It's time for a third gender option.

Started by Vekseid, May 29, 2009, 08:38:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenthorn

Quote from: Greenthorn on May 29, 2009, 10:35:00 AM
Err and why not just do grouping...

lords and ladies in ONE group

dames/knights in another

I mean mentors are ONE group despite gender...and aren't mentors supposed to be reg members who help?  So ummm yeah..

(excuse any strangeness in the above...Today is day one without a cigarette for me arghhhhhh)

For clarity...this would need to be done with the symbols for the reason Bliss stated (about people only wanting to write with a certain gender..although I think those people are probably a minority)

Vekseid

The thing is, gender association is still a membergroup assignment. I would prefer to avoid creating more work for my staff...

Valerian

Okay, shotgun approach -- let me just rattle off a few potentially useful words.

Peer
Esquire (traditionally male, but now used so seldom that I don't think that matters)
Chancellor
Chamberlain
Castellan
Honorable (a gender-neutral title used in England for the son or daughter of a baron or viscount)
Don (in English, at least, was once exclusively for male scholars but now isn't so rigidly used)
Fellow (again, once exclusively male but now more gender-neutral, as in Fellow of the College of Surgeons, etc.)
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Bliss

Quote from: Greenthorn on May 29, 2009, 10:35:00 AM
Err and why not just do grouping...

lords and ladies in ONE group

dames/knights in another

I mean mentors are ONE group despite gender...and aren't mentors supposed to be reg members who help?  So ummm yeah..

(excuse any strangeness in the above...Today is day one without a cigarette for me arghhhhhh)

Grouping the levels like that would defeat the purpose of having an easy, at-a-glance way of knowing another member's gender; the Mentor level has a single designation because it's one of the places in which gender doesn't actually play into the function of the role in any way.

All of this is moot anyway, as the point under discussion is NOT to create a huge upheaval in extant, working, established systems in designations - it's JUST to come up with a name, for the existing levels, to apply to a third gender grouping. If you have any suggestions for that, GreenThorn, I'd love to see them. You know lots of great words. :)

Edit for Valpost: Oooh, I like Peer.
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Bliss

AUGH, I don't know why I didn't think of this before! I'm in the SCA, and there's a level for people who have made a certain achievement, be they male or female, called LAUREL! What think you, kind gentles? ;)
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Xillen

Laurel sounds like a name to me. It doesn't have any other meaning to me, but I could blame my limited english.

Call them Peer, and everyone will blame them for all their IRC disconnects! :P

HairyHeretic

Laird? Though generally male, I believe you can have females who hold title to a Lairdship.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Valerian

The ancient Greeks traditionally gave a wreath of laurel leaves to those who had just won some distinction.  But yes, it is also a female first name.

On the other hand, an IRC reference in regards to peer flies right over my head...
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Vekseid

Ultimately I'm going to run the list by the people involved, of course. Men and women aren't going to have the final say : )

Bliss

Quote from: Valerian on May 29, 2009, 10:57:48 AM
The ancient Greeks traditionally gave a wreath of laurel leaves to those who had just won some distinction.  But yes, it is also a female first name.

On the other hand, an IRC reference in regards to peer flies right over my head...

*bolds above* This is the root of the word as I have seen it used in the SCA, and in which I intended it, although I am aware that it is also a female first name in some places.

Just chalk it up as a suggestion for the folks concerned to consider, please, Vek. :)
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Xillen

Quote from: Valerian on May 29, 2009, 10:57:48 AMOn the other hand, an IRC reference in regards to peer flies right over my head...

Pretty often on IRC, if a user is disconnected (so not when someone quits himself), it will list something like:

* Xillen Quit (Connection reset by Peer)

Trieste

... I would extend a laurel, and a hearty handshake to our new ...

Laird is very cool, but I don't know that it wouldn't conjure up visions of mis-spelled "lord".

Omniferious

Hey, how about Liege? It's the gender-neutral for lord and starts with an L.

Mithlomwen

What about the word Ling ?  We have NING for a new person, and it's gender neutral....would Ling work somewhat the same? 

Just a thought....
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Vekseid

Quote from: Omniferious on May 29, 2009, 11:18:55 AM
Hey, how about Liege? It's the gender-neutral for lord and starts with an L.

Hah, I think you win.

Bliss

Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Xillen

Indeed, that sounds like a perfect match :)

So what's the Knight/Dame variant gonna be?

Bliss

I liked Justicar for that, since Vek said he liked the warrior-flavor for the donation-level membership badges.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Vekseid

Guardian, Sentinel, Preliator, Champion, hrm.

Justiciar implies someone who can enforce rules, cool as it sounds >_>

Bliss

Maybe Peer would work for that level? Implies a higher level of gentry just as Knight and Dame do. (And I don't see there being any REAL confusion between that and the standard connection reset message on IRC, honestly)
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Caeli

I think Peer works for the Knight-Dame variant.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Xillen

Dame doesn't strike me as a warrior-type person, which made me think Noble would very well fit on the Knight/Dame level.

If you want the warrior-type person, Champion sounds best to me out of the mentioned options. What about Hero?

Relax, the IRC thingy was just a joke :P Still, I wonder how many people have actually heard of Peer as a social rank? I sure haven't, and it sounds really odd to me.

Caeli

Noble would also work.

I've used peer (peer of the realm?) in my writing more than once. It's not that obscurely used, I don't think, but I really don't think people would get confused by its IRC usage. xD
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Omniferious

The only time I've heard Peer used as a social rank was when I would call my priest Peer at church, and then that was short for something else. It only made sense to me once I looked up the meaning of the word, and even then nobility was the fourth of six companions. Maybe something more immediately obvious should be chosen?

Xillen

It's just an ongoing joke among people that frequent IRC a lot.

Since it says "Connection reset by peer", this mysterious and completely fictional "Peer" being is getting the blame of it all, occasionally included by statements like "If only I could get my hands on Peer!"

But yes, it's a joke, hence the :P smilie when I first mentioned it.