Xavier's Institute For Higher Learning ~ CLOSED!

Started by persephone325, August 01, 2016, 11:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinaFlower

Quote from: Black Howling on August 12, 2016, 03:01:11 PM
I'm gonna be direct here. Please do not take it offensively, I just feel this method will lead to less confusion.

Persephone and I are not comfortable with even the possibility, or potential of this power being used in game. Even to be achievable. That opens the door for it to happen, and we don't think it's a suitable power for the game. That said, if you want your character to WANT that power, then that's fine. Being that she can copy most anything else by enough visual observation, it stands to reason she might think she can do this. It will not be possible, however. It's too similar to Rogue's power, without the fear and inevitable horror her's presents.

If you have further questions on how we want this handled, please PM the both of us for further explanations.

Okay, thank you. That is all I was saying is that I want her to try to get the power. And that if she ever did get it would not be what people think. But I was not trying to say I want her to have the power. I was a bit flusterd because I did not feel like people understood what I was trying to say.

persephone325

Quote from: DinaFlower on August 12, 2016, 03:34:47 PM
Okay, thank you. That is all I was saying is that I want her to try to get the power. And that if she ever did get it would not be what people think. But I was not trying to say I want her to have the power. I was a bit flusterd because I did not feel like people understood what I was trying to say.

These things will happen sometimes. Might happen a bit more with me, depending on when you catch me. (Just waking up and exhausted at the end of the day are the worst.) But we're willing to work with players! And sometimes what's in your head doesn't translate well when put into words. It happens! ^^
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Intimate Ink

Quote from: DinaFlower on August 12, 2016, 03:34:47 PM

Hi Dina,

Ink here.  Just a player, so please don't take my player-formed suggestions as anything more or less than that.

I have noticed that you sound like you really like the idea of a meta-power; that is, a power that deals with other powers.  It sounds like you are struggling with something that addresses this desire, but is also something that creates a large base of people for you to interact with?

May I suggest considering something that is more about adding or swapping powers instead of repressing or mimicing?  It sounds like it migth meet your needs, and at the same time, generate a bit more play than some of the alternatives.

It would, obviously, need to be constructed in a way that a) accounts for mutant abilities, b) ideally allows for both character and player consent, and c) has easy-to-understand power caps (ie the ability to transfer an omega-level power to another character would be dangerously close to an omega power in and of itself!)

Given characters like Leon Nunez (who would be way over-powered as-is, I suspect,) in the X-Men universe, though, if you are willing to put some creative thought and system design into it, I think some ideas might come up.  For instance, a jeweler who can fashion a single pendant  in existence at a time that can gift the power of flight to a character with mutant DNA 24 hours, before that pendant breaks and must be remade. 

That's just one small for-instance example, though: you could let your mind run around with possible creative angles and powers.

Aida Rose

Quote from: Intimate Ink on August 12, 2016, 05:50:23 PM
Hi Dina,

Ink here.  Just a player, so please don't take my player-formed suggestions as anything more or less than that.

I have noticed that you sound like you really like the idea of a meta-power; that is, a power that deals with other powers.  It sounds like you are struggling with something that addresses this desire, but is also something that creates a large base of people for you to interact with?

May I suggest considering something that is more about adding or swapping powers instead of repressing or mimicing?  It sounds like it migth meet your needs, and at the same time, generate a bit more play than some of the alternatives.

It would, obviously, need to be constructed in a way that a) accounts for mutant abilities, b) ideally allows for both character and player consent, and c) has easy-to-understand power caps (ie the ability to transfer an omega-level power to another character would be dangerously close to an omega power in and of itself!)

Given characters like Leon Nunez (who would be way over-powered as-is, I suspect,) in the X-Men universe, though, if you are willing to put some creative thought and system design into it, I think some ideas might come up.  For instance, a jeweler who can fashion a single pendant  in existence at a time that can gift the power of flight to a character with mutant DNA 24 hours, before that pendant breaks and must be remade. 

That's just one small for-instance example, though: you could let your mind run around with possible creative angles and powers.

That's such a great idea! It reminds me of Seth from Misfits. He could take powers and then give the powers he took to someone else. So people'd sell him their powers and then he'd sell it to someone else. He couldn't actually use the powers himself. I don't know if that'd be a no-go, because of the taking, but maybe there could be a consent clause?

DinaFlower

Quote from: Intimate Ink on August 12, 2016, 05:50:23 PM
Hi Dina,

That is Amber. My first OC I made for this. She is an Amp. She makes the powers of the people around her stronger! =) But with Allison I do not want her goal to be to learn to take copy powers. I do not want her to be able to do it unless it is so complex to the point she could only do it with one, maybe 2 tops in her entire life. But I want her to TRY to do it. It is her obsession.

DinaFlower

Quote from: persephone325 on August 12, 2016, 05:23:50 PM
These things will happen sometimes. Might happen a bit more with me, depending on when you catch me. (Just waking up and exhausted at the end of the day are the worst.) But we're willing to work with players! And sometimes what's in your head doesn't translate well when put into words. It happens! ^^

Oh yes. I can be bad at getting my thoughts into an understandable format at times. I get flustered with my friends some times because I will try to tell them something and they have no idea what I mean. But to me it is so simple I do not see how they can not get it. lol. I am just a tad different in the head.

persephone325

Quote from: DinaFlower on August 12, 2016, 06:35:21 PM
That is Amber. My first OC I made for this. She is an Amp. She makes the powers of the people around her stronger! =) But with Allison I do not want her goal to be to learn to take copy powers. I do not want her to be able to do it unless it is so complex to the point she could only do it with one, maybe 2 tops in her entire life. But I want her to TRY to do it. It is her obsession.

Ink did message Howling and myself with his idea, and we think (now that I'm pretty sure I understand what you mean. lol) that something can be worked out for you in regards to this idea. :-)
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

DinaFlower

Quote from: persephone325 on August 12, 2016, 06:50:53 PM
Ink did message Howling and myself with his idea, and we think (now that I'm pretty sure I understand what you mean. lol) that something can be worked out for you in regards to this idea. :-)

Okay! Thanks! So the best way for me to try to word this is. Allison wants to get to the point she can copy powers. I, as the player, do not want her to have it. At least not that easy. I do not think it would be any fun to play someone who has all the powers. But I want to RP Allison as trying to copy someone's power.

If the game ever gets to a point, story wise, that it seems like she would get to that point. I would still not want her to be able to see a power and be able to do it. If she ever gets to the point she can copy powers I want it to be that she has to spend years of research and practice to be able to do the power at the most basic level. And I would want it to be after a LOT of role play supports it. And even then only if the story backs it up.

So in closing. Allison wants the power. I do not want it. But if she does get it, I want it to be something that requires so much work that she would never be able to get more than 2 or 3 in her entire life. And that is if she lives to be an old lady.

Re Z L

I'm tempted to apply as well, since this thread keeps pulling at my attention...

Surge specifically.

A&A

persephone325

Quote from: Re Z L on August 12, 2016, 09:15:47 PM
I'm tempted to apply as well, since this thread keeps pulling at my attention...

Surge specifically.

Hey! Surge is definitely available for play!
I don't know.

Intimate Ink

Re Z L

Quote from: Intimate Ink on August 12, 2016, 10:02:16 PM
Uh oh, Julian gonna get his rival on.

Zzzzap!

Quote from: persephone325 on August 12, 2016, 09:19:02 PM
Hey! Surge is definitely available for play!

Sounds great, I'm piecing together the character sheet now, probably finish it up tomorrow or so.  I'm not finding anything in particular that stands out as far as face-claims go, so I may just use a comic-book picture if that's fine.
A&A

persephone325

Quote from: Re Z L on August 13, 2016, 12:17:25 AM
Sounds great, I'm piecing together the character sheet now, probably finish it up tomorrow or so.  I'm not finding anything in particular that stands out as far as face-claims go, so I may just use a comic-book picture if that's fine.

The GMs prefer you try and find an actual face claim to represent your character. You can use comic pictures in conjunction with that, but for characters who have a very human appearance, we need a face claim.

Characters like Beak, or Bliss, who have monstrous appearances, we can make an exception for though.
I don't know.

Re Z L

Quote from: persephone325 on August 13, 2016, 12:36:15 AM
The GMs prefer you try and find an actual face claim to represent your character. You can use comic pictures in conjunction with that, but for characters who have a very human appearance, we need a face claim.

Characters like Beak, or Bliss, who have monstrous appearances, we can make an exception for though.

Sounds like a plan, I'll keep looking around then
A&A

Re Z L

Found someone, I just had to remember that I watched Kamikaze Girls long long ago  ;D

Anna Tsuchiya plays PC Noriko Ashida (Surge)

[b][color=magenta]Anna Tsuchiya[/color][/b] plays PC [i]Noriko Ashida (Surge)[/i]
A&A

persephone325

Everyone waiting for sheets to be approved; sorry for the wait. Howling hasn't been feeling very well lately. So progress will be slow. Please bear with us. ^^
I don't know.

DinaFlower

DinaFlower

So, can anyone thing of a way to balance this out. I was thinking it would be cool for someone to be able to do anything they are told to do. But they HAVE to do anything they are told to do. But I feel like that would be 100% broken and pretty much be them having every power. So I am trying to balance it. I am thinking about giving them above normal strength/speed/reflexes and the like. But only being able to use them if told to do so. So if someone tells her to catch an arrow she can. If someone tells her to dodge a bullet she can. But if someone tells her to shoot lazer beams out of her eyes. SHe will not be able to do so.

AribethAmkiir

DinaFlower

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on August 16, 2016, 10:14:30 PM
So, if someone told her to "drop dead", she would do it?

Yeah... about that... Maybe there is a rule that she can not kill anyone?

Aida Rose

I feel like that power would need someone(s) to be really aware of and focused on YC? I could be wrong, but if shit hits the fan, most people will probably be more concerned with what they're doing than ways they can order her to be useful. This sounds like she'd need a handler...or a pokemon trainer.

DinaFlower

Quote from: Aida Rose on August 17, 2016, 11:09:28 AM
I feel like that power would need someone(s) to be really aware of and focused on YC? I could be wrong, but if shit hits the fan, most people will probably be more concerned with what they're doing than ways they can order her to be useful. This sounds like she'd need a handler...or a pokemon trainer.
She is not meant to be useful in a fight.

Cuchulainn

Quote from: DinaFlower on August 16, 2016, 10:07:42 PM
So, can anyone thing of a way to balance this out. I was thinking it would be cool for someone to be able to do anything they are told to do. But they HAVE to do anything they are told to do. But I feel like that would be 100% broken and pretty much be them having every power. So I am trying to balance it. I am thinking about giving them above normal strength/speed/reflexes and the like. But only being able to use them if told to do so. So if someone tells her to catch an arrow she can. If someone tells her to dodge a bullet she can. But if someone tells her to shoot lazer beams out of her eyes. SHe will not be able to do so.

I'm not really sure why you want this, actually two ideas spring to mind:

• Is that you want a character who rarely uses her powers or can only use them under certain circumstances.
  • You want a character that other people can control and order around
If it's the first, being ordered to do something isn't a great one. For example by the time I tell you to dodge the bullet it will probably have travelled through your body and same goes for the arrow but their are other options. For example it could be adrenal, only activating when their flight or fight response is triggered and so they need to feel they're in danger for it to activate. Or if you want it based around other people, perhaps it's olfactory and they can smell fear and that activates their powers, as other people get more scared she gets stronger/faster/etc. Could also use emphatic ability for that, able to feel the fear. Then you can also get the fun decision does she only use it to help people or does she intimidate people to make herself stronger?

If you want to be controlled, give them the powers and have them just have been brainwashed by a cult. Told that her mutant powers where gifted by a high power so that she might better serve others and that to use those powers in anyway for herself would be misuse of those powers and would pull her towards evil and damnation. A kind of power corrupts kind of deal.

Re Z L

Quote from: DinaFlower on August 16, 2016, 10:07:42 PM

You seem kind of hung up on the idea of being able to do whatever you need to be able to do in a given situation, what about some kind of illusionist?

Maybe she thinks her power of illusions is kind of lame or not impressive, so she uses it to seemingly "copy" other peoples' powers.  Maybe work in something such that they're semi-real as well as long as the person is fooled by them (fire feels like its burning, walls seem solid, etc).  Of course if the person is immune to them or somehow discovers that they're illusions they no longer affect them.

PS.

Sephy/BH, did you get my sheet that I sent?  I know you've been busy/not feeling well, just wanted to make sure you got it, thanks!
A&A

persephone325

Quote from: Re Z L on August 18, 2016, 04:52:53 PM
You seem kind of hung up on the idea of being able to do whatever you need to be able to do in a given situation, what about some kind of illusionist?

Maybe she thinks her power of illusions is kind of lame or not impressive, so she uses it to seemingly "copy" other peoples' powers.  Maybe work in something such that they're semi-real as well as long as the person is fooled by them (fire feels like its burning, walls seem solid, etc).  Of course if the person is immune to them or somehow discovers that they're illusions they no longer affect them.

PS.

Sephy/BH, did you get my sheet that I sent?  I know you've been busy/not feeling well, just wanted to make sure you got it, thanks!

We did. Howling's had A/C troubles and the heat has him feeling "ugh", and I've registered for fall classes and have been getting homework done for the first class. >.<
I don't know.