UNDERTALE: The Scattered Story. [Custom Mechanics] [Interest Check!]

Started by FarFetched, October 13, 2015, 01:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarFetched

bro, listen,
i don't really get why you're doing this. isn't this world's enough?
it's a lot of work, creating an entire reality just to escape the timeline...

... that look on your face, it seems like you've made up your mind already.
you'll kill us all, for a dimension where all this will happen... all over again.
heh, i guess you could say we're pretty boned.
your hand's on the lever already. you're really rushing things tonight, hunh?

Gaster...

if you continue down this path, i can guarantee...

https://youtu.be/1BvKt4pRWmE?t=13s

y o u ' r e   g o n n a   h a v e   a   b a d   t i m e .

Hi! This is Farfetched here. Right now, I'm collecting people and ideas for a future System-based RP set in the world of Undertale. If you haven't played Undertale, well, you should go do that. Even if you're not interested in this group game, play it anyways. Yeah. You read that right. Go play Undertale right now. To anyone else, welcome to the interest thread for my little pet project!

As stated in the title, the mechanics-system for this RP game will entirely written up by me. No D&D, no Pathfinder. You can take a look at what I have so far here. I'm doing my best to squash out any exploits, imbalances, and bugs while I continue working on the system, but there may be some kinks to work out with it when the game starts. Be prepared for that.

As for the theme, The form of this game will take a non-adult, system-based, group RP game. While It's gonna have some unique story elements, it's going to include some serious homage to Undertale's theme, gameplay, and characters. I'm still hammering out a campaign for players to actually work with, but for now I'm merely looking for anyone interested.

Enjoy! Feel free to leave a question or comment below.

Lustful Bride

*The Idea that one day this game might be made...fills me with DETERMINATION!* ;D

FarFetched

Hehe, thank you. Getting a response to this thread, after I had lost all hope of interest, has also filled me with DETERMINATION.

Lustful Bride

Glad to hear that ^3^

I was curious, what kinds of characters will we be playing? Monsters or monsters and humans?

MissFire

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."
    - Sima Yi

FarFetched

Quote from: Lustful Bride on November 27, 2015, 02:14:13 PM
Glad to hear that ^3^

I was curious, what kinds of characters will we be playing? Monsters or monsters and humans?
Ideally monsters, but instead of just having certain kinds of monsters- creatures would be custom-made; created by selecting from a list of attributes.

For example, a player could create a monster by selecting some of the following attributes;

All Bones- 3BP: You may lack skin, but at least you have a winning smile! +2 to deception checks, +2 to spooktimidation checks. Items applied to the skin have no affect on you. Milk-based items heal double.

DETERMINED- 10BP: Through sheer force of will, your DETERMINATION makes up for your shortcomings. +1 to all checks. Can live 3 turns after your HP reaches 0. In trying times, you can forfeit your character's life to gain immense power and +15 to all attributes until the end of a fight. This ability can be activated when you would otherwise die. Use it to protect those dear to you.

Wings- 3BP: You can fly!

Ghostly- 7BP: Only magic can harm a ghost. Unfortunately for you, other monsters are like, MADE of magic. You are immune to all kinds of physical damage, can float, gain +3 to stealth checks and  +3 to spooktimidation checks. -2 to all applicable defense rolls. Existential despair causes you to go last in the turn order. Pick an object to bind your soul to. All other monster attributes apply to this object instead of you. This object can float and preform skill checks on your behalf. If the object is destroyed, you may Pick another, similar object.

Tentacles- 5BP: Ooooh my. +1 to all rolls against schoolgirls and depraved anime fanatics. You can tri-weild items.

FABULOUS legs- 3BP: Gain +2 to all Flirt checks. You have the respect (and/or ire) of a certain TV celebrity.

These are just examples I cooked up on my phone, but there are others. Most players would start out with 20AB, and pick and choose from the list.

EdwardShane

I'm a bit torn, admittedly.  On the one hand, I absolutely adore Undertale and would love to play in a game involving it, (not to mention I've been having an itch to write Sans) but on the other I highly prefer freeform.  System games aren't my thing so much, though I have made exceptions before....

I'll give it some thought, and leave best wishes for some success to come your way regardless.  Stay Determined!

FarFetched

Quote from: EdwardShane on November 29, 2015, 12:10:44 PM
I'm a bit torn, admittedly.  On the one hand, I absolutely adore Undertale and would love to play in a game involving it, (not to mention I've been having an itch to write Sans) but on the other I highly prefer freeform.  System games aren't my thing so much, though I have made exceptions before....

I'll give it some thought, and leave best wishes for some success to come your way regardless.  Stay Determined!

The way I have it laid out, the "combat" is suprisingly freeform- the stats would only come in when defending against something, or doing something out of combat. Essentially, the fight/mercy mechanic is going to be implemented in a way similar to the original game, and FIGHTing will be similarly super-basic. I'll get more into this when I have time. Now that there are quite a few people interested, this game is long overdue for a World-building thread to hash these mechanics out formally.

EdwardShane

Ah, I see!  Well, I shall certainly keep an eye out to see what all you have in mind, then.  I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

FarFetched

FarFetched

The world-building thread has been UPDATED, to anyone interested.

I've added two new sections tonight; STATS and Skill Checks.

Essentially, I invented a stats system made purely for defense and skill checks, but with a hidden downside. While STATS are powerful, if any single stat becomes too high, it can cause complications with other monsters. It's kind of like a double-edged sword, in that respect.

You also may notice there's twice as many Skill-Checks as there are STATS... even though Skill-checks are super-dependent on stats. This involves "magic-bonuses", which I'll get more into in the magic section.

EdwardShane

Looks rather intriguing so far.  My main question concerning the stats so far would be, how high is too high?  Like, what kind of limits are we talking about before the negative aspects kick in?

FarFetched

That is a darn good question!

I don't know.

I have to get Monster Parts - the primary starting point for the stats system - hammered out and roughly balanced before I can give any estimate on that. However, I plan to have the "triggers" vary from NPC to NPC. The "trigger" for a specific stat could be comically low for some NPCs, while others might have their triggers set so high that you have to gain a lot of LOVE to set it off.

EDIT: My thinking behind it was the notion is that I didn't want there to be a "best" build for this system. Statistically, there isn't really any difference between a balanced build and a build focused on a single stat; both of those builds might miss out on something eventually. I was hoping it would encourage building the character the player wants to be, rather than the most efficient character possible.

EdwardShane

That's an understandable line of thought.  I have a feeling my character will be making at least some monsters jittery; I am planning on them being a skeleton, after all.  (however, that is all I have thought out so far...I do need to see if I can find a wacky font to go along with the thus far tradition, though.)

FarFetched

Aaaand the Monster Creation page is done.

I haven't formalized how combat is going to be yet, but a character's WC is the equivalent of the ACT button in the original Undertale. Instead of selecting things to say from a prompt, your character is literally able to say whatever he wants in a fight, provided what he says is within his WC. Just like Undertale, could be used to Spare, Weaken, or even enrage opponents!