Fifty Shades trilogy by E.L. James

Started by Damnedangel, April 22, 2012, 09:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shjade

This will inevitably lead to the ultimate in literature-destroying crossovers, of course:

Fifty Shades of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Oniya

Quote from: Valentinian on July 17, 2012, 05:02:39 PM
Wait, what? A Study in Scarlet? Really?

"Let us see what we have here..." Holmes said cordially, gripping my rod with a strength for which I should hardly have given him credit. "You have been in Afghanistan, I perceive."

"How on earth did you know that?" I asked in astonishment. "You were told, no doubt."

"Nothing of the sort, dear Doctor. I arrived at the conclusion without being conscious of intermediate steps. I have a kind of intuition that way, which facilitates matters wonderfully.  But sometimes a subject requires the, ah, fullness of my attention… then I have to see things with my own eyes. “

He paused to shove his hands into the bath robe.

“Come along, Doctor. And take off your trousers. I shall demonstrate that it is all quite elementary.”

Have you been reading Michi's RP's?  O_o
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Saidi

Quote from: Valentinian on July 17, 2012, 05:02:39 PM
Wait, what? A Study in Scarlet? Really?

"Let us see what we have here..." Holmes said cordially, gripping my rod with a strength for which I should hardly have given him credit. "You have been in Afghanistan, I perceive."

"How on earth did you know that?" I asked in astonishment. "You were told, no doubt."

"Nothing of the sort, dear Doctor. I arrived at the conclusion without being conscious of intermediate steps. I have a kind of intuition that way, which facilitates matters wonderfully.  But sometimes a subject requires the, ah, fullness of my attention… then I have to see things with my own eyes. “

He paused to shove his hands into the bath robe.

“Come along, Doctor. And take off your trousers. I shall demonstrate that it is all quite elementary.”

lmbo!! Imagine THAT version in theaters. I wonder of Robert Downy Jr. would go for it.  lol
Laughter is the shortest distance between two people. --Victor Borge

Help me revive my muse?

Oniya

Quote from: Saidi on July 17, 2012, 07:05:38 PM
lmbo!! Imagine THAT version in theaters. I wonder of Robert Downy Jr. would go for it.  lol

I was sort of hoping that Benedict Cumberbatch would go for it - but that's just me.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Saidi

Quote from: Oniya on July 17, 2012, 07:07:55 PM
I was sort of hoping that Benedict Cumberbatch would go for it - but that's just me.  ;D

I had to do a little bit of goole-fu but after checking him out I would not mind him either lol  ;)
Laughter is the shortest distance between two people. --Victor Borge

Help me revive my muse?

Chris Brady

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 15, 2012, 11:18:48 PM
Wait, he goes both genders?  Then I retract my statement.

Explanation:

Main reason BDSM with Lesbians as the only ones doing the activities is because of an old ruling, where men weren't allowed to be seen dominating female subs.  Although I believe that's been changed, the courts and the various lawmakers are still uncomfortable about it.

And the fact that it's a cartoon doesn't stop some countries to charge people for owning/reading about it.  It's gotten pretty stupid and silly.

But having lesbians go about it is a-OK! Sometimes the inherent hypocrisy of society is really irritating...

Forgot to add that women dominating men, and men dominating men was also perfectly fine, but men dominating willing women was verboten and could get you jail time.

Any hoo...  I'm more worried about the quality of writing, rather than the sexing up of old classics.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Miss Lilly

So...I'm up to Chapter 22, and I'm reluctantly forced to admit that I'm starting to see why the housewife set is all a twitter.  The sex scenes aren't as horrible as I expected them to be, and if I let my imagination do some, shall we say, creative editing........

Anyway...I still find the writing annoying, and the repetative usage bugs the crap out of me.  But I guess I can see the appeal.
Want to get wild in the west?
Visit Lola's!

Shjade

Quote from: Water Lilly on July 18, 2012, 12:06:21 AM
Anyway...I still find the writing annoying, and the repetative usage bugs the crap out of me.  But I guess I can see the appeal.

Is that you seeing the appeal, or your inner goddess?
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Miss Lilly

I think my Inner Goddess and my subconscious are fighting over it....there may be pom poms involved...  ;)
Visit Lola's!

Stone

Quote from: Water Lilly on July 18, 2012, 02:06:29 AM
I think my Inner Goddess and my subconscious are fighting over it....there may be pom poms involved...  ;)

I'd rather read this story. Just sayin'.
The sphere was solid with Plunkett, and only waited for someone to be in; like, like the meaning of a word waiting for a word to be the meaning of. - John Crowley, Engine Summer.

To manipulate a man is a careful project. Too light a hand, and he follows his own whim; too heavy a hand, and he will turn on you. - Thief II: The Metal Age.

Isobel

Well I've just read the first chapter.  The main character is sympathetic, full of self-doubt and feeling less attractive than she is.  The action is portrayed with her perceptions interacting with her own feelings and self-image all the time.  There's tension and humour.

So far, so good.
Girls R Sexy!

Miss Lilly

Quote from: Stone on July 18, 2012, 02:13:50 AM
I'd rather read this story. Just sayin'.

Aaaaaaaaaand...plot bunnies start running rampant.....up there... ;D

Pyjama's
Sleep over
Pillow fights

...I kinda like where this is going! ;)
Visit Lola's!

Silverfyre

And yet the main character has no idea what "stranger danger", common sense or literature is, despite supposedly being a college-educated English Literature student. 

Avis habilis

Oniya

I used to know many college educated people who had no 'common sense' or understanding of 'stranger danger' (which is rather over-taught, in my opinion, to the point of becoming a danger in itself.)  I called them 'my hallmates' in polite company.

The literature bit is rather face-palming, though.

And Avis - that link is worth it for the gifs alone.  'Ohhhh, myyyyy!'

Silverfyre

Quote from: Avis habilis on July 18, 2012, 12:29:04 PM
Looks like it's not going over too well on GoodReads.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/340987215

Ha! That was brilliant.  She seems to have given it the Fal treatment with the gifs too.

Avis habilis

Bert is definitely my favorite. "Did I really read that? Oh God, I did."

Dovel

Quote from: Avis habilis on July 18, 2012, 12:46:40 PM
Bert is definitely my favorite. "Did I really read that? Oh God, I did."

I like the Rocky Horror one. I'm going to save that. ~grins~
Now we live, tomorrow not
Enjoy your pleasures, lest they rot
Let not them pass this very day
For on the morrow regret may with you stay

Rolo

Not sure, but I kinda got the impression that she didn't care for the book.  Just something in all her subtle jabs.  LMAO

Excellent link Avis!!

Seduction is merely hypnosis with desire!

-KAI-

Dirty old man in training!
Sneaky Little Bastard!

Izzie Aditi

Oh God, I can hardly breathe from laughing so hard.
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

Oniya

I'm circulating that on my social media.  It's already been picked up and shared by someone else.

Isobel

Lol, someone had fun with THAT!

That's just one of 25,000  :o  reviews though, 140,000 ratings averaging 3.72.

A quick look shows 38% gave it 5*.

It looks like lots of people really enjoy it.  Perhaps it depends whether you can suspend your disbelief.  Some jealousy too I wouldn't be surprised, more recently.

Anyway I'm positively looking for things people might be enjoying in the writing, and finding some so far.  I don't think its success is all down to luck or timing or promotion.
Girls R Sexy!

Chris Brady

Quote from: Isobel on July 18, 2012, 02:58:33 PMI don't think its success is all down to luck or timing or promotion.

Hate to break it to you, but most of it, is.  It's how marketing works, after all.  In fact all marketing relies on those three factors to various degrees.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Silverfyre

It sure as hell isn't the writing, bad editing and paper-cut out, one dimensional characters. 

Chris Brady

Most of humanity are gullible sheep that will follow the herd.  No one wants to think for themselves, because that might mean having to take responsibility for their actions.

And I'm not saying that because I'm bitter (which I am a little bit) but because most of the news (which is mostly sensationalist) stories, and just watching people on the street in my home town (Which I have a hard time believing that a single city would actually be unique in this regard), not to mention a couple of stories of people's experience here on E.