Von Hagens saws up sex corpses

Started by Spookie Monster, September 30, 2009, 06:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spookie Monster

Fair warning: A graphic photo accompanies the article.  If you don't want to see a guy with a saw posing with a "plastinated" pair of corpses engaged in the reverse cowgirl, don't click the following link.  If, on the other hand, you do want to see something like that... well, then it's the link for you.

Von Hagens saws up sex corpses

Showman pathologist Dr. Gunther von Hagens has taken an unusual step to get round local decency laws -- he's sawn up the stripped down bodies of a couple having sex, after a court banned him from putting the exhibits on display.

I for one find it all only vaguely curious -- for some reason I just don't get any visceral reaction from Von Hagens or his work or his antics -- but I felt compelled to mention the article here nonetheless.  I mean, this is Elliquiy, right?

Spel

He slashes them cold...
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

OneOfAKiind

Wow.
the first thing that i thought of, sadly, was "did they die like that!?" but I answered my own stupid question.

I never did go to see the bodies on display when they were at the museum downtown. as...interesting... as it might have been, I find myself mostly grossed out.
and when you think of me years down the line, I hope you can't find one good thing to say

Greenthorn

I guess I'll be the one to say that I actually found that picture to be HOT.

*sighs*

Yes, I am twisted, I'm sorry  :D

The Overlord

Is it just me, or does he look a little like Melvin Frohike of the Lone Gunmen?

Trieste

I think it's kind of sad that he's sawing them apart like that. I'm a supporter of the exhibit; I think it's very good for the public to see the same things that med student see in gross lab and whatnot. It's one thing to take a piece of one of the corpses because the rest of it is degraded, or to suit a specific facet of the exhibit. It's another thing entirely to hack up the cadavers just because of a silly law. Display the piece somewhere else... don't destroy the exhibit. It makes me a little sick. That couple was some beautiful, artfully done work. It's both science and art.

Lone

Sticking it to the man, Extreme style....

Wow.
Goodbye is forever...A broken heart never heals, it only forgets. So please do not remind me....
O n O

Spookie Monster

Quote from: Trieste on October 01, 2009, 11:47:43 PMI think it's kind of sad that he's sawing them apart like that. I'm a supporter of the exhibit; I think it's very good for the public to see the same things that med student see in gross lab and whatnot. It's one thing to take a piece of one of the corpses because the rest of it is degraded, or to suit a specific facet of the exhibit. It's another thing entirely to hack up the cadavers just because of a silly law. Display the piece somewhere else... don't destroy the exhibit. It makes me a little sick. That couple was some beautiful, artfully done work. It's both science and art.

Although I personally agree... well, at the risk of misjudging von Hagens, I sense that he himself is glad to have a reason to do so.  His achievements in 'plastination' notwithstanding, the guy seems to be a showman first and an anatomist second; in fact, I'd venture that he's involved in these projects mostly so that he can say, "Ha HA!  Look what I, DR. GUNTHER VON HAGENS, am legally doing to CADAVERS!  HuhuhuhuhuhahahaHAAAAAAAAAAAA!"  In my opinion, he's simply a highly-qualified performance artist.

Quote from: The Overlord on October 01, 2009, 08:19:31 AMIs it just me, or does he look a little like Melvin Frohike of the Lone Gunmen?

I feel really stupid for never noticing that...

Thanks for the replies!

Spel

"I think I'll saw you in an ice cream parlour..."
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~