Cleric-Fighter Multiclass

Started by Paradox, May 24, 2009, 06:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paradox

I'm joining a 3.5 edition D&D campaign in which my character will start at 9th level. In almost every 3.5 game I've ever played, I've been a cleric. I figure it's time to mix things up a bit, so I wanted any D&D players' input on a decent way to build a Fighter-Cleric Multiclass. He'll be either human or half-elf, and his focus will still be on the divine side of things, so Cleric will most likely be the dominant focus of his classes.

Any suggestions?

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Corinthi

Honestly?

9 Levels of Cleric. War Domain. Take spells that allow you to smite your enemies. Spell levels are just too valuable to trade off. 1 level of Fighter costs you Raise Dead. 3 levels costs you Restoration.

Now, if you want to try something fun, do a Cleric Archer build. Elf, War Domain and another good archery domain, Greater Magic Weapon on your bow, maybe 50 spell storing arrows. Could be a lot of fun and a really different Cleric flavor.

Paradox

Hmm..you may have a point there, except that this is a homebrow setting in which Elves are exceedingly rare due to the result of some cliche great war. A half-elf is as close as I could go.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Corinthi

All you really need is a Diety with Bow as a favored weapon, so you get Proficiency and Weapon Focus for free via the War Domain.

There's just a few elven deities who can qualify.

Jeramiahh

One good option I've always liked for a battle cleric is the Favored Soul, from Complete Divine, I believe. They're to a cleric what a sorcerer is to a wizard, as well as getting a few fighter-like perks; weapon focus and spec, if I recall, as well as some energy resistance. They lose heavy armor and turning, though, and are multi-ability dependent (They use both Wis and Cha for spellcasting), though you can dump one if you just go with buffs and heals.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Lavaske

Cleric-Fighter is a cool combo, but I actually find that Druid-Fighter can be surprisingly good.  Fighters get tons of feats, and Druids have awesome abilities, especially whilst in wild-shape.

Xillen

If you want to go cleric heavy, go full cleric.

If you want to combine Clerics with Archers, take Zen Archery:

Zen Archery [General] (CWar p106)
Requires Wisdom 13, Base Attack Bonus +1
You may use your Wisdom modifier instead of your Dexterity modifier when making ranged attacks.

Paradox

Quote from: Josh the Aspie on May 24, 2009, 10:25:59 PM
You'd also need them to offer the war domain to be able to take said domain.  :P

Divine metamagic will be your friend.  It will let you cast higher level spells as affected by metamagic, but without the spell slot adjustment.  One of the favored for Cleric-Zillas is Divine Metamagic Persist.  This allows you to take your highest level buff spells and have them last 24 hours.

I'd recommend you persist at least a few group-buff spells though.

Heh..that combination is so damned broken, dude. The Errata for Complete Divine did away with a lot of the advantages that Divine Metamagic bestowed; still...if my GM doesn't realize that, it was already a possibility in my mind. Thanks though.

Druid-Fighter would be interesting, but I have a special place in my heart for Clerics.

Xillen-- Which supplement is CWar?

Xillen

Complete Warrior

It's also in one of the 3.0 splat books.

Paradox

Err..duh, sorry. I had not consumed any coffee when I asked that.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to Complete Warrior. I only have Complete Divine, Complete Psionic, Adventurer, and Arcane.

Xillen

Quote from: Paradox on May 25, 2009, 08:36:12 AM
Err..duh, sorry. I had not consumed any coffee when I asked that.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to Complete Warrior. I only have Complete Divine, Complete Psionic, Adventurer, and Arcane.

Ah, well, there's not more to the feat than what I just wrote, so you could always try :P

I played a divine archer with my IRL group once. FR setting, War and Elf domain (Gave me Point Blank Shot and Time Stop/Cat's Grace as domain spells). Did my fair share of damage during the day, and in the evening I still had most of my spells to patch the players back up.