News:

Main Menu

Pyramid construction

Started by DrFier, July 08, 2014, 02:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrFier

I don't know how accurate IFLS is, but apparently it's been discovered how the pyramids were built:

http://www.iflscience.com/physics/mystery-how-egyptians-moved-pyramid-stones-solved

I figured I'd point it out, because it's something that I was always curious to know.  Almost seems a little anticlimactic in my opinion.
Ons and Offs
Ideas
The Doctor is out.

Screen images simulated. Not an actual physician. Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt. If you have an erection lasting more than four hours, contact your significant other.

Oniya

Looks like the little Oni might have a science fair project for this year!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Abby van Deijck

Can you imagine being the poor woman who had to carry the water to the slabs? It must have taken gallons.

Oniya

Depending on the path they took, and when in the season they did the construction there might have been a good amount of water along the route.  The periodic flooding of the Nile made Egypt quite fertile.  There might also have been something like a 'bucket brigade' passing water jugs from hand-to-hand instead of runners going back and forth, or even ox-carts with larger containers to dip from.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Frelance

That is really interesting to think that the answer to the man power needed to move the blocks has been staring us in the face all this time. It makes me wonder what else is in wall paintings left in those tombs. I would be interested to see how maybe people it would take to pull a seven ton block of stone like some of the ones used in the Giza pyramid would take using this method to move them across the sand.

I would be really interested to see if someone could find the answer to how some of the stone structures have block joints so close that you can't put a piece of paper between them.
Evolution is an arms race

Oniya

I think the block-joints might have to do with the crystalline structure of the stone.  The blocks themselves were cleaved from quarries, so they would naturally fracture along parallel planes, which would make for a closer join.

Frelance

Quote from: Oniya on July 18, 2014, 12:36:06 PM
I think the block-joints might have to do with the crystalline structure of the stone.  The blocks themselves were cleaved from quarries, so they would naturally fracture along parallel planes, which would make for a closer join.

Hmm. I did not know about that. I will have to look into that. Thanks :)
Evolution is an arms race

Rick345

That answers the question how did they get the stone block from the quarry to the building site and how they laid down the foundation... But how did they raise the blocks to the second level, the third and so on till they finally topped it with a cap stone... Ramps are often mentioned but, that would mean moving several tons of sand for every ton of block and people usually figure out how to do a job with the least amount of labour necessary..

Ebb

Quote from: Rick345 on September 21, 2014, 06:41:37 PM
That answers the question how did they get the stone block from the quarry to the building site and how they laid down the foundation... But how did they raise the blocks to the second level, the third and so on till they finally topped it with a cap stone... Ramps are often mentioned but, that would mean moving several tons of sand for every ton of block and people usually figure out how to do a job with the least amount of labour necessary..

Oh, that's easy. They just did the ones at the top first.

Zakharra

I'm reading the comments on the link. hilarious. Almost none of them are accepting the explanation. It can't be that simple, it HAS to be aliens, super advanced sound wave/magnetic technology that Bronze age people somehow knew (but we don't), anything but human muscles and human ingenuity.

Oniya

By the way - little Oni will be trying to work out a small-scale version of this for Science Fair, leading to the interesting situation of 'talking to her History teacher about Tesla [for her 'Leadership and Legacy' project] and her Science teacher about Egypt.'