .5 by the time of the next debate, during which he will be expected to perform much better, so he loses more in the second and third debates than he originally would.

*understands now*  Well, daddy was pissed. . .he'd sort of come to like Obama and was thinking about voting for him instead of Nader (I think he was going to vote for Nader. . .he was at least voting for someone green party) but Obamas lack of everything make him mad and he's lost all liking for Obama. . .I still have a little hope though.
Ons and Offs

OldSchoolGamer

One of the biggest casualties of the crash now underway is going to be the notion of American exceptionalism.  For decades now, Americans have been under the delusion that nothing bad can happen here, that somehow we are immune to the laws of nature and economics. 

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: TyTheDnDGuy on October 09, 2008, 01:25:46 AM
One of the biggest casualties of the crash now underway is going to be the notion of American exceptionalism.  For decades now, Americans have been under the delusion that nothing bad can happen here, that somehow we are immune to the laws of nature and economics. 

Do not say that because not all of us Americans have been completely clueless idiots.  Many inteligent people have seen it coming. . .
Ons and Offs

Kurzyk

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on October 10, 2008, 09:44:02 AM
Do not say that because not all of us Americans have been completely clueless idiots.  Many inteligent people have seen it coming. . .

Yep thats right my cousin saw the signs and reinvested in treasury bonds.