Crackberry? Do you have one? Do you like it?

Started by Trieste, February 12, 2010, 02:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trieste

I'm thinking of getting one with my upgrade. I'm trying to decide between the Blackberry Curve 8330 (comes in purple! :D :D) or the Blackberry Tour 9630. I love the Curve because not only does it come in purple (and it's $50 cheaper) but I like the keyboard better and it also has wifi capability.

Both have GPS, which is a big money-saver for me, because a GPS unit is becoming a necessity for me in my increasingly-mobile life.

The review of the Tour tells me it seems to have better screen visibility and a better speaker. Also, the vibrator (hur hur) on the Tour is stronger, which means I'm less likely to miss a call, which is awesome because I hate wimpy vibrate motors. I also have an affinity for the trackball as opposed to the trackpad that the Curve has.

In the end, most of the differences that I'm debating are superficial in nature, and so I'm trying to get a feel for the sort of usage and abuse these things can hold up to. I'm not a big talker; I will mostly be using this phone for texting and for its GPS capabilities.

What do you guys think?

Butterflykiss

My name is Butterfly, and I am a Crackberry addict.  ;)

I've tried a few models since I first got into Blackberries. What's essential is making sure your model has all the capabilities you'll be using it for. My fiance has a Pearl, which is great for minimalists, but does not allow for media messaging (including sending and receiving images) and my current model, the Storm2, has a lot of features and great internet access, but the keyboard texting system takes a lot of getting used to. You seem to have chosen GPS and texting as your two main features you want to concentrate on, so go with the model that has the most strengths in these two areas.

Trieste

I plan to make generous use of the calendar, too, if I can figure it out. Having mobile email will be quite nice ... I'm required to purchase a data plan with it (minimum of another $30, oof...) but in general, a Blackberry is really more phone than I need. The plan they'll have me on is really more plan than I'll need, too. I hate paying for more than I need, but going the next step down is too little.

So I have to try and see if Verizon will compromise on something.

Marguerite

The thirty dollars is actually because of the Blackberry falling under several phone that are considered 'smart phones' which means you pay more. They tried to get me like that because I wanted a smaller blackberry and once I found out about the extra fees and reasons, I went for a Samsung Impression. Try to ask the people and get their opinion by stating what you do and do not want in a phone. You can buy lower amount of minutes and by doing that, have more room to pay for extras.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Trieste

Yeah, I'll eventually need a smartphone - or a full on PDA, if they're different - for grad school. I'm told that PDAs, along with a microscope and other similar things, are part of the requirements and not always part of the tuition. So I don't mind picking one up and getting used to it now - also there is an app you can download that's handy for calc... does 3D modeling... can't remember what it's called. So all of those things are perks, even though I don't need them right now.

I'mma head into a Verizon store tomorrow and play with the phones, and also see if I can't make the service reps make the plans a bit more modular for me. Otherwise, I'll skip the upgrade, refuse to renew my contract, and pay monthly until I find a better deal.  ;)

Marguerite

Usually, they will bend in because a lot of of the representatives want to make a sale. If you tell them you want this, this or this and if you cannot get it, just go ahead with not renewing your contract. In a few months, the Blackberry's price will go down or perhaps another PDA from the line will be the one for you.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Trieste

I think I've settled on the Curve because it has wifi and it's less expensive... and it's purple, of course. I'd go for the Tour more easily if my contract didn't jump to $100 a month between the data plan and increased insurance. I might skip the phone insurance and do what Ket does, adding the phone as a rider on my renter's insurance.

What I want is a Verizon Friends/Family plan with about 500 anytime minutes and unlimited text, email, and internet (two out of three of which are covered by the data plan anyway). I would also like to get international texting, but unsure if I can do that and it's not necessary.

I'm a woman who knows what she wants, and I'm not paying $100 a month for twice as much plan as I need after I'm giving Verizon a lot of money for more phone than I need.

*twitch*

Ket

Sadly, most carriers don't do international texting as a plan. You can text internationally, but it will cost you. I know Sprint charges 20 cents per text, so I'm sure the other carriers are pretty close to that.

And I thought verizon had a decent priced combined minutes + everything data plan?
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Trieste

I couldn't find it on their website.

It's like there's all this stuff I can't do myself, so I'm going to make Verizon do it for me.

Ket

Ewww the plans on their website suck.  I can't believe they don't have an everything you plan. You go whip them into shape!
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Trieste

Gonna bring mah crop!

So, while I have you here, how does this insurance rider thing work?

Ket

Well, with my company I have my regular renter's insurance, then I added an electronics rider that I list all my electronics on. I give them brand, model, serial number and market value and they tell me how much to pay them every six months.

Trieste

Okay, so I decided to try the Curve after going to the store and playing with them. We shall see!

somdgirl

Quote from: Trieste on February 14, 2010, 05:18:30 PM
Okay, so I decided to try the Curve after going to the store and playing with them. We shall see!
I have a red curve and I love it. Good luck!

Trieste

Stupid contact list disappeared as soon as I saved another contact in addition to them. I am so bringing this phone back tomorrow and making them transfer it again. For reals this time.

somdgirl

I always back up my contact list once a month. I have had issues with memory errors before. Twice I have completely lost my contact list.  :-( I hope you get your contacts back.

Trieste

Well, my old phone has all the old contacts in it, so...